PDA

View Full Version : Painting on a thermarest?

.5step
02-26-2009, 12:40
Hey folks,

I'm leaving in 2 weeks for my thru and was thinking about painting a backgammon and chess/checkers board on the back of my thermarest. It's a 3/4 prolite 3.

Does anyone here have any tips on what sort of paint I should use on thermarest material? Rather, what paint I should definitely not use?

If paint doesn't work, I guess a sharpie might....

Thanks for any tips!

Slo-go'en
02-26-2009, 12:46
Interesting idea. I would think the sharpie would be the best bet. Maybe you should submit the idea to Thermarest and they can come out with a line of mats with game boards printed on them.

G. Rabbit
02-26-2009, 13:07
Sharpie makes paint markers that work great on fabric, especially on dark colors. It's much more permanent than most paint markers. I think the color choice is either silver or gold. Normal sharpies would work on the orange side and they come in just about any color if you want to get a little creative.

Manwich
02-26-2009, 13:09
see if you can somehow do an Oil-Based stain. I know once Oil is in the thermarest it's never coming out (i accidentally spilled motor oil on my thermarest and 2 years later it's still stained)

fiddlehead
02-26-2009, 15:09
I never used a thermo-rest but my friends would use a sharpie for their backgammon games.
Personally, i like craps so used sharpie to put a craps table on my foam pad.
Also, my tyvek ground sheet gets used as a signboard for different hitchike destinations often.
Backpacking equipment is supposed to be doubled up as more than one use item.

Jim Adams
02-26-2009, 15:31
You could even draw a dart board on the other side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

geek

Cabin Fever
02-26-2009, 15:35
That is a fantastic idea. I would be surprised if Thermarest wasn't receptive of it.

Nicksaari
02-26-2009, 19:16
someone should email those guys. maybe they'll give them a share of the company, or free pads!! i get the first free pad though. okay fine, the second.

boarstone
02-26-2009, 21:29
Use the sharpie that is for clothing, it's waterproof..READ the package...should have waterproof/permanent on the package.

Franco
02-26-2009, 22:12
Great idea ! I have seen sleeves like that and some mats but never thought of painting directly onto one.
Franco

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/GameBoard1.jpg

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2009, 22:16
Interesting idea. I would think the sharpie would be the best bet. Maybe you should submit the idea to Thermarest and they can come out with a line of mats with game boards printed on them.

Hell no, patent first and then go talk to them.

lizzieGAME09
02-26-2009, 22:25
that is absolutely brilliant. if they made one, i would've paid more to get it. definitely SELL that idea before somebody else on whiteblaze does.

dloome
02-26-2009, 23:34
This is fun. I know a couple people who have a checkerboard Sharpied on their pads and use natural "pieces" to play: One person uses little bits of twigs, the other uses little pebbles, etc.

I've also played something like Chinese checkers using the dimples on the Z-Rest pads.

Feral Bill
02-26-2009, 23:52
What will the solvent in Sharpie ink of the chosen paint do the the inside coating? Leaky Thermarest BAD!

Franco
02-27-2009, 00:00
as for the "patent" the idea, just in case it was a serious comment..
have you ever tried to patent anything ?
(difficult,expensive,very time consuming)
Franco

fraufrack
02-27-2009, 02:36
If you paint, make sure it's fabric paint. Regular acrylic or oil paints would work if you cover the surface with a primer first, but I'm not sure it'd be really durable with the rolling / folding of the pad you will do everyday. Sounds like fabric pens or markers would be the safest and most hassle-free choice. Great idea!

fraufrack
02-27-2009, 02:43
see if you can somehow do an Oil-Based stain. I know once Oil is in the thermarest it's never coming out (i accidentally spilled motor oil on my thermarest and 2 years later it's still stained)

In that case... perhaps primer is unnecessary. A small tube of oil paint from your craft store should do the trick, but you may want to check the ingredients, if they're listed. Usually you would dilute oil paint with a thinner like mineral spirits, but that stuff is strong and dangerous and thermarest material may not stand up to it. Maybe it will. I'm not going to test it on my thermarest prolite! Alternatives: (1) apply the paint straight on, but expect it to take at least a couple days to dry, or (2) check out water soluble oil paints. I'm not experienced with those, but it sounds like they could work, and I think they're cheaper too.

.5step
03-12-2009, 02:05
hey folks--

Thanks for all the tips and ideas!

I ended up using a sharpie to draw a backgammon and chess/checkers board on my thermarest.

And I appreciate the idea of a dart board JA, but I opted for a foosball table on the other side instead.

Anyway, just so you all know, I ended up using the waterproof sharpie a few days ago and the thermarest:

a) stays inflated
b) does not bleed onto other items when wet

Heading to AFSP in two days!

skinewmexico
03-12-2009, 11:26
I've seen those somewhere, so I don't think you could patent it. And I know I've seen sleeves that go over a thermarest type pad. http://gearx.com/thermarest-game-sleeve-for-thermarest.html

tuswm
03-13-2009, 01:34
auto parts stores have fabric paint for painting car seats and stuff.

sarbar
03-14-2009, 00:33
You need this mat (http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2008/index.cfm?action=product&productID=116&groupID=40&familyID=1)!
:D

mweinstone
03-23-2009, 08:08
worst stupidist idea ever. please get out of my comic book store. pads are bounsy and for sitting on while playing. insert threatning backgammon acomplishments here and chllange/intimidate all gamers here and now to beat me at gammon. a gamedanna is what you need. bandanna with games on it. better are the scores of mini cool trailmade sets flowing down sexy girls thigh pockets ready to play men at chess or gammon with a hip fired cooly set of stone or stickware. doubling cubes should only be used to gamble for strip . trail moneys may not be threatened. loose your shirt not your hike. gamble responsibly. amble i ment.

warraghiyagey
03-23-2009, 08:12
worst stupidist idea ever. please get out of my comic book store. pads are bounsy and for sitting on while playing. insert threatning backgammon acomplishments here and chllange/intimidate all gamers here and now to beat me at gammon. a gamedanna is what you need. bandanna with games on it. better are the scores of mini cool trailmade sets flowing down sexy girls thigh pockets ready to play men at chess or gammon with a hip fired cooly set of stone or stickware. doubling cubes should only be used to gamble for strip . trail moneys may not be threatened. loose your shirt not your hike. gamble responsibly. amble i ment.
Exaclty. . . :sun

kayak karl
03-23-2009, 09:15
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/ this stuff works great. doesnt crack