PDA

View Full Version : eastern mtn sports rip off

chestnut
02-26-2009, 16:25
WATCH OUT FOR EASTERN MOUNTAIN SPORTS.
THESE GUYS HAVE REALLY GOTTEN BAD!
I purchased a pair of zip off hiking pants to use for this years thru hike.
Now after my warm up hikes the stitching on the pockets and seams are unraveling.
Took them to the store here in Rhode Island and explained about the problem.
Hoping they would switch them out for another pair.
Now this is a quote from the store manager, tyler "It is no longer eastern mountain sports
policy to honor clothing or gear returns".
The best they could do is to send them out to be sewed. at my expense.
What a far cry from being an outfitter you can rely on For the trail.
I guess I have to hope my new polarfleece 200 holds up.
Maybe this is why their other store's are closing ?
I guess that will be my last purchase at their company!
What a far cry from REI's policy of if its not right we will make it right.
There was a time when EMS was a great company.

Just a Hiker
02-26-2009, 16:31
Yes....things have gotten bad for EMS. The EMS here in Augusta, ME just closed last month and the store in Portland apparently isn't doing that well either; and yes, they have back peddled on their previously great customer service. It's too bad!

Just Jim

Jim Adams
02-26-2009, 16:33
I would contact the company's main office and find out if this is the new company policy or Tyler's.
I have never had anything but good dealings and satisfaction with EMS.

geek

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 16:34
EMS is still a good company, and you still have options.

If it were me, I'd have gotten the employee's name, then I'd have contacted the company, preferably with a real letter, not an E-Mail.

I'd have explained what had happened, and I'd have expressed my dismay. I'd also have said that if this was indeed their new return policy, then it needed to be publicly posted, so folks knew about it BEFORE they made a purchase.

I guarantee you if you'd done this (or if you still do this) you'll get another response.

Complaining and slagging a company on the Internet is fine, but at the end of the day, it won't get you much. Personally, I think you just ran into an unhelpful employee.

You can fix this, easily.

As a former top sergeant (now a hiker and webmaster) once told me, "There's two kinds of people. Those who let s*** happen and those who MAKE s*** happen".

So make things happen. Go over someone's head and write the company.

And let us know what happens.

4eyedbuzzard
02-26-2009, 16:39
Their guarantee and return policy as listed on their website hasn't changed--it's still that they will repair or replace the item or issue a refund. I'd call corporate if I were you.

chestnut
02-26-2009, 16:48
Just sent an email to ems customer service.
I will let you know what happens.
this will be my fourth thru hike. I post on trail journals.
So I have been around and yes ems "was a great company"
I guess you just had to be there with this guy tyler.

the goat
02-26-2009, 16:48
always buy from rei if you want the option to return.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 17:05
REI is fine, Goat, but on the Trail (and elsewhere, too) I prefer to shop from independent quality Outfitters.

The stock is great; the employees are, too, and the manager is usually the owner and product buyer. He knows the stock intimately, plus he wants to keep the customer happy. Independent stores can't keep up with the big chains in terms of ammount of product available or sometimes, price. Where they make their mark is quality customer service and that's why I prefer to spend my money with them.

walkin' wally
02-26-2009, 17:22
I'm quite disappointed that EMS closed in Augusta Me. I was hoping to get a fair amount of gear from them for my upcoming hike. I do wish we had some independent dealers in the vicinity but we don't. I always had good luck with EMS. But things are really changing in the area with a lot of businesses.

Just a Hiker
02-26-2009, 17:26
I'm quite disappointed that EMS closed in Augusta Me. I was hoping to get a fair amount of gear from them for my upcoming hike. I do wish we had some independent dealers in the vicinity but we don't. I always had good luck with EMS. But things are really changing in the area with a lot of businesses.

I know......alot of businesses are closing here in Augusta! Circuit City is doing their big "Blow Out" at the moment and will be closed for good in March. But hey....a topless coffee shop just opened in Vassalboro, ME....LOL!!

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 17:30
Interesting concept.

I'll run it by the good folks at the Dirt Cowboy Cafe on Main St., home of the best coffee on the Trail.

But I'm not sure Hanover is ready for this. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
02-26-2009, 17:33
always buy from rei if you want the option to return.
or Campmor

Funkmeister
02-26-2009, 17:37
I have a very long remembery, and long ago the EMS store in North Conway really peeved me. I wanted to return a pair of Choinard (sp?) gaiters I bought from them that didn't fit my leather boots. I sent a letter (this was 1983 or so, can you tell?) informing corporate of the problem, and I heard absolutely nothing. Nothing.

It cost them thousands of dollars in sales over the years. And lots of badmouthing, since I do it every chance I get. Like right now.

I give the EMS store here in RI a few more months--when REI opened their store in the next parking lot, it was probably the last nail in the coffin.

Oh, Yea: For Sale: One pair of heavy gaiters, complete with wire to cinch against your sole, just over crampons. Used in my house once, never outside. Make offer.

sliderule
02-26-2009, 17:40
As a former top sergeant (now a hiker and webmaster) once told me, "There's two kinds of people. Those who let s*** happen and those who MAKE s*** happen".

There is a third type of person. They wonder what happened.

Kirby
02-26-2009, 17:51
Have not returned anything to EMS in Portland recently, so I can't speak about it. I do know that I went in there to to buy shoes and they were extremely rude to me.

Luckily, it won't be the end if EMS in Portland closes, as I still have LL Bean in Freeport.

Portland used to have a North Face, Patagonia, and a Cadillac Mountain Sports, but all three closed issues with the owner of the building they were renting space from.

A lot of potential outfitters stay away from the region because LL Bean has everyone rapped around their little finger, and for good reason.

walkin' wally
02-26-2009, 17:54
I know......alot of businesses are closing here in Augusta! Circuit City is doing their big "Blow Out" at the moment and will be closed for good in March. But hey....a topless coffee shop just opened in Vassalboro, ME....LOL!!

Yeah I went there five times. It took me that long to figure out I didn't like the coffee.:D One of the waitresses got a $100.00 tip from someone though.

Just a Hiker
02-26-2009, 17:55
Have not returned anything to EMS in Portland recently, so I can't speak about it. I do know that I went in there to to buy shoes and they were extremely rude to me.

Luckily, it won't be the end if EMS in Portland closes, as I still have LL Bean in Freeport.

Portland used to have a North Face, Patagonia, and a Cadillac Mountain Sports, but all three closed issues with the owner of the building they were renting space from.

A lot of potential outfitters stay away from the region because LL Bean has everyone rapped around their little finger, and for good reason.

It's hard to beat LL Bean's Customer Service! By the way.... Bean's Annual Bike Sale is coming up fairly soon.....it's a great sale on bikes and accessories.

Just a Hiker
02-26-2009, 17:58
Yeah I went there five times. It took me that long to figure out I didn't like the coffee.:D One of the waitresses got a $100.00 tip from someone though.

LOL!!.......the coffee shop has created quite a stir around here....

YoungMoose
02-26-2009, 18:01
ive worn a ems brand rain jacket. it leaked so i returned for a full return. Mybe that manager is just a jerk. I know you are able to call the companys customer cervice and you can do it over the phone. then all you would havee to do is just drop it off at a ems store

Dogwood
02-26-2009, 18:08
EMS is still a decent outfitter. Chestnut, like JT said you got to work the mojo. I know sometimes the sh2t can get to you, but although it may sound corny, you do catch more bees w/ honey than you do w/ vinegar. Rarely, do I find that getting angry or bitchy is the most effective use of my resources or gets me what I want.

chestnut
02-26-2009, 18:13
I guess my point is this, when you are out on the trail and your gear fails, It is great to know there is some support for your gear. If it is a brand name like gregory or kelty or whoever your local outfitter can help you. but if ems will not support their product where are you going to go? On my past thru hikes, when I had an issue they would send a new piece of gear to your next mail drop, you send your's,back in the same box, if they felt it was not from abuse it was no charge. Now that was great customer service at EMS. That's why I say it was a great company.

2/26/09 5:09 PM
report to moderator

Reply To This Topic
Name: remember me
Email: * Required for first post.
Topic:
Body:

Smilies

chestnut
02-26-2009, 18:19
I guess my point is this, when you are out on the trail and your gear fails, It is great to know there is some support for your gear. If it is a brand name like gregory or kelty or whoever your local outfitter can help you. but if ems will not support their product where are you going to go? On my past thru hikes, when I had an issue they would send a new piece of gear to your next mail drop, you send your's,back in the same box, if they felt it was not from abuse there was no charge. Now that was great customer service at EMS. That's why I say it was a great company.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 18:29
It's STILL a good company.

You evidently did not run into one of their best employees.

That's no reason to condemn or abandon an entire company.

When you have a problem at a retail business, there's a way to get satisfaction, and that's to take your concerns to a higher level.

Other than making someone feel good, talking about it on the Internet doesn't really accomplish much.

weary
02-26-2009, 18:33
or Campmor
LL Bean is pretty good also.

Tennessee Viking
02-26-2009, 18:40
Being in retail, if you did indeed have a receipt & if it was under any time restriction, then you should have been able to return it.

If the you had no receipt or it went invalid, then you are subject to the stores decision to reject it or not.

Just a Hiker
02-26-2009, 18:47
Being in retail, if you did indeed have a receipt & if it was under any time restriction, then you should have been able to return it.

If the you had no receipt or it went invalid, then you are subject to the stores decision to reject it or not.

During EMS's "Store Blowout" in Augusta, ME, there were signs by the checkout area that stated "All sales final....no refunds or exchanges". I am guessing that this was just for the Augusta store blowout, but maybe they are planning on going completely out of business? Hopefully they can survive these tough times.

chestnut
02-26-2009, 18:54
Well maybe I am just venting after a very bad experience.
but I do know my days of doing business with them is over.
Over the years I have spent thousands with them.
Not any more. their loss
And that's what happens when you piss off your customers.
Bottom line

Just a Hiker
02-26-2009, 18:58
Well maybe I am just venting after a very bad experience.
but I do know my days of doing business with them is over.
Over the years I have spent thousands with them.
Not any more. their loss
And that's what happens when you piss off your customers.
Bottom line

It really is a shame about EMS's current problems. The guys at the EMS in Augusta were really cool. They would let people "Demo" new items and they were all hikers or climbers, so they knew what they were talking about. I for one, will miss them around here.

walkin' wally
02-26-2009, 19:06
It really is a shame about EMS's current problems. The guys at the EMS in Augusta were really cool. They would let people "Demo" new items and they were all hikers or climbers, so they knew what they were talking about. I for one, will miss them around here.

Yes, they were nice folks there. All of them. One a former thru-hiker who I talked to a lot.

sasquatch2014
02-26-2009, 20:25
I do go to the local EMS in Danbury Ct and I am split 50/50. I had a pari of boots that had some issues when I called the company, Keen, they said to take it back to the store and get them to swap it out. I did just this and they were fine with it no problems.

Now the other side of the coin. I went once to get a new pack cover after leaving mine at Bears Den. The only ones that they had were like $32. I had to get white gas before this last trip and the only white gas they had was some special crap made by MSR a small can and they wanted almost $14 for it. It's this over the top pricing stuff with out having cheaper alternatives in the store that ticks me off. When I can I do the drive down to Campmor or order it online.

burger
02-26-2009, 20:44
I've had nothing but good experiences with EMS. When my Katadyn Hiker filter broke in Vermont, the EMS in Manchester Center gave me a new one on the warranty, even though I hadn't bought it at EMS and even though they didn't have my model of filter (they upgraded me to the Hiker Pro for free).

I do think, though, the quality of their gear is hit-or-miss. The stitching on the liner gloves I bought from them started unravelling right away. But my EMS PowerStretch hat is my favorite piece of hiking clothing, and I wear it almost every day.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 20:58
I've always had good experiences with the EMS in Manchester Center, and the one near here in West Lebanon also has a great staff, including Dave, a manager, who is actually the guy that outfitted Bill Bryson way back in 1996.

Blissful
02-26-2009, 20:58
I have a long drawn out tale about my son's hiking boots problems and the manager of the EMS in North Conway and how he was treated. But I don't want to spend the time rehashing it. Over the dam now.

Suffice it to say, there are other outfitters and online outfitters I like and trust better. And they get my business. But on the trail, you make do.

leprechaun
02-26-2009, 20:59
okay, haven't seen anyone mention this: we are in a recession. Everyone is cutting costs. I work around a lot of different buisness (repairman) and everyone is tightening their belt. This includes returns, exchanges, new equipment, etc. I'm betting outdoor recreation people are hurting pretty bad since most leisure/recreation activities are suffering too.

Blissful
02-26-2009, 21:00
I've always had good experiences with the EMS in Manchester Center,

Yes we bought a shirt for PB there - that was probably the only EMS store I liked and knew what they were doing - three others in three other states, not so lucky.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2009, 21:04
leprechaun made an excellent point, but the flip side of his comments is that in a tight market, its incumbent on a retail business to do its utmost to keep its customers happy. If it is indeed true that folks are spending less and that there are lots fewer customers, then it seems to me that a store these days would be trying really hard to keep the ones it still has.

I've worked in outdoor retail, and of course, there are some customers you simply can't please no matter what you do, but the bottom line is if a guy storms out in a huff determined to never shop with you again, then you've failed in your mission. Stores need customers more than customers need them.

Don H
02-26-2009, 21:09

I had always heard there were three types of people; those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened!

Kirby
02-26-2009, 22:02
I've always had good experiences with the EMS in Manchester Center, and the one near here in West Lebanon also has a great staff, including Dave, a manager, who is actually the guy that outfitted Bill Bryson way back in 1996.

I had a great experience at the one in West Lebanon. I went in there with my popped Big Agnes air mattress that I bought in Damascus and asked if they would replace it, which they gladly did.

Sly
02-26-2009, 22:26
EMS probably went the way of Walmart and started buying from China. Here's the customer service number 555-U812 :D

STEVEM
02-26-2009, 23:19
My daughter wanted an item from EMS last Christmas. I went to the Paramas NJ store, found the item and wrote a check. The clerk ran my check through the scanner thing and told my that there was some problem with my check and that I could use a credit card if I wanted. I assured him there was no problem with my check so he called the manager who told me that my check was no good, as he placed my item under the counter.

So anyway, I leave my car in the EMS parking lot and walk next door to Campmor and purchased the same item for a few dollars less using a check from the same account, with no problem.

Fearing some type of identity theft I called my bank the next morning to check my account balance. I had over 2K in in my account and the item I wanted to buy was under $50.00.

EMS has plenty of nice stuff and lots of customers so I doubt that they'll miss me.

Blue Jay
02-27-2009, 10:42

Sadly this is true, I even worked there. I used to insult them by calling them The Gap. Now that's insulting to The Gap. The stores along the AT from Mass. north are still thru hiker friendly. I hope they don't get fired but certain individuals will "bend" the monolith corporate rules to help, so when you get to one (and most of you will) be super nice and you just might get some majic.

Blue Jay
02-27-2009, 10:48
I've had nothing but good experiences with EMS. When my Katadyn Hiker filter broke in Vermont, the EMS in Manchester Center gave me a new one on the warranty, even though I hadn't bought it at EMS and even though they didn't have my model of filter (they upgraded me to the Hiker Pro for free).

SHCCCCCCCCCCCCH. You are going to get them in trouble. Just say there are good people in the north, thrus will find out anyway.

DavidNH
02-27-2009, 11:13
Chestnut,

EMS has a policy of guarenteeing everything they sell.. if it isnt right you return for exchange or refund. You should contact the president or the customer Service line at the very least.

Unless something has changed I don't know about, you got screwed by this one store manager.

David

PS I have always found EMS to be a very good store.

Wags
02-27-2009, 12:51
pretty sure the OP is referring to how business is done in america. someone provides a service, people like it and the business grows. sometimes someone is displeased w/ the service provided so they go to another service. they tell others to go to the new business. both businesses then compete for customers :D

Blue Jay
02-27-2009, 13:09
Chestnut,

EMS has a policy of guarenteeing everything they sell.. if it isnt right you return for exchange or refund. You should contact the president or the customer Service line at the very least.

Unless something has changed I don't know about,

EMS USED to have that policy. You should take your own advice and contact customer service because something has changed that you don't know about.

chestnut
02-27-2009, 20:58
So i went to REI today and purchased a new pair of zip offs and told them my story from EMS.
They said I was not the first person to come in from EMS with issues.
Have not had a response from EMS yet, only 24 hours.
So I fly out tomorow for a short holiday with my wife .
Then onto springer on the 6th, another great year in the sun on the AT. "yeah there might be some rain"
I will let you now on the 5th as to EMS's response.
That's the next time I will get internet access.

Peace, Chestnut

A-Train
02-27-2009, 21:09
Chestnut,

Unless something has changed I don't know about, you got screwed by this one store manager.

David

PS I have always found EMS to be a very good store.

This has not been their policy for awhile I don't think. In 2005 I tried to exchange a pair of shoes which fell apart on me prematurely and they said without a reciept, I was SOL!

They were once a quality place but sadly with the amount of stores that have closed and downsized, I don't see them lasting. I visited the down-scaled store on Mercer St today and it was truly sad to see how far they've fallen. This is the 2nd time they've moved this location and the uptown store closed years ago. I still don't undestand why they opened a location next to Campmor, no one is ever in there..

Desert Reprobate
02-27-2009, 21:33
So remember hikers, carry receipts for all your gear.

Tinker
02-28-2009, 00:04
WATCH OUT FOR EASTERN MOUNTAIN SPORTS.
THESE GUYS HAVE REALLY GOTTEN BAD!
I purchased a pair of zip off hiking pants to use for this years thru hike.
Now after my warm up hikes the stitching on the pockets and seams are unraveling.
Took them to the store here in Rhode Island and explained about the problem.
Hoping they would switch them out for another pair.
Now this is a quote from the store manager, tyler "It is no longer eastern mountain sports
policy to honor clothing or gear returns".
The best they could do is to send them out to be sewed. at my expense.
What a far cry from being an outfitter you can rely on For the trail.
I guess I have to hope my new polarfleece 200 holds up.
Maybe this is why their other store's are closing ?
I guess that will be my last purchase at their company!
What a far cry from REI's policy of if its not right we will make it right.

Your problem is that you live in Rhode Island and expect Rhode Islanders to be nice. :D;):o

rickb
02-28-2009, 08:03
So i went to REI today and purchased a new pair of zip offs and told them my story from EMS.
They said I was not the first person to come in from EMS with issues.
Have not had a response from EMS yet, only 24 hours.
So I fly out tomorow for a short holiday with my wife .
Then onto springer on the 6th, another great year in the sun on the AT. "yeah there might be some rain"
I will let you now on the 5th as to EMS's response.
That's the next time I will get internet access.

Peace, Chestnut

My guess is that Chestnut did not have a receipt.

Not sure why we should expect a store to always take back an item that may have been bought on the internet or down the street.

Here is a copy of EMS's return policy pulled up from the web in about 2 seconds:

http://www.ems.com/customer/customer_service_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id= 2534374302869981

jnflas91
02-28-2009, 10:44
i dislike ems as well. Campmor is okay, but im for thr REI's or making my own stuff

neighbor dave
02-28-2009, 10:59
never had a problem with ems. they just opened a huge store in north conway. all retail stores are hurtin at the moment.
*.e.i.= return everything immediatly
i like them too.
if one were to follow the advice (due to their bad experience) about anything, what choices would be left

whatever:rolleyes: