PDA

View Full Version : Just got done PA183-Port Clinton

Whiterook
02-25-2009, 22:56
Did it with a friend, pretty nice. Started at 6am and got to our car in Port Clinton at 6:20PM. Not bad, it was only our second time doing part of the AT(first time was 501 to 183).

Eagle's Nest shelter was very nice, that is where we ate lunch. Didn't check any of the springs as we brought plenty of water and didn't feel like taking too many side trips.

I'm sure we missed some cool stuff, and I'd like to hear what we missed!

The end got frustrating...we kept thinking we were close but it kept right on going. Plus the rocks. Arg. But Port Clinton was nice to see, going down the mountain was rough! Especially after being tired and having loose boots. That part right at the very end was pretty wild, glad we didn't have to go up it. This was a nice part of trail, only one really steep incline during the meat of the hike, and only about 150 yard incline. It was after the Eagle's Nest shelter somewhat.

We also saw a fenced in area during the one point in the middle of nowhere, pretty big with at trail leading towards it. Any idea what it is?

emerald
02-25-2009, 23:44
We also saw a fenced in area during the one point in the middle of nowhere, pretty big with a trail leading towards it. Any idea what it is?

Save for a short stretch where you crossed an NPS corridor tract, a longer portion of a few miles near Eagle's Nest Shelter on Weiser State Forest and at Port Clinton, you were on State Game Lands. You may have seen a food plot or exclosure where PGC or some researchers were trying to keep deer out.

emerald
02-25-2009, 23:47
I was on the same section you were today at the west end where I visited Rentschler Marker. I'll post an image tomorrow. You likely missed it, most do.

fiddlehead
02-26-2009, 08:51
There used to be turkey pens near the road at about the halfway point of that section.
At one time they also raised pheasants (ring-necks) in them.
They being the PA state game commission.
There are about 20 fields that have been cleared for food for deer mostly. I don't think it worked though. Many more deer are shot down in the valleys than up there.

That section is my home-section. I grew up on it, jog on it, bicycle on it, cross country ski on it, and hike. About 20 years ago, they rerouted the trail off the dirt road along the ridge and put much or it in the forest. About 5 years ago, they logged much of the top of the mountain there too.

You can see my house from the lookout at Eagle's Nest shelter IF you know exactly where to look.

Glad you liked it. You must be from nearby. My house is on the top of the Schuylkill Mountain one mile outside of Haven.

shelterbuilder
02-26-2009, 10:11
The fenced-in area that you saw was on State Forest land in the Weiser Tract. That area was logged about 20 years ago, and I think (but am not 100% sure) that the Bureau of Forestry is trying to keep the deer OUT of that area during reforestation.

The old Game Commission turkey pens were further south and west of this location, but the area isn't visable from the trail. I don't think that the fencing is still in place anymore.

Nice area - LOTS of good ol' Pa,. rocks. There aren't too many views in this area - the Auburn lookout and the lookout at the Eagle's Nest Shelter are the only ones that are close to the trail. Work your way around to the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rocks - now THOSE are views!!

dperry
03-04-2009, 19:27
I'm sure we missed some cool stuff, and I'd like to hear what we missed!

You missed the Eagles' Nest Overlook (not to be confused with the Eagles' Nest Shelter) which is the only significant view to the south in that section, and is also where BMECC was founded in 1916. However, it is more than a mile away from the trail one-way, so it isn't essential, particularly if you went to Auburn Overlook.

You also missed the really scary descent to Phillips' Canyon Spring. I didn't, unfortunately. :(

The end got frustrating...we kept thinking we were close but it kept right on going. Plus the rocks. Arg. But Port Clinton was nice to see, going down the mountain was rough! Especially after being tired and having loose boots. That part right at the very end was pretty wild, glad we didn't have to go up it.

Yeah, that is pretty steep. We were inching down sideways when we got to the part that's just gravel near the end. My poor wife's calves and thighs were killing her. Then we had to climb down the stairs to the railroad and up to the parking lot. :mad:

Yahtzee
03-04-2009, 19:29
At the end of a 24 mile day that started at noon, I got to that gravel part you were describing, slipped and smacked my kneecap straight into a rock. A real kick in the pants after a downhill that is not expected.

J-Rod
02-12-2010, 23:11
There used to be turkey pens near the road at about the halfway point of that section.
At one time they also raised pheasants (ring-necks) in them.
They being the PA state game commission.
There are about 20 fields that have been cleared for food for deer mostly. I don't think it worked though. Many more deer are shot down in the valleys than up there.

That section is my home-section. I grew up on it, jog on it, bicycle on it, cross country ski on it, and hike. About 20 years ago, they rerouted the trail off the dirt road along the ridge and put much or it in the forest. About 5 years ago, they logged much of the top of the mountain there too.

You can see my house from the lookout at Eagle's Nest shelter IF you know exactly where to look.

Glad you liked it. You must be from nearby. My house is on the top of the Schuylkill Mountain one mile outside of Haven.

fiddlehead...I live very close to you :)
i'm also outside Sch Haven

Atreus
05-12-2010, 07:53
Just about 5 miles in, just a short walk from the main trail there is a nice pond to take a quick dip in when the mid August sun is baking. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37636&c=557
I camp near here everu year.

fiddlehead
05-12-2010, 09:39
Just about 5 miles in, just a short walk from the main trail there is a nice pond to take a quick dip in when the mid August sun is baking. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37636&c=557
I camp near here everu year.

That looks like the pond near Heartline campsite.
That is in the other direction (SW) from 183.
Port Clinton is to the NE of 183's AT crossing.
But you are right. It is a nice swimming hole in August

Jack Tarlin
05-12-2010, 11:57
Was recently informed by a PA friend that the little outfitter in Port Clinton has closed, so be careful of what your guidebooks might say, esp. if you were counting on getting gear, fuel, etc. there.

wystiria
05-12-2010, 12:06
That looks like the pond near Heartline campsite.
That is in the other direction (SW) from 183.
Port Clinton is to the NE of 183's AT crossing.
But you are right. It is a nice swimming hole in August

Someone want to help me out with this? we will be doing 140 mile section of PA and go right through this area. I would love to make a side trip for a swim if its warm of the day we pass through. Feel free to PM me :)

emerald
05-12-2010, 15:04
The impoundment about which you inquire was built by Blue Mountain Electric Company maybe in 1906 if memory serves. It was later purchased by Metropolitan Edison Company and used through about 1927. The electricity generated provided power for street lamps in Bethel (Millersburg), likely Rehrersburg and Schubert too.

It's just downhill from Hertlein Campsite, but if you walk north on the A.T. a bit farther not so far as to begin to ascend out of Schuberts Gap, you will see a well-worn trail once a roadbed which is a much better way to access it. Be advised the water is cold and the dam breast is no place for horseplay or unattended children!

Upstream, the rock garden is an equally interesting natural feature beneath which the cold, clear water which flows from it can be heard. The view from the top of it was once better than it is today before the trees obscured it.

wystiria
05-12-2010, 16:43
I can't wait to get home and look at my maps :) while I already have a pretty defined Itenerary it looks like a great little side trip :) I love WB!

thank you!

emerald
05-12-2010, 16:44
Have a blast!:)

stephen
05-12-2010, 18:39
i think this outiftter is closed. I called and got no answer.

J-Rod
05-13-2010, 12:38
i think this outiftter is closed. I called and got no answer.

he closed over a year ago.....Cabela's put him under

wolf
02-19-2011, 23:03
doing trail from port clinton to hawk mtn. in march how is trail---snow,ice etc.

mweinstone
02-19-2011, 23:15
yall aint been hikin that section long enough to remember neys shelter and the turkey hardening farm as clear as me. or the 6 mile fire road walk. or hertlien when it was pristene. have ya?

Yahtzee
02-19-2011, 23:23
yall aint been hikin that section long enough to remember neys shelter and the turkey hardening farm as clear as me. or the 6 mile fire road walk. or hertlien when it was pristene. have ya?

Dude, I am Hertlien. I planted the seed that became the trees that provided the wood for neys shelter. I have, my brother, I have.

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2011, 23:30
Wolf - its going to be muddy. Bring a change for the car and I keep a paper bag in the back.

mweinstone
02-19-2011, 23:38
do you even remember the lazyboy ? where was it? near pocohauntas spring?

emerald
02-20-2011, 01:08
Named for J. Michael Hertlein, a BMECC member whose widow donated funds for a cabin (shelter) built nearby in his memory. Removed circa 1970, it had a poured concrete foundation that may still be located today by those who know where to look.

TheYoungOne
02-21-2011, 17:46
doing trail from port clinton to hawk mtn. in march how is trail---snow,ice etc.

The original thread is from 2010, but I just say that Port Clinton is supposed to get snow tonight into tomorrow, which stinks because it was reall warm just a few days ago. I'm hoping to start day hiking sections between Port Clinton and Lehigh Gap, in late March or early April. Just wear you blaze, March is still hunting season (small game)

emerald
02-21-2011, 23:39
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2 (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2)

For those who don't want to bother to look up hunting seasons or don't know how, it's always a good idea to wear fluorescent orange.