PDA

View Full Version : feul??????

wikea1
02-28-2009, 15:33
So after reading all these posts I have elected to not send any food mail drops and just buy along the way. With this being the case with some of you thru-hikers, did you buy and carry much food you had to cook? Or did you just carry cold non-cookable easy items...I need to know if I should carry fuel throughout the trail. Thanks!

SGT Rock
02-28-2009, 15:36
Alcohol stove. Bought fuel along the way.

warraghiyagey
02-28-2009, 16:10
Alcohol stove. Bought fuel along the way.
Yup. . . or some might suggest a pepsi can stove (canbe made easily from any aluminum can bottoms and a knife. There's something about a hot meal on the trail at the end of the day that's a good part of the trail experience. . . :)
HEET. Less than 2$/ bottle and lasts from 7 to 14 days depending on how often you cook. Burns clean.

SGT Rock
02-28-2009, 16:12
My stove would last 14 days off Heet making three hots a day. But a lot of people don't like it because it is slow.

There are other options. Canister, gas, and edbit. About the only thing hard to find on the trail is Esbit, and it ain't cheap either.

warraghiyagey
02-28-2009, 16:19
My stove would last 14 days off Heet making three hots a day. But a lot of people don't like it because it is slow.

There are other options. Canister, gas, and edbit. About the only thing hard to find on the trail is Esbit, and it ain't cheap either.
Excellent point and the 14 day number is my experience too. Plus it's light. And the time that your meal needs to finish heating after the gas burns out is great for taking care of other domestics, or if you're in the company of other hikers to simply enjoy the moment.

wikea1
02-28-2009, 16:35
Yeah i have a primus microlight stove and i have the msr isopro fuel canisters. would this type of stove work and would i find any screw on canisters on the trail?

SGT Rock
02-28-2009, 16:36
You are going to have a good supply. Don't sweat the small stuff.

wikea1
02-28-2009, 17:05
alright right on thanks

q-tip
02-28-2009, 17:40
I'll throw my more than 2 cents in, take a look at the Jetboil system. it is heavier and more costly than other options, but it does have some redeeming qualities. I am using it on my thru starting monday.

wrongway_08
02-28-2009, 18:02
Yea canister stove fuel is easy to get on the trail. I found that MSR fuel worked the best when it was cold out.

Before you get to maine I would toss 2 canisters in a bounce box, they are to get towards the end.

SGT Rock
02-28-2009, 18:42
Well if he already has a stove I wouldn't reccomend he switch to another. A 1qt pot, a spoon, and his stove will be all he needs. No sense trading a real pot in for a cup to eat out of.

SlowLightTrek
02-28-2009, 19:03
I carried a Simmerlite when I started my thru-hike, then switched to a Jetboil. It is heavier than other options. 15 oz., however, gets your pot and stove. The Jetboil is so efficient I cut my feul weight 1/3 of what I was carrying in white gas. I recommend it for that reason, and it's convenient.

I don't carry it now. I use a grease pot and wood fire with alchohol backup in areas where you can't build fires.

modiyooch
02-28-2009, 20:34
I believe in daily hot meals. My evening meals are cooked. I have coffee in the morning.

Blissful
02-28-2009, 20:53
I only had to mail myself canisters to my pocket rocket to a few selected places.

wikea1
03-02-2009, 16:03
Blissful, where excactly, if you remember, did you have to mail canisters and how long would each one last?

kyhipo
03-02-2009, 16:19
I have hiked many times without a stove.Bt to be honest with ya! I like hot coffee and a hot dinner.I like a simple lunch and never eat breakfest,well not often.ky

Blissful
03-02-2009, 18:20
Blissful, where excactly, if you remember, did you have to mail canisters and how long would each one last?

I recall mailing to Duncannon, PA and Unionville, NY. But there is an outfitter in Delaware Water Gap, so you might not need Unionville. That is, if the outfitter at Kent, CT will stock it (they didn't have any when we came through and the one gal didn't even know what it was when we called ahead of time) There were two of us to cook for, so it's difficult for me to predict your useage sorry!