PDA

View Full Version : about tarp tents

mtbmatty
02-27-2009, 15:33
i'm thinking i may want to lighten my pack weight. the one thing i think i could really save on is my tent. i bought a new MSR hubba hubba. i thought i was willing to carry the weight to have a lil bit of extra room, gear, stretching, etc.

i know next to nothing about tarptents, but i saw one in the new backpacker and it was really light.

1) do they all need the use of a trekking pole to set-up.

2) are they stable (in windy conditions)

3) room enough for gear, stretching

4) what are some reputable brands that are durable/lighweight

any help here is appreciated

le loupe
02-27-2009, 15:51
I just bought the kelty noah 9.

Plenty of room. half as much weight as my one man. I use a pole to help set it up and very low price - $48 from backcountrygear.com

If i had $200, a henry shires Tarptent would be the way to go as it has a floor and bug netting all-in-one.

you're gonna get a ton of answers regarding MYG and everybody's favorite tarps. strike a balance.

q-tip
02-27-2009, 15:51
Henry Shires Cloudburst II. 2 poles not freestanding, good in wind, good interior space, vestibule, 2.5 lbs, very easy set up, take down, great tent. I am taking it on my thru starting monday. I've had it for 3 years and it hasn't let me down yet.

Johnny Thunder
02-27-2009, 15:54
Look at Henry Shires Tarptents...they might not be the most efficiently designed tarptents but they have been around for a number of years surviving thousands of thru-hikes.

I think the Rainbow offers the best use of internal space.

le loupe
02-27-2009, 15:57
Look at Henry Shires Tarptents...they might not be the most efficiently designed tarptents but they have been around for a number of years surviving thousands of thru-hikes.

I think the Rainbow offers the best use of internal space.

not the most efficiently designed? - Maybe I haven't seen enough but find me another with a floor, bug netting, and stakes for 24 oz.

Johnny Thunder
02-27-2009, 16:05
not the most efficiently designed? - Maybe I haven't seen enough but find me another with a floor, bug netting, and stakes for 24 oz.

Sorry...I think I opened up a huge discussion here. Let me explain what I meant and where I was coming from.

I hiked with a HS Rainbow and later a Cloudburst this summer. They were both great tents.

What I meant by "most efficient" is that I felt there are other Tarp Tent designs that used fewer seams and less paneling to a greater overall effect.

And I'm not just talking about overall floorspace...I'm talking about livable space. I could make you the lightest Tarptent ever but if it's only 18 inches off the ground you're not going to want it.

FamilyGuy
02-27-2009, 16:41

With respect to Shires Tarptents:

1) No. You can buy supplied poles and even double pole. I think the poles weigh about 3oz each.

2) Yes - some require a bit more care with pointing the end of the shelter into the wind. Some people use the Rainbow (with its pole structure) in the snow.

3) Absolutely. The solo tents have similar room to most traditional 2 person shelters.

4) Tarpent, Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, among others.

kytrailman
02-27-2009, 17:40
i'm thinking i may want to lighten my pack weight. the one thing i think i could really save on is my tent. i bought a new MSR hubba hubba. i thought i was willing to carry the weight to have a lil bit of extra room, gear, stretching, etc.

i know next to nothing about tarptents, but i saw one in the new backpacker and it was really light.

1--NO
2--YES
3--Many sizes available
4--Tarptent; Six Moons Desigs, Gossamer Gear, More....

There is a Tarptent Contrail in the used gear forum for sale now.

kytrailman
02-27-2009, 17:43
Tarptent Rainbow or double rainbow---- free-standing with outstanding space inside. Steep walls and good height.Stuffs super small and is very light. I love mine.

Franco
02-27-2009, 18:03
There are Tarptents and tarp tents.
Spend a few minutes here http://www.tarptent.com/ (http://www.tarptent.com/) to see the various designs and specs. Note that several product pages have links to a newer version and to the cutaway dimensions page, a very useful way to figure out the usable space. Note that many tarp tents have a lot of dead space, peripheral area that is too shallow for any use.
Also note that if you want to see the latest version of the Contrail you need to search for my Contrail 08 posts.
BTW, with a little practice you should be able to set up any Tarptent as you see it at the TT site, under any intended use conditions (ie several push them to the 4th season but they are all except for the Scarp series, 3 season tents)
The other brand available is from AGG, 3 models there, note that one is called Tarptent http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=69 (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products.php?cat=69)
My advice , if you get one of the types that can be used with trekking poles is to either use your poles or get an extra one ( about 1 oz, $5 from Tarptent) so that if you need you can tie two poles together.
See my Contrail tricks part two , also search here under Contrail and Rainbow for lots of suggestions (pictures) on how to get the best out of them.
Franco

Lilred
02-27-2009, 18:28
I have an '03 Squall from Henry Shires' Tarptents and LOVE it. The design is perfect. Any condensation inside just rolls down the sides, through the mesh and onto the ground outside. I've been in raging thunderstorms and in the middle of a gullywash and never got wet inside. I can sit up in it and get dressed without ever hitting the top or sides. Course I'm short, but still.... Mine has an extended beak and bathtub floor. It takes me about 3 minutes to set it up. Not only does all my gear fit inside with me, but my pack is usually unpacked as well. It's like a friggin Taj Majal.

mtbmatty
02-27-2009, 19:16
thank you all, i have not had a chance to check out all the links and websites yet. although i did get a quick look at backcountry gear and saw the tarptents.
very interested!! depending on the model i could easily drop 2lbs, maybe more compared to my tent.
i have heard a lot of pros, lightweight, fast set-up,durable
any cons??

also if you are using the pole to support the front; do you just jam it in the ground and tie off by the handle? do you need to angle it, or does it tighten up by guying it out?

do you still need a footprint, or should you still use one?

anything else

Lilred
02-27-2009, 19:30
You turn your pole upside down and put the pointy end in the grommet and tie it out. It tightens up.

The only con I have is the condensation. But it's not that bad and a quick swipe with the bandana usually takes care of the worst of it. I have had some misting when a heavy rain is falling, but nothing to fret about. It actually felt kinda good.

I've never used a footprint. I'm pretty careful about clearing away the loose stuff.

Franco
02-27-2009, 20:28
Footprint
Personal decision, I don't but my impression is that it is about a 50/50 choice.

Pole : which way is up ?
Lilred is using the Tarptent way, as it was meant to be used.
I use it the other way so that the handle is not in the mud and the tip sinks a bit into the ground so that it does not slip. However with the Contrail I often set it up using two poles (handle up) because... I can.
Franco

SouthMark
02-27-2009, 20:48
I usually use two poles handles up because I learned that method from Franco.
Dale

slow
02-28-2009, 00:41

If you want room and ease of setup ...hands down SMD DUO,nobody can match it.Great tent.

rjohns94
02-28-2009, 00:59
What are the thoughts of the Kifaru tarps? thanks

jnflas91
02-28-2009, 10:50
i would say just a lightwight tarp and if you want a bug screen, somthing like OWARE or EQUINOX

Pootz
02-28-2009, 11:03
I have 3 tart tents. Squall, Rainbow and double rainbow. All great tents. the advantage of the Rainbows are that they can be set up free standing with the use of you hiking poles and they have more head room than the squall. The only down side are the stakes, throw them out and get your self some lite solid metal ones. I used the squall on my thru hike with no problems and my girlfriend loved her rainbow.

mtbmatty
02-28-2009, 16:41
using the 2 pole set-up is ther more room to enter & exit??

are the henry shire tarptents only available on-line or can you go check them out at retailers? do they come w/ a stuff sack?

Franco
02-28-2009, 17:59
Tarptents are sold directly and through http://www.backcountrygear.com/index.cfm (http://www.backcountrygear.com/index.cfm), I am not aware of any retailer stocking them. That would push the price up, keep in mind that TT are made in the US and in small numbers (compared to Chinese production lines)
They all come with a stuff suck and 6x stakes.The published weight includes that.
Do not throw the Easton away, just add a couple of Y stakes or whatever you like. Typically I have a minimum of 8 stakes with me, including a couple of Ti needle type (the thick ones) and a couple of the Y . Often you need a non Easton only for one or two spots.
I always find it very amusing when the last stake does not go in. (not so amusing whilst I am trying to find a way to push it in)
The two pole set up (with the Contrail) is to have a pole free entrance. Nice in particular if I bother with my annex extension, I need a mate's stick for that.
(large enough for meals and to play cards out of the rain)
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-XT-2.jpg

wrongway_08
02-28-2009, 18:05
Nice.

Did you melt a spot on that tarp cooking inside it? Just wondering.

mtbmatty
02-28-2009, 18:15
Nice.

Did you melt a spot on that tarp cooking inside it? Just wondering.

alright alright let's keep it to serious questions only....

Franco what are you feedin that cat?? that things huge:eek::D

kytrailman
02-28-2009, 19:06
I ordered mine from the TT site. It arrived on time and was perfect on delivery with setup and care instructions. It does come with a stuff sack and the stakes come with a little one as well. I have the rainbow and remove the top pole when packing it. THis allows it to pack down to about half of the sack size. Also-- you should just seal it yourself. its easy.

kytrailman
02-28-2009, 19:08
Franco--sweet extension.

Franco
02-28-2009, 19:10
I am not in the habit of building an open fire inside my vestibules/porches, some have tried but few have succeeded.
Neither I use those flame throwers disguised as white gas stoves. The flame of my Kovea stove is about 3" wide, that leaves around 40" on either sides of the flame. A bit tight but I manage. Same with the Caldera Cone.
Pip does look rather porky in that picture, but as you know a camera puts several pounds on the subject...
This is Pip inspecting the Akto. Her comment "strange looking shelter"
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Akto-inspection.jpg

slow
02-28-2009, 19:45
Funny,still to date,the contrail has owners trying to make it better after so many re-vamp from the the owner of TT.:-?
Never seen that with SMD.:-?

Franco
02-28-2009, 20:00
Slow
That picture is from 06...
Henry has upgraded the Contrail twice since then. Yes you are correct, unlike the SMD shelters, Henry's are not perfect.
Franco

Rcarver
02-28-2009, 20:30
Perfect? Is there such a product. I have a SMD Lunar solo. Yes, it is a really good shelter. Yet, you have to be toward the front to keep from rubbing against the canopy.

slow
02-28-2009, 20:53
Slow
That picture is from 06...
Henry has upgraded the Contrail twice since then. Yes you are correct, unlike the SMD shelters, Henry's are not perfect.
Franco

Franco,it's not the pic at all.
What is broken you fix and what is not you leave alone ...that easy.:)

mtbmatty
03-01-2009, 11:44
i need to sell my hubba hubba (new it's in the selling used gear forum if anyone is interested $250.00 shipped) before i can do anything, but the rainbow appeals to me. ease of set up, can be freestanding, seems that it would be pretty roomy.

can 2 people sit up inside of it with design of the arch ?

Franco
03-01-2009, 17:56
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Rainbow%20mods/Rainbow-tarp.jpgYes but I would not say "comfortably" . When I go bush with a friend I always take two tents because I like my privacy and snore rather heavily. It it is a trip when we can expect a lot of free time or prolonged rain, then I take my tarp with me.
My mate Chris under the Rainbow.
Franco

FamilyGuy
03-01-2009, 20:42
Funny,still to date,the contrail has owners trying to make it better after so many re-vamp from the the owner of TT.:-?
Never seen that with SMD.:-?

Its because Six Moons is still trying to figure out how to fize the condensation issues on the Lunar Solo....takes time. By the way, you can currently purchase version 3 of that tent.