PDA

View Full Version : Trangia 27

hootyhoo
02-27-2009, 18:31
Someone had to try this stove. And I am glad it was me. I have used all kinds of stoves, made my own, and used a mini Trangia for the past 12 months. I took the 27-3 ul out this week for 4 days. I had a pretty good menu designed to test this stove. Chirizo and eggs, boca burgers, rice, pancakes, eggs over easy... I took enough fuel based on my experience with the mini trangia - I brought back a lot of fuel - this one is very efficient. The windshield would have paid for its weight in fuel savings. I am impressed. Although heavy for most alcohol users it is still lighter than white gas - at 25 ounces for the stove, a pot grabber, two aluminum sauce pans, and a non stick frypan/lid it was well worth the weight when cooking for two. Of all the nice craftsmanship put into this stove I would have to say that my favorite part was stability. The sauce pan or frypan is held in place and the stove base is big enough that I could- one handed- stir eggs, chop sausage with spatula, whatever -- and not worry about spilling my food. Yeah I know its a little heavy for todays standards and a little slower than white gas - but man it was nice. So if you want to do more than heat water and maybe do a little simmering you might want to give this one a look. I am glad I did. 68 shipped from Campsaver - not a bad price for a complete set.

Dances with Mice
02-27-2009, 18:53
I have one but it's in the utility closet in case of emergencies. My hiking stove (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5831&catid=searchresults&searchid=22010)was built kinda sort on that design though.

Tinker
02-27-2009, 18:58
I met a few hikers (mostly European) on the AT in the 1980s using this stove. "What a weird looking contraption" was my first thought. It works very well but is bulky and heavy if a long hike is in order. The mini trangia set is pretty nice, though. I have one and it's a great first alcohol stove.

hootyhoo
03-02-2009, 08:49
I noticed when I examined the new burner, that there was a white sustance visible through the burner ports. The new burner seemed to sputter more and take longer to heat up than my well used older burner. In a side by side test the new burner took longer to heat up and the flames were more yellow. In a water boiling time the new burner took longer due to warm up time. When allowed to warm up first, then record time to boil the stoves brought water to boiling at a similar rate.
I emailed Trangia
--
I have enjoyed using the Mini Trangia for the past year.
I recently purchased a 27-3 ul as an upgrade. Upon inspecting my new stove I noticed that the burner appeared different that my older one.
Looking at the burner ports I noticed a white substance blocking some of the ports on the inside. My other burner does not have this – that I can tell. I lightly pressed on the white substance with an open paper clip – it moved, then moved back into position. It is only visible on half the ports. I tested the new burner side by side with my older one and then on a four day outing last week and noticed that it sputtered and took a long time to heat up to operating temperture. The flames remained more yellow than blue when compared to my other burner. The boiling times of the new burner were similar to that of the older burner when used in the 27 windshield – under field conditions.
Should that white thing be inside and visible through the burner ports? Is it a wick?
Will this burner operate like my older one does over time – perhaps a ‘break-in’ period? Less time to vaporize fuel, bluer flames.
The Reply
---
Thank you for your email!
Its exactly as you say a wick ,and if you give it a break in period it will get better and better. The flames is bluer also in time.
Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

I learned something. I did not know it had a wick. I remember an old post I read a couple of years ago asking if there was a wick in the trangia burners - and I thought someone replied that there was not.
So, if you get a trangia burner that is brand new you may need to use it for a while to allow for break in. Testing boiling times on a brand new one might not be accurate months later after it has 'broken in'.

oops56
03-02-2009, 09:16
On more thing don't leave the cover of it for long times the wick well get moister in it then it burn yellow