PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Jones Gap State Park

OldStormcrow
02-26-2009, 17:39
Here's a link to a local story about a 350 acre fire in Jones Gap State Park. Sounds like it was started by an abandoned campfire made by dayhikers. The Hospital Rock Trail where this was is one of the steepest 1.5 mile trails you'll ever run into.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009902260331

Nearly Normal
02-26-2009, 17:46
All the more reason for control burns.
Prevents wildfire.

sbennett
02-26-2009, 17:51
The fire is sad news. My parents live less than 15 minutes from the park and I did most of my hiking there when I still lived there.

Apparently the fire department was having all sorts of trouble due to the steepness of the terain.

The Solemates
02-26-2009, 19:00
sad...

no kidding about the steepness. that area is nuts for no switchbacks...but one that is worse than hospital rock...the "bushwhack" trail from jones gap main trail up to rainbow falls near camp greenville is even steeper than hospital rock. its hand over fist for nearly a mile. its gotta be approaching a 60%+ grade. but then again, its not 'officially' a trail either..

OldStormcrow
02-27-2009, 10:04
From what I have heard, the fire got all the way up the ridge to Pretty Place Chapel at Camp Greenville and was all around the base of the cliff at the chapel but didn't quite get to it. That would have been a shame.....half the people in Greenville have gotten married there.

OldStormcrow
02-27-2009, 10:22
http://www.dzinemaster.com/campgreenville/images/pretty_place.jpg

The view from Pretty Place Chapel overlooking Jones Gap State Park and the Middle Saluda River.

sbennett
02-27-2009, 10:31
sad...

no kidding about the steepness. that area is nuts for no switchbacks...but one that is worse than hospital rock...the "bushwhack" trail from jones gap main trail up to rainbow falls near camp greenville is even steeper than hospital rock. its hand over fist for nearly a mile. its gotta be approaching a 60%+ grade. but then again, its not 'officially' a trail either..

No longer a bushwhack. They blazed a new trail sometime last year that will take you to Rainbow Falls, and parts of it are fairly steep as well (but there are some switchbacks).

Nearly Normal
02-27-2009, 12:43
No longer a bushwhack. They blazed a new trail sometime last year that will take you to Rainbow Falls, and parts of it are fairly steep as well (but there are some switchbacks).

Great blue blaze and worth the effort.

ed bell
02-27-2009, 12:50
http://www.dzinemaster.com/campgreenville/images/pretty_place.jpg

The view from Pretty Place Chapel overlooking Jones Gap State Park and the Middle Saluda River.
That's where I got hitched.:sun

The Solemates
02-27-2009, 14:55

thats great to hear..

gghiker
02-27-2009, 20:36
Its so stunning to see this, I was just there on the 9th of this month. This is very sad, I hate to see that happen. I have never started a fire on a day hike, who would bother to take the time? So senseless.

OldStormcrow
03-02-2009, 09:55
The Hospital Rock Trail used to be a well-kept secret, but has just recently become a favorite of the dayhiking-partying crowd. The rock itself is an overhang where confederate deserters used to hide out and there are several similar overhangs in the immediate area......all very tempting for stealth camping, but high traffic.