PDA

View Full Version : SOBO or NOBO

charlottebronte
05-18-2004, 15:22
I'm debating whether to start hiking NOW (as on July 1) and do a SOBO or wait until spring and do a NOBO. Maybe everyone could help me with the pros and cons.

For a SOBO:
I'm not working right now, so I have the time.
Since it's the warmer time of year, I could start my thru with less gear than if I started from Springer in, say, February.
I'm more intimidated by March blizzards than I am by peaks.
I do better in cool weather than in hot.
Bugless, more or less.

Against a SOBO:
It's notoriously difficult.
I'm not in the best shape of my life.

For a NOBO:
I'd have time to get in better shape.
I'd have time to make a few $$$ before I started.
I'd have time to figure out some of the gnarlier equipment issues, like tent? or hammock?

Against a NOBO:
I'm really not into the spring break crowds.
Wet is one thing; wet and crowded sounds like hell.

Make the assumption that I could probably wing it with the equipment I currently have...I'd just need to make a food scheme.

I'll likely edit some more into the list, but in the meantime, throw in your two cents. Thanks. :-?

Peaks
05-18-2004, 16:47
My suggestion would be to start July 1 and go NOBO from Harper's Ferry. The Mid Atlantic states would get you into shape for New England. Then, after Katahdin, go back and do the southern half.

Starting at Harper's Ferry, you would be with others going your way. And you will get to Katahdin before it closes in the fall.

jersey joe
05-18-2004, 17:02
I don't know if SOBO, NOBO or FLIP FLOP is best for your situation but something to add to the PRO list for a NOBO thru is that you get to hike to the mighty Katahdin. I can't imagine finishing my hike anywhere else!!!

TedB
05-18-2004, 22:36
I'm debating whether to start hiking NOW (as on July 1) and do a SOBO or wait until spring and do a NOBO. Maybe everyone could help me with the pros and cons.

For a SOBO:
I'm not working right now, so I have the time.
Since it's the warmer time of year, I could start my thru with less gear than if I started from Springer in, say, February.
I'm more intimidated by March blizzards than I am by peaks.
I do better in cool weather than in hot.
Bugless, more or less.

Bugless... haha. Less bugs, but not bugless. You will want some insect repellent at the start.

Against a SOBO:
It's notoriously difficult.
I'm not in the best shape of my life.

It is a more difficult start, but that shouldn't be seen as a show stopper, just a good motivator to get into shape. If you don't have a job, just go walking/hiking every day, 6 weeks is plenty of time.

I flip flopped, and the day I climbed Katahdin, a hiker just starting off didn't make it up the mountain, it was too hard. She did make it up 2 days later, and kept on going, eventually catching up with me in NH. So even if you are not in shape, you don't have to let it stop you.

For a NOBO:
I'd have time to get in better shape.
I'd have time to make a few $$$ before I started.
I'd have time to figure out some of the gnarlier equipment issues, like tent? or hammock?

Against a NOBO:
I'm really not into the spring break crowds.
Wet is one thing; wet and crowded sounds like hell.

Make the assumption that I could probably wing it with the equipment I currently have...I'd just need to make a food scheme.

I'll likely edit some more into the list, but in the meantime, throw in your two cents. Thanks. :-?

Don't worry about having perfect equipment. You can make improvments as you go.

SOBO or NOBO, have an awesome hike.

Grimace
05-19-2004, 09:05
I say go SOBO.

Georgia isn't a cake walk and the 100 mile wilderness in ME is relatively easy walking. The more challenging terrain starts up around the Bigelows.

True you won't get snow, but expect cold temps. We had several nights below freezing up North in July.

Bugless? You ever been to Maine? Skeeters, black flies, deer flies, dog ticks are plentiful in the wilderness. there was a heat wave when I hiked through the Wilderness in mid June. 95 degree days wearing full rain gear, socks on my hands and bandanna tied around my face because of the swarming mosquitos. Be prepared for bugs no matter which way you go.

Katahdin wasn't a huge challenge. It's only 5 miles up and my 55 year old mother who was not in stellar shape had no problems going up and down in a day.

Don't worry about the gear. You'll figure it out along the way and you'll learn to be comfortable with what you have. I carried a 7 lb tent the whole way and lived to tell the tale.

If you are able to go now, I would. Life has a funny habit of getting in the way of a 5-6 month hiatus.

Colter
05-19-2004, 11:13
I agree with Grimace, if you DO want to make this hike, do it while you have the chance, life is so unpredictable you may not have another.

I can assure you that regardless of which way you go, you will run into plenty of insects, wet weather, cold weather, hot weather, people and tough terrain...AND you will probably have the greatest adventure of your life if you have the right mental attitude and avoid injuries.

Rambler
05-19-2004, 12:00
Just from reading your own pros and cons list, I think you are ready to start SOBO, July 1. Soon after Katahdin, you will get into the flow and a good routine. As someone said, no matter which way you go, SOBO or NOBO, it's all up hill. You'll be passing a steady flow of NOBOs at that time of year with plenty of stories for you. Go for it. Put some daily walking into your schedule between now and July and you'll be ready. Summer and fall are great seasons to hike through New England.

Tater
05-19-2004, 12:01
The toughest mountains are at either end of the trail, so don't think starting in GA will be easier than ME. Go with what you want to do.

GolfHiker
05-27-2004, 19:02
All the responses are on point. You sound ready to go in July. I am not a thru hiker, but I did do Katahdan & the 100 Mile Wilderness last year, starting on 6/1/03, while my son continued on to do his thru hike to Georgia, completing in mid Nov. Bugs are a real issue. I chose not to go with bug dope, but did wear long sleeve, gloves, and long pants, with a head net for good measure. The only thing I have not read from the earlier responses is the sometime isolation of going South, which is a good thing, if that's what you want. Hopefully you will find some fellow hikers starting in July, but you may also be trailing the field, and do a good bit of mileage on your own... David "Smooth" made the choice to go South & loved it.. He had a partner ( Waldo) for most of the way, but certainly did many hundreds of miles on his own. Just another component in making your decision...

3oz
05-28-2004, 14:26
Well I am definately biased but I loved my Sobo hike. As for the dificulty it's not as bad as everyone says, and if you spend this extra time training it will be even easier. Another thing to consider is that GA-NC/TN is no walk in the park(sorry about the pun). If you go SOBO just don't expect to do 20 mile days from the start, but the same goes for a NOBO hike. With all that said, why wait when you could be hiking?