PDA

View Full Version : Whooo Is going Hik'in tommorrow?

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2009, 21:55
OK the weather's clearing

What are your plans and what do you want to accomplish?

Hikerhead
02-27-2009, 22:00
Me and J5MAN are doing an overniter from Sinking Creek to Trout Creek starting tomorrow AM. I hope not to fall and bust my arse on those slanted rocks up on Sinking Creek Mtn, it looks like it might be wet.

Slo-go'en
02-27-2009, 22:01
I'm taking a friend on her first winter hike to Carter Notch Hut Sunday. Hope to accomplish getting her there and back alive and enjoyable enough she will want to do it again.

I'm also hoping this rain and 50 degree temps (sprinter weather as my letter carrier calls it) today didn't ruin the trail or make it too icy.

buff_jeff
02-27-2009, 22:14
I wish. There aren't any trailheads close enough to ****sburgh for me to reach...and I have a ton of class work anyway.

Tin Man
02-27-2009, 22:18
Thinking of hitting the AT in CT for a few miles

Marta
02-27-2009, 22:34
I've just cancelled my hiking plans. I was supposed to take a small group on a short backpacking trip. The weather is supposed to be pretty awful, so I called off the hike. Not my usual style, but I don't have any taste for getting soaked for no particular reason.

minnesotasmith
02-27-2009, 22:49
OK the weather's clearing

What are your plans and what do you want to accomplish?

Starting a second AT thruhike in 2 days, having finished thruhiking the Pinhoti Trail. :sun

gghiker
02-27-2009, 23:07
I've just cancelled my hiking plans. I was supposed to take a small group on a short backpacking trip. The weather is supposed to be pretty awful, so I called off the hike. Not my usual style, but I don't have any taste for getting soaked for no particular reason.
Same here. I was looking forward to Buffalo Mountain Nature Preserve in southern VA, late Saturday, and maybe half a day at Grayson Highlands Sunday (drive back to SC Sunday late) Maybe in the next few weeks :(

Tinker
02-28-2009, 00:14
I just got back! :D

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT I'VE BEEN CALLED BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!![/*]
Now I have to wait for weekends like everyone else. :(

rjohns94
02-28-2009, 00:18
I will be on the AT south of route 30 in Pa, heading to Harpers Ferry, traveling lite, and starting out in rain, then maybe snow on Sunday.

Patrickjd9
02-28-2009, 00:23
Doing some trail work on the AT in Maryland.

MintakaCat
02-28-2009, 06:59
I had to cancell my hiking plans too, due to weather. Here in Georgia there's a huge storm over the area, but we sure need it. We got 1.63 inches of rain yesterday and I bet we get about the same today.

All of us pushed our plans to the following weekend, hope the weather is clear then.

ki0eh
02-28-2009, 07:34
Doing a mud season check of the flagline for a relocated section of GET that we're going to work on in April. But before I get there I need to stop and buy a new toilet. :O

Mrs Baggins
02-28-2009, 07:46
For Virginia and Maryland as of today (Saturday Feb 28) there is a winter storm watch, with the possibility of 5 or more inches of snow, from Sunday afternoon into Monday morning. This probably covers more states but I live in VA and our son lives in MD so I only looked at those two. I have a big dinner party planned tomorrow for our daughter's recent engagement and now guests from Maryland may not make it :(. I'm hoping this is one of those storms that never happens.

Cabin Fever
02-28-2009, 08:26
Doing Sam's Gap to Devil Fork Gap (8.5 miles) with members of TEHCC and SMHC. Looking like the rain is going to break around noon (I have no qualifications to make that statement other than my best guess of the radar).

Tin Man
02-28-2009, 09:26
Doing Sam's Gap to Devil Fork Gap (8.5 miles) with members of TEHCC and SMHC. Looking like the rain is going to break around noon (I have no qualifications to make that statement other than my best guess of the radar).

you're qualified... meteorologists use tarot cards, not as accurate as radar

WritinginCT
02-28-2009, 11:49
Been debating myself- might take the dogs up to Otis, MA for the day tomorrow. Too much to do errand wise today.

Tin Man
02-28-2009, 11:51
Been debating myself- might take the dogs up to Otis, MA for the day tomorrow. Too much to do errand wise today.

too dang cold today, snow coming tomorrow

WritinginCT
02-28-2009, 13:31
We love hiking in the snow! :) Seriously. The boxers groove on it.

But I would stick closer to home to hike during snow. Guess we'll see what surprises the weather holds for us tomorrow.

boarstone
02-28-2009, 19:27
Hanging in my hammock, on the porch, watching the water drip off the roof from the 2' of snow on it, testing out quilt and bag for real outdoor use in the woods after all this white stuff goes away...

Phreak
02-28-2009, 21:39
Hiking the Coosa Trail tomorrow with my dog Suzi. Hope we get the snow they are predicting for the area.

Egads
02-28-2009, 21:47
Hiking the Coosa Trail with my friend's dog Suzi

Marta
02-28-2009, 21:48
I ended up going out for a shortish dayhike today. I got sufficiently wet. When I got to the top, the view was lovely and misty.

Hooch
03-10-2009, 18:13
Starting a second AT thruhike in 2 days, having finished thruhiking the Pinhoti Trail. :sunAnd bitching about it the whole time. Whiny pants.