PDA

View Full Version : Start some talking...

gravityman
05-18-2004, 12:02
Hi Guys,
Not much going on here, so I thought that I would start a discussion to see what people are doing for conditioning for their hike.

Just as an intro, my wife and I (unmarried at the time) started a thru-attempt on March 1, 2001 (Gravity Man and Tuffie). We got to Front Royal were we decided to skip over Penn (although this was the beginning of the end, we were just trying to do whatever we could to stay on trail at the time), started again after a week off at NJ, and left the trail after a few more days. My wife had Neuromas in her feet (shooting pain with every step that was bringing her to tears) and I just couldn't take putting her through that, it was a miserably hot day, and we had lost our momentum by skipping ahead. Anyway, we left the trail, but it didn't leave us. We have fixed the foot problem, and trained for a marathon which we both sucessfully ran May 9th. Over 400 miles of running has us convinced that the foot problem most likely won't come back! We have arrange a leave of absence and plan to start March 1, 2005! YIPPIE

Anyway, we are so excited about it this time, that we have all kinds of conditioning planned. This summer we are going to spend 20 days on the Long Trail, we've run the marathon, and we have a training schedule to try to get us in shape for that.

Anyway, some will say the trail will get you in shape, but we want to try to avoid injury at all possible cost, as it will be VERY difficult to get this kind of time off again (and it's a big risk to my job). We want to make it! Plus we find it fun and it also makes the hike real to us every day.

So, are any other people starting to plan their shake down hikes? Or have a training schedule? We also found out how important the smaller muscle groups are in preventing injury, so we are trying to strength train those as well.

Hope to hear from some people!

Waffle and Danger Pee

kaytee
05-18-2004, 19:39
I'm a member of the swim team at the university I attend so until mid-February I will be swimming. After that I will be switching to the rowing ergometer and bike. I'm not super fond of winter, so I might or might not run. My biggest problem right now with land sports is that I have mistery foot pains.

I want to be in pretty good shape when I start because I want to finish the trail before I go back to school in the fall. It is a kind of tight schedual, but I want to give it my best shot to get as far as possible.

Stabes
05-18-2004, 21:06
Well I tried to post my introduction and it didn't seem to work, but I will try again here...
My name is Heather, I plan on attempting a thru-hike starting probably in mid April. As far as condintioning, I live in Ohio and plan on hiking all the weekends I can on all the Ohio trails, none of which seem very challenging, but with work and stuff, that's the best I can do. I also plan on a 4 or 5 day hike in South Dakota in August through the blackhills which I think will be a little bit better test of my gear. Summer is easy, I am just hoping that once winter comes, an impending 2176 mile hike will motivate me to not become the hibernating slug I usually am and will continue to get out there and stay in shape through the snow and cold so that come April I will be prepared for the long haul! :rolleyes:

art to linda
05-18-2004, 21:45
My name is Linda and I work outside from May to July (I work for a Greenhouse & the season is from January to July), the rest of the year I opperate an Art Studio doing paintings along with desiging & building Theater sets & props. The jobs involves a lot of walking,lifting & moving weight along with being ouside in all kinds of weather(this is Minnesota LOL) so by the time I start SOBO I should be in good shape. This summer the plan is to take my daughter out on a week long hike locally then if my luck holds, take 2 weeks & do a shake-down hike on the AT. Nothing is set in stone yet, only time will tell. :D

Stuart
05-18-2004, 22:07
After getting into the best shape of my life back in 2002, which included a marathon, I have spent 2003 with a hip/groin problem that had pretty much shut me down. I was just about to start 1/2 Ironman-distance triathlons, had laid down a fortune on a bike and entrance fees, etc. and WHAM! Out of nowhere I'm hit with a hip problem that doctors couldn't diagnose or fix. Medication, physical therapy twice, x-rays, mri, a chiropractor, etc. all for naught. As a last hope I tried a new chiropractor in town and three months later I'm probably 85% better, possibly more.

Anyway through the ordeal I went from 205 lbs. and about 8% body fat to about 260+, all the result of being fairly bummed about the indefinite nature of the diagnosis with conclusions such as "this may be a pre-arthritic condition." I basically thought my days of physical activity were over and let me tell you that's a pill I'm not sure I can swallow.

So here I am about a year out and I need to drop about 50 pounds. I'm a pretty big guy, so 50 to me is bout like 30 to most. I am just getting back to the point that I can run again, but I'll have to ease into it. For a year I have had a chronic adductor strain that would flare up severely if I ran more than half a mile.

Anyway I intend to hit the gym about 4-5 times per week and mix fast walking (4 mph) and jogging (6.3 mph) along with elliptical machine etc. I also plan to hike in the Smokies about once per month, hoping to get in a couple longer 4-5 day trips this summer.

Hopefully by end of the year my weight will be back in line with where I need it to be for the hike. At that point I'm going to really focus on hardening myself to backpacking to insure that I can hit the trail running so to speak. I do not have the liberty of taking the first month of the hike to get in shape or acclimated. If I'm going to make it in my shorter time frame I have to be as acclimated as possible from the get go.

Stuart
05-18-2004, 22:24
Also regarding shakedown hikes, I'm shaking everything down to the Nth degree. Given the hip ordeal and my desire/need to move quickly I'm switching to an ultralite approach. So much of what I'll be using will be new to me and I don't have the luxury of enough time to figure out what will work and what won't after the hike starts, I need to get that all worked out prior. So I'll be taking my ultralite setup on as many hikes as possible.

No particular schedule other than an early June thru of the Smokies and then a later June 3-day trip. I'd like to get in another 3-4 day trip in the summer. Thereafter I'd like to get in a weekender each month if possible. I plan to supplement this with hiking around a local wildlife refuge with my gear, won't be the real thing, but about as good as I can do close to home.

A big issue with me regarding shakingdown equipment is footwear. To me this is a critical piece of equipment to come to terms with prior to starting the thruhike. I haven't found the answer yet.

gravityman
05-19-2004, 11:03
Looks like people are out there and planning! I can barely stand it!

Kaytee - I'm curious, what is the foot pains? As I said, my wife went through a lot of foot pain, so we have some serious sympathy there!

Stuart - Sounds like you have some serious training planned! It's tough getting injured, I know! I got ITBS (pain on the outside of the knee) when training for the marathon, but after 15 weeks of training I wasn't going to give up! I stopped running for 3 weeks, and then ran the marathon. I was very happy that there was very little pain. But it took me a lot longer 'cause of the loss of conditioning. But I made it! My wife also had Hip Pain when training for the marathon. The first PT person that she saw was lost on trying to fix it. We say a different PT person who was a lot more knowledgable, and it was better in 3 weeks! Plus she had to take about a week off from running. Strengthening it was the key for her.

Since you ALMOST asked, we use trail runners for our shoes (Asics Gel Eagle Trail) because we both have wide forefeet, and they are decent forefoot cushioning. Looking at a Nike trail runner that has air in the forefoot... But we have sworn off boots!

Anyway, YIPPIE!

Gravity man

Stuart
05-19-2004, 19:52
Stuart - Sounds like you have some serious training planned! It's tough getting injured, I know! I got ITBS (pain on the outside of the knee) when training for the marathon, but after 15 weeks of training I wasn't going to give up! I stopped running for 3 weeks, and then ran the marathon. I was very happy that there was very little pain. But it took me a lot longer 'cause of the loss of conditioning. But I made it!

I had a very similar experience. I cut my program a little short, found a race two weeks out, rested and just went for it. My right I.T.Band was screaming at about mile 13, didn't get the time I wanted either, but at least I accomplished a personal goal. I could hardly bend my right leg for the second half of the race, but I knew that it may have been the only chance I'd ever have to finish a marathon, so all be damned I was finishing, don't know if this contributed to the hip problems or not.

Since you ALMOST asked, we use trail runners for our shoes (Asics Gel Eagle Trail) because we both have wide forefeet, and they are decent forefoot cushioning. Looking at a Nike trail runner that has air in the forefoot... But we have sworn off boots!

I've retired my boots as well, but am having a hard time for some strange reason finding a shoe that works well for me. I had been wearing Brooks, but all of a sudden their toeboxes are too darn narrow for me. I have tried on the shoe you are wearing, but the store never seems to have the size I need. Maybe I'll order it... anyway the Gel Eagle is a cushioned shoe which is the type of shoe that I run in given my high, inflexible arch and tendency to under-pronate. I don't feel like I have to have a trail runner though, I'll go with a regular running shoe if I can find one that works.

Anyway back to the exercise thing, I've basically got to take it as it comes and do what my recovering adductors can handle. So it's difficult for me to throw out a routine or specific plan. I may end up walking more than running or maybe in time running more than walking. Time will tell.

gravityman
05-20-2004, 11:39
I've retired my boots as well, but am having a hard time for some strange reason finding a shoe that works well for me. I had been wearing Brooks, but all of a sudden their toeboxes are too darn narrow for me. I have tried on the shoe you are wearing, but the store never seems to have the size I need. Maybe I'll order it... anyway the Gel Eagle is a cushioned shoe which is the type of shoe that I run in given my high, inflexible arch and tendency to under-pronate. I don't feel like I have to have a trail runner though, I'll go with a regular running shoe if I can find one that works.

I also thought that I could use a regular running shoe for hiking, but I found out that wasn't such a great idea. First, they are higher and thus you are more prone to roll an ankle (although this wasn't the problem that I had). Second, they might not have enough medial stability. That is, you can twist them too easily. After a 12 hour hike up Long's peak the outside of my foot was KILLING me. I had a similar problem trying to run on snow. The shoe twists too much, and your foot has to componsate to keep your balance. You put extra stress on a ligament (or tendon) that runs from the top of the foot down the outside of the foot, and cause some damage. Anyway something to look out for, and if you have a similar problem, I solved it by going to the stiffer Eagle Trails from the Saucony Omni.

My wife also has high rigid arches, and I just plain like the cushioning in the forefoot. Definitely try out the Asics. Order a 1/2 size larger than your regular running shoes though. They run a little small. But the toe box is fairly roomy. The Nikes look good too, so you might want to check those out.

Shoes seem to be the most difficult thing for us to decide on!

Gravity Man

skeeterfeeder
08-09-2004, 05:25
I have long been into weightlifting, probably longer than many of you have been around. But I also walk a lot. I was walking four miles a day for the past year, but now I have upped that to between 9 and 14 miles a day. I average a little over 3 to 3.5 miles and hour for the entire walk. And that is with several VERY GOOD hills included. As soon as the summer heat drops, I plan on adding my pack and gradually increasing weight. If anyone knows other things I can do to better prepare these old bones for the journey, feel free to give me your advice.

Flash Hand
08-09-2004, 22:30
Hi

I was couch potato before starting my thru hike but stopped at 523 miles cuz of $$. You can exercise but if not execrising at all, you can still finish it.

Flash Hand :jump

Magic City
09-07-2004, 11:05
Training? I don't need no stinking training ...

That's not exactly true, of course; but I think I'll pretty much just take it easy in the beginning, allowing my on-the-hike training to get me close to my destination.

I live less than a half hour from Baxter State Park, in Maine, so I will be testing out some of my equipment, though - particularly the cold weather stuff once winter sets in here.

Chickety
09-08-2004, 21:29
Hey all!

To "train", I hike! Every possible waking moment! I love Winter hiking, so that will keep me busy and "in shape" right up to starting date!
(March 20......first day of Spring) Can't wait!

sleeveless
09-08-2004, 22:21
I plan to start my thru hike in early March 2005. Most of you are still babes compared to me and just by age are in much better condition (not to say anything about shape.) I hike in the whites every week, yesterday it was Wildcat ridge to carter hut and then out the 19 mile brook trail. That is a small section of the AT and a real workout for this plump granny. I will continue to hike every week until March. I know I should also be working out in the gym. I hate gyms! I also should be trying to lose weiight. I love to eat esp. junk food,

About a 15 min driive from my house is Red Hill about 2000'. I will probably go up that about 5 mornings a week before work. I have done that in the past including in heavy snow storms. That's probably it. I am researching light weight gear and have now ordered my ULA P-2 pack and have my nomad tent. I hope to do 5 - 7 days maybe on the long trail this fall. Depends on how busy I am at work. Need the money so that I can take off 6 months in 2005.

Bloodroot
09-13-2004, 15:24
Hello I'm Jason. I am from West Virginia and am currently serving a one year tour in Iraq. I am planning on returning home in mid-March and heading NOBO in mid-April. Physically I have done alot of weightlifting for the past 2 years, but I know endurance is really where it counts most. So when I decided (about 2mo ago) that I was going to thru-hike I started cardio. Presently I weigh around 220 and plan to get rid of some of the hard earned muscle I have gained before coming home. Presently I am running in the mornings (approx. 2-3 miles) and hitting the stair-climber in the evenings for 30 minutes. Like many I used to be a marathon runner (in past life) so I feel I will be able to get what I had back fairly easy. Good luck to all 2005'ers! See ya on the trail!

Magic City
09-15-2004, 16:47
>> Most of you are still babes compared to me <<

You've only got about eight years on me; and if you hike in the Whites every week, you've probably something over me in conditioning.

skeeterfeeder
09-16-2004, 03:30
Since I should already be on the trail by the time you get back Stateside, I would like to say from one Vet to another, "Thank you, Welcome Home."

oldyeller
09-16-2004, 22:45
:-? Met a salesman at the local sporting goods store..TRIP...thru-hiked in about '98. He said there are are two groups on the trail, college-era and mid-aged. According to this forum, at 3 groups are shaping. Some military, too. (Thanks!) Great for diversity.

Thanks to all of you who've already posted comments especially re: conditioning, timing, and preparation. Have emailed a great SOBO ('05) Stan Johnson...he has several comments thruout.

Wrestling with the old question: ME > GA or GA > ME?
Thoughts?

Frosty
09-17-2004, 00:05
:-? Met a salesman at the local sporting goods store..TRIP...thru-hiked in about '98. He said there are are two groups on the trail, college-era and mid-aged. According to this forum, at 3 groups are shaping. Some military, too. (Thanks!) Great for diversity.Don't forget us retirees!

oldyeller
09-17-2004, 08:46
Frosty, Can't you be mid-aged and retired? Surely not "old"! That doesn't start til 88.

Frosty
09-17-2004, 09:55
Frosty, Can't you be mid-aged and retired? Surely not "old"! That doesn't start til 88.Heh heh.

If I'm "middle-aged" now, I must be going to live to 114.

I'm old enough have seen the Earth go through some geologic changes. For instance, I'm aware that the Earth's crust is hardening. I can tell because I used to sleep on the ground and wasn't stiff at all in the morning. Then, as years passed and the ground grew harder, I needed a sleeping pad, then a thicker sleeping pad.

Also, it seems the mountains are still forming. I hike the same trails in the White Mountains and every year they seem steeper. Proof that the mountain ranges are getting higher.

Chickety
09-17-2004, 17:50
Frosty my friend!!

Maybe I'll run into you on this trail instead of just leaving notes in the registers!!

BTW, I was in your hometown yesterday..........Rusty Hammer!!

Frosty
09-17-2004, 18:39
Frosty my friend!!

Maybe I'll run into you on this trail instead of just leaving notes in the registers!!

BTW, I was in your hometown yesterday..........Rusty Hammer!!We might just do that. I'm looking at a couple of scenarios for the hike, one of which is a First Day of Spring start, which you (I think it was you?) posted you might do. I'm looking at taking AMTRAK to Georgia, spending the night in a hostel, and starting the Approach Trail on Saturday (June 19). Camp on Springer, and in the morning be on the summit at 7:34.

I'm also looking at a late February start, too. I was to finish the hike in August, not September.

I haven't been in the Hammer in ages. Used to love thier burgers.

Stan Johnson
09-17-2004, 19:35
Hey "Old Yeller" glad to see you made it... looks like the group is growing.

robo
09-19-2004, 11:07
add me to the list , plans are to take a leave of absence on march 31, and to be at springer april 2nd, i was told to finish the trail or the job won't be there. i think he's joking but it does give me another reason to make it to maine, only 196 days left of driving my friends and family nuts talking about my trip.

Knees
09-29-2004, 00:22
This seems like a good thread to post an intro!

Hi, my name is Cory (hi Cory) and I live in Wisconsin. I've been wanting to hike the AT for years now, and since I finally have a chance, I'm taking it! I'm 27, married, and worked in computers. I burned out back in May, so I've been doing the career shift thing and think that this trip will be a nice way to end the "reinvention of myself."

I'm used to workouts that burn 1000 calories per day, so I'm not too worried on the general fitness side of things, but I'm going to work on long slow distances, as I mainly bicycle or walk 6-8mi and I'd like to be comfortable walking more than that on a daily basis before I start.

I have my flight booked, and am working on gathering equipment, so I can go out this fall and try to avoid the "sending stuff home" that seems to happen so often.

Oh, I'm a vegetarian, so I'm also working on figuring out a reasonable menu and whether I am going to have my wife supply me via mail or whether I will attempt to buy along the way. It's not the vegetarian part that's daunting, but the fact that we try to eat nutritious food, and I don't care to be a pizza, beer, mac and cheese, and snickers vegetarian. :rolleyes:

JimSproul
11-07-2004, 11:22
Well, I am in. When she's mad at me the wife wants me to go, NOW! When she is pleased with me, she is happy I am going. ;)

One of the reasons I picked an early start (2/1) was so I can burn off some of this "fuel storage" before the weather gets warm. I'll leave you a note in the registers!

See ya' up the trail

"Traveler"