PDA

View Full Version : 12 Steps

q-tip
02-27-2009, 10:43
How are you 12 Steppers working your program on the trail? Do you get to meetings? How do you meet others? Even after 23 years got to be safe...

Frick Frack
02-27-2009, 11:54
I remember seeing this thread....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42497

Hope that helps.

Lilred
02-27-2009, 18:39
My 12 step program on the AT is as follows... Take 12 steps, rest, breathe. Take 12 steps, rest, breathe, and repeat as needed....

Erin
02-27-2009, 20:58
Given what I have seen in rural areas around here, if you check towns ahead, you can probably find a meeting on some of your stops. If not, you can find someone to talk to-if you check with any church or law enforcement agency or a local business, they can hook you up with a someone who is recovering, or a sponsor for someone else who will visit with you. Don't be afraid to talk to law enforcement in rural areas. They usually know the local centers and have people they can contact and some of them are in the program also. I have never been in a program, but work in the legal system and it appears those in recovery will go out of their way to asssit you and encourage your own recovery. Just ask. Have a great hike!

theinfamousj
02-27-2009, 22:15
There are also e-meetings that meet in a chatroom off of the AA website. These e-meetings are useful when it is too far to travel to a face-to-face one. No tasty coffee, though, unless you brew your own. If you want more info, PM me and I'll put you in contact with someone who has lots of e-meeting first hand experience.

karoberts
02-27-2009, 22:34
I saw a lot of drugs and alcohol on the trail. As a recovering addict, you have to make a choice to stay away from that even when it means being antisocial. I made that choice and sometimes I was lonely because of it. If you are not sure that you can stay away from people and places that put you in a precarious position, then think carefully about getting on the trail. If you are confident you can stay clean then do it and have fun.

randyg45
02-27-2009, 22:57
I saw a lot of drugs and alcohol on the trail. As a recovering addict, you have to make a choice to stay away from that even when it means being antisocial. I made that choice and sometimes I was lonely because of it. If you are not sure that you can stay away from people and places that put you in a precarious position, then think carefully about getting on the trail. If you are confident you can stay clean then do it and have fun.
As a fairly obvious addition to your thoughts, it's my opinion that any hiker in recovery should bring a tent and plan on being independent of shelters.

Just a Hiker
02-27-2009, 23:19
Lord knows it's sometimes not easy staying sober on the trail if one is in recovery. The alcoholic mind isn't selective; therefore, I've relapsed on and off the trail, and here's the thing.......if I am going to use....I am going to use.......and it doesn't matter if I am hiking on the AT or if I am home! I have recently finished rehab once again and I am starting another hike next week.....and I am nervous; however, I am not going to hide from people. I spent several years hiking on the AT and I wasn't very social because I was trying to stay sober, and in alot of ways, that was lonlier than drinking. I plan to be more social on the trail this year, but not hike with the party crowd and keep my trips to town focused on resupply, eating and hanging out with lots of cool hikers.

Take care,

Just Jim

Take care

Tinker
02-28-2009, 00:12
If you are an alcoholic, PLEASE don't try to hide the fact. I have been more than happy to have a coffee or hot chocolate when in the company of one who cannot use alcohol. My father was an alcoholic. Thankfully, I seem to have dodged the bullet.
Not all folks will understand, but you may be able to jar them into awareness that you just can't fit into their world, and, if they care enough about you, they might just put their world on the back burner to accomodate a fellow hiker. :)

prain4u
02-28-2009, 00:26
I have not thru-hiked (yet). However, I have been "clean" and in recovery for over 25 years. I am a pastor and military chaplain. I am also a certified alcohol and other drug counselor. Here are some tips that I would share for 12 Steppers:

Look for 12 step groups that meet in towns that are near the trail. Make contact with people from those groups PRIOR to your hike--and carry the contact information with you. Call these people again as you near those towns and request a ride to the meeting. I am pretty certain that SOMEONE would be more than happy to meet you and give you a ride.

Here are some starter websites to help you find meetings. If you need information for other types of 12 Step groups (or more information about the groups listed below) please send me a PM (Private Message) and I will try to help.

For Alcoholics Anonymous:
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/meeting_finder.cfm?origpage=29

http://www.step12.com/meetings.html

For Narcotics Anonymous:
http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

For Gambler's Anonymous:
http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/mtgdirTOP.html

If you are an alcoholic--and there is no AA meeting in the area where you are hiking --my guess is that folks at MOST NA or GA meetings would welcome you with open arms--especially if you explained your situation. However, you might want to check with the group in advance just to make certain. SOME groups are not as willing as others to open their meetings to folks with another types of addiction.

I would carry 12 step literature with me on my hike--possibly daily devotional type of 12 step literature. I would not only carry it--I would also READ IT!

I would carry a cell phone--and a sponsor's contact number. The phone could also be used to help you phone for rides to meetings.

You could use public computers at libraries and other public places near the trail to contact online 12 step meetings and forums. You could also carry a Blackberry, iPhone or similar web-capable device to access online meetings. Some of the many sites include:

http://www.12stepforums.net/aagroup.html

http://www.recoveryrealm.com/

Keep your eyes and ears open on the trail for other possible 12 Steppers. Even in the midst of the Hurricane Katrina disaster response I bumped into other 12 Step folks and we held our own informal "generic" 12 step meetings in the middle of a totally destroyed New Orleans. Some "meetings" were as simple as just two of us recovering folks talking to each other about our addiction and our recovery (like Doctor Bob and Bill W. did in the earliest days of the program). We had other informal "meetings" that had more structure--such as reading the 12 steps/12 traditions, Serenity Prayer, reading from a "Big Book", etc. Having informal "partial" meetings is better than attending no meetings at all (and sometimes such informal meetings are even better than formal meetings!!!!)

Anyone with recovery issues please feel free to PM me to brainstorm other possible ideas and solutions. (and if I have questions, I will try to find you and contact you!)

chiefduffy
02-28-2009, 04:52
I have to say when I was on the trail everyone was respectful of my choice not to imbibe. And I was respectful of their choice to party if they wanted to. I mostly avoided the party trips to town, and usually just went to my hammock when the bottle/smoke was being passed around the fire. Result: got up earlier, felt better, made more miles/day than many. The serenity of the woods were (and are) a great source of strength for my recovery.

q-tip
02-28-2009, 06:06
Thanks so much for the support. It's amazing what happens when you just put it out there...

Pak-Man
02-28-2009, 09:31
q-tip,

Have not thru hiked yet, but it has already been on the wife and I's list of worries. Things we have discussed is using the websites, especially NA to find meetings close to the towns we pass. Also, we have discussed having family come to meet us at certain points and take us to meetings. We will keep a list of numbers (not like I dont know them by heart by now) just in case we cant get somewhere and need to talk. I def. would recomend if you need something to talk to the local law enforcement. Most in small towns are more then welcome to help you with this. Finnaly at least with NA there are a series of very small books in paper back that we plan on taking. I also want to thank you for bringing this up. I went back and forth for a while and did not know exactly what the reaction of people would be on here.. Thank you and thanks to everyone for posting...

DBD

Rockhound
02-28-2009, 09:59
I'm not a 12 stepper or very religious but there are churches in every town you pass through. I think even if some don't have AA or NA meetings, these would still be good places if you need council, support or just somebody to talk to.

randyg45
02-28-2009, 11:02
If (http://If) you are an alcoholic--and there is no AA meeting in the area where you are hiking --my guess is that folks at MOST NA or GA meetings would welcome you with open arms--especially if you explained your situation.

Rarely have I seen that fail :sun Vice versa usually works too. In fact, my AA home group used to be "crashed" by a couple women in Weight Watchers. Didn't seem to hurt anyone....

TOW
02-28-2009, 11:15
How are you 12 Steppers working your program on the trail? Do you get to meetings? How do you meet others? Even after 23 years got to be safe...
If you come thru here I have a list of contacts that will pick you up and take you to a meeting........

randyg45
02-28-2009, 11:23
I've relapsed on and off the trail, and here's the thing.......if I am going to use....I am going to use.......and it doesn't matter if I am hiking on the AT or if I am home! I have recently finished rehab once again and I am starting another hike next week.....and I am nervous; however, I am not going to hide from people.

I was "in and out" for 6 years before I got my first medallion... when I finally "got it right" one of the things I had to do (YMMV) was just plain avoid booze. We used to have people in my group who said they "didn't run from it". Well, I did. And walked from it, drove from it, stayed away from it, and hung up the phone to it. I still prefer not to be around much of it, but now it's less self defense and more just distate.

But the self-defense aspect is still there. If I hang around a barber shop long enough I'm probably going to get a haircut, and if I hang around bars and parties long enough and often enough I'm probably going to have a drink; I'd rather pick up my 19th this August.

jnflas91
02-28-2009, 11:43
Im new to this sight and I would have had no idea about AA on the trail and the many other recovering hiking. What an awesome way to support. I thru hiking CO than JMT don't know what i will be doing about meetings and all yet. I keep a 24 hour coin with me, it helps because the keeping in the moment and to my values is where its at. If you can take a look at the link i have posted PEACE TO ALL Jason http://pages.teamintraining.org/li/moosetri09/jflaster

Sailor (The other one)
02-28-2009, 11:45
I've been in recovery 26 years and have also been an addictions counselor, which for me means I have to be real careful about remaining humble.

The sponsor who took me through the steps taught me that you cannot waste time planning. There's a wealth of good ideas here and in the above referenced post, and I'd bet there's more on other forums. You can get meetings lists and phone numbers from AA's general service office in New York and carry with you a plan with alternatives, even if its just a phone talk withg another recovering person.

I have been very fortunate. All of my hiking buddies in recovery have also been in recovery, and my wife, who is my hiking buddy now, is also in the program. Helps me stay humble and keeps before me what I stand to lose if I relapse. (I don't smoke cigars any more for that same reason). And, all you need for a meeting is two drunks and one resentment.

We carry a tent and a tarp. I remove myself from people who are using. So we are always able to get away from relapse triggers like that and still have the company of someone who understands.

And I'd bet a lot - though I haven't thru'ed yet - that you can meet lots of others on the trail who are in recovery.

Another thing that helps a lot, for me, is praying in the morning and night exactly how they taught me to pray when I joined AA.

Good luck.

LT MAC
02-28-2009, 13:11
wow, recovory on the trail.

I have found that bringing something to light gets you support and a way out. Q-tip you brought this to light and opened up so much, thanks!!

stranger
02-28-2009, 21:24
I think the trail is very challenging for someone who is dealing with any dependency issues, but this is assuming that you will be mixing with typical hikers, who are mostly young and have maturity levels to match their age. In 2008 I hiked with someone who was recovering, and it was really difficult for him, he decided to leave the trail early because the risk was too great for him, it's a shame, but booze and weed are everywhere hikers are in my experience.

I enjoy a drink, or 5 and I still avoid the typical trail social experiences, I don't sleep in shelters, I never stay in hostels, and I prefer to camp away from the crowd at shelters or in between shelters. By doing that, my hike is mainly free from outside influence and I like hiking that way. I do think it's possible to hike the AT and avoid the typical, somewhat immature, hiking crowd who is constantly obsessed with drinking and weed, but to do that you will need to avoid shelters and hostels.

As for towns, meetings, others would probably know more than me about that, I know a group meets in Hiawassee GA, cause my mate went to a meeting there.

I find no one more impressive than recovering addicts, I am humbled by your strength.

mark schofield
03-04-2009, 17:14
I did a search for "AA recovery program CD mp3" and came up with a few sites that have files or CDs for sale. You can download part of the Big Book ($10) and put it on an mp# player. The Grapevine is also down loadable for $4 for two months.

notorius tic
03-04-2009, 17:30
I went to a Meeting in Gatllinburgh I cant recall the Churches name but it was just out off town. 2 dogs told me about the place. I also relapsed on the trail. And got sober again an relapsed again but since I have been Home have remained sober for 7 mounths. Good topic to bring up. Ironic as I am typing this a commercial for alchoal an drugs just came on TV. It all works in mysterious ways. An it works if you work GL on your Hike. An ENJOY their is Peace an Scerinty all around you on the trail.<:

Dogwood
03-04-2009, 17:56
If somone is helped by a 12 step program GREAT, but for those who may be having problems working a 12 step program for whatever reasons and you truely want help let me offer a sane alternative that doesn't require labeling yourself with an incurable lifelong disease or lifetime meetings research RATIONAL RECOVERY.

randyg45
03-04-2009, 18:38
If somone is helped by a 12 step program GREAT, but for those who may be having problems working a 12 step program for whatever reasons and you truely want help let me offer a sane alternative that doesn't require labeling yourself with an incurable lifelong disease or lifetime meetings research RATIONAL RECOVERY.
There's a reason AA has been around as long as it has, and has spead worldwide.
There's a reason these other "programs" haven't.

No Hurry
01-18-2011, 17:43
Thank you all for the information. I'm worried about this myself; I hiked from Harriman, Ny to Harper's Ferry SoBo on '06 and was still using. Now, I will, gods willing, have 16 months sober when I start my thru-hike in March.
I've been talking to other alcoholics about this... well, admitting my fears, and I plan to bring AA literature with me. I've got an iPhone app called "The AA Companion" which contains the Big Book (second edition, I believe), and plan to look up meetings in trail towns.
I know that the hostel in Vernon, NJ is at a church that has meetings... there was actually one the night I stayed there.
I'm also bringing a tent, and plan to avoid shelters and maybe even hostels as much as possible.
The phone, though, will be one of my most valuable pieces of gear.

10-K
01-18-2011, 17:48
Thank you all for the information. I'm worried about this myself; I hiked from Harriman, Ny to Harper's Ferry SoBo on '06 and was still using. Now, I will, gods willing, have 16 months sober when I start my thru-hike in March.
I've been talking to other alcoholics about this... well, admitting my fears, and I plan to bring AA literature with me. I've got an iPhone app called "The AA Companion" which contains the Big Book (second edition, I believe), and plan to look up meetings in trail towns.
I know that the hostel in Vernon, NJ is at a church that has meetings... there was actually one the night I stayed there.
I'm also bringing a tent, and plan to avoid shelters and maybe even hostels as much as possible.
The phone, though, will be one of my most valuable pieces of gear.

Make a note to get my number and when you get to Erwin I'll pick you up and we'll go to a meeting together.

Iceaxe
01-18-2011, 18:14
The long trails have actually had the effect of decreasing my alcohol use in the past two years.. even between hikes.
On the trail when i would come into a town to resupply there was always this anticipation.. like: "I am gonna get a huge cheeseburger and drink a six pack!" The reality I found was i could barely drink two beers. This past year on the CDT I actually gave beer away on the way out of town.
I am not sure what the mechanism is a work but even now, months after my last LD hike, I have very little appetite for alcohol. I like beer and drink it for taste rather than effect.
For one thing, when my body is in trail shape the beer has almost no effect or buzz anyway. It's like I become this carbohydrate digesting machine. I met a few other hikers say the same thing.
The only problem is it still dehydrates my body and has other effects.
Particularly to avoid the after-effect. One of the after effects i notice when I drink more than a couple of beers is cramping in my legs similar to shin splints.
You know how great you feel when you finally get your trail legs, and you wake up some morning on the trail, the weather is perfect and you just feel on top of the world. It is the opposite of how I feel when i drank alcohol to excess the night before.
I always keep that in the back of my mind.. just how alive I can really feel without the chemistry of alcohol in my system.
The trail taught me that about myself.
Anyhow i still like beer now, but I drink it as food. For taste, not effect, and usually with a meal.
So i guess my 12-step program came about by accident, by walking 12 million steps.
I must sound like a "polly anna". I don't mean to be sanctimonius here.. just want to offer my experinces with alcohol and the trail.
Anyone else find they lose their appetite for Alcohol while hiking?

Driver8
01-18-2011, 18:22
I saw a lot of drugs and alcohol on the trail. As a recovering addict, you have to make a choice to stay away from that even when it means being antisocial. I made that choice and sometimes I was lonely because of it.

I'm a teetotaler, not for "12 step" reasons but b/c I'm diabetic. I'm assertive and positive about it and have found almost everyone takes it in a positive light as a result. Have been free of alcohol for 25 months tomorrow, and have had literally only two people push back towards drinking in that time.

All I'm getting at is that if you are able come at your abstinence, of whatever sort, in a positive, happy way (which can be hard at times, I know), most people will meet you on that issue in a positive way. Those who don't or can't are probably best dealt with minimally anyhow - good screening point. And those who come to you positively on this ground can probably make very fine friends.

10-K
01-18-2011, 18:27
People don't really care if you drink or not.

Or, to say it another way, if you don't drink and it bothers the people around you it's time to find a new spot to hang.

No Hurry
01-18-2011, 18:37
I'm a teetotaler, not for "12 step" reasons but b/c I'm diabetic. I'm assertive and positive about it and have found almost everyone takes it in a positive light as a result. Have been free of alcohol for 25 months tomorrow, and have had literally only two people push back towards drinking in that time.

All I'm getting at is that if you are able come at your abstinence, of whatever sort, in a positive, happy way (which can be hard at times, I know), most people will meet you on that issue in a positive way. Those who don't or can't are probably best dealt with minimally anyhow - good screening point. And those who come to you positively on this ground can probably make very fine friends.

I'm also diabetic... but that certainly never stopped me!

DapperD
01-18-2011, 19:09
People don't really care if you drink or not.

Or, to say it another way, if you don't drink and it bothers the people around you it's time to find a new spot to hang.If you are a recovering addict who truly wants to break the grasp of addiction, then in order for you to be successful you need to change all people, places, and things that cause you to be associated or to associate with your former addictions. Unfortunately, even friends and/or family who continue to use are a threat to the addicts sobriety, recovery, and ultimate success. As hard as it is, an addict who truly wants to be successful in becoming sober will not, under any circumstances, be unwilling to do what it takes to remain free from addiction. Take your own tent, have your own money, and steer clear of people who are using. If you do not, then you will use. One drinks too many and a thousand is not enough. Like the people who have been successful at staying clean, such as AA sponsers with years and years of sobriety, they know that the time will arrive that no matter what they do, there will be nothing to stop them from taking that first drink, hit, pill, needle, whatever. They plan for that time so they will know what to do when it arrives. This is what you must do.

ec.hiker
01-18-2011, 23:33
I thought this was really neat to read I am detoxing after being on a me***one program for a year and a half. I went from 140 mg's a day down to now I think around 60 or 70 I go down one mg a day and every once in a while I ask them to not take it down for a day to let me adjust. When I get down to zero I am gone off to the trail. One of my biggest issues with the withdraw is restless legs I am hoping that walking10 15 20 miles a day will help. I don't promote me***ne as I know it is super contraversial but it did help me and I am looking forward to a new lease on life. I am not sure if I was allowed to post this so I blotted out the word. If you don't know what the word is it's probably best you don't know. If anyone is wondering how it got to where it did it all started when I had cancer 6 months on a drip and a button to press in my hand for pain. It was down hill from there.But after alot of uphills and I am sure there are a couple more to come I am a happier person! Moderators delete this if its not supposed to be here sorry

Boomer1ny
02-27-2011, 20:03
If anyone would like a list of the meetings that are in trail towns or close to road crossings ...drop me a line. Done the list from GA to HF ...about 200 meetings along the way, so it shouldn't be a problem to get to at least one a week. Luray and Front Royal have the most...if your're wondering.

10-K
02-27-2011, 20:21
Anybody hiking through Erwin needing or wanting to go to a meeting send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Boomer1ny
02-27-2011, 20:21
I've got a few 24's under my belt now and feel I can tackle a longer hike. I've learned this so far. I found my higher power on a section hike in 2007. Hiking is the long green church for me. It always will be. I don't care what other people do...that doesn't mean I don't care, it just means it won't affect my attitude if I don't let it. You don't have to be anti-social to avoid the temptations out there. You just have to be on good spiritual ground. I stayed at the campground in Duncannon in '07....BIG mistake!
All night long there were cars, trucks and trailers hauling boats through the camp. Not to mention countless drunk fishermen whooping it up! Damn near impossible to get to sleep. The only other hiker stayed in her tent and texted all night. I was worried that the Doyle, being a bar, would be a BAD place. Ironic how that turned out huh? The next day I ran into a feral hiker who was fresh out of jail and new into recovery. We stopped and had a nice lunch and chat. I left him with one of my 2 Grapevines. I was never feeling better about life in general as I did the next few days.
I'm looking forward to meeting a few of you out there this year...I should be on top of Springer on the 7th...the 50th anniversary of my successful escape from the womb.

valiweva
03-05-2011, 06:39
I am going to georgia 3/22-3/23 by train,then staying at the hiker hostel and starting my hike 3/24. I am a friend of Bill W. I am taking a ride to the Springer parking lot.Thanks for this thread!

cricket71
03-05-2011, 07:24
Carry ur cell,and a lil big book, as I was once told, Their feelings and feelings always change. go to bed grateful and wake up willing and always do the next right thing.:-?

pattyohyeah
05-14-2011, 15:42

hey karoberts! Sober from orange county over here too. Just started planning my thru hike for next year or so. It's nice to see someone sober and from orange county on here. :banana

pattyohyeah
05-14-2011, 15:51
God willing I will have 4 years next month. I'm planning a thruhike for next year and was so happy/relieved/grateful to find this post. Thank you q-tip for posting this.

protargol
05-14-2011, 17:21
Is it common to run into those recovering on the trail? I'm a responsible drinker, but I don't want to make others uncomfortable if I chose to drink on my hike. My gf is going with me and doesn't drink, but is there anything I can do to be supportive?

AndyB
06-10-2011, 04:31
not drinking and staying sober aren't the same thing.
I'd love to have the time to do another thru hike as a sober person, it will never happen though and that's a shame. I don't remember the AT being a roving Frat party but I was ahead of the pack.
Seek out like minded hikers there may be more than you think. I think being up front with the group of hikers your with will be a big help and a means of support.

Andy
8 years sober

mweinstone
06-10-2011, 05:05
not drinking and staying sober aren't the same thing.
I'd love to have the time to do another thru hike as a sober person, it will never happen though and that's a shame. I don't remember the AT being a roving Frat party but I was ahead of the pack.
Seek out like minded hikers there may be more than you think. I think being up front with the group of hikers your with will be a big help and a means of support.

Andy
8 years sober

a dry drunk?is that what u mean?

AndyB
06-10-2011, 05:12
a dry drunk?is that what u mean?

yeah..someone who isn't going to say " Hey lets hitch into town and buy 6 Fosters for tonight oh and maybe something to eat too."

Andy, used to be that guy

ScottP
06-14-2011, 18:43
I find hiking to be a great motivator not to drink--I'd much rather feel great while hiking and get good rest than 'party' on the trail. I also do my best to avoid the presence of what I like to call 'Snowboard-frat boys' on the trail.

restedlaurels
09-19-2011, 14:10
Hi.

My girlfriend & I are planning a thru-hike in Mar. 2012. A list of meetings would be most helpful.

Thank You,
RL

10-K
09-19-2011, 14:12
Yeah, 8 months have went by since my last post in this thread but the offer's still good. Anybody gets to Erwin and want to go to a meeting drop me a line or PM me for my phone #.

lemon b
09-20-2011, 11:59
It's not easy. We do find each other, just seems like an HP thing.

sweeten1
11-21-2011, 15:34
I'm planning a thru hike this coming March and would love to chat about recovery along the trail, I'm coming up on two years clean and sober. I've got a great sponsor and I sponsor guys as well. I'm closely connected to the fellowship at the beaches in Jacksonville, Fla. The Men's Redeye is my homegroup I also do lot's of meetings at Penman and speak at treatment centers. I'm very connected to my church community also. My higher power and helping others is what keeps me sober. And LOTS of meetings.

Juice
11-23-2011, 01:32
Hi everybody,I'm planning a nobo for late march and it would be great to run into anyone in recovery while on the trail. I've been sober for a few years and I was wondering how sparse the meetings would be. I sent out a few PM's to folks who mentioned they'd be on the trail this year but I'd be happy to hear from anyone. Thanks,-Juice

stranger
11-23-2011, 01:50
I'm sober about 14 months now and a friend of Bill W, intestingly enough there is an earlier post on here by me before I was ready to admit some things...haha. Oh how we all must learn in our own ways. I'm happy to talk with anyone about this subject as well, please PM me or email me.

Sailor (The other one)
11-23-2011, 11:39
Just for the joy of it, I'd like to share that this week I celebrate 30 years of sobriety thanks to the 12 steps.
Right after I got sober I went on a two-week backpacking/canoeing trip with another reecovering person - my first trip in over 10 years. Drinking had ended my hiking. Since I stopped drinking, I've been back to hiking.
I like hiking better.

q-tip
11-23-2011, 12:49
Since I put up this post, I have completed 1,000 mi. I found only a few meetings on the trail, Erwin was great. Now in my 27th year, planning a thru on the Colorado Trail next July. Congratulations to all!!!!

10-K
11-23-2011, 13:09
I say this periodically but anybody hiking through Erwin who needs a ride to a meeting or just wants to talk to someone else in recovery over a cup of coffee - hit me up.

I can get you to NA, AA and I believe there's even an OA meeting.

brotheral
11-23-2011, 15:41
Another "Friend of Bill W." here.... Hiking / Backpacking / Camping is "Good Medicine". In something I read by Thoreau he said, "WE (not just recovering alcoholics and addicts) need a place to get back to where we can find what's primal and good within us. A place of Natural Inspiration." The woods and mountains and streams is that place for me. In our 11th step it says we sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God.
Hiking and spending time out in Nature is meditation... Life is good today. Thanks to AA and the folks that offered me a helping hand when I was ready. Take it easy friends...

High Jacker
11-27-2011, 18:27
Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring... been sober a few years and happy to meet anyone at the start of their journey (I'm in Atlanta) and head to a meeting. I'd even be up to hike a few days of the GA section with you if so inclined.

fireneck
11-30-2011, 01:26
Been around booze/drugs all my life. Never participated in it... I plan on starting late Feb/early March. Though I can't help much in the way of 12 steps, I can be sober person to hang around with.

stranger
11-30-2011, 02:42
I say this periodically but anybody hiking through Erwin who needs a ride to a meeting or just wants to talk to someone else in recovery over a cup of coffee - hit me up.

I can get you to NA, AA and I believe there's even an OA meeting.

I had a major binge in Erwin in 2008, 4 zeros, almost ended my hike, spent like $500...amazing to know someone is always just down the road. If I come through again, let's do that coffee!

timmy_toes
12-01-2011, 08:22
Planning my thru hike very early April, late Marchish. Looking forward to meeting other people in recovery! My friend and I both are in NA in the Philly area. This trip has brought some crazy obsession in my life with the planning of gear and food I must admit. Please PM me if you are planning on hiking next year and wanna meet up on the trail that be great! Also my experience is that most people are very respectful of peoples choices on the trails just make sure you bring earplugs!

RedMolly
08-23-2012, 06:15
Bumping this thread, and thank you to the original poster.

I'm in the early stages of planning a thru attempt for 2014 and I'm in recovery. I wondered if anybody has recent advice or experiences to relate. I've been around for a while, so I'm preparing to do the safe things: take phone numbers, avoid parties, and so on. But I'm going to miss my attendance at regular meetings.

Has anybody done a sober thru recently? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather discuss it in private.

Thanks for all the great wisdom I read on these boards.

lemon b
08-23-2012, 08:08
In Ma. Great Barrington has a nooner m-s @ 1st Cong. Dalton Mondays @ 8 Grace Espis.

lemon b
12-09-2012, 10:45
bump........

Karma13
12-09-2012, 11:01
Thanks for the bump, lemon b! This has been on my mind.

Starting March 7 (March 6 at the Hiker Hostel).

One day at a time!

hikerhobs
12-09-2012, 12:50
I going on 5 years being sober. you just have to remember how life was when you were drinking, And how life is now without drinking. ( best decision i ever made) There's plenty of stuff out there to help you get thru tough times, take with you on trail. The lil big book, daily reflections, the grapevine. contact phone numbers, I carry a one day at a time medalion on my shoulder strap, just remember it's easier to stay sober then to get sober. good luck every one on your journey thru recovery.

brotheral
12-09-2012, 13:28
What we really have is a DAILY reprieve based on the Maintenance of our spiritual condition. Pg 84-88 in our text. No matter where I'm at I practice the 11th step EVERY DAY !! No Excuses !! :sun

prain4u
12-09-2012, 20:31
I have not thru-hiked (yet). However, I have been "clean" and in recovery for over 25 years. I am a pastor and military chaplain. I am also a certified alcohol and other drug counselor. Here are some tips that I would share for 12 Steppers:

Look for 12 step groups that meet in towns that are near the trail. Make contact with people from those groups PRIOR to your hike--and carry the contact information with you. Call these people again as you near those towns and request a ride to the meeting. I am pretty certain that SOMEONE would be more than happy to meet you and give you a ride.

Here are some starter websites to help you find meetings. If you need information for other types of 12 Step groups (or more information about the groups listed below) please send me a PM (Private Message) and I will try to help.

For Alcoholics Anonymous:
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/meeting_finder.cfm?origpage=29

http://www.step12.com/meetings.html

For Narcotics Anonymous:
http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

For Gambler's Anonymous:
http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/mtgdirTOP.html

If you are an alcoholic--and there is no AA meeting in the area where you are hiking --my guess is that folks at MOST NA or GA meetings would welcome you with open arms--especially if you explained your situation. However, you might want to check with the group in advance just to make certain. SOME groups are not as willing as others to open their meetings to folks with another types of addiction.

I would carry 12 step literature with me on my hike--possibly daily devotional type of 12 step literature. I would not only carry it--I would also READ IT!

I would carry a cell phone--and a sponsor's contact number. The phone could also be used to help you phone for rides to meetings.

You could use public computers at libraries and other public places near the trail to contact online 12 step meetings and forums. You could also carry a Blackberry, iPhone or similar web-capable device to access online meetings. Some of the many sites include:

http://www.12stepforums.net/aagroup.html

http://www.recoveryrealm.com/

Keep your eyes and ears open on the trail for other possible 12 Steppers. Even in the midst of the Hurricane Katrina disaster response I bumped into other 12 Step folks and we held our own informal "generic" 12 step meetings in the middle of a totally destroyed New Orleans. Some "meetings" were as simple as just two of us recovering folks talking to each other about our addiction and our recovery (like Doctor Bob and Bill W. did in the earliest days of the program). We had other informal "meetings" that had more structure--such as reading the 12 steps/12 traditions, Serenity Prayer, reading from a "Big Book", etc. Having informal "partial" meetings is better than attending no meetings at all (and sometimes such informal meetings are even better than formal meetings!!!!)

Anyone with recovery issues please feel free to PM me to brainstorm other possible ideas and solutions. (and if I have questions, I will try to find you and contact you!)

I am repeating this (long) post that I made almost 4 years ago (original post is on page # 1 of this thread, post # 10). It is the best information and advice I have. I checked the links--and they all still work.

chiefduffy
12-10-2012, 07:39
Glad to see this thread back! In the past couple of years I have run in to many hikers on the trial in recovery. It's very healing, at least for me. One step at a time!!

Karma13
12-10-2012, 07:46
Good to see that others have run into this situation.

Part of my plan is that when the new AT Guide comes out in January, I'm going to go through and mark down the larger resupply towns, then look at their meeting lists online, and get them bookmarked into my phone. I'm also going to put my cell number in the trail registers, and ask for Friends of BW to look for me.

In my ideal world, there would be one or two folks in recovery in my bubble, so we could have occasional meetings. But that's one day at a time--and completely out of my control.

xokie
12-10-2012, 09:54
I have a small circle and triangle drawn on the back of my pack in Sharpie. Since I am one of the slowest walkers out there a lot of people get to see the back of my pack and am often asked the "friend of Bill" question which often leads to a few passing words of confirmation.

Karma13
12-10-2012, 10:05
Hey, that's kind of a great idea! Thanks! :D

lemon b
02-10-2013, 17:09
Looks like I ,'ll be back throughing again at 58.

Karma13
02-11-2013, 07:17
Looks like I ,'ll be back throughing again at 58.

That's great, lemon b! When are you thinking about starting? NOBO or SOBO?

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 11:15
I have a couple "Charley Painter" cd's that I'd like to up-load to my Ipod, pretty darn funny stuff. They were given to me when I couldn't get out to a meeting..some buddys brought the meeting to me ;) if anyone would like to listen to these, I'll mail em to ya, and then you pass em on to someone when you've had a good laugh.

Thanks for the Bump!

stranger
02-16-2013, 18:50
I think the Serenity Prayer is a great tool for rainstorms, bad tentsites, full motels, blisters, etc...Just my two cents, we should set up an online resource for adventurers in AA, anyone have any ideas?

rocketsocks
02-16-2013, 19:38
I think the Serenity Prayer is a great tool for rainstorms, bad tentsites, full motels, blisters, etc...Just my two cents, we should set up an online resource for adventurers in AA, anyone have any ideas?Definitely good for snow down the back of your neck, or flat tires at the trail head after a three day trek, sometimes ya just gotta laugh...and then get to changing the tire..."Dude..where's my jack" hehe..Serenity Now!

Karma13
02-17-2013, 06:55
Easy does it! :)

lemon b
02-17-2013, 10:30
Day at a time.
Who's Charlie Painter?
Went to a good meeting last night a few miles from Cookie Ladies.

Karma13
02-17-2013, 13:11
Is that Charlie from "Joe and Charlie"? I love listening to them!

Edited to add: Nope. Different Charlie P. But I still love Joe and Charlie!

q-tip
02-17-2013, 15:25
I started this thread back in '09. Now in my 28th year, I found that I did not hit many meetings on my 3 1/2 month journey from Springer to Harpers Ferry, but I had hours each day to pray and meditate. That surely carried the day. Best to All....

rocketsocks
02-17-2013, 15:44
Day at a time.
Who's Charlie Painter?
Went to a good meeting last night a few miles from Cookie Ladies.He's a public speaker....One thing he said was "If you wake up on a park bench in the afternoon, and the roof of your mouth is sunburned....you might be an alcoholic"

Is that Charlie from "Joe and Charlie"? I love listening to them!

Edited to add: Nope. Different Charlie P. But I still love Joe and Charlie!I don't know if it is? I have heard of them ...but haven't heard them, the tapes show up from time to time at meetings around me....just haven't caught em yet.

I started this thread back in '09. Now in my 28th year, I found that I did not hit many meetings on my 3 1/2 month journey from Springer to Harpers Ferry, but I had hours each day to pray and meditate. That surely carried the day. Best to All....And to you q-tip...great thread.

ekeverette
02-17-2013, 22:03
i relapsed this year on the trai..... got to the point, i was trying to get to town to drink, even if i was starving..... now trying to get sober again.... i've tasted sober life and it's great... just have to get to my meetings!!!!

rocketsocks
02-17-2013, 22:24
i relapsed this year on the trai..... got to the point, i was trying to get to town to drink, even if i was starving..... now trying to get sober again.... i've tasted sober life and it's great... just have to get to my meetings!!!!Hey, the door is always open...and you know, it's a easier softer way. It's good to tell on ourselves, what ever it takes..Welcome back!

ekeverette
02-18-2013, 06:53
thank you!!

Karma13
02-18-2013, 08:09
Hi, ekeverette, welcome back!

I sent you a pm.

Stofko
03-04-2013, 11:16
A small circle and triangle beside your entry in theshelter log books leaves a trial for others to find.

lemon b
03-09-2013, 09:33
Day at a time ekeverette. Its not a contest.

Stofko
03-13-2013, 15:42
This will get you to meeting info from Springer to Harpers Ferry.

Blairsville GA.
http://bobobilltaz.tripod.com/meetings.html (http://bobobilltaz.tripod.com/meetings.html)
Franklin and Robbinsville GA.
http://www.aawnc80.org/meetings.htm (http://www.aawnc80.org/meetings.htm)
Gatlinburg TN and Newport TN.
http://www.etiaa.org/#KnoxvilleListings (http://www.etiaa.org/#KnoxvilleListings)
Hot Springs NC.
http://www.ashevilleaa.org/District.php?s_City=50&s_Group=&s_meetingLocation=&s_Day (http://www.ashevilleaa.org/District.php?s_City=50&s_Group=&s_meetingLocation=&s_Day)=
Greensville, Johnson City, Bristol TN. All west of the AT
http://www.aatricitiestn.org/meetingdirectorynetn.html (http://www.aatricitiestn.org/meetingdirectorynetn.html)
Spruce Pine, Linville, Boone NC. All East of the AT
http://www.booneaa.org/ (http://www.booneaa.org/)
All towns in Virginia. Search by day and city.
http://www.aavirginia.org/hp/meetings/di.asp (http://www.aavirginia.org/hp/meetings/di.asp)
Harpers Ferry WVA.
http://aawv.org/site/district_11_&_15.htm (http://aawv.org/site/district_11_&_15.htm)

rocketsocks
03-13-2013, 16:07
A small circle and triangle beside your entry in theshelter log books leaves a trial for others to find.
Great idea

This will get you to meeting info from Springer to Harpers Ferry.

Blairsville GA.
http://bobobilltaz.tripod.com/meetings.html (http://bobobilltaz.tripod.com/meetings.html)
Franklin and Robbinsville GA.
http://www.aawnc80.org/meetings.htm (http://www.aawnc80.org/meetings.htm)
Gatlinburg TN and Newport TN.
http://www.etiaa.org/#KnoxvilleListings (http://www.etiaa.org/#KnoxvilleListings)
Hot Springs NC.
http://www.ashevilleaa.org/District.php?s_City=50&s_Group=&s_meetingLocation=&s_Day (http://www.ashevilleaa.org/District.php?s_City=50&s_Group=&s_meetingLocation=&s_Day)=
Greensville, Johnson City, Bristol TN. All west of the AT
http://www.aatricitiestn.org/meetingdirectorynetn.html (http://www.aatricitiestn.org/meetingdirectorynetn.html)
Spruce Pine, Linville, Boone NC. All East of the AT
http://www.booneaa.org/ (http://www.booneaa.org/)
All towns in Virginia. Search by day and city.
http://www.aavirginia.org/hp/meetings/di.asp (http://www.aavirginia.org/hp/meetings/di.asp)
Harpers Ferry WVA.
http://aawv.org/site/district_11_&_15.htm (http://aawv.org/site/district_11_&_15.htm)

Thanks for putting that together Stofko, very cool!

lemon b
02-24-2014, 00:15
bump meetings list

rocketsocks
02-24-2014, 00:19
bump meetings list
serenity now ;)

thanks Lemon b, I needed that.

kayak karl
02-24-2014, 00:25
got an app (http://about.onehealth.com/meetingfinder/) for that. works off gps.

AngelEyez
02-24-2014, 01:57
congrats on 23 years and being so brave to yourself out there like this <hugs> recovery no matter the years is never easy, best of luck :)

tarantolk
02-24-2014, 11:08
Kayak Karl, thanks for the app info.

rocketsocks
02-24-2014, 11:10
got an app (http://about.onehealth.com/meetingfinder/) for that. works off gps.I gotta get me some GPS one of dees days.
:)

lemon b
03-17-2014, 20:01
Bump, one more time for 2014. In Becket,Ma we meet Sat night. Just need to know the traihead between Rte 20 and Blotz Road for a ride etc.

Zippy Morocco
03-17-2014, 20:43
I was able to get to some meetings during my town stops last year. There is one in Front Royal that is very convenient. It is at noon and right down town.

PROMISES GROUP
Stepping Stones Club
9 Church St.
Front Royal, 22630

There was a nice one in Lincoln, NH too that I liked a lot. It is near Chet's place. They love to hear some hiking stories there. I ended up giving the lead at that one. Meeting are a great way to meet locals.

LAF
03-19-2014, 11:35
Anytime I come across a friend of bill's it is an opportunity to have a meeting ;). Look for me out there, trail name comes in 2 versions: LAF or LostAndFound.

Other
03-20-2014, 03:36
I have been in recovery now for many years. I have hiked my entire life. I have thru hiked the AT 3 times during recovery, and many other long trails. Speaking only for me, there is no place on earth where I can more increase my conscious contact with my higher power than the trail. Each morning I say my third step prayer asking to be useful that day, to do his will and not my own. At night I do the same review I do at home. The trail is a wonderful place to be a sober man. The Big Book says that if we are spiritually fit, there is no place we cannot go. On the trail my heart is full of wonder and my spirit soars, and I truly believe that every step I take, I walk hand in hand with the spirit of the universe.

hilltackler
03-20-2014, 10:58
Great thread! I've been in recovery for a few 24's and what helps me in the woods is listening to meetings that I've downloaded from Itunes. There are tons of them available and it's almost like being at a meeting. Some of the podcasts are specific to step meetings and others are recordings of open meetings. You hear the story of others and identify which helps you remember you're an alcoholic/addict.

I don't backpack with partying people per say but my friends do enjoy a night cap around the fire and that's cool and okay for them and most days it doesn't even bother me but on the occassion when I head back to my tent and the disease talks to me...I put in my ear buds and listen to a meeting which reminds me what happens when I pick up the first drink! You need to be reminded...download the podcasts! Have an awesome hike!

Hillbilly Mac
04-14-2014, 21:08
1st post since I got approved: A buddy of mine (USAF Disabled Veteran) blew out his knees before reaching NC this year, which is actually good...he's recovering & I'm in training for a 2015 thru-hike bid. I recently relapsed after 237 days, my 1st time sober in 18 years. I'm not active in AA, or any other program, but the universe seems to put the right people in my life at the right times & hopefully we'll meet on the trail when we need it most! I love the idea of the AA symbol on the pack & in the logs, so that'll be something for y'all to look for. I'll be dedicating my hike to the 32 friends that were killed during my 10 years in the Army, & a Navy SEAL who was a family friend killed in the Extortion 17 shoot-down in The Stan. That makes it Mount Katahdin or Death for me. So if you see 2 dysfunctional, PTSD-having, Disabled Veterans on the trail...I'll have a trail-side meeting with you! I won't be too hard to miss...

Outside of the tattoo & you'll be able to find me from the rattle of the myriad of VA-issued pills I have to take with me, & most likely quite a bit of swearing (after 10 years in the Army, I don't even realize I'm swearing, so I apologize in advance if you have virgin ears). Here's to hoping nobody gives me the trail-name of Douchebag, or That Dead Guy Who Was So Hardcore He Didn't Leave The Trail When Severely Injured...

bigcranky
04-16-2014, 12:50
One of which would be an awesome trail name :) I'll be out on my yearly section next summer and hope I run into you on the trail. Good luck and Godspeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hillbilly Mac
04-18-2014, 16:28
One of which would be an awesome trail name :) I'll be out on my yearly section next summer and hope I run into you on the trail. Good luck and Godspeed.

Thank you!

lemon b
06-22-2014, 16:51
Bump again. Because its important Monday night in Dalton is not far from Depot St. Young at Heart Group. Rte 20 in Lee to Dalton. Just PM me and do my best to get any thru's or sections to meeting.

rocketsocks
06-22-2014, 19:34
Very nice lemon b :sun

ericmcdaniel
06-22-2014, 22:43
I was surprised there wasn't any kind of all-recovery meeting at Trail Days. I'd definitely be up for helping to organize one on return trips there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOW
06-24-2014, 05:51
I was surprised there wasn't any kind of all-recovery meeting at Trail Days. I'd definitely be up for helping to organize one on return trips there.

Lets do that for next year I'll help

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

ericmcdaniel
06-24-2014, 08:24
Absolutely. PM me or just email me offline: ericmcdaniel at gmail. :)

lemon b
08-16-2014, 07:34
Pot luck at 6:00. 11th Annv meeting in Becket, Ma. August 30th. I can shuttle over from Pittsfield Road or Rte 20. Welome to crash at the house after meeting. Friends of Bills.

Patrickjd9
08-17-2014, 17:17
I've talked to enough people on the trail who are in recovery that offering alcohol to somebody likely to relapse has concerned me for a good while. Met a guy this spring in Georgia who gave me the gut feeling that I shouldn't take out my pint bottle around him.

Patrickjd9
08-17-2014, 17:21
I was surprised there wasn't any kind of all-recovery meeting at Trail Days.

I've been to a number of conventions that had a recovery meeting or contact on the agenda, so it's a common thing.

ericmcdaniel
08-17-2014, 23:08
That's why I found it surprising, Patrickjd9 :)

ericmcdaniel
08-17-2014, 23:12
And it's not at all your job to guard someone else's recovery. I wouldn't worry about that, Patrick. People in recovery aren't white-knuckling it just one kindly offer of a drink away from a relapse. If someone is that shaky in recovery, it's on them not to put themselves in those sorts of avoidable situations.

hilltackler
08-18-2014, 11:58
And it's not at all your job to guard someone else's recovery. I wouldn't worry about that, Patrick. People in recovery aren't white-knuckling it just one kindly offer of a drink away from a relapse. If someone is that shaky in recovery, it's on them not to put themselves in those sorts of avoidable situations.

well said and very true ericmcdaniel!

lemon b
05-20-2015, 06:51
Bump. Becket, Ma. Saturday Night Grapevine 7:00.

ExNihilo
05-20-2015, 07:36
Lets do that for next year I'll help

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know if this happened? Never been to Trail Days but I do like seeing the message of recovery.