PDA

View Full Version : primaloft quilt question

greentick
02-27-2009, 01:39
So I've made a sewn-threw primaloft quilt for myself, intended for temps 40* and above. Works great.

My current project is for my wife, who can't stand mummy bags. I am sewing a piece of primaloft to momentum for each side ie (top to bottom), top momentum with primaloft sewn to it, then primaloft sewn to bottom momentum. When I put them together I will only sew the perimeter and the sew-threws for the top section and bottom section will be offset to avoid coldspots. Goal is at least 30* for her.

My question is (finally): Do I need to do anything to connect the top and bottom sections other than sew the perimeter? The primaloft _seems_ "fuzzy" enough that the two sections will stick together, especially after it's balled up a few times. Anyone with experience with this? Thanks.

ishmael86
03-06-2009, 12:40
Well--I've not done this specifically with primaloft, but I do make regular quilts for home use. I think maybe it would be best to just tack the whole thing together with a few quilting loops just to be sure--just sew straight through the whole thing and tie a knot on one side. Then use it for a while, and if you decide you don't need your quilting loops, they are easy to take out and make the quilt lighter.

If, on the other hand, you don't sew all the layers together and some part of it happens to come loose, say, in the washing machine, it might get balled up in there, and then the quilt's sewn together and you can't get in to fix it.

Most likely I don't think that would happen, but insulation can tear or degrade over time. I wouldn't count on the primaloft to attach to itself.

take-a-knee
03-06-2009, 13:16
Unless you already have the primaloft I'd go with Climashield (higher durabililty and R Value, Kifaru uses this stuff) and just use the Ray Jardine method of sewing the perimeter and installing quilting loops of yarn. Jardine says this will stabilze the batts for about as long as they will maintain decent loft, IE, the life of the quilt. Sewing the batts down will make for a thin, relatively heavy quilt, my new Patagonia Puffball vest is made that way and that sucker is THIN, and heavy for what it is.

greentick
03-07-2009, 09:30
...I think maybe it would be best to just tack the whole thing together with a few quilting loops just to be sure....

Yeah, I was considering the quilting loops...

Unless you already have the primaloft ....

Already have the primaloft.

LONG term durability is not too much of an issue. More for short trips for my wife to use.

The primaloft is sewn to each side of nylon and the sew thrus will be off-set when I finally put the thing together...

Probably should post some pics.

Thanks for the thoughts.

greentick
03-10-2009, 03:38
Mostly done. If measured like a sleeping bag, it has 4.5-5.5" of loft (I stuffed extra insulation scraps in the lower sections). Currently weighs in at 1lb 15oz. I have got to sew together the foot box and put in a few quilting loops. Should still come in under 2#. Most importantly, my honey is happy with it:D.