PDA

View Full Version : Food Questions

motest
02-27-2009, 14:12
Hi,
I'm trying to do a very inexpensive thru hike and I am looking for suggestions in terms of food. I have read a few of the articles about resupplying but none of them really give much suggestions on food. What did people take that was cheap and filling?

The Weasel
02-27-2009, 14:27
Yellow (NOT hominy) grits, also known as "polenta".

TW

Blissful
02-27-2009, 14:37
You go cheap on food (like just eating 20 cent Ramen packs) it will be tough for your muscles to do what you ask them to. You will still need protein as well as carbs and fats. Save money by not going crazy in towns when you get there (and will be a big temptation when you are starving).

johnnybgood
02-27-2009, 20:18
First and foremost it really just depends on what ready made food you'll eat .
I have only hiked long distance of merely six days at a time and have pondered this same question myself .
What I do know is eating umm....lets us say Ramin noodles every day as part of your daily caloric intake would not only become boring but as already mentioned also not the carb & fat loaded food your muscles need .
I would buy a stove and cook pot and buy pre-packaged meals in bulk thus saving money instead of buying too much food at grocery stores in towns or eating at the local eatery .
Hope this helps .

Jan LiteShoe
02-27-2009, 20:27
Hi,
I'm trying to do a very inexpensive thru hike and I am looking for suggestions in terms of food. I have read a few of the articles about resupplying but none of them really give much suggestions on food. What did people take that was cheap and filling?

I ate what I pretty much craved on my thruhike.
I suppose oatmeal is as healthy and inexpensive as possinble, though I would caution you not to skimp on protein and fats or you'll be mighty slim and fatigued by New England. I've heard if one doesn't get enough protein, they begin to breakdown their own muscles - and you'll need your muscles on the AT.

Good fats include olive oils, nuts, avocados (my favorite treat to carry out of town). Sticks of butter carry well in the cold season.

Finally, you might want to check out this website:
http://cookforgood.com/current_menu_month.html

It's set up for us stationary types, to help us eat well cheaply, and you'll want to skip the bread recipe (though the rest of us might not). But you might pick up some great ideas and tips on eating well for less - peanut butters, etc.

"You can eat well for just $1.25 a meal. Eat "green" for only $1.78 a meal.

And that's using prices from January 2009. I squeezed an extra 20 cents out of the average meal since I began this experiment in June 2007, despite rising food prices.

Plus, I've developed two great bread recipes. Each one makes two loaves of nutritious, tasty bread with only 20 minutes of work - with no special equipment. One bread recipe (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102477090620&e=001wC6eTFZjwJN1E4DmBopx0CBBu0pIdvCkOH6oVxZHwTqLe PCmShPr-WHMlPCO8w0Z3Mn4KYMb0gQJ-TuSUhiR3FTlOBXhaqUszWi_-nPnFRJ-IC5PQ13VpaWmMBQUR-UGNFZqwOvSiV7UQ_h2di4eDg==) is on the site now and the other will be available in the ebook and printed pamphlet that I hope will be available in March. They will include more recipes, plus the step-by-step cooking plans that show how to make the best use of your time and money.

Please come check out the website to see the month of menus (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102477090620&e=001wC6eTFZjwJNTux4C7nXAsL-p7ZhBI7qLtW42iV9UrnU7rBSdt_o-aLPhSNJ3nNJDqnqktZEWhL4_ZEkeA0XYHJRhCOa-JIw1L5NeX3SsmEVst5uLCx9l0JY4oFFSIFaYiXJtO72fn5g=), shopping (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102477090620&e=001wC6eTFZjwJNeu-hGhHnl7LCzWlI4_pKbpRXW8N07iziFYwkhMjP7NDD2VnVj5TQe kRazPXukTSjGg3gDOEEGZSCYXyytU7sFmzKeQngDdnVOeqJeuu dL8FXFTgyZ8bfsuQq9hDjl07iQ4NxBun9FsTlWGBKFTbUO) lists (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102477090620&e=001wC6eTFZjwJMELz6MmvHHIMXVhCxm7dodz2raDOlTkpH8g qDLv03763S-s98Yxa48do_4YG55vfNOIckuc5-xx6SP-VSUz_rtz6-dSL19IeLiW-LQiJomZRuxiIEILqj2uQXqWMKHIh9ja6iNEbj0ivk3UWPdCvyy ), and recipes (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102477090620&e=001wC6eTFZjwJOcVq8QvPA3PTPZWYRdqmdxSu_ulHwzHdoxW 5EgF6p0Pzk5iRGtoGUvqHHr72CmRQrSWyEIMEGUQG1_IBkpRH4 LPoHMWeDX5KOw0LpbPu9TNDDWUrCRjwav) that make this all come together. Each month, I'll update the prices for the Cook for Good top 20 foods (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102477090620&e=001wC6eTFZjwJPZ_0aZ7NKcVL6RuA0zakhg2_03IOWTPIp2P 9HKE26wE5INz5_Oq2SyLLiQ9CZJ5Ev9J49ea8nkuEs0TTWFmj4 hzpm8SkGJSc7AA1tzXhII4DlTPnJ1bKMl) and every season will have a new month's worth of menus."
Good luck on your journey.
:)

SGT Rock
02-27-2009, 20:31
Breakfast:
2 packs grits
3 brakfast bars
2 coffee singles
1/2 ounce olive oil.

Lunch:
1 tortilla
1 package of ramen (hot or cold your choice)
cheese
summer sausage
Drink mix

Dinner:
1 liptons
1 foil package of chicken
1 single pack instant pudding
1 tortila
1/2 ounce olive oil
2 tea bags

Snacks:
1 ounce jerky per day
2 ounce GORP per day
2 Candy pars per day

That is a general plan of food.

johnnybgood
02-27-2009, 21:26
Some good stuff there Jan .

I saved this in my documents for the day I get to do my thru-hike .

Sgt. Rock , good meal plans with more variety.

garlic08
02-27-2009, 21:41
I disagree with the above post about buying bulk. It's a slightly contentious issue that could go either way, depending on the hiker. But I know I've been hiking a little cheaper since I started buying food as I hike instead of pre-purchasing and mailing. A major issue is logisitics. Sometimes it's hard to get to a post office or the business holding your package during business hours. I you spend one unplanned night in town because of that, there go all your food savings. Buying as you go is a faster, simpler, and I say cheaper way to go, and you can vary your diet as you hike, too. Others have had different experiences. Good luck on your hike.

By the way, cheap food for me is cereal, peanut butter, tortillas, ramen, raisins. More expensive is cheese, fig newtons, tree nuts, but I really need those fats.

atraildreamer
02-27-2009, 22:03
Where can I find chicken in foil envelopes in Rhode Island? There is tuna and
salmon, but I cannot find chicken! Anyone know what stores in RI, in the Providence area, that carries it? :confused:

fiddlehead
02-27-2009, 22:19
mac and cheese with tuna or chicken thrown in. (or hamburger if you dry your own food)
spice them up with whatever you like: Dried veggies, powdered milk (fat dried milk if you can find it), olive oil of butter, dried beans, cous cous, the list is endless and lots of threads on here about it.

potato chips are good

little debbies baked goods are popular

snickers bars (highest calories for any candy bar out there)

Remember, anything you eat every day, you will probably get tired of. I still to this day can't eat instant oatmeal or ramens. also, your appetite will increase as you go.

Have fun.

Kathfishes
02-28-2009, 19:25
I love to eat! I've never done more than 10 days, but Some good things I've found I'd probably plan to eat light the couple of days after a "chow down" ..then heavy up for a couple and light before a planned "food" place.
Oatmeal, frosted mini shreaded wheats are good for breakfasts or as a snack, dried cranberries (help prevent UTI's too), dried papaya or pineapple, or any other dried fruit that you like, brocille and chees rice-a-roni mixed with tuna or chicken (foil pack) Air-dried beef (like you use for SOS) mixed with mashed potatoes, sprinkled with cheese and seasoning like "old Bay" for some zip. Shelf-stable bacon and ham steaks are available in most grocery stores and doesn't need refridgeration, I've even carried a few eggs in a zipplock bag wrapped in my towel, even if they break..pick out the shell.. set the bag into boilin water after crumbling in some of the bacon and cheese..MMMMMM good.
Betty Crocker and Banquet both make a "complete" pasta basted carrosole boxed dinner you can get..they're a bit heavy but worth it At home are done in the oven and can be made as a one pot meal..just add water and a bit of powdered milk. withut the flavor suffering. I find them at "Dollar General" or Family Dollar stores for about $3.50. they will really fill up a hungery hiker..
The foil-packed chicken can usually be found with the tuna or in the "Spam" section of your local grocery. Write to the company that makes it..they'd probably send you coupons, saving more money and just might send you some packs if they're not available in your area!

Kathfishes
02-28-2009, 19:30
Did ya look in both the tuna and the "Spam" section? I get mine at Pathmark stores.

prain4u
03-01-2009, 01:24
I have not thru hiked (yet). However, I have done several hikes of 2-4 weeks duration--and I do like to eat. I have also done pretty extensive reading on nutrition issues.

There are three areas where one should NOT try to cut corners on a hike--or it will come back to "bite you in the rear" over the long haul:
1. Footwear
2. Your pack (especially if it is ill-fitting or prone to breakage)
3. Food

You need to eat a balanced diet. This is even more important on a long hike than it is at home. I am amazed when I read of the extremely unbalanced diets that some people follow on their thru hikes. Some people have probably done long-lasting harm to their bodies that will really haunt them years down the road. "One does not live on Ramen noodles alone".

You especially need to consume some good proteins to help with muscle repair and muscle rebuilding. Calcium and other nutrients are essential for bone growth and bone strength. Carbs and "sugars" are good for energy. etc. etc. etc. A balanced, healthy, diet is a "must". (If you want to avoid nutition-related problems).

There is no reason why one HAS to lose weight and lose muscle mass on a thru hike. However, in an effort to save money, reduce weight, and reduce food preparation time--it sounds like many hikers do exactly that.

Please don't try to cut corners when it comes to food and nutrition--it will only harm you in the long run.

atraildreamer
03-08-2009, 18:32
Did ya look in both the tuna and the "Spam" section? I get mine at Pathmark stores.

Found the Spam singles at one store, but only found chicken in cans. :(

sarbar
03-08-2009, 20:04
Found the Spam singles at one store, but only found chicken in cans. :(
The empty cans these days weigh the same as a pouch that is empty. And you can crush it with your heel.
A 5-ounce can is perfect for one person who likes meat. Use the broth in the can in your meal!

Pokey2006
03-08-2009, 22:15
Most stores along the AT only have the cans. Sometimes you get lucky and catch the pouches. But Sarbar is right, they actually weigh close to the same. The difference for me is taste. Those chicken breasts in the pouch, especially the flavored ones, are yummy!

shelterbuilder
03-08-2009, 22:39
Where can I find chicken in foil envelopes in Rhode Island? There is tuna and
salmon, but I cannot find chicken! Anyone know what stores in RI, in the Providence area, that carries it? :confused:

Down here in Pa., the grocery section of the local Wally World has them.

Sarbar, I'm really surprised about the can vs. pouch weight comparison - I would have thought that the pouch would have weighed less. I've carried small cans of meats for decades, and have always been laughed at for carrying the extra weight, but a can of tuna or chicken or ham added to a mac'n cheese dinner REALLY fuels you for a long day's trek. Plus, a variety of meats means that you won't be eating the SAME mac'n cheese (or ramen, or what-have-you) every day.

4eyedbuzzard
03-08-2009, 23:05
The empty cans these days weigh the same as a pouch that is empty. And you can crush it with your heel.
A 5-ounce can is perfect for one person who likes meat. Use the broth in the can in your meal!

Normally at home I buy tuna in water. But on the trail if I buy tuna I buy it in oil for the extra calories. Might as well get some free calories. And I love all the chicken pouches with different flavors, and the salmon too.

JAK
03-09-2009, 01:13
I think I would also buy as I went, and I would eat healthy, but I think it would still be relatively cheap.

Grains + Legume = relatively cheap, complete protien, and very healthy
You don't have to combine both in each meal.
Oatmeal for breakfast and Lentils for supper works. Many other combinations.

You still need other stuff, but that is a very good start, and healthy, and cheap.
Paprika is a great source of vitamin A and vitamin C and other good stuff.
You will also need stuff denser in sugars and fats if you are doing high mileage.
That might mean adding some currants and almonds, which also adds flavour.

Oats and Lentils at under $0.50 per pound, but once you add other stuff you might average $1 per pound, or perhaps $1.50 per day. $2 per day would be better. Beyond that is discretionary, but alot of that discretionary spending can still be well spent at grocery stores.

Meat is relatively expensive, but good to include some. Some beef jerky every day might be nice, but for the same money you could get a really big juicy steak once a week. You could buy it on the way out of town and cook it up as soon as you can.

Fresh fruit and vegetables. Generally but not always cheaper fresh than in some dehydrated form, though there are exceptions. Raisins or currants are cheaper than grapes. Paprika is probably cheaper than most fresh fruit. I would still include some fresh fruit now and then, like when you get to town to resupply, and even to carry some vegetables on the trail to add to soup. Its alot cheaper to treat yourself at the grocery store than at a restaraunt. There are some exceptions, like places that feed lots of people at once.

Grains and Legumes is a good start though. Good solid foundation.

JAK
03-09-2009, 01:40
Say $1 a day for basic staples like grains and legumes and currants and almonds and skim milk powder, plus another $7 a week for meat, plus another $1 a day to include more fresh fruits and vegetables or other healthy or tastey choices. and stuff like coffee or tea, and say another $7 a week for favourite bottled or canned beverage, that makes $4 a day. If you round it up to $5 that might be $0.50 per mile at 10 miles a day. Budget yourself by the mile and you will reward yourself with a little more money per day if you make time by spending less time in towns, or more days between resupply. If you make 12 miles a day you have $6 a day, and a 20 mile day earns an extra $4 to spend i the next town.

If you want the occassional motel or hostel stay, or pizza and beer joint, or some place with good beer and music, or just a really nice sit down breakfast and coffee and the ability to leave a decent tip to a nice lady, $1 a mile would be a fine budget.

Paying yourself $0.50 per mile, plus perhaps that much again for certain milestones at special places along the trail, might be a very good way to manage the operating budget of an AT hike.

shelterbuilder
03-09-2009, 08:04
I think I would also buy as I went, and I would eat healthy, but I think it would still be relatively cheap.

Grains + Legume = relatively cheap, complete protien, and very healthy
You don't have to combine both in each meal.
Oatmeal for breakfast and Lentils for supper works. Many other combinations.

You still need other stuff, but that is a very good start, and healthy, and cheap.
Paprika is a great source of vitamin A and vitamin C and other good stuff.
You will also need stuff denser in sugars and fats if you are doing high mileage.
That might mean adding some currants and almonds, which also adds flavour.

Oats and Lentils at under $0.50 per pound, but once you add other stuff you might average $1 per pound, or perhaps $1.50 per day. $2 per day would be better. Beyond that is discretionary, but alot of that discretionary spending can still be well spent at grocery stores.

Meat is relatively expensive, but good to include some. Some beef jerky every day might be nice, but for the same money you could get a really big juicy steak once a week. You could buy it on the way out of town and cook it up as soon as you can.

Fresh fruit and vegetables. Generally but not always cheaper fresh than in some dehydrated form, though there are exceptions. Raisins or currants are cheaper than grapes. Paprika is probably cheaper than most fresh fruit. I would still include some fresh fruit now and then, like when you get to town to resupply, and even to carry some vegetables on the trail to add to soup. Its alot cheaper to treat yourself at the grocery store than at a restaraunt. There are some exceptions, like places that feed lots of people at once.

Grains and Legumes is a good start though. Good solid foundation.

There's an old recipe that I used to use that's cheap, but very versatile, and can be changed up to suit your taste.

3 parts rice
2 parts lentils
1 part barley
powdered gravy mix (any flavor)
any fresh vegetables (optional, if available)

cook grains until tender and drain MOST but not all excess water. Stir in gravy mix and vegetables, return to heat, cook for another minute or two. Enjoy.

Check with Sarbar for modified cooking directions for freezer bag cooking - I was never big on using cozies. This is cheap, filling, and the flavor can be changed just by changing the gravy mix. The lentils add protein to your diet so your muscles won't suffer over the long haul.

sarbar
03-09-2009, 10:54
Barley dehydrates well and becomes instant that way :) One thing to consider along with a grocery store diet is to have a couple basics that you get - for example, instant rice and precooked/dehdyrated grains. Add in bags of mixed dehydrated veggies that are diced - easy to add in a scoop of your hand to any meal for and extra boost. Don't forget to pack a bottle of oil as well.

sarbar
03-09-2009, 10:56
PS: Forgot to add: any bean that is cooked can be dehydrated for instant legumes. Lentils work perfect. Just don't over cook your beans into mush! Canned beans work well for this: drain, rinse well, drain and dehydrate. Use a couple Tablespoons per meal.

Cheap and good protein!

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 12:18
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "very inexpensive", because it can have a world of impact on your diet and logistics, as food is by far the biggest single expense during a hike?

sarbar
03-09-2009, 15:17
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "very inexpensive", because it can have a world of impact on your diet and logistics, as food is by far the biggest single expense during a hike?

That is a very good point.

As well....if you don't eat good your performance will suffer, which could leave not feeling so great - or losing too much weight over the hike.

JAK
03-09-2009, 15:26
I think we have established that healthy food can be relatively inexpensive.
The additional money isn't so much for nutrition, but for taste, and socializing.

JAK
03-09-2009, 15:27
Both of which are legitimate of course. Many can't live by oats and lentils alone. ;)

JAK
03-09-2009, 15:49
On my local 3-5 day hikes there isn't any towns to stop in except at the start and finish.
My budget for a 60km hike of Fundy Trail Parkway, Fundy Footpath, and Goose River Trail might go like this...

Drive to Fundy Trail Parkway for dropoff, 2 ways = 150km = $15
Drive to Fundy National Park for pickup, 2 ways = 400km = $40
Stop at Restraunt in Sussex on way back from Fundy = $40
Actual food for trail for 3 days = $6
Total cost = $101 for 60km or about $2.80 per mile.

Alternatively, if I was dropped off and picked up at Fundy Trail and did 120km in 6 days...
Drive to Fundy Trail Parkway for dropoff, 2 ways = 150km = $15
Stop at Restaraunt in St.Martins on way back = $40
Actual food for trail for 6 days = $12
Total cost = $67 for 120km or about $1 per mile.

Now if I left my house by kayak, or bike, and traveled to and from the trail that way,
the cost could be to reduced to as little as $0.25 per mile (counting bike miles as 3 hiking miles, and paddling miles as 1 hiking mile).

I've been thinking more and more of paddling to trail heads. I live right on Brothers Cove in Millidgeville. Pretty traditional way to go. I could paddle up the St.John River and pickup the Trans Canada Trail in Fredericton, or even further up the river, even to the IAT. I could also go up the Kennebecasis and Hammond River and then hike down to Big Salmon River to connect to the Fundy Footpath, or all the way to Portagevale and the hike to the Dobson Trail. I could also go out through the Reversing Falls on Slack Tide and catch the Flood Tide up the Bay to Big Salmon River and then hike the Fundy Footpath, or who knows even paddle right to the tantramar and portage over to the Northumberland Strait and the paddle all the way up to the start of the IAT in Campbelton or Gaspe.

I should really think more about combining paddling with hiking.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2009, 15:51
My experience has been that the healthier I eat, the more expensive it actually is. Oatmeal, grains, pasta, etc aren't too bad in price, but good fruit and produce aren't cheap. I think I've cut my meat intake in half over the last two years, and reduced red meat to perhaps once a week, but overall my food costs haven't gone down even considering price infaltion and the fact that I've cut out a lot of prepared and "junk" foods.

Eating healthy while hiking is still going to cost some reasonable amount no matter what you do considering the quantity and nutritional value you need to stay healthy while hiking long distances. And even if you dry some foods and package it yourself you've then got the repackaging and shipping/mailing costs to consider. You can probably save a little, but I think it would be maybe a few hundred dollars at best.

JAK
03-10-2009, 08:36
I would agree with that. Oatmeal and lentils are cheap and form a good base, but for fresh fruit and vegetables it adds up, but its definitely worth it to have some extra if it keeps you from eating junk. Also in addition to your base you need some denser calories if your hiking, and this can be more pricey depending on your choices. I add stuff like currants, almonds, honey, which aren't really expensive per calorie but more than oats and lentils. I also believe in some meat, and I think its worth paying for some good stuff. 100g a day should be enough. You could do something like beef jerky every day, but a nice steak once a week might be better for you and just as cheap. That might add $1 a day if you cook it yourself on the trail, but it might be more practical to have it someplace, which would cost more. But the real cost there is eating out, not the nutrition. Whatever your budget, paying yourself per mile hiked, plus some extra at certain milestones along the way, would be a nice way to manage it. One person might try and go $0.25 per mile, plus maybe an extra $25 every 100 miles, for a total of $0.50 per mile. That would be very frugal, but could still be nutritious if that is just for food and the odd beer. Doubling that, to $0.50 per mile, plus an extra $50 every 100 miles, would be alot more flexible, and still very nutritious, or not, depending on your taste.

Wags
03-10-2009, 21:01
-blocks of cheese are loaded w/ calories and calcium, not overly expensive
-agreed on packs of tuna and salmon
-fig newtons

Trail Bug
03-11-2009, 07:46
This may seem like a crazy question but how do you resupply olive oil on the trail? Do the stores near the trail carry packets or very small bottles? Never paid much attention while in the stores, but most bottles I have seen means that you would have to waste a lot of oil or carry extra weight unless there were several hikers sharing the cost.

garlic08
03-11-2009, 13:42
This may seem like a crazy question but how do you resupply olive oil on the trail? Do the stores near the trail carry packets or very small bottles? Never paid much attention while in the stores, but most bottles I have seen means that you would have to waste a lot of oil or carry extra weight unless there were several hikers sharing the cost.

My friend who used a lot of olive oil (then had a heart attack, age 40) would carry a dedicated Nalgene for it. He'd buy up to one liter at a time and that would last a week to ten days. For him it was worth the weight until the heart disease started slowing him down.

flemdawg1
03-11-2009, 15:38
10 days per liter!? Good lord, what were ya'll doing, having wrestling tournaments in the shelters?

Hikes in Rain
03-11-2009, 19:33
Must....delete...mental rollo.......dex....image!

BigFoot2002
03-11-2009, 21:31
16 oz bottles of regular olive oil cost about the same as much smaller bottles of extra virgin. I don't like my food to be too olive oily, so I buy the regular. I refill my 8 oz (bottled water) bottle and hiker box the rest. Don't forget to check the hiker box on the way to the store.

And for a cheap breakfast, I buy the (blue box) quick grits, hiker box about half (hard item to find someone to split it with for some reason) and eat with olive oil drizzled on top. Even if you give half away, its still cheaper than the envelopes of instant. Same with boxes of minute oats.

JAK
03-11-2009, 21:37
You can use it to rub on you skin also, which is a good thing to do especially in winter.

garlic08
03-11-2009, 21:42
10 days per liter!? Good lord, what were ya'll doing, having wrestling tournaments in the shelters?

Good Lord is right, except this was the PCT, so the shelter image didn't come to me. Seriously, the guy used 4-6 oz per day, mostly in a couple of packages of Idahoan mashed potatoes. As was said above, all things in moderation (including moderation!).

JAK
03-11-2009, 21:56
7-10 days per liter is about 1000kcal of olive oil per day.
If he was already lean from hiking, like 10% body fat, and burning say 4500 kcal/day, and the olive oil was his primary source of fat, then that's not totally unreasonable. Personally I would opt for more foods with fat in it, like almonds and other nuts, and peanuts, and maybe some steak now and then, but maybe he was doing that also. Hikers hiking 8 hours a day burn mostly fat, so if they are lean they can consume mostly fat, up to 40% of calories I would say. I'm overweight so I have basically the same 45% carbs and 15% protien as though I were lean, but cut the fat down to 10%, meaning the other 30% comes from my body fat. That's the theory anyways.

JAK
03-11-2009, 21:57
I meant to say lean hikers can consume more fat, not mostly fat.