PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Contact

blackbird04217
02-26-2009, 00:53
Ok let me start off with a statement that I am, out of respect to my parents, looking into ways to have contact with them in the event of an emergency, and to let the know I am ok. I read another thread on here entitled "How to Charge" but other than that haven't noticed many threads about contacting friends/family during the trip. Currently the best answer I can come up with adds almost $300 to my expenses, and I can't see it being fully useful: The Spot. Sure, I can check in daily, but they receive this as e-mails so there could already be a good delay there. And of course The Spot has the press in emergency button, which they claim will work anywhere you can see the open sky since it works with GPS satellites. The problem is this isn't true "contact", although that can be solved each town visit for true updates, and I feel it will be "cool" at first, and relatively annoying and useless after the first month.

On the other hand a cellphone seems like an option; charge at towns, keep the battery out when not in use and should last well enough. However this isn't a very perfect, nor good alternative. First of all it is expensive to maintain, (although if my parents offered to pay the bills, I might tug it along for them), and may not be all that useful in an emergency situation since a lot of the areas will have little to no service. Add in the roaming fees a a couple calls a week of only a few minutes will sky rocket the bill. (I've seen a charge of $10 for the first roaming minute before :O)

I can't think of many other good alternatives, I will have a phone card, and be able to do the bulk of the talking during town visits on a pay-phone or something, but that isn't useful in the event of an emergency. If you are going to post with, "You don't need that stuff." or "You won't be alone so it will be fine", or anything else that claims against using some method of emergency contact, please hold your breath. I am looking into alternative methods since I don't like the above two. I need to keep in touch with the parents out of respect, and so they don't worry to death. Also in the event that something happened it would be nice to know I had some plan.

So what are some more alternatives besides The Spot and Cell Phones for emergency contact to people at basecamp / home? Weight is a con of course, but don't hold back the suggestion; suggest anything and state what you feel the pros/cons are. Thank-you all in advance.

Mrpokey
02-26-2009, 01:12
Just bring the cell phone if your worried. If its a emergency, you'll be glad you had it and even the $10 fee will be acceptable if it is a emergency

fancyfeet
02-26-2009, 01:34
No worries, just bring a pay-as-you-go cell phone. That way you can leave it off most of the time to save batteries and money while staying "disconnected". Set a day and time to call home and check it for messages once a day. That should reassure your family. Just be considerate if using the cell phone around others.

There are payphones in most trail towns, but there's often a long line to use them.

The Spot seems like overkill to me and it's had mixed reviews.

Whatever you do...Good luck!

blackbird04217
02-26-2009, 02:00
Guys, I made my choice about using a contact method. It isn't about shaking my parents off or anything such as that, 2 of 4 people have posted exactly what I had asked not to. Can we just stick with valid options that fit my asking, I don't need this to turn into another thread like "How to Charge" I am 23, and I can make a decision that I want to respect my parents and not make them worry for days on end. As a parent when should they make a call, if I am a day behind schedule getting to a town? 2 days? What if I had just enjoyed an area for a day. Or flipside I had broke my ankle half way through towns? If this stuff happens then it happens, I don't worry about it now. But I don't want my parents to sit there wondering if they should be looking for help or not; therefor some means of contact is needed.

Pay as you go cellphone seems like a cheaper route although wouldn't that have even worse reception through the trail, not to mention the lack of reception is what makes the cellphone a poor choice in the case of an emergency. I know The Spot has "spotty" reviews, but are these the only two options people have for emergency contact? I guess there just isn't much else. No other alternatives similar to The Spot or anything? Thanks again for appropriate answers.

Mrpokey

Hoop
02-26-2009, 07:54
Pre-paid fone might work best (read, cheapest), like above post states. If something dire happens, your folks will find out soon enough; they need to understand that you'll be crossing paths with plenty of people.

Manwich
02-26-2009, 09:22
Get a GMRS or Ham Capable radio, Make contact with other Radio Hobbiests and request that they send an Email. Could be fun. Everybody with Amatuer radios are very friendly and would be more than helpful to send an email along.

My GPS (a Garmin Rino 130) has GMRS Radio built into it. Worked splendidly when my hiking buddy broke his ankle in the presidentials.

warraghiyagey
02-26-2009, 09:28
Almost every town you stop to resupply will have some sort of internet access either at a hostel or the local library, if everyone is comfortable with you checking in every few days all shoud be well and won't add anything to your expenses. The cell phone route also works, just remember to be courteous to other hikers when using it.

shelterbuilder
02-26-2009, 09:55
Let me expand a bit on what fancyfeet said regarding pre-paid phones. I have a Trac-fone and have had one for years. (No, I don't work for Trac-fone, nor do I have stock in the company.) You can buy a cheap one at any Wally World for under $20. Buy a "double minutes" card ($50, plus or minus), and every time you add minutes, you'll get double the minutes that you paid for. You can buy as you go, or buy some cards ahead and put them in your mail drops or bounce box (along with your charger). Trac-fones work off of whatever cell system is in the area where you are, so IF there's ANY signal, you'll get it.

Yes, there ARE places where phone reception is non-existant, and your folks need to know this ahead of time, so that, if you have a pre-set time to call and you miss it, they won't panic right away. Valleys are not good places to get a signal out; mountaintops are better. My phone doesn't have voice-mail, but text messages are saved until I delete them, so there's ALWAYS a way to get a message through, even though there may be a time-delay.

That having been said, your folks also need to know that you will be in the woods for 4 to 6 months - constant contact with the folks back home will probably detract from YOUR experience, IMHO. If you had done this hike 23 years ago, contact would have been limited to pay phones in towns. It's great that you and your folks care enough about each other to want to keep in touch more than that, but at some point in the hike, you may want to think about cutting back on the calls. Again, that's just my opinion....

If you get hurt, and can't get a signal out, don't worry - somebody will be along soon - after all, you aren't the only one out there using the trail! If you're "late" getting to a town (for whatever reason), then you're late - stuff happens, and your folks need to understand this. After all, you aren't "on the clock"!

Good luck.

lizzieGAME09
02-26-2009, 10:19
just another note on Tracfones-- my parents both have them. It's actually only .3 of a minute to send and recieve text messages. So I save them on minutes by texting. The messages are there when you're ready to read them and have reception, and you don't waste minutes/time talking on the phone when you just want to them know you're ok and where you are.

I also suggest giving them a map of the whole trail - even just one printed off your computer - so the text messages will make sense.

Ekul
02-26-2009, 10:37
Dont get a prepaid AT&T, no sigal at least thru GA. Verizon is prolly best option. I had enough bars to either send a text or call when i was walking GA, I dont know bout the rest of the states. I feel ya on the parents thing. Hell Im 29 and still have the respect to give my mom or wife a heads up when I can. Technology is its own beast IMO and most days on the trail I hate it but Im not the one sitting at home being a worry wart and that was my deal in order to get out and enjoy the trail. I however did pass numerous people and places that had phones available and if you are hurt dont get off the trail stay put someone is bound to come by. goodluck

-SEEKER-
02-26-2009, 11:39
I use Tracfone. It latches onto the closest tower and I had service on all my hikes in GA, MD, PA, NJ,& NY. Just got a new one. Online only deal. Camera phone, no roaming, double minutes for life, one year card worth 400 min, plus additional minutes and days for registering on line. Costs $99.00. I also carry a phone card which is renewable at Wal-mart.

cathy
02-26-2009, 12:12
I use a cell phone and take an extra battery. They are not to expensive and can be bought online. I have prearrange times that I call home or that the phone will be turned on. I can be contacted that way if something goes wrong at home or with my parents. I charge the cell about once a week in town. Each battery takes about an hour. I have charged my phone in a laundry mat, a resturant with permission. and at some picnic areas.

booney_1
02-26-2009, 12:38
I'm a parent of college age kids and a hiker...here's my perspective and advice I'd give my own daughter.

1. On the trail away from town-there's no cell phone you can count on (at least in NC/VA). Sometimes on a peak you might get a few bars, but if you break an ankle on the trail, you are dependent on fellow hikers. But that's not so bad, there will be many people coming along. ( a whistle might be the most important communication tool in this case) If you were solo hiking in a remote area, I would definitely want my child to use the SPOT or some other beacon type of device. But this does not describe the AT

2. A pre-paid cell phone (any brand) is likely to work in town. This would be extremely handy just for routine communication, and emergencies in town. (like mom, dad please send me more $$$, I need dry socks!!, it's May...mail me my lite weight sleeping bag!!) Also with a cell-phone they can leave you messages in case of an emergency at their end.

Your parents will want to hear from you when you are in town. These days pay phone are harder and harder to find.

I have also heard Verizon is especially good in NC/VA (darn...I have a multi-year contract with AT&T!!)

I would want to be able to have some long conversations with my daughter, rather than just a short pay phone check in. (parents live for this!!!)

Have a good hike!

Manwich
02-26-2009, 13:38
Dont get a prepaid AT&T, no sigal at least thru GA. Verizon is prolly best option. I had enough bars to either send a text or call when i was walking GA, I dont know bout the rest of the states. I feel ya on the parents thing. Hell Im 29 and still have the respect to give my mom or wife a heads up when I can. Technology is its own beast IMO and most days on the trail I hate it but Im not the one sitting at home being a worry wart and that was my deal in order to get out and enjoy the trail. I however did pass numerous people and places that had phones available and if you are hurt dont get off the trail stay put someone is bound to come by. goodluck

i should note that you shouldn't play into that 'more bars in more places' crap. Most, if not all, cell phone towers are used by all the cellular companies. Verizon makes money renting data usage out on its towers, ATT makes money renting data usage out on their towers... Besides Customer Service, Cellular Sevice is dictated by one thing (besides cell tower availability) which is: The Cell Phone.

Buy a crappy "FREE +$1000 BACK AFTER REBATE" plasticy crapphone, you're going to get horrific service.

Grampie
02-26-2009, 13:58
Well Blackbird, sounds like you being a little paranoic about being out in the woods alone. Heed the advise of others who have posted or just forget going altogether. You have to realize that when you hike the AT you have to give up some comforts of home.
P.S. Shelters do not have any night lights either.

Funkmeister
02-26-2009, 14:10
It seems most have focused in on pre-paid phones, and I have to agree. Seems the most logical and least expensive choice, if you can get out of your current contract.

I have no experience with the Tracfone system described above, but I do have experience with Virgin Mobile. VM is owned by Sprint, and there is no roaming available, so if there is no Sprint towers within the electrical eyesight of your phone, there is no signal. Other prepaid phones may be similar, but like I said, I don't know anything about them. I've used a crappy $10 phone from VM and expected very little. I wasn't disappointed.

In areas with very poor reception, you can get text messages thru where a voice conversation would be difficult or impossible. Texting also saves some battery power somewhat.

Someone above offhandedly mentioned ham radio: Ham radio is not CB radio, and it's not FRS or GMRS radios, either. A ham radio requires a license, which requires a written exam. It's not hard, and you don't need to know Morse code for what we're talking about, but you do need to study to pass the FCC regulated test. Yes, those in the ham radio community are usually friendly types, but are hostile to those who use the equipment without a license. They call those people 'pirates'. A 2-meter VHF ham radio is an option, just realize that there's more to it than spending $100 on a radio and putting it in a ziplock bag. And they weigh about a pound, with 4 AA lithium cells.

Your parents may take some time to adjust to their beloved child undertaking 'such a foolish/ dangerous/ reckless adventure'. Give em time. Happy hiking.

Manwich
02-26-2009, 14:14
Someone above offhandedly mentioned ham radio: Ham radio is not CB radio, and it's not FRS or GMRS radios, either. A ham radio requires a license, which requires a written exam. It's not hard, and you don't need to know Morse code for what we're talking about, but you do need to study to pass the FCC regulated test. Yes, those in the ham radio community are usually friendly types, but are hostile to those who use the equipment without a license. They call those people 'pirates'. A 2-meter VHF ham radio is an option, just realize that there's more to it than spending $100 on a radio and putting it in a ziplock bag. And they weigh about a pound, with 4 AA lithium cells.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. But if you're a hammy then you can enjoy two hobbies on the trail. GMRS too requires a license to an extent.

Ekul
02-26-2009, 14:15
i should note that you shouldn't play into that 'more bars in more places' crap. Most, if not all, cell phone towers are used by all the cellular companies. Verizon makes money renting data usage out on its towers, ATT makes money renting data usage out on their towers... Besides Customer Service, Cellular Sevice is dictated by one thing (besides cell tower availability) which is: The Cell Phone.

Buy a crappy "FREE +$1000 BACK AFTER REBATE" plasticy crapphone, you're going to get horrific service.

Blackberry AT&T vs Verizon boulder PTT phone is my only comparison. I dont care who makes money and how. I only care if my phone works.

blackbird04217
02-26-2009, 15:44
Well I thank everyone that gave positive advice, and really, I'm not looking for hour long convos while I am on the trail, that would certainly detract from my experience. And I would certainly respect other hikers by not using the phone in front of them as afterall they are probably getting away from that 'junk' as well. I've been trying to prepare them for this for months, as I started planning back in October to do this, however they are still weary. My dad was going on about carrying a gun or something else that I could use if anyone was to attack me; the chances I could ask the attacker to stop while I reach for the gun would not be happening, and its pointless. I'm not paranoid about being in the woods, I realize shelters don't have lights and all the goodies of home. That is the objective of my trip. But it is nice for my parents.

Looks like most are saying that the best method is some sort of phone, and texting abilities would be best for just sending a simple "ok" text to them, which will likely help in low reception areas, as well as saving on the battery. Like the title states this is mostly in the event of an emergency. Personally from reading the forum and these posts here I understand the Appalachian Trail has more people walking it than I originally expected, but my parents seem not to understand the concept. Well everyone, thanks again for the help and I will try explaining this to the parents. Have a good day!

Blissful
02-26-2009, 15:59
A cell phone works fine to kep in contact, honestly. Make sure it's Verizon, better coverage (I had coverage even in the 100 mile wilderness). And you're in town every 4 days, so the AT is not remote or wilderness by any means.

Once your parents see you have survived the first week intact, they'll be okay. My 70 yr old dad was not happy I was out there either (and I was 44!). But once he saw we would be okay, we had a handle on it, he went along with it and was great. Its great though you want to help them and keep them involved by staying in contact. Kudos to you, esp at age 23.

Pootz
02-26-2009, 16:18
As far as cell phones go I would only recomend verizon for the AT. During my thru hike I used verison and my hiking partner had AT&T. I had recption in many more places that he or anyone else using a different carrier had. I even had service in the smokies (it was not good and only in a few places), someone on another thread said there was no service in the smokies.

I would also disagree with EKUL that an expensive phone give you better recption, I have the "crappy free money back after rebate, plastic craphone it it works better than most other phones. LGVX5200

Ekul
02-26-2009, 16:26
As far as cell phones go I would only recomend verizon for the AT. During my thru hike I used verison and my hiking partner had AT&T. I had recption in many more places that he or anyone else using a different carrier had. I even had service in the smokies (it was not good and only in a few places), someone on another thread said there was no service in the smokies.

I would also disagree with EKUL that an expensive phone give you better recption, I have the "crappy free money back after rebate, plastic craphone it it works better than most other phones. LGVX5200

I wasnt talking bout $ of phones merely I had reception with a verizon ptt phone vs my partner that had a blackberry from att. I never intended to give that impression. Ive considered a prepay phone also.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 16:51
Whatever you decide to do, make sure your folks know NOT to go into panic mode if they don't hear from you for awhile. I.e., you might tell them "I'm gonna be in Franklin on Friday night and will call you on arrival..." but lo and behold, maybe the weather is bad, or you slow down to enjoy the scenery. If you don't arrive til Sunday morning, make sure they haven't called out the cavalry. In many, many cases, a stretch of Trail (especially in the early days) takes LONGER than you might have anticipated, and not shorter. Every year, someone's family goes bonkers because their beamish boy is "overdue" and is presumably getting ravaged by bears somewhere. The parents call the local poice or Rangers, and the "lost" hiker is invariably found fat and happy, but running a day late on his schedule.

By all means work out a way to stay in touch with the home front, but make sure they know there's always some flexibility in your anticipated "schedule." Having a bunch of Rangers or Sheriffs march into a shelter looking for a lost, wounded hiker, only to find out that there's absolutely nothing wrong, is a big waste of local resources, it really stresses out the folks at home, and can be very embarassing to the hiker.

Hikerwannabe
02-26-2009, 17:06
I personally recommend the SPOT just to let Loved ones know you are OK without having to call. Kayak Karl has carried one since Jan 1st when he started the trail, and at very least when he doesn't have cell phone signal I get a OK signal in the AM when he starts for the day and a OK when he ends for the day. I actually get a email as well as a text that comes to my cell phone. This keeps my mind at ease to just know he's OK. It also has the Help feature as well as the 911 feature. It might seem a little costly to some but with the yearly fee it also includes insurance in the event search and rescue had to be sent out for you which is a big plus because that could be a overwhelming expense. The other benefit of SPOT is the tracking option if your parents or others would like to track how far you are hiking. I know my family has throughly enjoyed watching Karls progress...Just something to think about :-?
Good Luck with whatever you decide on...:)

blackbird04217
02-26-2009, 17:12
Yea Jack, that is something I am hoping they will get over, and I still have some time to convince them of that. I plan on doing the hike at my own schedule, whether that means taking an extra bit of time to enjoy the view, or to just keep on hauling. I have gone through alot of effort to make sure I didn't need to rush my trip, and rushing to the next town or reception spot will not be on my list of things to do. Someone in the thread wrote I am not on the clock, thats exactly right and I don't plan to rush anything. Will make sure my parents don't freak out, but thats also why I was looking into an option of on trail access; cellphones seem to be a better option than I expected, although I may have to look into pricing. A simple "ok" text or e-mail sent to them once or twice a day, lunch and dinner or something appropriate, out of the way of others is something that would have them less concerned if I decided to take 2 or 3 extra days between towns; due to weather or anything.

The Weasel
02-26-2009, 17:31
Use the cell phone to TEXT them a prerecorded "I'm fine today, will call from next town" message. You can send that at minimal cost each day, and use only a small bit of battery power.

TW

JAK
02-26-2009, 17:56
When I hike I like to leave a message on my answering machine each day, where I am, and where I plan to go next. That might be a bit pricey on a thru-hike. It's nice if they answer too, but a message is sufficient to keep them from worrying. I'm 46, male, and very replaceable, but its also nice to keep the myth alive that a couple of people in this world care about me. One is still young enough not to know better. The other I'm guessing is just as crazy as when I met her.

I would find the cheapest way to leave a simple message each day. If you are at that stage in your life when once a month is enough, that's good also. I had that for a few years, and miss it in a way, but not enough to remain single forever. Freedom is both sought and feared.

Tilly
02-26-2009, 18:27
I've never had a cell before but the summer I got a Tracphone at the DOLLAR STORE!!!!! Yes!!! And I just recharged the thing for the year. It cost 99 d plus tax and I have over 1000 minutes, which I'll probably never use. The phone I have gets voicemail but I don't know how to get into it.

Anyway, tracphones are a good deal. Much better than phone cards. Never again!

blackbird04217
02-26-2009, 18:39
Hikerwannabe - thanks for some info on The Spot. I liked the idea of it working off GPS satellites meaning it has virtually 100% coverage of the AT (I believe), and thus is more convenient than a cellphone, although its limitation is only e-mail / text of "ok" with a direct position. I think my parents would like this option knowing that I can call someone for help at anytime, but I have been skeptical because of some reviews I have heard. The tracking option could be neat, but at an extra $50 I won't be buying it unless my parents pay :P I like the sounds of it versus a cellphone since I wouldn't need a charger or anything and thats a bonus.

From what people are writing I think I will be getting either a Tracphone for around $100 or so, or the The Spot for $270. Since TracPhones allow texting for .3 minutes each, I think that is a good solution as mentioned for low reception and a simple OK message. The Spot has the advantage of no charging and emergence 911 call if truly needed which might keep my parents more at ease. I am not caring much about talking to them and communicating daily, but I know they worry, and I want to ease their mind by presenting them with a plan if something occurred. So, I have been transitioned into two options: TracPhone and The Spot. If someone has more experience with The Spot I would like to know more, in the field, average user experience stuff.

Also, TracPhones; (the specifics are dependent of where but answer in general) how is reception in general and the roaming coverage/expense on your minutes?

Tilly
02-26-2009, 18:47
Minutes are minutes of tracphones.

The reception was comparable to any other cell phone, IMHO. I got OK reception in MI this year through a nat'l forest...if I couldn't get any in the morning I would walk for awhile and eventually get some. Worked well enough.

shelterbuilder
02-26-2009, 22:03
Trac-fones: reception will vary with terrain (as with any cellphone) but is generally good. I'm in S.E. Pa., and I can think of only one area where there is absolutely no cell service (in the Rausch Gap Shelter area, because it's in a deep valley where there are no towers).

Since I only use my phone for text messages, my costs never vary. Yours may.

MintakaCat
02-26-2009, 22:42

Hmmm, mine is only 7oz. But he's right, Hams will know in a skinny minute if you have a license or not. I've been one for over 30 years and my advice is that unless you want to make Ham Radio a hobby....stick to cell phones. Otherwise that's like buying a 40 ft boat to cross a 30 ft creek.

q-tip
02-27-2009, 12:09
To give my mom some peace of mind, I am giving her a map of the trail so she can see where I am and how far to the next town. this and the spot and phone calls from town are my plan, and I do appreciate the need...

dixicritter
02-27-2009, 18:37
When SGT Rock was hiking the trail he used a cell phone to stay in touch with us here at home. There wasn't always a signal, but most of the time he could at least get off a text message to let me know that he was OK.

There was a time that his phone wasn't working properly (wouldn't hold a charge) so he let me know this and let me know he would get in touch with me when he got to the next town. He gave me an approximate time frame and since I know him and his hiking abilities I waited to hear from him. Our deal was not to worry unless I didn't hear from him unless he was more than two to three days over due.

I think it is important to note that those of us who are left in the rear do have brains in our heads, and know how to follow a plan when one is in place. The hiker just needs to spell it out for his/her family... "hey look, only notify the authorities if I am X number of days over due and not before." This would stop all the needless calls to the rangers for searches for missing hikers that aren't really missing.

Also Hikers... Don't forger to stay in contact with your family if you have promised to do so! Again this will stop those needless calls to the rangers for searches for your missing butts when you aren't really missing. Simple really. Just stay in touch. It only takes a few seconds out of your "busy" schedule.

OK I'll get off my soap box now, but some of you really touched a nerve that I just couldn't let this one alone any longer. Sorry about that.