PDA

View Full Version : My best purchase in years!

Tinker
02-28-2009, 00:34
http://www.kleankanteen.com/

When the Nalgene leaching scare came to the forefront, I was out of the hard Lexan bottles (mostly "given away"), and decided to try one of the new Kleen Kanteen stainless bottles. I bought one of the 40 oz. ones to replace the quart Nalgene that I usually carried in cold weather as a "hot water bottle" to add warmth to the sleeping bag on cold nights.
The Kleen Kanteen can be put right on (or next to, if you prefer) the fire to boil water for meals, and can be used as a hot water bottle as well. I'm thinking that if I didn't want any cleanup I could use it as my only water heating container and it would serve as my water carrier during the day as well. I was fortunate to have bought an extra large SLR padded lens carrier with a belt loop from REI back in the 80s. I never used it until this last trip. I found it could keep my water from freezing all day, and would keep my water quite warm all night, allowing for a quick boil on the stove for oatmeal and coffee in the morning. I will definitely have one in my winter pack from now on.

take-a-knee
02-28-2009, 01:16
COOL, that thing and a Bushbuddy looks like the winter ticket.

Wags
02-28-2009, 01:29
no worries about any sort of lining on the inside tinker? sounds great if not

mkmangold
02-28-2009, 02:14
no worries about any sort of lining on the inside tinker? sounds great if not

Per their website: "And yes, we still use 100% recyclable, high-quality, food-grade, stainless steel that doesn't need a special lining like some other metal bottles.

Tinker
02-28-2009, 09:59
For the weight difference vs. a Nalgene (I haven't weighed it yet but it seems to be heavier), the fact you can put it right on a fire or stove (remove the plastic top first), and it won't break if dropped on the rocks (dropped it on the ceramic tile floor in the kitchen when it was 1/2 full - it hit on the corner of the bottom which rounded the bottom a bit, making it unstable. I merely whacked the bottom with the heel of my hand and it popped right back).
No inside coating, no worries.
You can scrub the tar from the fire off with steel wool without gouging the bottle (can't do that with aluminum).
It's strange to be so excited about such a basic item. I'm waiting for the ti version......
This may herald the return of commercial freeze-dried meals to my weekend trail diet - no more cookpot!

Mercy
02-28-2009, 10:47
The site says it weighs 11oz.

Sly
02-28-2009, 11:08
Agua Fina one liter bottles make the best water container and they already come with water.

jrwiesz
02-28-2009, 12:52
Agua Fina one liter bottles make the best water container and they already come with water.

I like to reuse the Glaceau Smart Water container, sleek tall 1 liter design.

WritinginCT
02-28-2009, 13:27
Now if they would just make a 3cup or so short & squat version with the same tight sealing lid that you can use as a bowl (instead of plastic) it would be most awesome.

These metal bottles are popping up everywhere around where I live- at the grocery store and CVS among others. I think it's a great idea.

kolokolo
02-28-2009, 15:12
Sounds like a great idea. Like you said, it could do double duty and be used as your water heating container, so the weight may not be a factor since it could allow you to do without a pot or pan. I like that thinking...