PDA

View Full Version : What's your recovery drink?

Highway Man
02-27-2009, 16:12
I want to have a better trail performance and quick recovery from the daily fatigue of long miliage. I have Vitamine E at home. I used to have it a lot when doing running. But it tends to cause me some skin problems if a little too much.
The other approach I feel confident about is using Ginseng. I'll be heading to NYC tomorrow to buy some roots. But then I have to maildrop it or bounce the box along the route. So what's your way of getting some stuff that have similar tonic effect?

boarstone
02-27-2009, 17:06
What's the question again?

leeki pole
02-27-2009, 17:25
Bombay gin goes quite well with tonic.

Highway Man
02-27-2009, 17:35
What's the question again?

Sorry I was not too clear. I'm trying to find out any liquid or solid supplements that are used by hikers to give a performance boost and fatigue recovery. I was thinking putting the ginseng roots in my water bottles and let the ingredient disolved in it. That's why I said "drink".

Highway Man
02-27-2009, 17:59
Moderator, sorry for the confusing title, please delete this thread.
Thanks.

Many Walks
02-27-2009, 18:28
Camelback makes "Elixir" tablets that dissolve in water and provide electrolytes. We put them in our water bladders. Gatorade powder is also popular. They may not be a natural substance you're looking for, but they are light, convenient, and worked for us to aid in hydration and recover from a hard day of hiking.

HikerRanky
02-27-2009, 19:20
Moderator, sorry for the confusing title, please delete this thread.
Thanks.

How about we just change the title to "What's your recovery drink?"

boarstone
02-27-2009, 19:37
Sorry I was not too clear. I'm trying to find out any liquid or solid supplements that are used by hikers to give a performance boost and fatigue recovery. I was thinking putting the ginseng roots in my water bottles and let the ingredient disolved in it. That's why I said "drink".

Oh!...now I got it...sorry, I don't have an answer that could be classified as anything but being a wise a$$. Been a long winter....:D

Phreak
02-27-2009, 19:57
Gatorade at 50% strength

gollwoods
02-27-2009, 20:00
chocolate milk is a perfect recovery drink. exact % protien+carbs after a workout so a cocoa and instant milk type drink might just be close enough plus it's real good

SGT Rock
02-27-2009, 20:00
Water.

SGT Rock
02-27-2009, 20:01
Sometimes with bourbon.

Erin
02-27-2009, 20:24
Propel powder works great during the day mixed with water when it is hot outside. I keep one bottle with a propel mix with water and one with water and switch it off. it is an effective electrolyte mix without overpowering flavor. Propel comes in tiny tube packets. I have to dilute gatorade or any electrolye drink. I find that wine works well in the evening. When it is cold, coffee with a shot of Bailey's.

Marta
02-27-2009, 21:24
Cytomax. I like the tropical fruit flavor.

take-a-knee
02-27-2009, 21:29
Twin Labs Ultra Fuel works for me. Most folks drink a lot of sugary stuff WAY before they need it. Climb 3000 vertical ft with 40# and you'll have earned pint of it. Ultra Fuel is supposedly absorbed more slowly than other glucose drinks, IE no sugar buzz. I think it works, but like I said, if you haven't depleted most or all of the glycogen in your large muscles all it is doing is raising your insulin level and making you fat.

Slo-go'en
02-27-2009, 21:35
The powered water mixers are definately a boom to hikers. I use the Propel a lot and it seems to help. Wal-Mart sells something called "Morning Spark" which is caffinated grapefruit juice with Vitamin C. Great for those of us who don't drink coffee. In the evening for dinner I'll use a lemon aid mix.

BTW, Yukon Jack mixes well with Tang.

Highway Man
02-27-2009, 21:45
Thank HikerRanky, for keeping it alive.

Desert Reprobate
02-27-2009, 21:52
Propel powder works great during the day mixed with water when it is hot outside. I keep one bottle with a propel mix with water and one with water and switch it off. it is an effective electrolyte mix without overpowering flavor. Propel comes in tiny tube packets. I have to dilute gatorade or any electrolye drink. I find that wine works well in the evening. When it is cold, coffee with a shot of Bailey's.
Bailey's is like NyQuil on the trail. Drink it in your sleeping bag or you wake up with a face full of dried pine needles.

maxNcathy
02-27-2009, 22:31
Common trail foods,water and enough sleep keep me energized.

ki0eh
02-27-2009, 22:38
chocolate milk is a perfect recovery drink. exact % protien+carbs after a workout so a cocoa and instant milk type drink might just be close enough plus it's real good

http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v29n1/milk.shtml

fiddlehead
02-27-2009, 22:44
A doctor once told me that putting salt and a little lemon or lime juice in water is a good (cheap) way of replacing electrolytes.

I usually only drink water but if i do a longer run or hike, i cramp up so will buy a gatorade-like drink. (they have copies here in Thailand at half the price)

Also, taking a magnesium tablet takes the cramps away after a particularly long run on a hangover day. (tried potassium but it didn't do it for me)

Compass
02-27-2009, 23:01
Water. In the heat of summer a liter of Gator aid type drink at half stength in the afternoon.

Highway Man
02-27-2009, 23:06
A doctor once told me that putting salt and a little lemon or lime juice in water is a good (cheap) way of replacing electrolytes.

I usually only drink water but if i do a longer run or hike, i cramp up so will buy a gatorade-like drink. (they have copies here in Thailand at half the price)

Also, taking a magnesium tablet takes the cramps away after a particularly long run on a hangover day. (tried potassium but it didn't do it for me)

For the replacement of massively lost electrolytes in a summer hiking, I always add cheap, but effective salt in the water. I just don't like the other sugary sticky mixtures.

emerald
02-27-2009, 23:49
There's no substitute for rehydrated sleep.;)

theinfamousj
02-27-2009, 23:58
Not really rapid, but Carnation instant breakfast (in delicious chocolate flavor) with dehydrated milk, reconstituted with water.

When the batteries are empty, this, plus and apple and about 30 minutes rest, returns me to full charge.

Sometimes I'm not lucky enough to have a hiking partner who has humped an apple. What? Me carry my own apple? :-?

Tinker
02-28-2009, 00:00
Beer. Lots of good carbs.

fiddlehead
02-28-2009, 00:33
There is something to be said for beer and it's carbs, because the Tarahumara runners from Mexico who came to the Leadville 100 mile race and won it for a few years, would drink beer at aid stations and used it as a fuel.

However, for me personally, beer really dehyrates me and THAT is the reason for a recovery drink IMO. To rehydrate yourself and replace the minerals you've sweated out.

Cuffs
02-28-2009, 00:44
Nuun, similar to Gatorade, but NO sugars! Guaranteed not to gunk up your hydration bladder either.

warraghiyagey
02-28-2009, 01:03
Warm Meade and Cider

prain4u
02-28-2009, 01:19
Water. In the heat of summer a liter of Gator aid type drink at half strength in the afternoon.

Good plan. Researchers are now starting to suspect that drinking large quantities of (undiluted) sports drinks contributes to the formation of kidney stones. Sports drinks are heavy in calcium, sodium and other minerals. The human body needs to have water to help flush those items from the body--otherwise kidney stones are likely to develop.

If someone doesn't want to dilute their sports drink (and I am one of those people), they should at least drink ample amounts of water at approximately the same general time that they are drinking the sports drink.

volleypc
02-28-2009, 01:55
This is a great question. It may not be as widely used in hiking, but recovery drinks are used religously by cyclist and long distance runners. It is amazing the difference I can feel the day after a long run depending on whether I use a recovery drink or not. My favorite, as a previous poster stated, is choc milk. It really is a great habit to get into.

fiddlehead
02-28-2009, 02:06
Chocolate milk is a new idea as a recovery drink to me.
I understand that chocolate has caffiene and perhaps that would make you feel good and have more energy, at least in the short term.
But what about all that sugar? Is that good as a recovery thing?

Surplusman
02-28-2009, 06:38
I worked on a grounds crew for a number of years in the summer. My drink of choice was old-fashioned switchel...what the farmers used to drink when working in the hot fields in the summer to keep going and not get cramps. In a quart of water dissolve 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar, one teaspoon of molasses, and a pinch of ginger. This is a basically a 200-year old recipe but it works and it's cheap. It's an acquired taste, though. Don't expect it to taste like modern sweet stuff. But once you get used to it, it's not bad.

Manwich
02-28-2009, 10:41
RedBull blended with MetRX Protein Bars.geeeeekeeek.

jnflas91
02-28-2009, 10:46
Look into runing and triathlon drinks like HEED (hammer Nutrition)

theinfamousj
02-28-2009, 12:25
Nuun, similar to Gatorade, but NO sugars! Guaranteed not to gunk up your hydration bladder either.

Triberry = :D. Lemon/Lime = http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/sick.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org).

Transient Being
02-28-2009, 12:41
Ahh Chocolate Milk. Nothing like rBGH to get you goin'.

I drink it too, but do they really have to put all that stuff in there?

Gator 65
02-28-2009, 15:05
What about that 5 Hour Energy drink? Is it safe and will it work for an extended period such as a thru hike?

prain4u
02-28-2009, 15:20
What about that 5 Hour Energy drink? Is it safe and will it work for an extended period such as a thru hike?

Just "google" topics like "energy drink safety" or "energy drink healthy" and you will find many articles that claim energy drinks are NOT[/*] safe--especially before or after exercise (or when consumed in "large" quantities).

The same chemicals that "boost" your energy also boost your heart rate and blood pressure in ways that can be unhealthy. The high sugar content also messes with your blood sugar and insulin levels.

garlic08
02-28-2009, 17:19
Add one more vote for water and good diet and good rest.

volleypc
02-28-2009, 17:24
Chocolate milk is a new idea as a recovery drink to me.
I understand that chocolate has caffiene and perhaps that would make you feel good and have more energy, at least in the short term.
But what about all that sugar? Is that good as a recovery thing?

I usually get the lowfat choc milk, I guess I should have added that. The protein also helps damaged tissue from your exercise. here is a short article I saw recently http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370

Dogwood
02-28-2009, 17:35

Emergen C w/ MSM, clean spring water, restful sleep, and a nutritious camp meal at dinner time is great recovery for me. The MSM promotes muscle recovery, the Alpha Lipoic Acid and other vitamins in Emerge C w/ MSM are a great boost to my immune system and energy and antioxidant levels, clean water(no parasites, chlorine, fluoride, pharmaceutical drugs, etc.) keep my muscles, joints, and organs well "oiled" and functioning better, abundant complex carbs, good fats, and a healthy dose of protein at dinner(and throughout the day), and a full night's rest and I'm good to go!

Ender
02-28-2009, 18:26
For hiking in order of preference: Water, gatoraid, emergenC.

For camp in order of preference: Whiskey/scotch/bourbon, water, gatoraid.

Megabite
02-28-2009, 18:32
Watered down Gatorade - doesn't taste amazing, but it does the trick - about 50/50.

Blissful
02-28-2009, 23:42
Best recovery for your muscles is to consume decent food and overall nutrition - like good protein, etc and not just subsist on the usual hiker fair for dinners of carbs in Lipton, ramen and stuffing.

Highway Man
03-01-2009, 13:36
Thank all you guys' good advises. In general I agree with what most of you said here except for some green labels:). Significant amount and diversities of food intakes are the keys to stay strong and healthy. While the assort of supplements can also help make the trip better, especially considering my lack of super long distance experience and age.
I came back from the city with more than half pound of sliced roots. I soaked the roots in cold water for a while and then drank. I started to feel more body heat is generated. I am sure at least I'll get rid of body fatigue much quicker from a very bad flu a month ago. The next question for me is how to figure out to get these resupplied along the route, mail drops or bouncing boxes.

George
03-01-2009, 14:00
I have used a sport drink gookinade less sweet and lighter than gatoraide for powder per quart

dmax
03-01-2009, 14:02
I soak my roots in tequilla for a year. One root per small bottle of tequilla. The alcohol will pull the ginseng out of the root. If you just soak them in cold water, save the root and take a little bite of it. There is a way to make tea which is alot faster than my method.
I just went on a two night hike and got home a little while ago. I had one shot of my tequilla and the last shot, I saved from my trip, of Apple Pie moonshine. I'm starting to feel better already.

juma
03-01-2009, 18:38
In colder weather, I like a pack of strawberry or cherry jello in 2 cups hot water. makes a great lunch with a dark chocolate candy bar included.

juma

Tennessee Viking
03-01-2009, 19:24
EmergenC + Kroger Brand Supplement Powder packet + Powerade

Mags
03-01-2009, 22:51
Another vote for beer... :)

I can also verify Rock's drink choice (with the additive he mentioned) works quite well, too.

Highway Man
03-01-2009, 22:54
I soak my roots in tequilla for a year. One root per small bottle of tequilla. The alcohol will pull the ginseng out of the root. If you just soak them in cold water, save the root and take a little bite of it. There is a way to make tea which is alot faster than my method.
I just went on a two night hike and got home a little while ago. I had one shot of my tequilla and the last shot, I saved from my trip, of Apple Pie moonshine. I'm starting to feel better already.

Dmax has a better approach. I don't drink alcohol much and try to mimic trail condition. The roots may need to be slices in the bottle if there's no refill in order to get more out of them. In a word, warmer media and more contact surfaces from the roots gives better result.
People, read this, be aware that there are two types of sengs. Ginseng is called American Ginseng, Wisconsin Ginseng, or White Seng. It is usually good for adult people of all ages. The other one is red seng, or Siberian Seng. No matter whether wild or farmed, it is only good to the elderly folks, say, sixty, seventy. Always, to start to use ginseng at small dose, then to increase as needed.

Bidwell
03-01-2009, 23:24
Chocolate milk or those Nestle's Milshake things that you can get at a grocery store/gas station are good choices. Boost/Ensure is also great... but they are expensive.

I also mix milk with chocolate-flavored endurox. If I have a berry-flavored endorux I'll mix it with either Gatorade or OJ.

And to Tinker's point, beer is actually a good recovery drink. Eating a meal after you finish a long day on the trail is generally good for recovery, and what better way to do that with liquid bread. Maybe it isn't the best, but it is most certainly better than nothing.

All this being said, this is what has worked for me... I am not a nutritionist by any means.

Edit: and I know it isn't a drink, but if you can stand it, jump in a cool stream or an ice bath after your activities. That certainly helps recovery IMO.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 19:16
I heartily agree with Sgt. Rock that the best thing you can drink out there is cold fresh water.

That being said, this might prove a worthy addition at the end of a long day:

www.knobcreek.com

Apply as necessary.

JAK
03-02-2009, 19:22
Everything in moderation, but in moderation of course.

McKeever
03-02-2009, 19:32
Emergen=C because it replaces electrolytes in good proportions without glucose.
It's a great product and can really get rid of a leg cramp fast. Order by the case from their web site emergenc.com

I agree, there's no substitute for drinking lot's of hydro. Hikers are water powered animals!

Highway Man
03-02-2009, 21:31
I just found an article about the use of ginseng for all kinds of purposes.
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/ginseng.htm
The folks over there seem to have much in depth understanding of how ginseng affects human bodies.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-02-2009, 21:41
check out the products by Hammer Nutrition -they have some good stuff

McKeever
03-02-2009, 21:59
Ginsw opens the blood vessels so it would have make you feel better.

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2009, 22:07
chocolate milk every chance i get!

fiddlehead
03-03-2009, 02:38
I heartily agree with Sgt. Rock that the best thing you can drink out there is cold fresh water.

I used to think so too. But found out from that the water alone just didn't help the cramps i would get in my legs and feet at night. I went to the running world for help and was told, "you need to replace some minerals that you sweated out."

Water alone won't stop the cramps that i got from not replacing them.

I tried a few different things including gatorade, powerade, emergenC, bananas, etc.

I found that a tablet of magnesium does it for me.
Others swear by potassium or just salt tabs.

If it's hot, and you did some big climbs or had a sweaty day, and tend to cramp up at night, that's when you might need help replacing minerals.

I believe that's what the OP was asking.

JAK
03-03-2009, 09:23
It depends on the food you are eating too. Most foods have sodium and potassium and stuff already in them. Its a good idea to see what mix of vitamins and minerals are already in you hiking food before you decide what you need for supplements, if anything. Skim milk with tea is an excellent recovery drink, with honey if needed for energy recovery. It is good to be able to vary the sugar, salts, and perhaps vitamin C, independantly. It is also good to drink a litre of straight water now and then.

Soup is an excellent recovery drink/meal at night, depending on how you make it.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-03-2009, 09:30
I was thinking about this exact thing, since I use supplements for the gym. My recovery drink for the gym is just Glutamine powder that I've gotten from GNC. Glutamine is an important (and natural) amino acid within your body that helps in muscle recovery and various immune functions. When you perform strenuous physical activity, these natural stores of glutamine can become easily depleted by your muscles, which means that other areas will not get the Glutamine they need or that your muscles themselves may not be getting as much as they need depending on the level of your activity. It's relatively cheap to buy and when mixed in water, the powder has very little taste (reminds me of the "chalk" stick from Fun Dip).

Also another supplement I use for the gym is a Nitric Oxide/Creatine mix called NO-Xplode (also available at GNC). This stuff has some mixed reviews, it doesn't work for everyone... But if it does work for you it will be an absolute godsend. I mix 2 scoops in water and drink before going to the gym and do an hour of intense cardio where I completely zone out and feel like some sort of cyborg soldier marching off to war. Afterwards I'll go straight to a full body weightlifting routine and by the time I'm done my muscles are still begging me for more abuse, lol. Also, from a guy whose motto is, "I only run when I'm being chased," believe me when I say that I HATE exercise and without this stuff I would have quit a week after joining the gym.

JAK
03-03-2009, 10:28
Really good source for details on food contents...
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

USDA recommendation for normal diet...
Sodium < 2300 mg ( ~ 1 teaspoon) this is usually exceeded with processed foods
Pottassium 4500 mg ( ~ 2 teaspoon) this is easily obtained from natural foods

Sodium(Na)/Potassium(K) in various foods and sports drinks:

Powerade: 1000g~1litre = 320 kcal + 220 mg Na + 180 mg K ( no vitamin C)
Gatorade: 1000g~1litre = 260 kcal + 390 mg Na + 150 mg K ( + 4 mg Vitamin C)
Thirst Quencher: 1000g = 110 kcal + 350 mg Na + 100 mg K ( + 63 mg Vitamin C)

Which is best? It might depend on what you are already getting from your hiking food...

Skim Milk: 1000g = 340 kcal + 420 mg Na + 1560 mg K

Plain Oats: 100g = 389 kcal + 2 mg Na + 429 mg K

Raisins: 100g = 299 kcal + 11 mg Na + 749 mg K
Currants: 100g = 283 kcal + 8 mg Na + 892 mg K

Peanuts, unsalted: 100g = 585 kcal + 6mg Na + 658 mg K
Peanuts, salted: 100g = 585 kcal + 813mg Na + 658 mg K
Lentils, 100g = 353 kcal + 6mg Na + 955 mg K.

So it seems like we need to add sodium salt to our diets, unless it is there already in salted foods. If we sweat alot, and drink alot, we might need some extra sodium, and perhaps some extra potassium also, but we might already be getting it from our food.

JAK
03-03-2009, 10:33
Beef jerky: 100g = 410kcal + 2213mg Na + 597 mg K

Now that's alot of sodium.
If you are taking beef jerky while hiking you probably only need to drink water.

JAK
03-03-2009, 11:31
I understand certain plants like Labrador tea is a traditional source of sodium, but most inland plants are high in potassium, and very low in sodium because it interferes with their fluid transport. Some plants must be an exception though. Humans have been trading salt from the sea of from salt mines like in Salzburg Germany for tens or hundreds of thousands of years. Makes you wonder though, where animals get their salt. I would guess that they get it from certain plants that we don't eat, like tough grasses, and a few that we do eat, like Labrador Tea. Deer do go looking for salt of course, but have a tough time of it in the winter, unless salt licks are put out for them. I suppose blood would be a traditional source of salt for hunters.

In general, most people exceed their daily recommended sodium limit by about 100%.

Sea water is on average 3.5% salts, of which 1% sodium, so our total normal requirement is the equivalent of about 0.1 litres of sea water. Blood is 0.9% sodium choride, of about 0.35% sodium, so we normally require the equivalent of about 0.3 litres of blood. Something to keep in mind if you even have the opportunity or need to drink blood or mix sea water with fresh water I guess. I understand sea water can be mixed with fresh water in about 2 parts to 3 parts, in survival situations, but for you daily needs if sea water is your only source of sodium then 1 part in 25 makes more sense.

Petr
03-05-2009, 22:25
Ok, so I've had a few tonight (I'm celebrating), but here are my thoughts:

In normal situations, the majority of Americans have excessive amounts of sodium in the diet. For the overwhelming rest of Americans, they have an adequate sodium intake. Mostly, the same is true for potassium. The truth is, even for people on a thru-hiker diet, is that the kidney is an amazing organ which regulates electrolyte balance in the blood over an impressively wide range of diet/intake. People advising a well-balanced, traditional diet with robust water consumption are the most correct in terms of maintaining health. Basically, what I'm saying is eat what you crave and drink more water than you're used to and you'll be fine.

Also, if you feel like drinking ginseng tea or (most) other herbal "medications" helps you, then look up potential drug interactions/side effects via google, and go right ahead. It's my personal opinion that you're probably paying money for a placebo effect, but for most herbal substances the research to prove they work/don't work doesn't exist. Furthermore, if you perceive it to work for you, who cares (as long as it's not meaningfully dangerous) if it's scientifically "true" or not...if it makes you FEEL better, than it doesn't really matter if you are or aren't better. I err on the side of scientific evidence, but I won't criticize those who err on the side of subjective experience.

dmax
03-06-2009, 00:13
My ginseng is free and there is no placebo effect. Just the real thing.

Highway Man
03-06-2009, 00:40
My ginseng is free and there is no placebo effect. Just the real thing.

Well, good ginseng certainly is not free. Yours may not be real:rolleyes:.
The prices in the store range from $40 per pound to over a hundred dollars per pound. I beat the young kids in the office wearing only a T-shirt today. Hot water is the better way to get things out of the roots. 6~7 slices of one eighth an inch thick each seems to suffice for a day.

McKeever
03-06-2009, 01:31
It's harvested locally, legally (or it's supposed to be). Quite a few ginseng hunters make their living in the Appalachian mountains.

dmax
03-06-2009, 09:05
You're right. my ginseng is not free. I have to purchase a licence to hunt for it during the picking season. I do gather enough for myself and for a few friends. The biggest root I found last year was 14". I haven't sold any the last three years so I have a pretty good stock pile. I don't have as much as my friends though. Some of them have a few, 5 gallon buckets full of ginseng. Just make sure if you hunt it to have a licence. The poaching fine is very high. Possible jail time involved too.

Billygoatbritt
03-06-2009, 09:43
lots of water, a good hot meal, and a little gatorade

Highway Man
03-07-2009, 23:12
You're right. my ginseng is not free. I have to purchase a licence to hunt for it during the picking season. I do gather enough for myself and for a few friends. The biggest root I found last year was 14". I haven't sold any the last three years so I have a pretty good stock pile. I don't have as much as my friends though. Some of them have a few, 5 gallon buckets full of ginseng. Just make sure if you hunt it to have a licence. The poaching fine is very high. Possible jail time involved too.

That's cool. I never realized ginseng grows in the wild in the south. The ginseng is usually graded by the number of years of growth. Arguably the wild ones are the better. Get a piece of land and farm it. People will be getting to believe the benefit of it. I'm actually now making chicken broth with sliced ginseng in it.

rickb
03-07-2009, 23:32
Met the late Del Doc (a retired physician, thru hiker and friend of the AT) in Aquaosuc, ME shortly after I got married. He was in great shape and moving about the town at light speed.

When he came back to the B&B, Del Doc extolled the benefits of beer after a long day on the Trail to my wife and I.

My wife was a virtual non drinker, but considering the source she took special note.

I am grateful for that conversation!

Wags
03-08-2009, 00:26
same as when i get home from the gym. a quart of skim milk

JAK
03-08-2009, 11:09
That was my recovery drink for many years also. Skim milk, sometimes with a banana.
I would even drink skin milk while sailing, or paddling, or hiking. Then got into skim milk with strong tea in it, and gradually more into tea with less milk. My appetite for milk used to be huge, but might pickup again as I lose weight and get more active again.

Wags
03-09-2009, 22:23
it's been working for farmers for hundreds of years :D

jb-
03-15-2009, 16:16
Chocolate milk is my favorite recovery drink, but I only use it after running. For backpacking, pack the right foods and carry some electrolyte additives for your water and you should be fine.

omegaman13
03-16-2009, 00:37
There is a powdered drink out there called Accelerade. It has a 4:1 carb/protein ratio which is perfect for recovery. I add powdered unflavored glutamine to mine.

drastic_quench
03-16-2009, 01:10
Water and a handful of salty nuts (HEY, NOW!) or chips are all you ever need. You can't beat water, and a little bit of a salty snack helps out on a day when you've perspired a lot. You don't need to eat an entire bag of chips or anything because there's sodium in so many trail foods.

Sports drinks are for the birds and for wasting money in my opinion. Caffeine has it's place as an eye-opener, but it's only going to work for the short term. Workers in rural South America still keep a cud of coca leaves in there mouth to keep them going strong all day - but that can't be good for you either - legalities aside.

fiddlehead
04-30-2009, 02:32
Hey, just discovered a recovery drink that seems to work wonders.
Coconut Water
Google it.

I did and found it even has been used as a substitute for blood in transfusions when supply was low or non-existent.

So, today i woke up with a slight hangover, did my usual jog of 4-5 miles and afterwards, found a shop selling them ice cold for about $.90 right near where i jog.
So, i tried one. Didn't like the taste too much but must say, i got home and felt great. No cramps, pee'd clear, headache gone.

I see there's also some new drink that is just coconut water. Probably way overpriced.
I've seen the green coconut's in American supermarkets but only big ones.
If you have them available, it is definitely worth a try for you runners.

sarbar
04-30-2009, 10:41
That was my recovery drink for many years also. Skim milk, sometimes with a banana.

Calcium and potassium mega hit - which is why one feels so good. As well, a major hit of protein. It is a pretty common sense post-workout meal overall.

I eat bananas, very lightly salted kettle chips, green veggies - that kind of thing. Potassium helps regulate your blood pressure, and for those on certain meds for BP you can strip your body of potassium if not careful (so read those packets if you take meds!!!!!) A couple years ago I had severely low potassium develop - I could barely function and ended up on prescription potassium. Since then I am very careful with maintaining a balanced diet.

Mostly a balanced diet is the best way to handle hiking/working out. Keep the sodium in check - your kidneys give what you need to survive - consume too much over the years and you tax those poor organs. But do listen to your body - if you crave something you probably do need it (OK- that doesn't count for fried chicken and chocolate cake....)

As for drinks, I use Zip Fizz powder. It doesn't have any dyes added so I can use it (unlike say Gator Aid that is full of red, orange, blue dyes). It is low sodium, high in potassium with minerals. It also has 120 mg of caffiene....which is one reason I will drink it at the gym. I only have one a day if needed - on trail it does give me enough caffiene to battle off the latte withdrawl headache....

And I will admit I do drink protein drinks now. I am training so hard that I am starving after working out. I never thought I would drink stuff like that....oh well, it does seem to work for me. I mix EAS whey protein with soy milk and frozen berries and make a frappe. Hello protein :p

Chaco Taco
04-30-2009, 12:14
Daily multi-vitamin
Sleep
Emergen C in the am and with dinner
Ginseng root is great for energy during the day.
Lots of water.

bluffhead
07-09-2009, 06:26
glutimine or bcaa's

Plodderman
07-09-2009, 09:54
I use water and some of the crystal lite packages. I mostly enjoy the ones with caffeine and the B vitamins. But when I am hiking long water seems to work best for me.

mudhead
07-09-2009, 14:14
I worked on a grounds crew for a number of years in the summer. My drink of choice was old-fashioned switchel...what the farmers used to drink when working in the hot fields in the summer to keep going and not get cramps. In a quart of water dissolve 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar, one teaspoon of molasses, and a pinch of ginger. This is a basically a 200-year old recipe but it works and it's cheap. It's an acquired taste, though. Don't expect it to taste like modern sweet stuff. But once you get used to it, it's not bad.

Homemade Moxie.

Tomato juice and canned pineapple. Not mixed.

Good luck finding that in the twillies.:D

CowHead
07-09-2009, 14:54
ice cold bud works on my recovery every time 1 step: pop top, 2 step; sip who needs the other 10

RAT
07-09-2009, 15:43
Cold milk first then beer later.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 16:18
recovery drink? recovery from what?

mrc237
07-09-2009, 18:18
Last nights drinkin?

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 20:14
Last nights drinkin?

that makes sense cuz there ain't nothin too tough about walking 15 miles or so in 8 hours

mrc237
07-09-2009, 21:32
hangin in Dot's for 8 hrs - now thats hard work!

RAT
07-09-2009, 23:49
I will be jammin' as special guest with The Jone's Boys Band at Kemosabe's Roadhouse, in Boones Creek on Friday July 10th,2009 so I am sure I will need a recovery drink after that, but pretty sure it wont be milk, lol. Come on out and join us !

HAIRNT !

bluffhead
07-10-2009, 05:46
pedialite its like majic

Alli
07-10-2009, 11:18
that makes sense cuz there ain't nothin too tough about walking 15 miles or so in 8 hours

Never thought I'd agree with you, but I agree. As long as you're eating enough calories throughout your hike, there's no need for a "recovery" drink.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2009, 11:20
Never thought I'd agree with you, but I agree. As long as you're eating enough calories throughout your hike, there's no need for a "recovery" drink.

i've run a few 50 mile ultras and the only "recovery" drink i had was beer

David@whiteblaze
07-20-2009, 16:08
There are 96 posts here, around 10 of them mention "chocolate Milk". Ive noticed that powdered milk and regular milk are kindof heavy for a thru-hike so, you should STOP WASTING COCOA PACKETS! and stard drinking hot chocolate, between 2-4 12 oz servings a day would work for me.