PDA

View Full Version : rain gear

inthe4st
02-28-2009, 02:23
greetings all , say works for you on rain gear, rain suit,poncho,pack cover:-?

Ramble~On
02-28-2009, 05:14
Different strokes for different folks - in other words there seems to be a lot of different opinions about rain gear.
I carry rain pants, a hooded rain jacket and a pack cover. I wear glasses and will often take a wide brimmed rain hat too.

q-tip
02-28-2009, 05:56
I have a rain jacket and rain pants but use them mostly for warmth. My poncho is my best for rain protection. Also, goretex does not work for me because I sweat so much, the pores get clogged and the jacket gets soaked from the inside out.

Seeker
02-28-2009, 08:48
depends on trip/expected weather/season. but generally...

poncho alone in summer, dropstoppers top spring/fall, DS top and bottom in winter (more so for an outer layer). this is for west-central Louisiana/ eastern texas.

4eyedbuzzard
02-28-2009, 09:01
I always carry a rain jacket and pants(Marmot Precip) that doubles as wind shell. My pack(Aarn) is waterproof(internal rolltop liner) so I don't take a cover. I carry the Precips year round but most of that is up here in NH where even in summer you need a shell of some sort. But I honestly don't do a lot of foul weather hiking, mostly 2 to 3 day trips, and if the weather is going to be outright miserable(rain/cold/wind for 2 days straight) I'll find something dryer and warmer to do. I think I'd seriously look into a Packa for a long distance hike though--just a really good concept.

theinfamousj
02-28-2009, 21:24
I carry a poncho (which doubles as a tarp) and use it alone in the summer. For the other three seasons, I may be tempted to toss on my Sierra Designs rain pants. I bring the pants regardless because they are my "dry camp clothes" after a long day of hiking.

SGT Rock
02-28-2009, 21:25
Packa for the jacket and cover. Rain pants for the legs.

Hooch
02-28-2009, 21:30
Personally, I line the intside of my pack with a trash compactor bag and use a rain jacket and ULA Rain Wrap for my lower half. Works for me. :D

Jerk
02-28-2009, 21:48
For spring, summer, fall: Marmot Precip jacket and pants.

For ice cold rain (or snow): Paramo Alta II jacket.

ULA Mist overmitts (over fleece gloves).

If it will be raining all day (or all week), sealskinz socks.

Although I have a ULA pack cover, I leave it at home and just let my pack get soaked. Just make sure everything inside is wrapped up in waterproof sacks.

bigcranky
02-28-2009, 22:02
Montbell Peak Parka, Golite Reed pants spring, fall, winter.

Just the parka or a Golite poncho tarp in summer, but mostly I just get wet when it's warm enough.

kolokolo
02-28-2009, 22:25
DriDucks jacket, pack cover, wide-brimmed hat. I also carry DriDucks pants, but don't normally put them on. That gets me thinking - maybe I don't need them.

Blissful
02-28-2009, 23:39
I went with precip jacket and sil nylon packcover with reynold oven bags to double bag clothes and sleeping bag.

Secret Squirrel
03-01-2009, 06:36
Precip Jacket
Rain Pants
Pack Cover
I have a water resistant wide brimmed hat as well

2Questions
03-01-2009, 08:27
I like my Packa and depending on season, rainpants. The Packa keeps me dry yet is airy enough so I don't sweat while wearing it.

http://www.thepacka.com/