PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Hikers

ladybird
05-18-2004, 23:34
i am wondering if any of the canadian hikers that thru hiked had to pre-arrange anything to be in the states for six months. also, how they dealt with money (cash, debit, or credit card). if there are any other concerns i should have to consider before leaving for six months i would appreciate your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Shoe Leather Express
05-19-2004, 00:39
Your debit card should automatically do the conversion from Canadian to American dollars. Same with a credit card. When I was in Canada it did it for me, so I don't see why it shouldn't work vice versa.

sp00ky
05-19-2004, 10:54
I would tell your debit and credit card providers that you are going to be in the US for 6 mos. I am sure their system will flag the transactions eventually if all of a sudden your cards are being used so far from your normal places.

You will avoid them trying to contact you and possibly shutting down your cards to avoid potential fraudulent usage.

Just my $0.02 CDN ;-)

Scott

kaytee
05-19-2004, 18:20
I've used my TD debit card in the US and other contries with no problem. It is kind of sad to look at your bank balance in US dollars :( I don't think that you have to do anything to be in the United States, after all there are lots of retirees who go to Florida every winter. Here is a link from the Canadian government site about travelling to the US http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/pubs/usa_bound-en.asp