PDA

View Full Version : Hanover, NH area stories and observations

Cadence
02-26-2009, 12:47
Hanover High School has a program called March Intensive in which students engage in 4 days of intensive study and activities outside of the normal curriculum. I'm co-directing a mini-course on the forests of New England, during which one day will be devoted to trails and recreation issues (with lunch at the Velvet Rocks shelter and some afternoon trail work). The morning will include a presentation on trails and discussion with local trails folks, including Matt Stevens of the Appalacian Trail Conservency, and a Dartmouth film course documentary that includes interviews with thru-hikers.
If you have a story or observation or anything else related to the AT in our area that you would like to share with the 12 students in the course, please send it our way.

Blissful
02-26-2009, 15:54
Have you talked to Jack Tarlin?

Kirby
02-26-2009, 17:53
Jack is your best bet in that area.

He's a god amongst mere mortals.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 17:55
Well Kirby's laying it on a bit thick, Cadence, but if I can help you with anything, get in touch.

Just do it before 5 March.

Nicksaari
02-26-2009, 19:11
is that your departure date Jack?
i dont think im going to be able to make it to trail days this year, BUT i will be out in the grayson highlands area the week after trail days 17th-22nd. as i pray for good timing ill hit the trail the trail for a day with yous guys, be a wannabe for a day, def bring some libation, haha.

do you have any idea where youll be the first weekend of june in Va? ill try to catch up with y'all in Hog Camp Gap.

Bare Bear
03-01-2009, 19:38
All I know is that Jack made himself scarece when I passed thru. I heard from the hiker vine that he had four college age girls staying at his place......the legend continues. I had hoped we would meet for a beer, and yes I went by his favorite bar several times while in town.

Chaco Taco
03-01-2009, 19:59
I remember the day Wakapak, myself and Johnny Thunder walked into Hanover. We stopped at the Dirt Cowboy and sat on the sidewalk benches. We saw Jack come up and he gave us a huge high five and said, " Welcome to Hanover". This day sticks out in my memory as one of the coolest days on our thru. Jack proceeded to help us out throughout our entire stay and even sponsored a hiker party at his place. Wak and I enjoyed Hanover so much that we even considered moving to Hanover for a year after our hike but this southern boy would have never made it through a New England winter.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 17:59
Not thru THIS winter, at any rate.

Looking forward very much to being in your neck of the woods, Chac, and that's exactly what's gonna happen in just over a week.

Sure hope Mr. Gore doesn't try and push the global warming thing this week in Grafton Country, unless he wants to enjoy the local scenery from a very high tree branch.

Followed by what in Texas is referred to as a "long drop."

Anyway, Chac, see you in God's country, ie. North Carolina, as soon as humanly possible.

The Weasel
03-02-2009, 18:10
Hanover High School has a program called March Intensive in which students engage in 4 days of intensive study and activities outside of the normal curriculum. I'm co-directing a mini-course on the forests of New England, during which one day will be devoted to trails and recreation issues (with lunch at the Velvet Rocks shelter and some afternoon trail work). The morning will include a presentation on trails and discussion with local trails folks, including Matt Stevens of the Appalacian Trail Conservency, and a Dartmouth film course documentary that includes interviews with thru-hikers.
If you have a story or observation or anything else related to the AT in our area that you would like to share with the 12 students in the course, please send it our way.

Jack -- In '01, I hiked from Ben and Whits to the first real road crossing past the real trail north of the college. While I waited for my shuttle ride back to Norwich, I wandered through a cemetary right there, which has, I think - think - a Medal of Honor winner from the Civil War. It struck me as sort of a "bookend" for the North Carolina gravesite that's on the Trail. You might want to let your students know that there is much about the Civil War on the AT. (If I'm wrong about the Medal of Honor, I'm right that there are a lot of Civil War veterans in that cemetary.)

TW

The Weasel
03-02-2009, 18:16
Jack:

I think it's this one. Is the Etna Cemetary just off the Trail?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7146333

TW

High Life
03-02-2009, 18:18
i walked into hanover last year and badly wanted a shower . after several tries at the Dartmouth pool ( it was all locked up ) , someone told me an address of a co-op house
i reluctantly knocked on the door and was greeted by a couple of nice co-eds. they let me take a shower. afterwards i noticed a sign in the kitchen . It was a trail sign in DOC orange that read " this is not the A.T ( AT / A over T ) .. i got my photo taken with the sign . then they showed me a hiker log .. last hiker to come through there and sign was 98' so i signed it ..
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/0/2/5/photo26.jpg

ramblin rose
03-31-2009, 15:07
make sure all the students know about GRADUATING EARLY.
its super easy to graduate a semester early from hanover high, and then hit the trail.