PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks are *comfortable*!

Senor Quack
05-19-2004, 00:48
I've been interested in hammock camping for about a year now, especially because I'm looking to thru-hike the AT soon. I bought a HH last year, but it was too cold to try out at the time, and only got a chance to try it out on a trip yesterday.

I'm 24 but have a pretty bad back, and increasingly have problems sleeping on beds and can't even sit in a chair without significant pain (I must use a recliner to use the computer).

My one night in the hammock is easily the most comfortable sleep I've ever had! It contoured to my back perfectly and gave support in all the right areas. Having my legs and head elevated and my butt lowered is the perfect position, I think, for the back to be in. I didn't need a pillow, as my head was supported in a perfect position by the hammock. I didn't need to adjust my arms, as they were also perfectly supported.

I crawled into the hammock relatively early because of rain, intending to do some reading before bed, but was so comfortable immediately, I just fell right to sleep. No pain after 9 or 10 hours of sleep. Amazing.

pharper
05-19-2004, 09:40
I'm glad that you were able to try it out and it worked well for you!

I am a little curious about your back problems, I am also 24 and I have a herniated disc in my back. I was interested in what kind of problems that you have, to see if it might be similar to mine. I have noticed that, most of the time, I can sleep wonderfully in my hammock. It (the disc) sometimes pinches a nerve and I have all sorts of leg pain... sometimes that has kept me awake in my hammock, but usually it is just perfect.

What kind of bed do you have at home? I sleep on a water bed and I don't know if that is the best thing in the world for it... although I had some back problems when i was a kid and it seemed that the waterbed worked great then.

Hammock Hanger
05-19-2004, 09:59
I herniated two of the lower disc in my back during a snowboarding wipe-out. I sleep better in the hammock then I do in my expensive bed at home. (Would probably use a hammock at home but my husband has this weird thing about sleeping next to me...)

It is impossible for me to get a full nights sleep in the shelters or a tent.

Just my little tidbit. Sue/HH

Senor Quack
05-19-2004, 14:31
I'm glad that you were able to try it out and it worked well for you!

I am a little curious about your back problems, I am also 24 and I have a herniated disc in my back. I was interested in what kind of problems that you have, to see if it might be similar to mine. I have noticed that, most of the time, I can sleep wonderfully in my hammock. It (the disc) sometimes pinches a nerve and I have all sorts of leg pain... sometimes that has kept me awake in my hammock, but usually it is just perfect.

What kind of bed do you have at home? I sleep on a water bed and I don't know if that is the best thing in the world for it... although I had some back problems when i was a kid and it seemed that the waterbed worked great then.

Well, I haven't had a professional diagnosis yet, because I don't currently have insurance and am not willing to undergo surgery yet anyways, as the pain just isn't bad enough for the risk involved.

I think I've got what you have.. disk problems in at least two places in my mid-to-lower-back. It never hurts when I'm standing, only when sitting or, sometimes, lying in bed. It's just a mildly sharp pain right there in the spine that isn't helped much by aspirin or tylenol. (Alcohol's the only thing that has worked, unfortunately.. can't drink that all the time, though). Occaisionally, like 5-10 times a year it will flare up and I'll get the pain in my legs, too, like you. I sometimes can't lift anything for days at a time and it hurts terriblyjust to lean over a little bit. Sneezing is excruciating! But that always goes away.

As for my bed.. I am now sleeping on a deluxe Thermarest tandem (dual pads side by side). I think I sleep better on one of these than a normal matress, as long as I sleep on my back or stomach. I built a platform for it out of 2x4's and plywood, and have enough room underneath for storage bins. HELLO, LADIES. Ok, maybe not terribly sexy but it works for me. I've never tried a waterbed. What do you think of yours?

Bankrobber
05-19-2004, 14:42
Senor Quack,
I am glad that you had a good experience in the hammock. I used one from Harper's Ferry to Caratunk, Maine. After the first few nights, I found it uncomfortable. Negotiating the sleeping bag and pad is difficult, and it is hard to sleep anyway but on your back. I hope you have better luck with comfort than I did.

Alligator
05-19-2004, 15:55
Senor Quack, last summer it was a sneeze that broke this Alligator's back! I ended up with a herniated disc. Couldn't sit for any length of time over 30 minutes for about 8 weeks. No squatting, kneeling, bending, and trouble walking/standing. However, it has gradually gotten better. My neurologist tried two treatments. IV steroids first. These helped but not completely. Then, sort of as an afterthought, he gave me a bunch of Celebrex samples. These worked immensely. I know it is an expensive drug, but if you can get a hold of some, try them out.

I don't use a hammock on the trail, just a tarp and a thermarest. I'm a stomach sleeper, so I don't think a hammock would do for me.

For me, my diagnosis was that a piece of disk was pinched off and residing up against the sciatic nerve, causing aggravation. My doctor said that this will be reabsorbed by the body. While I still get some back pain, I have not had an eposide of sciatic pain in about half a year. Hopefully you'll see some improvement.

Senor Quack
05-19-2004, 16:14
Senor Quack,
I am glad that you had a good experience in the hammock. I used one from Harper's Ferry to Caratunk, Maine. After the first few nights, I found it uncomfortable. Negotiating the sleeping bag and pad is difficult, and it is hard to sleep anyway but on your back. I hope you have better luck with comfort than I did.

Yeah, on this recent test of the hammock, I had to use a thermarest and section of blue foam pad for the shoulders and it was a bit difficult. If my back was out, there's no way I coulda done it without major pain. But I probably can get used to not using a pad for the majority of my hike if the temperatures don't drop below 50..

orangebug
05-19-2004, 18:02
Senor Quack, last summer it was a sneeze that broke this Alligator's back! I ended up with a herniated disc. Couldn't sit for any length of time over 30 minutes for about 8 weeks. No squatting, kneeling, bending, and trouble walking/standing. However, it has gradually gotten better. My neurologist tried two treatments. IV steroids first. These helped but not completely. Then, sort of as an afterthought, he gave me a bunch of Celebrex samples. These worked immensely. I know it is an expensive drug, but if you can get a hold of some, try them out.

Been there, done that and finally have the scar to show for it. :jump

I am 2 months post L5-S1 microlaminectomy. My back problems date back to working in a lumber mill back in college (now in mid-50's). The past two years I have not hiked due to volunteer work and time constraints, and failed to maintain exercise - gaining 30 pounds over a year. A sneeze did it for me, but gradually resolved. Driving a car from GA to NC and back put the nail in the coffin for me, resulting in severe leg pain, weakness, paresthesias (felt like a wet balled up sock under my metatarsal arch) and numbness. These did not resolve with rest, Aleve, exercise, stretching and tincture of time. Currently, I've lost 15 pounds, have regained much of my gastroc strength, have no pain but still have some weird feelings. :banana

The typical pattern is for disc hernations/extrusions to be reabsorbed in time. That time may create severe neurological deficits and symptoms, as in my case. Arthritis, local paravertebral spasm and other problems only complicate matters. Reducing weight and lifting correctly may reduce risks. I always have enjoyed hiking as the weight on my pelvis via hip belt seems to relax my back. Even with surgery, there remains a risk or recurrent disease.

I also like a hammock, and have not found it difficult to roll around on my side or chest when I lay diagonally in my HH. Actually, it is easier than when trying to stay on a Thermorest in the shelter or tent.

It is a good idea to get insurance and treatment for back problems. Back injuries are the second largest cause of Social Security Disability claims. It is a good idea to have a good neurologist and PT available to help avoid surgery.

Bill...

firefly
05-20-2004, 09:44
I got "totalled" by a drunk driver and thought my trail days were over. I have 4 herniated discs and a good mix of other problems: busted feet..bad shoulder..bad hands..goofey leg ect. My trail name should be "bucket of bolts". I thought my trail days were over but I bumped into Sgt Rock on the web and discovered ultra-lite hiking and hammocks. I started out with a Hennessey Hammock but switched to a Speer this year. I like both hammocks. The Hennessey Hammock sleeps flatter but the Speer works better for me because I sleep very cold. It is very easy to place a pad in the Speer since the bug mesh detaches. I use an ultra-lite short thermarest pad-which does flatten the Speer Hammock out. The Pea Pod is very Ez to use. If it is colder than 40 degrees I add an wide Oware Hammock under the thermarest to keep my shoulders warm. The only time I can sleep thru the evening without chronic pain is in the hammock.

pharper
05-20-2004, 10:06
I've never tried a waterbed. What do you think of yours?
I love my waterbed... I don't know if it is the best thing for my back or not, but I haven't slept on a regular bed for a while (since my back really started bothering me). I too recommend getting insurance if possible and going to the doc. I have started my Epidural Blocks, I got one at the end of March... felt great and canceled my second one. Then I went and did Jiu-Jitsu(a friend and I started a sport club at our University). That was a bad idea, woke up the next day in extreme pain -- I have to add that the doc said that I could resume my normal activities. I then rescheduled my 2nd block, I get that done tomorrow(5/21)!!!!

My Orthopedic surgeon said that the blocks have a 80% chance of fixing my problem, otherwise I might have to have surgery. I think that I will explore other avenues before surgery (if the blocks don't work), i.e. acupuncture,etc.

Before you decide to do this, GET INSURANCE!!!! I think that the block itself cost over $1,300... after my *student* insurance paid out I owed $30... :clap

I love my hammock, and NEVER want to go back to sleeping on the ground. I also find it difficult to mess with a pad/sleeping bag or quilt inside (I have the older HH ultralight backpacer, non-Asym). I am hoping to aleviate this problem with an underquilt from Smee and Peter Pan.

As far as getting treatment, I agree... I don't want to be 24 yrs old and be on disability... I probably will be there soon enough (have a good chance of going blind via Macular degeneration from my Dad).

Fiddleback
05-20-2004, 10:52
All you folks with the bad discs -- do some Google research on artificial discs. The last I read, they will probably be available in the U.S. within the next two years. Supposed to have lots of benefits not the least of which is no bone grafting...

FB

pharper
05-20-2004, 11:37
All you folks with the bad discs -- do some Google research on artificial discs. The last I read, they will probably be available in the U.S. within the next two years. Supposed to have lots of benefits not the least of which is no bone grafting...

FBMight have to look into that... Hopefully I will be able to solve my problems without anything that drastic... but you never know!

Thank you!

Here is a link... seems interesting:
http://www.spine-health.com/research/discupdate/discupdate01.html

neo
12-27-2004, 04:42
i do not have major problems with my back,but the ground seems harder than it used to,i love my hennessey hammock:sun neo