PDA

View Full Version : Hotels along the trail

Chance09
02-27-2009, 15:29
I'm planning on only staying in a hotel about once a month on the trail for a few reasons, money being one, but also because what is really the point of going on a long hike if i'm going to be spending nights in hotels frequently. So if i'm going to spend the night in a place for say over $50 what does everyone recommend? Anything that I'd be sad to have missed?

I'm not sure what criteria I should use to judge by so i guess hiker friendly and value for the $$$ would have to do. So that said, what does everyone think?

Sly
02-27-2009, 15:36
IMO, the Holiday Inn Express in Hiawassee is the best "hotel" on the trail. Of course there's always the Doyle which has a bar and restaurant.

Yahtzee
02-27-2009, 15:41
I think you could stay in two hotels a month for $50. Depending on how much you like your privacy you could always share your room with another hiker and split the costs.

Ron Haven's hotel in Franklin is a must. That'll be probably be your first one. I like the one in Hot Springs for it's convenience. Not too many in VA that are near the trail, except for the 81 interchange. Those are a bit more in cost, but if you split a room it will be well under $50. Not much need for hotels in PA, NJ or NY (except the Doyle whose prices are more than reasonable). The further north you get from there the cheaper the rooms get. Maine hotel rooms are cheap, cheap, cheap.

Again, depending on your required level of privacy, some hotels can be cheaper than hostels stays if you split one amongst 2 or 3 people. Just have to make sure at check-in what the policy is on guests. Some charge 5 or 10 extra per person, but split that 3 ways, it doesn't add much to the bill.

Yahtzee
02-27-2009, 15:43
IMO, the Holiday Inn Express in Hiawassee is the best "hotel" on the trail.

It certainly has the best hiker box. Holy schnikes what newbies throw away is insane. When I was there, there were two refrigerator-size boxes full of gear and food. Quality stuff. But yeah, it is a great place. Not sure if the poster is trying to rough it if he'll want to get a room that soon into his hike, but I love hotels and I love that one big-time.

Sly
02-27-2009, 15:46
I remember the room being nice and big with a couch, plus the pool, whirlpool, great breakfast bar, near Daniels, etc.

Kirby
02-27-2009, 15:51
I stayed there with three other hikers, great hotel.

Jeff
02-27-2009, 16:33
Most motels listed in the guidebooks look pretty good to a weary hiker. Maybe we should list the motels where we were disappointed:

The motel in Glascow, VA cost more than it was worth.

The motel in Atkins/Groseclose, VA has been going downhill for several years. Thankfully, Rambunny and Aqua's new hostel nearby will be a hit with hikers.

peakbagger
02-27-2009, 17:35
The Holiday Inn express is Erwin is nice (but a bit remote from town, not that far from the trail).

A lot of folks tend to stay at a motel in Gorham NH. No national chains, but a range of prices. Royalty Inn is priciest as it has a full health club with indoor pool, but several options at lower costs. Note its a tourist town so make sure you know what the price is for the room before you stay, as sometimes the prices go up substantially during weekends and special events.

Lilred
02-27-2009, 20:35
Well, some don't miss places to spend your money at, that aren't really hotels, are Elmer's Sunnybank Inn in Hot Springs, and Mountain Harbor B&B, which has a really nice hiker hostel too, on 19E just north of the Humps.

stranger
02-28-2009, 23:46
Going north, you have Blood Mountain Cabins at Neels Gap, 0.2 mile down from the Gap, that only cost $50/night, with another person, or two, it's quite affordable, plus you have a whole house, fireplace, deck, kitchen, etc...

The Hiawassee Inn may not be spectacular, but the people are great, the rooms are clean, and only $45, close to everything in town.

Ron Haven's motel or the Franklin Motel are both great, I prefer the Franklin Motel personally, both cost around $35 night, Franklin motel slightly less when I was there last year. But with Haven's you catch the shuttle back to the gap for free.

Fontana Dam Lodge, $60 last year, beautiful room, the best I've had on the trail.

Grand Prix in Gatlinburg, around $40-45 night depending on your negotiating skills, it seems like everyone who stayed there paid a different price for some reason.

Alpine Court Motel??? In hot springs, $45 night, the shower starts out very hot, then goes luke warm quickly, stalls there for a bit, then goes cold! Numerous people had this experience last year.

Super 8 in Erwin is OK, not great, about $55/night, and not very close to anything but a gas station and huddle house.

There really isn't a motel option from Erwin to Atkins, about 200 miles. The Relax Inn in Atkins is a shadow of the old Village Hotel and Restaurant, the burnt restaurant is still there and an eyesore, but it's good enough for it's location and $40.

These are the places I used last year, I would recommend all of them for a simple nights rest, shower, time to yourself, etc...

modiyooch
02-28-2009, 23:50
Maria's house in Salisbury, CT.

Skyline
03-01-2009, 00:11
In the SNP region, the most popular motels with hikers seem to be:

Waynesboro: Quality Inn (some section hikers stay at the Inn at Afton or the Colony near Rockfish Gap, but most thru-hikers come into town)

Luray: Budget Inn or Cardinal Inn

Front Royal: Center City Motel, Super 8, or Quality Inn

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2009, 14:20
Brenda at the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg is one of the nicest people you'll meet on your whole trip. And it's right on the Trail.

And did anyone mention the Doyle in Duncannon? Not exactly fancy, but lots of character, wonderful owners, and great food. Lots less than fifty bucks, too.

And here in Hanover, lots of folks speak highly of the Sunset, a small motel just out of town.

That being said, if you're lucky enough to meet and stay with Ron Haven in Franklin, everywhere else will seem second-rate. When it comes to motels on the A.T., Ron kinda sets the gold standard.

Blue Jay
03-01-2009, 20:26
Brenda at the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg is one of the nicest people you'll meet on your whole trip. And it's right on the Trail.

And did anyone mention the Doyle in Duncannon? Not exactly fancy, but lots of character, wonderful owners, and great food. Lots less than fifty bucks, too.

And here in Hanover, lots of folks speak highly of the Sunset, a small motel just out of town.

That being said, if you're lucky enough to meet and stay with Ron Haven in Franklin, everywhere else will seem second-rate. When it comes to motels on the A.T., Ron kinda sets the gold standard.

I completely agree with 3 out of 4, only because I have not stayed in Franklin yet (I'll take Jack's word on that one). Last year I hiked all the way from home to Duncannon just to stay at the Doyle (well, also to give Mary Parry some picture so she could make me a calendar). I would rather stay at the Doyle than the best Hotels in the world. Much better class of people.

Lilred
03-02-2009, 00:45
[QUOTE=stranger;791281]

There really isn't a motel option from Erwin to Atkins, about 200 miles. The Relax Inn in Atkins is a shadow of the old Village Hotel and Restaurant, the burnt restaurant is still there and an eyesore, but it's good enough for it's location and $40.

I was at the Relax Inn 3 years ago and paid $50. Place was dirty and sheets were too. I'd stay at the new hostel near there if I were to go thru there again.

High Life
03-02-2009, 01:08
IMO, the Holiday Inn Express in Hiawassee is the best "hotel" on the trail. Of course there's always the Doyle which has a bar and restaurant.

holy crap i was thinking the same thing !!
my friend got me a room there in 2007
i loved it and it wasnt too exspensive
hahaah that was the first one to enter my mind

also the inn at long trail is 50 $ for hikers comes with a great breakfast
but plan on having a guinness and some stew ! its amazing best geinness on the trail hands down ...

Dogwood
03-02-2009, 21:30
So many that can be named. Look through the Thru-Hiker Companion for rooms available, ph #'s, and rates.

stranger
03-02-2009, 21:43
Lilred, I stayed at the Relax Inn last year, and it was fine, and $40, I can't comment about it 3 years ago... It certainly was nicer in 1995 when it was the Village Motel and the restaurant was still there. Saying that, I don't expect much from a $40 hotel room, basically clean sheets, air conditioning, and hot water is enough for me - OH I need a TV, they had that too.

Kanati
03-02-2009, 23:44
The Dutch Haus B & B in the upper half of Va some place, but I can't remember where. It's next to....uh,to....uh.... Well, I can't remember and I'm too lazy to get up and get my book. Anyway, the price is right, the accomodations are excellent and you can slack pack 18 miles south from Reid Gap over that little bump in the trail known as the Priest.

And you simply must stay at the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon, PA !!!! I can't emphasize this enough.

Happy hiking. :sun

Sly
03-03-2009, 00:17
The Dutch Haus B & B in the upper half of Va some place, but I can't remember where. It's next to....uh,to....uh.... Well, I can't remember and I'm too lazy to get up and get my book. Anyway, the price is right, the accomodations are excellent and you can slack pack 18 miles south from Reid Gap over that little bump in the trail known as the Priest.

Reeds Gap and the "town" is Montebello. ;)