PDA

View Full Version : hammock

solo29
02-27-2009, 09:13
well ive done it i order a explorer ultralite today i wanted the explorer deluxe but they are out right now and it would be 3 weeks before they have any so tom said he would sell me the ultralite for the price of the deluxe not bad i think must be a good hammock they issue these to the navy seals he told me i guess im a tree hugger now :banana

sclittlefield
02-27-2009, 09:29
Welcome to hanging. Hennessy makes good hammocks. I love mine.

Bit of advice - bring a foam pad on your first hang. Even in warmer weather, when it cools at night and the wind is blowing, your back will get cold. The sleeping bag compresses under you and gives you no insulation. My first night was miserable - the pad gives me a wonderful night's sleep.

If it's seriously warm, you may not need anything like that though.

solo29
02-27-2009, 09:32
thanks for the info

1azarus
02-27-2009, 18:48
funny, the maine guy giving the florida guy advice on staying warm. just move to florida.

Ekul
02-27-2009, 19:27
funny, the maine guy giving the florida guy advice on staying warm. just move to florida.

lol

anything below 70 and i have been a bit chilly after a few hours in my HH backpacker, torso pad helps loads. i shortened a zrest and it still like to fold up but it works for now

boarstone
02-27-2009, 19:35
Under quilt works great too, stuffs well instead of having to roll it to transport it...

Ekul
02-27-2009, 19:48
well ive done it i order a explorer ultralite today i wanted the explorer deluxe but they are out right now and it would be 3 weeks before they have any so tom said he would sell me the ultralite for the price of the deluxe not bad i think must be a good hammock they issue these to the navy seals he told me i guess im a tree hugger now :banana

btw welcome to hanging. NOW, go check out hammockforums.net. Better q&a there.

peter_pan
02-28-2009, 10:54
Welcome to the hanging gang.

Prevailing experiance is that you will need bottom insulation below 75*....And remember in the mountains, 20* below what you "expect to experiance" happens, plenty.... Be prepared.

Pan

2Questions
03-01-2009, 08:42
Like I was told when I left the ground...welcome to the "Dark side"! Ooohhhhh! There is a learning curve to this hanging thing, but the experience is rewarding. Hook up with a local outing or "hang" and look around, see other's setups. I think you'll find your camping "system" is progressive in nature taking you to a place where you finally feel ready for various weather conditions, able to set up and pack up quickly, and best of all, reaching a point of sleeping comfort unmatched by anything on the ground.

OutdoorsMan
03-01-2009, 13:58
I am thinking of becoming a HH. I have a Big Agnes insulated air core mattress and a BA bag. Will this work? Down to what (approximate) temperature?

RAW
03-01-2009, 14:10
If you want some more options besides the Hennessy, there are several other manufacturers of hammocks out there.

I couldn't really appreciate the bottom slit-entry on the Hennessy, so I had to get a top-loader.

I've got a Clark NX-200 that I love. But the newest sensation is the Blackbird by Warbonnet Outdoors. It's been getting rave reviews and gaining quite the following over at HammockForums.

BR360
03-01-2009, 14:32
I really prefer hanging, and until I get an under quilt, it will be my late-spring thru early fall rig.

sclittlefield
03-01-2009, 14:35
I'm not terribly familiar with BA pads, but for real cold weather, you may have to add a ccf pad. While the air pad is thick, it may not be very insulative. The great thing about BA bag/pad combos is that the bag acts like a top quilt, which is just right for hammocking (of course, any sleeping bag can be used as a top quilt).

I've got the HH Expedition and love the bottom entry. Different strokes for different folks. It's a great hammock and really comfortable. (Were I to purchase a second hammock though, I think I might be willing to have a tall glass of the Warbonnet Blackbird cool-aid).

2Questions
03-01-2009, 17:02
I couldn't really appreciate the bottom slit-entry on the Hennessy, so I had to get a top-loader.

There is another option versus buying a new hammock. Install a zipper! There have been many a happy hangers hanging on to their Hennessy's as a result.