PDA

View Full Version : state highpoints

wikea1
02-27-2009, 20:34
So i am currently trying to do the 50 state high points, and I was just wondering if anyone knew how many if any state highpoints are on or near the appalachian trail. It would be good to tackle them during my thru hike!

buff_jeff
02-27-2009, 20:35
Katahdin in Maine and Mt. Washington in NH are the only two I can think of...

buff_jeff
02-27-2009, 20:36
Oh, and High Point State Park in NJ. don't know what mountain that is, though.

Blissful
02-27-2009, 20:38
You are near Mt Rogers in VA but the AT doesn't summit it.

gghiker
02-27-2009, 20:43
Foothills trail in SC for Sassafras, Mountains-to-Sea trail in NC for Mitchell. That's 2 that don't, but its still worth the hike. (Helping by elimination ;))

A-Train
02-27-2009, 20:46
Don't forget Greylock (MA), Clingman's Dome (TN), and Mt Frissell (CT) is about a mile or two from Bear Mtn and the AT.

I believe the Solemates were trying to bag all 50 if I remember correctly?

4eyedbuzzard
02-27-2009, 20:53
On AT or summit real close via side trail: Katahdin(ME), Mt. Washington(NH), Mt. Greylock(MA), Bear Mountain(CT)*, High Point(NJ), Mt. Rogers(VA), Clingman's Dome(TN)

*Highest prominent peak in CT, but the highest elevation is nearby on Mt Frissell, the summit of which is in MA>

ki0eh
02-27-2009, 21:48
Now how about the county high points on the A.T.? Anybody figured that out??

emerald
02-27-2009, 21:52
Can't you just do a query and post the results?

emerald
02-27-2009, 21:56
Someone may know without looking it up how far Mt. Mansfield is north of The Maine Junction. It's one of the easier high points to pick up for someone who has a car.

If I remember correctly, the chin is 3.3 miles south of Smuggler's Notch via The Long Trail. Try to summit it on a day when there will be a good sunset and spend the night at Taft Lodge.

emerald
02-27-2009, 22:08
There's a book on this subject written by someone who visited all 50. I once owned a copy and may have it still, but I don't believe I've seen it in years. Perhaps someone else has seen it or has a copy and can post its title or a link to information about it.

Sometimes I remember odd fragments of information such as the first name of this book's author which was Frank.

emerald
02-27-2009, 22:21
http://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=12004

Ox97GaMe
02-28-2009, 02:26
If you are working on the high points, then I am assuming you have sent for the 'official' route guide for the high points club. Some peaks have multiple ways of getting to the summit, including by car. To be eligible to join the official club, you need to hike one of the suggested routes to the summit. The book also has a reference page that allows you to log the dates that you have summitted each peak.

Other state peaks that are either hiking distance, or a short drive from the trail include each of the following states.
Georgia
North Carolina
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
Maryland
New York
Connecticut
Vermont

All other states that the AT goes through has the high point on the AT, or a short blue blaze trail off the AT.

Good luck with your goal. Im currently at 28. I probably wont be doing Alaska or Washington due to the technical nature of those climbs, but the rest seem to be managable. Let me know if you need any information about any of the peaks.

Ox97GaMe
02-28-2009, 02:31
I guess you could also add the following states if you were looking at close being within a 3 hr drive away from the trail.

Alabama
South Carolina
Kentucky

Also not that PA, WV, and MD high points are all in the same general area. Some people try to summit all 3 of these in a single day.

wikea1
02-28-2009, 15:08
cool thanks guys! ox97-I did Rainier last summer and I had no technical experience and i was 19 and it was a blast! you gotta do it!

Ox97GaMe
02-28-2009, 15:31
Wikea,
I did the Wonderland trail a few years ago. I was told that Rainier was one of the summits that actually counts toward certification for an Everest attempt. Which route did you take? I have heard that it requires ice axe, cleats, and has some ladder crossings over cravaces in the glacier field. Was that not the case?

wikea1
02-28-2009, 16:13
I did the dissapointment cleaver route. We used ice axes, crampons and rope teams but no crevasse ladders. on my route we passed a lot of really close crevasses but never had to cross one.

modiyooch
02-28-2009, 20:24
You are near Mt Rogers in VA but the AT doesn't summit it.I summitted Mt Rogers from the AT.

ki0eh
03-01-2009, 15:34
Now how about the county high points on the A.T.? Anybody figured that out??

Well, since I was invited to answer my own question I started with PA. Looking at http://www.cohp.org/pa/pennsylvania.xml it appears the A.T. reaches or nearly so the high points of Berks, Lehigh, and Northampton counties, and Lebanon is a near miss.

The GET in PA hits high points or contenders in Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, and Mifflin, and would call Union a near miss.

In the reports linked from the page cited above, it's interesting to see the different mindset of highpoint hunters vs. most hikers. :)

emerald
03-01-2009, 15:53
Many people wrongly believe The Pinnacle is Berk's County's highest point. The actual high point is near the A.T. between Schubert's Gap and PA 183 N of Sunoco's pipeline. BMECC hiked there not long ago.

I have long had in mind what I thought would be a superior A.T. route which would include it or this route could be a blue-blazed alternate. I might get more out of scouting it, securing permission and building it than sitting at my monitor.

The Solemates
03-02-2009, 11:37
Don't forget Greylock (MA), Clingman's Dome (TN), and Mt Frissell (CT) is about a mile or two from Bear Mtn and the AT.

I believe the Solemates were trying to bag all 50 if I remember correctly?

yep, we've done 41 so far....