PDA

View Full Version : parmesan cheese

Pickleodeon
02-26-2009, 12:56
Hello, the little containers of Parmesan (sp?) cheese, they're tall and skinny, green label from Kraft. Are they ok to be not refrigerated, like, can I carry it on the trail? I carry other cheeses not refrigerated- (I read the cheese thread), but I keep hearing about shelf stable parmesan. Can I just carry one of these Kraft guys, or if not, where can I find shelf stable parm? Thanks.

My grandmother calls it "parm-EE-shen" cheese :)

fehchet
02-26-2009, 13:12
Yes. Carry several.

Bearpaw88
02-26-2009, 13:35
They are fine without refrigeration. So is most ANY cheese. Take a block of cheddar with you when you leave town. There is no way it will go bad by the time your starving hiker belly will eat it.

rhjanes
02-26-2009, 13:36
I think Pizza Hut, has it in little packets, single serve. They also have red pepper flakes in the same packets. I guess it would depend on how much you need! One of those small krafts, is a LOT

nufsaid
02-26-2009, 13:49
I think Pizza Hut, has it in little packets, single serve. They also have red pepper flakes in the same packets. I guess it would depend on how much you need! One of those small krafts, is a LOT

How much do you pay Pizza Hut for the goodies that you do not intend to consume with your meal?

dradius
02-26-2009, 13:52
How much do you pay Pizza Hut for the goodies that you do not intend to consume with your meal?
these days, probably about $20 for a pizza and a couple fountain drinks

sly dog
02-26-2009, 15:02

I see no problem with taking home something that is for your food in the store but not using it in the store. However pocketing a handfull is wrong. When I go to subway I ask for the oil packets for my hogie but I dont put them on it, I save it for hiking, whats wrong with that? The little packets of everything are online and cheep, when you look at how much you will spend on food spending the extra $10 for multiple mini packets is way worth it.

budforester
02-26-2009, 15:42
Hello, the little containers of Parmesan (sp?) cheese, they're tall and skinny, green label from Kraft. Are they ok to be not refrigerated, like, can I carry it on the trail? I carry other cheeses not refrigerated- (I read the cheese thread), but I keep hearing about shelf stable parmesan:)

I suspect that's what is meant by the references to "shelf- stable parmesan". It's tasty and convenient to sprinkle on all kinds of grub. It is drier than "real" parmesan, and its shelf life depends on keeping it that way. Avoid the giant economy size, keep it capped, and watch out for high humidity, temperature swings, and rain. BTW, real parmesan is already one of the most stable cheeses made.

Pickleodeon
02-26-2009, 15:46
thanks, I thought it would be ok. parmesan, that is. which was the question.

Blissful
02-26-2009, 16:05
Or better yet, carry a small hunk of the real stuff. A good hard cheese, no problem with it.

hoz
02-26-2009, 16:41
I don't consider scrounging salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickle relish, hot sauce, plastic forks spoons or Parmesan cheese packets from a fast food joint to be wrong. It's called "dirtbag" camping.

JAK
02-26-2009, 17:43
The real crime is all the food and plastic and napkins we waste. Focus on that.

rhjanes
02-26-2009, 17:50
How much do you pay Pizza Hut for the goodies that you do not intend to consume with your meal?Where did I say I took them? I didn't/don't. When they deliver, they usually have about 20 cheese and a few peppers in the order. If you don't use them, or use the Kraft you bought at the grocery store, then you can save the packets for hike-time. Why throw them away? Save them.
If you go into a store, ask if you can buy some.

Hikes in Rain
02-26-2009, 18:35
Or better yet, carry a small hunk of the real stuff. A good hard cheese, no problem with it.

Second that suggestion. Just shave it right into your dinner. FAR superior to the Kraft dust. In my never to be humble opinion.

Feral Bill
02-26-2009, 21:27
Anyone know of a useful tiny cheese grater for the good stuff?

theinfamousj
02-26-2009, 21:42

Never tried it ... but what about the file/grater thing on a multi-tool or gadgety pocket knife. You know, the one that is too rough to use on nails and looks like diagonal lines that intersect?

Nest
02-26-2009, 22:43

One of those small tall Kraft containers would only last me 2 or 3 meals. I really like cheese though.

sarbar
02-26-2009, 23:56
Yes, those little container are quite shelf stable - only in recent years did they start writing "keep refrigerated" on the side. If used up in a couple weeks it will be fine - in most cases the stuff is fine for months.

It cracks me up when I see on stuff like soy sauce "keep refrigerated" - many condiments should not see a fridge! Kind of like when you see that on cooking oil!

But most companies slap that on the products to keep customers from whining when a 6 year old bottle of stuff goes bad ;)

The beauty of Parmesan cheese in a bottle? It has been dry aging for at least 10 months before it even got sent to the market! Then it can sit on the shelf for up to a year or so. That stuff has shelf life! :)

So go ahead, use without fear!

And PS: you can get little packets of Kraft from both Minimus and Packitgourmet. As for tiny graters? GSI makes a nifty one!

budforester
02-27-2009, 00:01

I saw a cute one over on Sarbar's site, on her kitchen page (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/utensilskitchengear.htm).

Sly
02-27-2009, 00:32
I saw a cute one over on Sarbar's site, on her kitchen page (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/utensilskitchengear.htm).

very nice.

sarbar
02-27-2009, 02:01
Yep, it is a cute one! Works so good I use it at home :D

mkmangold
02-27-2009, 02:22

Or use one of those callous scrapers: keeps the flakes of whatever (skin, cheese) inside the "egg" part.

daddytwosticks
02-27-2009, 08:38
Callous scraper, AND cheese grater...dual use!

Hikes in Rain
02-27-2009, 08:43
While you're at it (not to hijack the thread), grab the Lexan pepper grinder. I have one, and won't hit the trail without it. As someone mentioned earlier, it's such high quality I use it at home. It's sitting by the stove now, currently filled with szechuan black peppercorns. (I use it for speciality peppers)

sarbar
02-27-2009, 14:22
Hikes in rain - yep, love my grinder! :) I know, it isn't the most UL tool but on certain trips I always have it :)

Many Walks
02-27-2009, 15:43
Pickleodeon, we never refrigerate our grated Parmesan cheese and never had a problem. If you use a real block I think you could just shave it with your knife. Haven't tried it, but I will. Seems like it would work fine. As I recall, you're getting close to your hike. Hope you have a great one!

emerald
02-27-2009, 15:59
On the other hand, if you really want to know, you could call or email Penn State Cooperative Extension (http://berks.extension.psu.edu/) in Bern Township. I notice they have a Leesport address which would be a local call.:-?

Sometimes young people amaze me.:rolleyes: If nothing else, Pickle may yet make others aware of resources right under their noses!:)

Feral Bill
02-27-2009, 21:19

That's it! Feral Bill wants one now!

Desert Reprobate
02-28-2009, 01:40
This should work http://cgi.ebay.com/GSI-Outdoors-Stainless-Steel-Mini-Grater-GSI-64012_W0QQitemZ290261468452QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item290261468452&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Desert Reprobate
02-28-2009, 01:48
If you can't find it on Ebay, you probably really don't need it.

mbanja
02-28-2009, 01:56
i can't stand box mac and cheese (is that blasphemy on WB?). I always eat the same thing for dinner on section hikes. Elbow mac and TONS of the parm in the little green shaker. I've had it on several hikes and never had one go south on me. It's so good that I don't even need to add butter to the pasta. best mac and cheese you can get in the middle of nowhere. Good stuff and it holds up in high and low temps.

Nest
03-01-2009, 00:53
i can't stand box mac and cheese (is that blasphemy on WB?). I always eat the same thing for dinner on section hikes. Elbow mac and TONS of the parm in the little green shaker. I've had it on several hikes and never had one go south on me. It's so good that I don't even need to add butter to the pasta. best mac and cheese you can get in the middle of nowhere. Good stuff and it holds up in high and low temps.

So just regular elbow mac from a box and parmesan cheese? Makes me think of trying that, but with a block of cream cheese instead.

sarbar
03-01-2009, 02:22
4 to 6 ounces of regular macaroni (or any small quick cooking pasta - under 7 minutes). Cook up, drain, add in a little oil, a ton of Parmesan and seasoning as desired and hello dinner.

Cream cheese melts in perfectly - use 1 to 2 ounces for the above noodles, no need to add oil. But add lots of Parmesan as well - poor man's alfredo :D

russb
03-01-2009, 09:34
4 to 6 ounces of regular macaroni (or any small quick cooking pasta - under 7 minutes). Cook up, drain, add in a little oil, a ton of Parmesan and seasoning as desired and hello dinner.

Cream cheese melts in perfectly - use 1 to 2 ounces for the above noodles, no need to add oil. But add lots of Parmesan as well - poor man's alfredo :D

Interesting you mention cream cheese... My home-cooked alfredo recipe uses a tbs of cream cheese. It adds a little zing and some additional creaminess/texture to the sauce. I also do not use all heavy cream anymore but instead use evaporated milk for 50% of the heavy cream ingredient.

vonfrick
03-01-2009, 10:13
Callous scraper, AND cheese grater...dual use!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick029.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

hoz
03-01-2009, 11:06

Ummmsounds tasty, but you forgot garlic. Gots to have the garlic!

sarbar
03-01-2009, 13:29
True, lots of garlic! Ya gotta have it!

Btw, on the cream cheese - I use it often at home instead of cream. Lower fat/calories and I like the taste :)