PDA

View Full Version : REI Flash 65

gohawks
02-26-2009, 19:16
Anyone have any impressions? I have the sickness of wanting to always try new gear w/out having the money to do so.

I have no REI near me to try one out but I am very curious about this pack (Flash 65).

Currently I have a brand new Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, I haven't even taken the tags off. The thing I don't like is its lack of organization and the silnylon fabric.

I don't like the lack of storage and I really don't care for the huge extension collar. It makes getting things in and out difficult IMO.

However it IS very customizable in terms of torso length and straps and belt. I ordered hip belt pockets and have "the lid" for it as well (the lid is a joke IMO). It is very comfy, plush, and seems beefy in terms of the straps and buckles (I like that).

I'm wondering how the REI would compare in terms of comfort. I know I like the pocket configurations it has from the pictures.

Anywho...I'm thinking of selling the GG to give the Flash a try. Maybe I spend too much time thinking and too little time hiking :-?:confused:

optimator
02-27-2009, 13:40
Anyone have any impressions? I have the sickness of wanting to always try new gear w/out having the money to do so.

I have no REI near me to try one out but I am very curious about this pack (Flash 65).

Currently I have a brand new Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, I haven't even taken the tags off. The thing I don't like is its lack of organization and the silnylon fabric.

I don't like the lack of storage and I really don't care for the huge extension collar. It makes getting things in and out difficult IMO.

However it IS very customizable in terms of torso length and straps and belt. I ordered hip belt pockets and have "the lid" for it as well (the lid is a joke IMO). It is very comfy, plush, and seems beefy in terms of the straps and buckles (I like that).

I'm wondering how the REI would compare in terms of comfort. I know I like the pocket configurations it has from the pictures.

Anywho...I'm thinking of selling the GG to give the Flash a try. Maybe I spend too much time thinking and too little time hiking :-?:confused:

I have the UL Flash 45. It's a large, so it's actually a 50. It seems to be a well made pack. I haven't hiked with it yet. I loaded it up and took a walk around the neighborhood. It felt pretty good with 30 lbs in it. It also is one of the few pieces of gear that actually weighed less than stated. 2lbs 8 oz. I bought it to use as a solo trip pack. But so far it's still in the closet with the tags on it, just like yours... But the weather's getting better :banana

skinewmexico
02-27-2009, 16:23
You can never try too many packs. You can spend too much time thinking, and too little time hiking.

FamilyGuy
02-27-2009, 16:36
I think pockets are incredibly overrated. The Ozone is huge for the weight and the frame is going to provide better load transfer than the REI - plus it compresses better for smaller loads (think daypack).

By the way, the body is not made out of silnylon. Instead, it is made out of cordura, which has a very high tear strength. Justin Lichter(sp?) carried the Meridian which is made out of the same material for 10,000 miles. Pack has no holes or tears.

I think you are over rationalizing what you think you need. Remember that features add weight and don't necessarily add to your outdoor experience. Just my 2c.

skinewmexico
02-27-2009, 17:25
The Ozone is huge for the weight and the frame is going to provide better load transfer than the REI

Have you seen the frame on the new REI?

FamilyGuy
02-27-2009, 19:38
Have you seen the frame on the new REI?

No. But the frame and belt suspension will carry 40 pounds in comfort, comfort being the key. The product is proven and has been tested extensively in the field for years. REI updates or changes their products every year. Why is that?

gohawks
02-27-2009, 20:03
By the way, the body is not made out of silnylon. Instead, it is made out of cordura, which has a very high tear strength.

I would submit to you that the pack body is indeed silnylon. More specifically the pack body is 70 D Cordural Silnylon (This is the deep blue or purple part of the pack). There are tougher Cordura reinforcements (210 D).

You are probably right however about my rationalizing.

I did however have a Gregory Z55 and I LOVED the pockets (particulary on the lid and the stuff it pouch). It was perfect for me except it just wouldn't fit perfectly (I was too long for a short torso and too short for a medium torso length)

I have the lid for the NO and hate it. I probably will keep it as a handy place to keep Rx sunglasses and such, but its out of place IMO.

I really like having easy access to a filter, rain gear, jacket, tolietry kit, etc without having to get into the main pack body, so I do like some organization. There isn't room for all of these in "the lid" for the NO.

FamilyGuy
02-28-2009, 00:39
I would submit to you that the pack body is indeed silnylon. More specifically the pack body is 70 D Cordural Silnylon (This is the deep blue or purple part of the pack). There are tougher Cordura reinforcements (210 D).

Actually it is 70d coated with silicon, not silnylon which has silicon impregnated in between the fibres. Coated nylon with silicon is stronger but heavier.

skinewmexico
02-28-2009, 00:53
REI updates or changes their products every year. Why is that?

Uh........continuous improvement? Pic of the new REI frame here, may have to be a member -

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm08_lw_packs.html

FamilyGuy
02-28-2009, 01:10
Uh........continuous improvement? Pic of the new REI frame here, may have to be a member -

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm08_lw_packs.html

Interesting - looks like the GG suspension, as a matter of fact. Go figure. Is there two opposing stays in there as well? Can't tell from the picture. Thanks,

gohawks
02-28-2009, 01:11
Actually it is 70d coated with silicon, not silnylon which has silicon impregnated in between the fibres. Coated nylon with silicon is stronger but heavier.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Regardless I don't like the material particularly. I like the fit.

gohawks
02-28-2009, 01:15
Interesting - looks like the GG suspension, as a matter of fact. Go figure. Is there two opposing stays in there as well? Can't tell from the picture. Thanks,

Yes.

FamilyGuy
02-28-2009, 01:49
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Regardless I don't like the material particularly. I like the fit.

Uh - I am looking at the 2009 catalogue. What are we disagreeing on?

gohawks
02-28-2009, 02:12

Maybe I haven't looked through the catalog as thoroughly. But all I see mentioned is "cordura fabrics" for the nimbus ozone.

I'm not disputing that it is a cordural. I guess we are disagreeing on whether it is coated 70D cordura or silicone impregnated 70 D cordura nylon.

I've certainly seen it referred to as "70 D Cordural silnyon" on the bpl site and review as well as other retailers.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/granite_gear_nimbus_review.html

But...I'm not sure I feel like scouring the GG catalog to find out exactly.

Sure feels like silnylon to me.

Stir Fry
02-28-2009, 02:45
I got one off the truck the day it was delivered to my local REI. Filled it with all my winter gear. Six days food and 2 L water. 33lb. carryed nice. When i got the pack home the stated weight of 3 lb 2 oz was only off by about 1/2 oz. The pocket on the belt is kind of small, dut other then that I like it. Anyone looking for a new pack should give it a look.

gohawks
03-05-2009, 20:27

here is an email I sent to Granite Gear CS and the response I received.

Hi Jay,
Thank you for expressing interest in our Nimbus Ozone pack. We have upgraded the material in this and other Ultralight packs to 100D Hybrid Sil-Nylon CORDURA. Earlier models of this pack (and others) were made with a 70D Hybrid Sil-Nylon CORDURA.
Thanks again,
Cheri
Cheri Henderson
Granite Gear
Dealer Services Manager
Hello,
I had a question about the materials/fabric used on the Nimbus Ozone pack. Specifically what material is used to construct the main pack body?
Thanks.
jay

FamilyGuy
03-06-2009, 01:17
I stand corrected. Thanks for that (hangs head in shame). But they should be clearer in the catalogue (whew, saved a bit of pride....not).

Thanks for contacting them for us.

I am going to pull out the catalogue again because their response would suggest that the pack weight might go up. Curious.

here is an email I sent to Granite Gear CS and the response I received.

Hi Jay,
Thank you for expressing interest in our Nimbus Ozone pack. We have upgraded the material in this and other Ultralight packs to 100D Hybrid Sil-Nylon CORDURA. Earlier models of this pack (and others) were made with a 70D Hybrid Sil-Nylon CORDURA.
Thanks again,
Cheri
Cheri Henderson
Granite Gear
Dealer Services Manager
Hello,
I had a question about the materials/fabric used on the Nimbus Ozone pack. Specifically what material is used to construct the main pack body?
Thanks.
jay

Sleeps_With_Skunks
03-06-2009, 02:15
I was searching for a replacemnt to my UL60 and tried on the UL65 with about 28 pounds loaded into it at the REI in Brentwood, TN.

I have a squirrely back that is very particular about weight being put on my lumbar area. I found the womens flash 65 rode very nice on me, and I like the fact that you can remove the lid and the framesheet to make the pack into a frameless daypack. I was also impressed with the shoulder straps. Usually I have to get the mens pack because the straps are too narrow on my frame....by this pack had really nice padded straps that didn't cut into my shoulders. My only disappointment was the hip belt fit nice, but the straps where to the limit around my waist. Hazard of a 16.5 inch torso, but big hips and waist. small pack means short hip belt.

I was set to buy this for myself, but instead got a ULA catalyst last weekend which was a happier fit on my screwy back and the waist belt was adjusted for my size....small pack, large belt.

rpenczek
03-06-2009, 10:27
If you like your Nimbus Ozone (for comfort), you might want to take a look at the Nimbus Meridian. It has a True Lid for the got to get to now items so it may solve your organization desire.

I really like mine

littlelaurel59
03-07-2009, 10:22

The sickness is called "gearaholism" and those who have it are called "gearaholics." Most of us suffer to one degree or another. I love to walk thru (and am very tempted by) gear shops. I read myself to sleep some nights with REI and Sierra Trading Post catalogues.

In spite of the temptations, I have only owned 3 packs, 3 sleeping bags, and 5 tents over the past 30+ years. How to conquer the temptations?

When I am hiking, I am so happy to be out that I am content with what I have. As long as I am reasonably warm, reasonably dry, and reasonably well fed, it is enough. Only when I am trapped in the city am I tempted by the disease.

There is no cure for "gearaholism." The best way to control it is to go backpacking;)

skinewmexico
03-07-2009, 10:35
The sickness is called "gearaholism" and those who have it are called "gearaholics." Most of us suffer to one degree or another. I love to walk thru (and am very tempted by) gear shops. I read myself to sleep some nights with REI and Sierra Trading Post catalogues.

In spite of the temptations, I have only owned 3 packs, 3 sleeping bags, and 5 tents over the past 30+ years. How to conquer the temptations?

That's it? I've gotten 4 packs, 5 sleeping bags, and 3 tents in the last 6 months. You need to pick up the pace, or you won't be able to get into a good 12 step program. And I may be a gearaholic, but I think that when my WM Megalite bag yesterday , I may have had a geargasm.

Mrs Baggins
04-29-2009, 16:52
Can we get back to discussing the Flash pack? It's on sale at REI on Friday and I would like to get more opinions on it. I have a Gregory Jade 50 right now but I'd buy a new pack to have a little less weight and a little more capacity. I wear a Small pack and don't have problems with the hip belts being too short.

skinewmexico
04-29-2009, 17:23
My UL Cruise 60 was a great pack, I just decided I didn't want a pack that heavy. I imagine the 65 is a refined version of the same pack and would be better. You can always read the test at BPL, they had a lot of good info, and gave it a "Recommended" rating. Too bad they didn't carry the great compression system on the 60 over to the Flash 65.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/rei_flash_50_65_pack_review.html May have to be a member to view.

Summit
04-29-2009, 17:49
The REI Flash 65 will be on sale for $110 starting Friday, May 1st at REI's Anniversary sale. Flyer came in the mail today! :)

Mrs Baggins
04-29-2009, 18:48
The REI Flash 65 will be on sale for $110 starting Friday, May 1st at REI's Anniversary sale. Flyer came in the mail today! :)

I know. That's why I'm asking now! :) Compared to my Gregory Jade 50 the Flash 65 in a small for women holds 700 cu in more and weighs 4 oz less. That's all good.

skinewmexico
04-29-2009, 19:23
I know. That's why I'm asking now! :) Compared to my Gregory Jade 50 the Flash 65 in a small for women holds 700 cu in more and weighs 4 oz less. That's all good.

700 CI more, you'll just carry more you don't need! Don't give in to the temptation. I have 2 words for you - Exos 46.

Summit
04-29-2009, 19:56
I know. That's why I'm asking now! :) Compared to my Gregory Jade 50 the Flash 65 in a small for women holds 700 cu in more and weighs 4 oz less. That's all good.If you have the funds and could use more space (volume doesn't always mean a lot more weight - for instance you could carry bulkier but not heavier foods), with an up front gain in less weight, the only question left is . . . what about the pack's suspension, load bearing comfort, and fit? I can't help you there! :)

bigcranky
04-29-2009, 21:32
My daughter has the Women's Flash 45 from last year. We've been waiting for a women's 65 liter pack, new this year. (In the past the 60/65 liter only came in men's sizes.)

Her Flash 45 is great -- the shoulder straps are narrow and nicely curved, the hip belt is actually small enough for her waist without meeting in the middle. It's the best fitting and best carrying pack she's ever tried.

We expected this year's new Flash 65 Womens pack to be basically the same, just more capacity. However, the suspension is quite different. The shoulder straps are wider, and the plastic frame sheet feels stiff and awkward (not in a good way.) Also, there is no torso length adjustment any more -- just two sizes with fixed suspensions.

Overall, she (and I) liked the older pack better. The extra capacity would have been nice, though.

bwb49
04-30-2009, 11:45
I bought a 65 the first week they were available at REI. Used it for the first last weekend. I have been carrying a Kelty Tioga for years and this was my first time with an internal frame pack. I think I like the way an internal frame carries, I just need to get accustomed to the packing arrangements. I have to think where I have stuff packed, whereas with my old pack I just knew where it was. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I am trying to move to lighter equipment and this is a step along the way. Look forward to more trips with this pack. :o

Summit
04-30-2009, 12:05
I bought a 65 the first week they were available at REI. Used it for the first last weekend. I have been carrying a Kelty Tioga for years and this was my first time with an internal frame pack. I think I like the way an internal frame carries, I just need to get accustomed to the packing arrangements. I have to think where I have stuff packed, whereas with my old pack I just knew where it was. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I am trying to move to lighter equipment and this is a step along the way. Look forward to more trips with this pack. :oDifferent color Sea-To-Summit silnylon stuff sacks are great for organizing AND keeping your stuff dry!

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2009, 12:23
700 CI more, you'll just carry more you don't need! Don't give in to the temptation. I have 2 words for you - Exos 46.

Sorry, wrong. I don't want to carry more stuff or more weight. I just want what I carry now to fit inside without the battle of pushing and shoving and cramming and still having to strap stuff outside. It's that simple. Sometimes I carry a bigger purse, sometimes a smaller one - depends on the outfit. But I always carry exactly the same items, no more and no less.

skinewmexico
04-30-2009, 13:14
Sorry, wrong. I don't want to carry more stuff or more weight. I just want what I carry now to fit inside without the battle of pushing and shoving and cramming and still having to strap stuff outside. It's that simple. Sometimes I carry a bigger purse, sometimes a smaller one - depends on the outfit. But I always carry exactly the same items, no more and no less.

Rarely seen discipline. Wish I had it. Oh, just buy one, and return it if you don't like it. After all, it's REI.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2009, 13:23
Rarely seen discipline. Wish I had it. Oh, just buy one, and return it if you don't like it. After all, it's REI.

Yep! That's how I see it. Can't go wrong.

Alli
04-30-2009, 13:30
Here's the Backpacker Magazine review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sVt7cLrKsI

Looks pretty nice.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2009, 14:08
My daughter has the Women's Flash 45 from last year. We've been waiting for a women's 65 liter pack, new this year. (In the past the 60/65 liter only came in men's sizes.)

Her Flash 45 is great -- the shoulder straps are narrow and nicely curved, the hip belt is actually small enough for her waist without meeting in the middle. It's the best fitting and best carrying pack she's ever tried.

We expected this year's new Flash 65 Womens pack to be basically the same, just more capacity. However, the suspension is quite different. The shoulder straps are wider, and the plastic frame sheet feels stiff and awkward (not in a good way.) Also, there is no torso length adjustment any more -- just two sizes with fixed suspensions.

Overall, she (and I) liked the older pack better. The extra capacity would have been nice, though.

The frame sheet and stays are all removable so if I don't like them, they're gone.

tmont
05-05-2009, 09:39
I was at the Dallas REI recently and was intending to purchase a 65. Got a chance to load it up and found the pack seemed to move around on me quite a bit and I was concerned about getting a hot spot on shoulder blade. Tried the Deuter 65+10 and found it to be much more comfortable for me, seemed to fit the old back perfectly. But as noted, cannot go wrong with an REI purchase with their guarantee.

Summit
05-05-2009, 11:47
Sorry, wrong. I don't want to carry more stuff or more weight. I just want what I carry now to fit inside without the battle of pushing and shoving and cramming and still having to strap stuff outside. It's that simple. Sometimes I carry a bigger purse, sometimes a smaller one - depends on the outfit. But I always carry exactly the same items, no more and no less.Not my wife!!! :eek: She's got the 'bare essentials' ones and then the 'kitchen sink' variety! :D :p

Ghosthiker
05-05-2009, 20:18
I just took my Gregory Z55 back to REI and exchanged it for the Flash 65. While I liked the Z55, I had a fit problem due to the fact that my collar bones are quite pronounced. I like the extra padding on the Flash's shoulder straps.

gohawks
05-13-2009, 20:46
I just got the Flash 65 in the mail. I'm putting it up against the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone.

Padding/cushiness=GGNO
Beefy straps and buckles=GGNO
Adjustability=GGNO

Organization=Flash65
Fabric Durability=Flash65

If these two packs would have offspring together it would be my perfect pack.

I"m a short torso with and suffer from Dunlap disease. Therefore the GGNO is a better fit because of the different configurations.

I like the pockets and organization of the Flash 65 MUCH better than the GGNO.

I loathe that massive extension collar on the GGNO. It makes loading and unloading a chore and criminy, who needs all that space? I hate it.

I think the GGNO is more comfortable to carry for me.

But I hate not having easy access to sunglasses/rain gear/toiletries/water filter with the GGNO.

I"m not sure what I'm going to do. I have both packs brand new. I've tried to sell the GGNO but to no avail and now I"m thinking I may keep it and sell the Flash. Who knows.

FamilyGuy
05-13-2009, 20:51
I just got the Flash 65 in the mail. I'm putting it up against the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone.

Padding/cushiness=GGNO
Beefy straps and buckles=GGNO
Adjustability=GGNO

Organization=Flash65
Fabric Durability=Flash65

If these two packs would have offspring together it would be my perfect pack.

It does exist. The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian. Top pocket that is detachable and which has an additional pocket inside it. Access to the main bag from the front zip. And no long extension collar. Plus for 2009 it is made out of 100d, not 70d and is noticeably more robust.

So....return the REI, order the Nimbus Meridian, and keep the Ozone and try to sell it in the future.:banana

DAJA
05-13-2009, 20:55
It does exist. The Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian. Top pocket that is detachable and which has an additional pocket inside it. Access to the main bag from the front zip. And no long extension collar. Plus for 2009 it is made out of 100d, not 70d and is noticeably more robust.

So....return the REI, order the Nimbus Meridian, and keep the Ozone and try to sell it in the future.:banana

Excellent advise!

gohawks
05-13-2009, 21:28

If they would sell it to me for $109 they'd have my business tomorrow I reckon.

I still like the shove-it pocket in the front of the flash65.

So the nimbus Meridian really doesn't have the extension collar? that would be nice.

Now i'm gonna have to go see what color it comes in. I really don't care for the light blue and purple.

Thanks.

FamilyGuy
05-14-2009, 10:53
$109 is a great price for the Ozone! The Meridian is more feature rich so a higher price. In any event, look what I found you (2008 model):

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=ggr0018&MatrixType=1

gohawks
05-14-2009, 11:06
$109 is a great price for the Ozone! The Meridian is more feature rich so a higher price. In any event, look what I found you (2008 model):

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=ggr0018&MatrixType=1

$109 was for the rei flash 65.

I already found that campsaver link! But that is the 2008 before the fabric upgrade. I'll probably still bite on it though.

Thanks.

mister krabs
05-14-2009, 11:27
I tried on the flash 50 and 65 at REI the other day. Neither of them in large sizes were long enough for my 21" torso and no provisions for size adjustment.

The guy in packs suggested that the only thing he had that was long enough for my torso was a baltoro or an aether 70. I was looking at a 100$ 50L pack, and he tried to get me into a couple of expedition packs that were too big, twice as heavy and cost more than twice as much. I thanked him, but suggested that it wasn't what I was looking for.

CowHead
05-14-2009, 13:18
i have the flash and gives me tons of room it replace my external tank that I was carering last year

C2
05-16-2009, 22:10
I used my REI Flash 65 on a hike from Stecoah Gap to Clingman's Dome earlier this month. It was comfortable and worked well for me. I was able to carry everything I needed with room to spare.

Karrmer
05-17-2009, 03:50
Anyone have any opinions on Osprey Aether 70 vs Nimbus Meridian?

I bought an Aether 70 but was contemplating exchanging it for a Nimbus, I haven't taken the tags off or anything.

Main items would be a Big Agnes SL2 + WM Puma bag, alcohol stove and mainly ultralite items for the rest.

Ghosthiker
06-09-2009, 07:11
Since the stays and back sheet are removable, I am going to try something this weekend with my Flash 65. I took out the stays and brace and I'm replacing them with a cut down piece of CCF. I figure then it becomes usable weight as a sit pad and still will give me some support and padding.

karo
06-09-2009, 10:00
Since the stays and back sheet are removable, I am going to try something this weekend with my Flash 65. I took out the stays and brace and I'm replacing them with a cut down piece of CCF. I figure then it becomes usable weight as a sit pad and still will give me some support and padding.
Let us know how this worked out