PDA

View Full Version : Hog story

hootyhoo
02-28-2009, 21:39
This excerpt from my trail journal happened this past Wednesday.
At 7:00 I got into the tent. Rooty was covered in black forest soil from chipmunk digging so he stayed outside – door zipped. I got the bag warmed and started to journal. About 7:30 there was a ruckus outside – I flipped over unzipped the door and looked out with the headlamp on – 20' away from me - standing 8’ apart was Rooty and a big hog. The hog was at least 6” taller at the shoulder than Rooty and jet black in color. It was grunting, loudly. Apparently, Rooty saw him coming up the trail and walked out and stood in his path. A mexican standoff – Rooty never barked or made a noise – he just stood there like he was saying “its your move pig”. I yelled, ”get outa here!”. The hog spun away from me and ran. Rooty was hot on his heels. I yelled, “ Rooty, get back here”. I had just lost site of the hog, but could still see Rooty. Rooty turned and came running back. I had a second to think “whew, that was close.” About that time the hog came charging out of the woods heading right for us. Just before he got to the trail I had time to jump up and start yelling. He was about 15 feet from Rooty and about 30 feet from me. He spun around and ran off into the woods. That was an aggressive hog. I would estimate 250 pounds, maybe more. He was a big one. I slept pretty good even though I must have had a lot of adrenaline in my system. There was a lot of wind noise on the ridge above us.

wrongway_08
02-28-2009, 22:01
cool, what no photos?????? :)

NatureTalk
03-01-2009, 21:29
I was hiking in the Florida woods a month or so ago, and came across about 30 wild baby piglets following their moms through the woods. I do wish I could share a picture here, as they were darn cute little devils.

The moms gave me the evil eye, but could see I wasn't going to bother them, so they proceeded on their way. These hogs were probably too small to represent a real threat.

hurryinghoosier
03-02-2009, 22:13
A couple weeks ago I was hiking in Florida and came upon a big boar hog lying in the trail. When he saw me his ears went straight up and he gave a big grunt. I took two steps toward him and he was off into the swamps. A week later came upon one off in the woods at the same spot. I walked a little past the hog and a tree fell parallel to the trail. Scared the scat out of me. A few steps later a big deer bolted across the trail and off into the swamp. In about 15 seconds I had three heart racing moments.

Kanati
03-02-2009, 23:27
For a little while you had two rooty's on hand. :sun Where did this incident take place?

Celeritas
03-03-2009, 10:49
I was hiking in Florida recently on a nature trail with signs telling all about the wildlife, and I had just read about the feral hogs when this dog came whipping around the corner at full speed..
Scared the crap out of me! I actually yelled out. haha Luckily I had my camera on though and my first reaction was to snap a photo

skinewmexico
03-03-2009, 10:58
Feral hogs are becoming a major problem in a shocking number of states.

take-a-knee
03-03-2009, 11:49
Feral hogs are becoming a major problem in a shocking number of states.

I shoot every feral pig I can line up my sights on.

JumpInTheLake
03-03-2009, 14:01
I would estimate 250 pounds, maybe more. He was a big one.

If he was pretty big he probably weighed much more than 250 lbs. I have some hogs and we butcher them at 240 to 250lbs. They are about at mid thigh at that weight. (I'm 6'1)

You might have been facing much more hog than you think - if he was large.

hootyhoo
03-06-2009, 08:28
We were in Citico Wilderness camped below the BMT, on Mill Branch.

How big - 6" taller than a golden retriever.
I am just guessing on the weight - but you might be correct that he/she was bigger.

Can you imagine how freaked out I was when that thing came out of no-where charging back at us after I thought it was gone? And fast - I had no idea they could move like that. "You move good for a big girl".

There goes my plan to run and climb a tree if one ever comes after me - I'd never make it - if I did make it I would have to climb with my pack on -there would be not time to drop it.

This little piggy went to market, this little piggy went home, and that little piggy went ape sh%$.

I had to tell Rooty the story of the little piggies to get him to sleep - one of his favorites.

sheepdog
03-06-2009, 09:20
Good story. I would like to see a hog on the trail.

In a non charging, non threatening kind of way.

Mags
03-06-2009, 12:04
I saw some wild boars on the BMT recently.

My dinner in town the following night? Pork! :sun

sheepdog
03-06-2009, 13:17
the other white meat :)

skinewmexico
03-06-2009, 16:45
Good story. I would like to see a hog on the trail.

In a non charging, non threatening kind of way.

Big, ugly, nasty creatures that don't see very well. Stand still, they'll probably walk right up to you if the wind if from the right direction. I had one do that to me dove hunting a few years ago, just trotted right up the road. But when I moved, it vanished like smoke.