PDA

View Full Version : Wierd stuff with my Garmin GPS

Sly
02-25-2009, 23:41
I have a Legend C but when I turn it on sometimes it shows Vista C. On the menu it has altimeter. Of course the Legend doesn't have an altimeter. I just turned it off and on again and it's back to Legend. :-?

sbennett
02-25-2009, 23:58
wow, your GPS is such a tease....

Sly
02-26-2009, 00:39
wow, your GPS is such a tease....

Yeah, I was hoping it would have altimeter and electronic compass functions. :D

I just reinstalled the software, maybe that will help.

sbennett
02-26-2009, 00:55
I thought mine had an electronic compass that I couldn't figure out how to operate; then I read the instructions and realized it didn't have one.

MintakaCat
02-27-2009, 07:05
I have a Legend C but when I turn it on sometimes it shows Vista C. On the menu it has altimeter. Of course the Legend doesn't have an altimeter. I just turned it off and on again and it's back to Legend. :-?

The Legend C doesn't have an altimeter? I didn't know that. I have the original Garman Legend (without the color display) and it has an altimeter on it. Now that I have found this out I think I'll skip getting a new one.

Sly
02-27-2009, 08:08
The Legend C doesn't have an altimeter? I didn't know that. I have the original Garman Legend (without the color display) and it has an altimeter on it. Now that I have found this out I think I'll skip getting a new one.

I'm not sure if the old Legends had a barometric altimeter either. They'll triangulate elevations using the satellites which is generally close enough.

freakflyer9999
03-02-2009, 15:58
I'm not sure if the old Legends had a barometric altimeter either. They'll triangulate elevations using the satellites which is generally close enough.

With 4 or more satellites, it is probably just as accurate as a barometric altimeter or even more so during changing weather.

Sly
03-02-2009, 16:02
With 4 or more satellites, it is probably just as accurate as a barometric altimeter or even more so during changing weather.

I imagine they would be. Since I have an altimeter watch, with an electronic compass I never considered the Vista. Except for the limited memory, the Legend C works fine.