PDA

View Full Version : NY hike in two weeks

greepigfoot
02-27-2009, 00:10
HI everybody first time poster logn time reader,

My spring break is coming up and I was planning to go for a NY hike from March 6th to the 13th starting at Pawling and going as far south as I can get. What should I expect weather and condition wise? (snow, mud etc.) I did a Conn to DWG hike several years ago so I have a clue about the area. :-?

Tin Man
02-27-2009, 00:39
you're living in nj now? look out the window.

sounds like you did the section already. why not start in ct and head north?

Kerosene
02-27-2009, 07:18
Having grown up in central Jersey, by the shore, the weather and temperatures can be quite a bit different than southern New York.

I day-hiked from the CT/NY border to Fahnestock Park in late March a number of years ago. There was substantially deeper snow atop the ridgelines, when there was no snow cover in the valleys. I ended up post-holing through a number of sections, with snow over my knees near Depot Town Road.

According to this site (http://www.weatherstreet.com/local_forecast_files/new-york-snow-cover.htm), it looks as if the snow depth on this section of the AT should be minimal, although just to the north over 10" of snow has fallen this past week. So, while you may get some snow falling on you and have to deal with some icy rocks, you shouldn't have much difficulty making headway. Going north into Massachusetts, it looks as if you'd quickly hit some pretty deep snow that would require snowshoes at a minimum. Heading south from DWG might be another option.

Tin Man
02-27-2009, 08:15
I was in Fahnestock last weekend. No snow. Ct is pretty clear now too, just patches. Not certain above Kent, but may check it out next weekend.

sasquatch2014
02-27-2009, 08:35
We lost a lot of the snow pack here with the warm temps yesterday but anything on the north facing slopes or in deep shade is still pretty slick. The 10 day calls for on and off again snow showers so you will need to keep that in mind.

Last week when I walked my section the boardwalks at the train station were still above water but if we get a bit of rain that could quickly change. There is a note posted showing what the alternative route is. It really does not add much more in terms of miles but it is all road walking.

Mud. with the freeze and thaw cycles we have been having there will be plenty of mud. I was up at the Telephone Pioneer Shelter and the front of the shelter is pretty muddy when it's warm and very uneven frozen mud when it's cold. Unless there has been a lot of use up at this shelter lately you should have plenty of firewood. I hauled a bunch down and stored it under the shelter. By the way you do know that the RPH shelter may bot be open at this time of year right.

Blue Jay
02-27-2009, 13:27
Last year I went thru NY the last week of March into April. Very little mud and twice it snowed heavy at night. The first time I did not expect it as the day was so nice. It brought my tent down and since I did not hear anything I woke up wet and freezing. I had to throw everything in my bag and circle blazes until I found the next one until dawn. Very exciting, racing hypothermia. From them on I rigged my tent with enough lines that it could take snow, you should do so also. It was a great trip. If you're lucky you'll meet Trek (he'll be pissed when he reads this).

greepigfoot
02-27-2009, 14:24
yeah the guidebook says it will open in aprilish

Chenango
02-27-2009, 15:27
Having grown up in central Jersey, by the shore, the weather and temperatures can be quite a bit different than southern New York.

I day-hiked from the CT/NY border to Fahnestock Park in late March a number of years ago. There was substantially deeper snow atop the ridgelines, when there was no snow cover in the valleys. I ended up post-holing through a number of sections, with snow over my knees near Depot Town Road.

According to this site (http://www.weatherstreet.com/local_forecast_files/new-york-snow-cover.htm), it looks as if the snow depth on this section of the AT should be minimal, although just to the north over 10" of snow has fallen this past week. So, while you may get some snow falling on you and have to deal with some icy rocks, you shouldn't have much difficulty making headway. Going north into Massachusetts, it looks as if you'd quickly hit some pretty deep snow that would require snowshoes at a minimum. Heading south from DWG might be another option.

Great web-site for snow pack map. Thanks.