PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lone Wolf

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

gypsy
03-01-2009, 10:12
Hi everyone!

I just thought that I would give everyone the latest news on Wolf''s health. Yesterday, Wolf was rushed to the hospital around 1:00PM. He suffered a heart attack and had to have immediate surgery which involved a quadruple bypass. As bad as that sounds however, he is doing well and is in the cardiac intensive care unit at the Bristol Regional Medical Center in Bristol,TN. I think that they are going to move him to a room some time today after they remove the balloon from his chest. He is alert and talking, but very sore!! I will try to keep you all posted on his progress. Local was kind enough to bring his laptop to the hospital, so that I could post this. (Thanks, Richard!) If you believe in love and prayer, please send one out for my beloved, my best friend, and one of the greatest men I've ever known.
Love you guys,
Gypsy

vonfrick
03-01-2009, 10:15
oh sweetie that is terrible news. love to you both.

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 10:16
Damn. Tell that crusty bastid to stop shamming.

You guys need anything you call me.

Bearpaw
03-01-2009, 10:16
Sleeps With Skunks and I will be praying for him. Hang in there Gypsy. Tell Wolf to get right and walk straight.

Bulldawg
03-01-2009, 10:19
My God Gypsy! Tell him he is in our thoughts and prayers and if you guys need anything, let us know!!

neighbor dave
03-01-2009, 10:19
sending best wishes and speedy recovery for lone wolf.
hang in there gypsy

JERMM
03-01-2009, 10:20
my thoughts and prayers are with you LW, wishing you a speedy recovery

Skidsteer
03-01-2009, 10:21
Tell him he's in my prayers Gypsy....and so are you.

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2009, 10:21
Damn. I don’t know Lone Wolf, but I feel like I know him. I’m thinking good thoughts and sending positive energy your way.

Hooch
03-01-2009, 10:22
Tell that old curmudgeon to get back on his feet again soon. If y'all need anything, get my number from Rock and call, anytime! Many positive thoughts for a speedy recovery for LW! Did they shave his beard for the OR? :eek::D

mtnkngxt
03-01-2009, 10:24
Tell the old wolf to get better quick, I can't preach anti-shelter theology by myself. Prayers and thoughts out to you.

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 10:25
Tell that old curmudgeon to get back on his feet again soon. If y'all need anything, get my number from Rock and call, anytime! Many positive thoughts for a speedy recovery for LW! Did they shave his beard for the OR? :eek::D
Oh, that is a wicked thought.

Sly
03-01-2009, 10:26
Hang in there Gypsy. Get well soon LW.

Rockhound
03-01-2009, 10:30
Maria's dad just had a quadruple bypass. He's 83 and doing well. LW is tough as nails and will bounce right back. He's too stubborn not to. Stay strong Gypsy.

Dances with Mice
03-01-2009, 10:32
Oh, that is a wicked thought.I was wondering if getting the hat off required further surgery.

Get well, Mr. Wolf. You've always had a big heart and a good one, let's hope they now made it a well one.

dixicritter
03-01-2009, 10:32
Prayers for you and LW for sure Gypsy! And like Rock said if you need ANYTHING you call us right away!

Roots
03-01-2009, 10:33
I just posted this on your facebook, but I want you to know, again, that Gungho and I are here for you if you need ANYTHING!!! Please do not hesitate to ask! You make sure LW knows we are putting the biggest get well wishes all around him!!!! We love you guys!!!

bigmac_in
03-01-2009, 10:33
Sorry to hear about this Gypsy, but he'll probably feel like a different person in a couple week. My dad went throught a similar situation - it's been almost 20 years ago now. 2 weeks after the surgery, he said he didn't realize how bad he felt before the operation - he felt so much better now. I'm sure LW will see the same results.

In the meantime, I'll be throwing out the thoughts and prayers.

Big Mac

Yukon
03-01-2009, 10:34
Wow, hope he gets well soon...sorry to hear that. Glad to hear the surgery went well.

Creek Dancer
03-01-2009, 10:35
Oh my. I will keep both of you in my prayers. With you at his side, I am sure he will be fine Gypsy. In a few weeks, he will feel better than he has felt in a long time.

Take care,

cindy

rjohns94
03-01-2009, 10:38
my prayers are offered up. Hope he continues to heal well and recover quickly.

Furlough
03-01-2009, 10:38
Gypsy my thoughts and prayers are with you and Lone Wolf.

Lone Wolf get well soon.

Furlough

jlb2012
03-01-2009, 10:40
hey Gypsy - tell Lone Wolf that I'm pulling for him and for you too

bigcranky
03-01-2009, 10:40
Lone Wolf is in our thoughts today. Get well quick, you old so-and-so.

Rcarver
03-01-2009, 10:42
Glad he was able to get to the hospital to get help. Get well.

4eyedbuzzard
03-01-2009, 10:44
Don't let him sleep with his food in the hospital--those hospital dieticians are more ornery than a GSMNP bear.:eek:

I've never met D in real life, but give him my best wishes for a speedy recovery. The world needs all the good interesting characters it can get.

kanga
03-01-2009, 10:44
oh, gypsy, you have all my love and all my prayers. wolf is strong - it won't take him long to be well. you let us know if we can help you.

double d
03-01-2009, 10:50
Hang tough LW! My father had the same operation as you did and he is completely well (and he was 68 when he had the operation). Listen to your cardo doc and follow their medical outline for you and you'll be fine.

gypsy
03-01-2009, 10:50
Yeah, actually they only cut the front part. So that means they'll have to shave it to match the rest. He looks pretty rough right now, but cute in another sense. I love him so much. He's sleeping right now. They've got him pretty sedated. Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers.

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 10:51
Best wishes to Lone Wolf for a speedy recovery and for Gypsy's love and support of her man.

Rain Man
03-01-2009, 10:51
Gypsy, thanks for sharing the news. Here's wishing LW a speedy recovery and wishing you lots of love and support too.

Rain:sunMan & Stitch

envirodiver
03-01-2009, 10:52
Gypsy, both you and LW are in my thoughts. Glad he sought the help he needed and was somewhat prepared from his tests of last week. Sounds like recovery is on the way. That is great news.

buff_jeff
03-01-2009, 10:53
I'm sorry to hear that. Best wishes and get well soon, wolf.

Hooch
03-01-2009, 10:54
If anyone wants to send a card to wish LW well, the address is:

Bristol Regional Medical Center
1 Medical Park Boulevard
Bristol, TN 37620

Dancer
03-01-2009, 10:58
Gypsy,

I'm praying for you and Wolf. Sucks that bad things happen to such good people. Hang in there and hopefully you will both be back home soon.

Julie

Marta
03-01-2009, 10:58
Dang! Wishing you a speedy recovery, LW.

Take care of yourself as well as him, Gypsy.

A-Train
03-01-2009, 11:00
Hope everything goes well guys. Get better soon Wolf.

MOWGLI
03-01-2009, 11:01
I join everyone else in offering well wishes for a speedy recovery. Before you know it, he'll be back walking and then running on the Creeper Trail. Get well soon Wolf!

MintakaCat
03-01-2009, 11:01
Here’s to wishing you a speedy recovery LW, from the newbie on WB. LW and I are about the same age so the news does hit close to home. I’ve also known a few people who have had the same operation and have bounced back pretty quickly, as I know LW will too. The tough part is the sudden shock of it all at first, and that can be difficult. Take comfort in knowing that you have many friends here.

Local
03-01-2009, 11:07
Gypsy has gone back into the ICU room now to check on Wolf. He was awake earlier and joking with my youngest daughter, who stayed here last night with Gypsy. Around noon today the balloon will be removed and he may be moved out of ICU today or tomorrow. My belief is that this strong man will recover quickly and will be feeling much better than he has felt the past few months.

Mongoose2
03-01-2009, 11:07
Gypsy; you and LW helped me out with a ride last year......you were so kind and helpful. We wish you and LW all the best and will pray for a full recovery!

The Scribe
03-01-2009, 11:08
Thanks for the information Gypsy. My thoughts are with both of you.

FritztheCat
03-01-2009, 11:09
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

squeeze
03-01-2009, 11:10
Thoughts and prayers are with you both. Heal quickly Wolf.

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 11:12
Yeah, actually they only cut the front part. So that means they'll have to shave it to match the rest. He looks pretty rough right now, but cute in another sense. I love him so much. He's sleeping right now. They've got him pretty sedated. Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers.
Quick, get him to marry you ;)

SouthMark
03-01-2009, 11:14
All my best wishes LW for a very speedy recovery. Wish I could have spent more time with you at SORUCK but I'll catch you at next year's gathering. You are too tough to let this set you back.

camojack
03-01-2009, 11:27
Wow. Here's hoping (and praying!) that Lone Wolf's ornery nature carries him through this...easily as may be.

Of course I know that he just plays an ornery guy on the Internet; many of us know that he's a genuine sweetheart in real life.

Hang in there, Gypsy; he's lucky to have the genuine sweetheart that you are in his life...

peanuts
03-01-2009, 11:30
gypsy, sending my prayers to you and lone wolf. he is strong and he will be hes old self before you know it! take care of yourself also!

Footslogger
03-01-2009, 11:30
Hi everyone!

I just thought that I would give everyone the latest news on Wolf''s health. Yesterday, Wolf was rushed to the hospital around 1:00PM. He suffered a heart attack and had to have immediate surgery which involved a quadruple bypass. As bad as that sounds however, he is doing well and is in the cardiac intensive care unit at the Bristol Regional Medical Center in Bristol,TN. I think that they are going to move him to a room some time today after they remove the balloon from his chest. He is alert and talking, but very sore!! I will try to keep you all posted on his progress. Local was kind enough to bring his laptop to the hospital, so that I could post this. (Thanks, Richard!) If you believe in love and prayer, please send one out for my beloved, my best friend, and one of the greatest men I've ever known.
Love you guys,

Gypsy
=================================

Thanks for the update Gypsy. I was under the impression previous to your post that they had discovered blockage on the stress test. Guess things progressed quickly from that point.

As someone who went through the whole heart attack thing just a year ago I can relate. I didn't have the bypass part but spent 2 weeks in cardiac ICU and then they took me back to surgery to implant a pacemaker/ICD.

Give Wolf my best and tell him to be patient. That was my biggest challenge. I wanted to feel better NOW.

Will be keeping him and you in my thoughts ...

'Slogger

bloodmountainman
03-01-2009, 11:34
Get well soon.....the hiking world needs your common sense !!!
Wishing the best for you both.:)

Pacific Tortuga
03-01-2009, 11:36
LONE WOLF you ole dog, sad to hear you have joined the club.
I had my quad at 49 yo and had to wait an extra year for my thru attempt.

My chest never hurt after the saw-bones got through with me ........... but my legs and ankles where they stripped the veins, hurt like the dickins for a solid year and that was in 2005.
2007, I feel no pain and walked 995 miles. Had to 'get off', but not due to the cardiac stuff.

Only side effects are, you'll go green, turn liberal (due to a bleeding heart) white blaze only, laugh at them that do not believe in human caused global warming, howl at the moon and gypsey more often, see if Dot can add a veggie burger to the menu and post more on the computer, you'll be at 40,000 in no time.

I do want to say that after us meeting in Damascus I have so much more respect for you and yours. I got boged down in town for too long but was able to hear and see all the things you do to help hikers with no strings attached. Your a damn good person and yes, A TRAIL MAKER no matter how hard you try to act like your not. Get healthy and don't change.

gypsy
03-01-2009, 11:44
Many thanks to Elaina as well. She stayed with me all night long and even rearranged the furniture in the Cardiac ICU so that we would have a place to stay. Wolf will really appreciate all your concern!

Gypsy

Mal the Elder
03-01-2009, 11:44
Our thoughts are with you, and we're sending good vibes to you and Wolf, Gypsy. This sucks, Wolf is a righteous dude. Wolf, don't argue with the doctors, OK---we want you healed up and back raising Cain!

:(

Best,
Mal and the Dreaming Goddess

zoidfu
03-01-2009, 11:51
Good luck, man. I've got my fingers crossed.

ezdoesit
03-01-2009, 11:55
:sun
Wolf and Gypsy I wish you all the best and God bless you get better man.:)

SawnieRobertson
03-01-2009, 12:02
Quick, get him to marry you ;)

Actually, that is excellent advice.

This event has a silver lining as I understand it. A book of interviews of people who were alive after their 100th birthday gives two commonalities among them: (1) they continued to work till in their 80s and 90s and (2) a significant, potentially lethal event such as what LW has endured put their lifestyles on the right path to decades and decades of good health which they were still enjoying immensely.

Meanwhile, back at the ICU, we're pulling for you LW. Looking at all these responses to Gypsy's announcement must certainly convince you of that.

Kinnickinic

saimyoji
03-01-2009, 12:05
Holy ****. My thoughts and prayers are with you Gypsy, Wolf. Hope you pull through well and fast.

TOW
03-01-2009, 12:14
Local emailed me last night and told me what was up, you let Wolf know I love him Gypsy. I saw him at Food City yesterday morning buying the fixing's for spaghetti, I bet it was the spaghetti that did it.

If I can be of any service let me know!

hikingshoes
03-01-2009, 12:30
Hang in there LW & Gypsy lots of Prayers for you both.

Frick Frack
03-01-2009, 12:33
I do not personally know Lone Wolf but have frequented White Blaze enough to enjoy his opinions and posts the most of almost anyone on this site. I wish him the best of luck!

Desert Reprobate
03-01-2009, 12:36
I think there are a lot of us out here that have never met Lone Wolf but respect his input. Get well soon.

Blue Wolf
03-01-2009, 12:39
Best wishes to a speedy recovery yes, he is a great guy when you meet him in person I amd thru-hiking this year I'll be sure to look for him at the Place in Damascus I am sure as tough as he is he will be fine. hurry back on the trail man!

Lugnut
03-01-2009, 12:46
If anyone wants to send a card to wish LW well, the address is:

Bristol Regional Medical Center
1 Medical Park Boulevard
Bristol, TN 37620

He's a lucky man. Lucky to survived and lucky to have so many friends pulling for him.

Probably should use real name for mail: David Blair.

Best to you LW. We're all in your corner on this one!

Mother's Finest
03-01-2009, 12:51
Good Luck Lone Wolf

All the hippies in the house are pulling for you.

Get Well.

peace
mf

jersey joe
03-01-2009, 12:51
Get well Lone Wolf...

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2009, 13:00
get well soon my friend.

simon
03-01-2009, 13:02
Wishing you the best LW,,take your time and heal,, you're respected by all!

Petr
03-01-2009, 13:04
Get well soon LW. Don't know ya, but I was looking forward to buying you a beer on my thru next year.

Highway Man
03-01-2009, 13:08
My best wishes for you to get back to life.
I really appreciate your wisdom and quick input.
"It's just walking" has built up a lot of mentality on
me to attempt a thru this year.
Good luck!

Chaco Taco
03-01-2009, 13:17
DO you want us to come up? We are not far and we can be there today

dmax
03-01-2009, 13:19
I hope you get out of that huge shelter as soon as possible!!

Spirit Walker
03-01-2009, 13:21
I"m really sorry to hear about this, but I know you'll be on your feet quickly. Take care of yourselves.

winger
03-01-2009, 13:23
Sorry to hear of this and wishing him the best, he is after all one of the main reasons I joined this board, because of his straight forward and honest postings.

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 13:27
I think there are a lot of us out here that have never met Lone Wolf but respect his input. Get well soon.
His comments routinely challenge folks assumptions.

karo
03-01-2009, 13:34
L.W.,Get Well Soon, you and Gypsy are in our prayers!

little bear
03-01-2009, 13:34
Hey, im keeping you in my prayers. Hope you get better soon.

7Sisters
03-01-2009, 13:42
Gypsy and Lone Wolf - I will be thinking about both of you and will be hoping for the best. Speedy recovery.

Lillianp
03-01-2009, 13:44
Lone Wolf & Gypsy, Same as most-never met you, but you both will be in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon, LW.

George
03-01-2009, 13:49
He will be up and pushing for 30,000 in no time

BR360
03-01-2009, 14:03
Bad news about the heart attack. Good news about the surgey and its success.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Humor is the best medicine:

As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him, "Herman, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on Interstate 81! Please be careful!"

"It's not just one car," said Herman. "It's hundreds of them!"

Alligator
03-01-2009, 14:06
Damn, was holding out that you might just need an angioplasty, your earlier reports weren't sounding too good. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

the goat
03-01-2009, 14:08
gypsy & LW, me and the better half are sending prayers for a full and rapid recovery.

Rentman
03-01-2009, 14:09
My thoughts and prayers are with Lone Wolf................

HikerRanky
03-01-2009, 14:11
While I have never met Lone Wolf and you Gypsy (yet), I feel as though I have known you as family for some time thru WhiteBlaze.

Both Jan and I are praying for a speedy recovery for you LW, and give thanks that you are doing well and will be back on your feet very soon. We also give thanks for you Gypsy for letting us know about this. You truly are a special person....

Randy

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2009, 14:11
Wow, I just found out about this.

Hang in there, G&W, everything's going to be all right.

We all know Wolf has a really big heart, so it can take a bit of pounding.

See you guys soon.

And Hooch, thanx for passing along the mailing address.

Jim Adams
03-01-2009, 14:15
LW, take care and get better soon...praying for ya!
Actually the reports that Gypsy has posted pretty much sound like the procedure went well and followed normal results which is good. The best thing is that recovery therapy will probably involve walking. Although I live a little far away, if I can help in any way please let me know.

geek

Ghosthiker
03-01-2009, 14:16
LW & Gypsy, just wanted to add my best wishes.And LW, welcome to the zipper club. I had the same thing in May of 07. As bad as it is and seems, thanks to the great advances, life can get better. I was out of work for 6 weeks, then slowly started building back up. Was able to do my first day hikes in September and my first overnighter in early November. Today, as everyone told me (though at the time I didn't believe them) I actually feel better than I did before it happened. As one who has "been there, done that" if I can help, let me know.

theinfamousj
03-01-2009, 14:16
Damn. I don’t know Lone Wolf, but I feel like I know him. I’m thinking good thoughts and sending positive energy your way.

Same with me. I'm glad to hear that he seems to already be on the mend.

WBers - Do we want to get a flower fund together and perfume Wolf's hospital room?

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 14:23
We were thinking a filter and some trekking poles.

George
03-01-2009, 14:24
I was thinking a trekking pole fund-I was beat to it but I see a trend

Foyt20
03-01-2009, 14:25
Feel better soon LW.

George
03-01-2009, 14:28
maybe for the 25,000 post prize a set of gold trekking poles

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2009, 14:30
Trekking poles, a filter, and a week's lodging at his favorite hostel......at the height of the hiking season! And when he recovers, a week's hiking with Sean Penn; Michael Moore; Al Franken; Keith Olbermann; Alec Baldwin; and of course, Rosie O'Donnell.

The good news is that at trip's end, Wolf will be the only one to walk out of the woods. :D

SawnieRobertson
03-01-2009, 14:36
Trekking poles, a filter, and a week's lodging at his favorite hostel......at the height of the hiking season! And when he recovers, a week's hiking with Sean Penn; Michael Moore; Al Franken; Keith Olbermann; Alec Baldwin; and of course, Rosie O'Donnell.

The good news is that at trip's end, Wolf will be the only one to walk out of the woods. :D

I hope that LW gets as big a laugh out of that one as I did. Thanks for the levity, Jack.--Kinnickinic

George
03-01-2009, 14:36
--out of the woods-- maybe Jon Krakur can write the book: followed by the movie

daddytwosticks
03-01-2009, 14:37
Prayers to LW and Gypsy...Whiteblaze ain't Whiteblaze without the Wolf...get well soon.

Puppy
03-01-2009, 14:43
Get well soon Lone Wolf. Gypsy hang in there.

mlkelley
03-01-2009, 14:54
Hoping for your smooth recovery.

warren doyle
03-01-2009, 14:57
Lone Wolf and Gypsy,

I wish you a smooth and speedy recovery. Leonard and Laurie Adkins might be able to offer some good advice.

Many Walks
03-01-2009, 15:03
G&LW, wish you the best. I suppose if the folks will have LW hiking with Penn, Moore, Franken, O'Donnell, and others, you might as well throw a dog and shelter reservations in there too! Geez, I thought these would all be good will wishes. Take good care, we're all pulling for you!!!

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2009, 15:06
Um, that WAS a good will wish......I've probably known Wolf as long as just about anyone here and I think he knows when I'm kidding. And if not, when he recovers, he's certainly still capable of handing me my head if so inclined.

He's gonna be just fine.

Ron Haven
03-01-2009, 15:07
I am glad to hear he is doing ok considering.

Just Jack
03-01-2009, 15:07
I thought that you might have been swinging too hard to crank out those 300+ yard drives and and were getting too uptight over missing those 3 footers. Now its come down to you have to eat all your tofu and broccli. Seriously--hurry up and get well. Somebody has to keep this WB crowd straight. Love and prayers being sent to both of you.

Heater
03-01-2009, 15:08
Oh wow!

Lone Wolf. Hang in there, man. You are gonna be fine through this. I just know it!

Gypsy, you hang in there too.

RememberYourZen
03-01-2009, 15:11
get well LW

Scrapes
03-01-2009, 15:13
Get well! thoughts from NJ

FaithWalker
03-01-2009, 15:28
Our best to you, Lonewolf and Gypsy. Stay strong Gypsy, you have to be the strength for him now too. If MinnesotaSmith or I (FaithWalker) can help in any way we can. You and LW have an awesome hiking family pulling for you guys.

TJ aka Teej
03-01-2009, 15:28
If you believe in love and prayer, please send one out for my beloved, my best friend, and one of the greatest men I've ever known.
are both in our prayers

You are both in our prayers, Gypsy

Jaybird62
03-01-2009, 15:30
Gypsy, my family has both of you in our thoughts and prayers

Tenacious Tanasi
03-01-2009, 15:33
I just received an anonymous text message telling me about Lone Wolf. Whoever you are, many thanks!

Lonewolf you ornery cuss, you'd better get better in a hurry. I don't live that far from ya, and I'll be up there kickin ye arse ifin ya don't!!! I wubs ja Wolfy. Please get better soon, hon.

Gypsy, you just tell me what you guys need and I'm there. Need a break for a night. Need anything from home? Need a hot meal brought to you? (hospital food sucks!) Books? Give me a call 205-577-0796. I'm just down the road south of K-town.

Plus, I've always wondered what LW looked like under that thar beard. We'll have to get pics afore he grows it back. :)

( /me slips a $20 in the hiking pole jar )

fehchet
03-01-2009, 15:35
LW this is the beginning of a strong and good future. Real prayers, of course, to you and Gypsy: and prayers to all of us, as well. My goodness! We probably will beat the PTL Club in amount of simultaneous healing prayers. (from some past nebulous television stream) I look forward to seeing both your smiles in May at Trail Days.
that guy

High Life
03-01-2009, 15:40
crap that made me cry when i read that , LW showed me a lot of love when i was in damscus . i miss you both terribly ... that was one of the most unforgettable weeks of my life especially when he brought me to meet ron and his wife , as well as parks mill for the best BBQ ever . I'm praying for your speeding recovery Wolf
Sincerely ,
HighLife

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-01-2009, 15:43
Gypsy & LW if you need anything - anything at all, call me (numbers are in your PMs or message me over on Facebook or via email.

Prayers are rising and a warm, loving healing dino tail is curled tightly about you both. I will try to get up to Bristol in the next day or two with some stuff to help make the hospital more bearable.

LW, hang in there, you crusty ol' goat. This world wouldn't be such a nice place without your ornery toes to bite.

ken209
03-01-2009, 15:49
Get well soon Lone Wolf.

mrc237
03-01-2009, 15:53
Hey Gypsy, You know I just had the same surgery back in Dec. I am now near fully recovered and The Wolf is alot younger and stronger than I. His was one of the first calls I received while in the hospital. He'll be sore for a few weeks but its well worth it for he'll feel much better and the walk to Dot's will be pain free. Get well my Friend!

Chaco Taco
03-01-2009, 15:54
Wolf, I knew me and Wak should have knocked on your door Tuesday.

Gypsy if you need anything at all you can call us, we are close by and can be there if you need us to be.

BitBucket
03-01-2009, 15:57
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with LW during his recovery. I had the good fortune to meet him once over at Neel(s) Gap.

Hope he recovers quickly and is able to get back on the trail soon!

Bushpig
03-01-2009, 15:58
Gypsy, I go all the way back to '92 with LW. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. I just found this site today and couldn't believe what I was reading. Give LW my best.

Sleepy the Arab
03-01-2009, 16:01
Get better soon, Lone Wolf.

johnnybgood
03-01-2009, 16:03
Get better soon Wolf cause theres' no replacing you here on WhiteBlaze.
I'm positive that once you get your strength back you'll feel so much better.

Take care and listen to what the nurses tell you . I'll pray for your speedy return to good health.

Beach Bum
03-01-2009, 16:04
LW, get well soon.

ColdFire
03-01-2009, 16:07
Best wishes LW for a full and speedy recovery :banana you will be up and at'em in no time so no worries :)

I wonder if they had to call in a Vet to perform the surgery? :D

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 16:08
Um, that WAS a good will wish......I've probably known Wolf as long as just about anyone here and I think he knows when I'm kidding. And if not, when he recovers, he's certainly still capable of handing me my head if so inclined.

He's gonna be just fine.

I don't know how anyone could take your comments any other way than good natured kidding. Heck, LW probably prefers that over all the blubbering. :)

mtbmatty
03-01-2009, 16:15
get well soon

all the best to you and gypsy both

peace

-matt

Nicksaari
03-01-2009, 16:18
i have just found out about this today guys.
wishing the lone wolf a speedy and safe recovery! my thoughts are with you
and tomorrow when i hike in the snow.
take er easy

Sharkey
03-01-2009, 16:18
Get well soon LW. Gyspy, prayers are being sent for both of you.

mountain squid
03-01-2009, 16:21
Get well soon, Lone Wolf.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Summit
03-01-2009, 16:24
Praying for God's grace on you LW. Get well soon!

yappy
03-01-2009, 16:25
Wow, I am terrible sorry to hear that. My dad also had 4 bypass and is doing very well. Get better Wolf. This site isn't the same without you. All the best .

SteveJ
03-01-2009, 16:31
Warmest thoughts and prayers, Gypsy and Lone Wolf! Keep us informed, and get well soon!

windy city
03-01-2009, 16:40
My prayers to you both.
Get well soon.

cannonball
03-01-2009, 16:48
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Could some one please educate me. I had triple by-pass 6 months ago. I do not recall anything about a Balloon being taken out.

garlic08
03-01-2009, 16:53
Best wishes, get well soon.

Garlic

McKeever
03-01-2009, 16:59
Best regards and a speedy recovery.
Keep the hiking inspiration alive and well, you can do it.

A-Train
03-01-2009, 17:00
Best to Wolf and Gypsy. Get better soon man!

chiefduffy
03-01-2009, 17:05
You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

- Duffy and KC

Jim Adams
03-01-2009, 17:11

Could some one please educate me. I had triple by-pass 6 months ago. I do not recall anything about a Balloon being taken out.
They were probably attempting an angioplasty.

geek

Local
03-01-2009, 17:11

Cannonball, this is from Medline:
(http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002953.htm)
"Arteries can become narrowed or blocked by deposits called plaque. Plaque is made up of fat and cholesterol that builds up on the inside of the artery walls. This condition is called atherosclerosis (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000171.htm).

If the blockage is not too severe, an angioplasty procedure can be used to open the artery. Traditional angioplasty involves the use of a balloon catheter -- a small, hollow, flexible tube that has a balloon near the end of it.

Before the balloon angioplasty procedure begins, you will be given some pain medicine. Occasionally, blood thinning medicines are also given to prevent formation of a blood clot.

You will lie down on a padded table. The health care provider will make a small cut on your body, usually near the groin, and insert the catheter into an artery. You will be awake during the procedure.

The health care provider will use x-rays to look at your heart and arteries. Dye will be injected into your body to highlight blood flow through the arteries. This helps reveal any blockages in the vessels leading to the heart. The balloon catheter is moved into or near the blockage, and the balloon on the end is blown up (inflated). This opens the blocked vessel and restores proper blood flow to the heart.

In some cases, a device called a stent (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002303.htm) is also placed at the site of narrowing or blockage in order to keep the artery open. A common type of stent is made of self-expanding, stainless steel mesh."

Skyline
03-01-2009, 17:14
Get well LW!

Skyline

Panzer1
03-01-2009, 17:28
Good luck Lone Wolf. Hope you get well soon.
Maybe I'll see you on the trail some day or at least we'll see you at the Gathering in October..

Panzer

Tennessee Viking
03-01-2009, 17:31
Tell LW, the Eastman Club sends our thoughts and prayers. Be no time before he will be up and around again.

If you all need anything, I just down here in JC.

Silver Bear
03-01-2009, 17:35
LW we pray for you & Gypsy.

ed bell
03-01-2009, 17:42
LW and Gypsy, you two are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay positive and I hope everything goes well!:sun

Petr
03-01-2009, 17:42
Cannonball,

I'm guessing that LW had an intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) in him to help him get through this critical period. It works by timing itself to the heart rate: when the heart contracts to send blood to the rest of the body, it deflates, allowing blood to pass through the aorta (the largest artery in the body that feeds everything else) to get oxygen to the brain and everything else, and when the heart is relaxed it inflates. The second phase is complicated (see below if interested), but the upshot is that by inflating it sends more blood (and oxygen) to the heart while a person is having a heart attack.

Probably more technical than is worthwhile, especially since this thread is about having Gypsy and Wolf in our thoughts/prayers, but I can't help myself (and understanding what's going on helps some patients cope better):

The coronary arteries that feed the heart are unlike any other arteries in the body in that they have maximum bloodflow when the heart is relaxed (i.e. not pushing blood out); the reason for this is that when the heart is squeezing blood out by contracting, it also squeezes shut all the vessels that feed the heart's muscle tissue. Our body's way of getting around this is to harness the "backpressure" in the arterial system; as soon as the heart is done squeezing blood into the body, a valve closes preventing the backpressure from re-entering the heart in a backwards direction. Our body's strategically place the coronary arteries right outside of these valves, taking advantage of the backpressure and piping blood (and oxygen) to the heart muscle tissue while it's relaxed. So, the simple genius of the IABP is that while it sucks blood forward into the aorta by deflating and creating negative pressure when the heart is squeezing (thus oxygenating the peripheral tissues/organs), it also forces blood and oxygen back into the heart tissue when the heart isn't squeezing, preventing heart muscle tissue death. It's a bad@ss gadget which has prevented a lot of mortality and morbidity.

Peter

Egads
03-01-2009, 17:46
LW,

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Egads

cowboy nichols
03-01-2009, 18:07
My prayers for both of you. my dog sends prayers too.

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 18:08
Lets get Lone Wolf a puppy.

warraghiyagey
03-01-2009, 18:10
That's an awesome idea. . . Gooooood doggie!!!

http://www.reelfilm.com/images/cujo.jpg

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 18:12
http://www.puppydogweb.com/gallery/dachshunds/dachshund_darci.jpg

Hoop
03-01-2009, 18:14
Pulling for you.

Footslogger
03-01-2009, 18:15
========================

That has been a positive part of my recovery !

'Slogger

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 18:17
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/vAxcoJjGforJYYmCPtCpBw251087/GW810H630

TOW
03-01-2009, 18:19
I know one thing Sally my dog loves LW, I sure would lend her to him and she is already house broken and keeps a low profile while in the house.........

Man this thread is a testament of the love of a good guy!

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 18:20
Lone Wolf needs a therapy dog.

TOW
03-01-2009, 18:21
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/vAxcoJjGforJYYmCPtCpBw251087/GW810H630
Gee whiz that scared me to "life" because I was posting at the same time and instead of my post coming up this thing pops up out of nowhere!

SGT Rock
03-01-2009, 18:23
http://www.surlybrewing.com/images/uploads/dog
This would be a better therapy dog for Lone Wolf. Also a new beer brand just for him.

BumpJumper
03-01-2009, 18:26
Well, doesnt this just suck. Get well!

SouthMark
03-01-2009, 18:29
Cannonball, this is from Medline:
(http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002953.htm)
"Arteries can become narrowed or blocked by deposits called plaque. Plaque is made up of fat and cholesterol that builds up on the inside of the artery walls. This condition is called atherosclerosis (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000171.htm).

If the blockage is not too severe, an angioplasty procedure can be used to open the artery. Traditional angioplasty involves the use of a balloon catheter -- a small, hollow, flexible tube that has a balloon near the end of it.

Before the balloon angioplasty procedure begins, you will be given some pain medicine. Occasionally, blood thinning medicines are also given to prevent formation of a blood clot.

You will lie down on a padded table. The health care provider will make a small cut on your body, usually near the groin, and insert the catheter into an artery. You will be awake during the procedure.

The health care provider will use x-rays to look at your heart and arteries. Dye will be injected into your body to highlight blood flow through the arteries. This helps reveal any blockages in the vessels leading to the heart. The balloon catheter is moved into or near the blockage, and the balloon on the end is blown up (inflated). This opens the blocked vessel and restores proper blood flow to the heart.

In some cases, a device called a stent (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002303.htm) is also placed at the site of narrowing or blockage in order to keep the artery open. A common type of stent is made of self-expanding, stainless steel mesh."

That's it exactly. Been there four times.

High Life
03-01-2009, 18:29
I know one thing Sally my dog loves LW, I sure would lend her to him and she is already house broken and keeps a low profile while in the house.........

Man this thread is a testament of the love of a good guy!

I miss your dog ,wanderer.. i may have to swing by soon

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 18:31
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/z5toCO2P01nusBO4L2_ToQ257643/GW294H218

Jeremy
03-01-2009, 18:36
I only met Lone Wolf a couple of times, and he probably doesn't remember me, (i mean he meets alot of people, i'm sure) but I wish him the best. My dad suffered a heart attack as well, had a triple bypass,and he's still kickin' it at 62 years old. Lone Wolf is a tuff dude and he can make it. I wish you both the best, hang in there and know that there are tons of people pulling for him.

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 18:41
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/previews/945/60023032.JPG

GGS2
03-01-2009, 18:54
G&LW, hang tough. Sounds like he wasn't down for long enough to do too much bad stuff. Therapy and recovery will do the trick.

Rock and the collection takers: I think Wolf and Gypsy can decide on the dog and stuff. What I bet they will need is some cash to tide them over while LW is doing time instead of beating the bushes for spare cash. Take a collection and just give it to them. Slip it to Gypsy so LW won't have to try to refuse it.

Furlough
03-01-2009, 18:55
http://www.clipartof.com/images/clipart/xsmall2/20957_partying_dog_drinking_a_beer_from_a_setin_at _oktoberfest.jpg

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 18:58
http://www.dogfacts.org/Mackenzie-River-Husky-dog-pictures.jpg

TOW
03-01-2009, 19:06
http://www.surlybrewing.com/images/uploads/dog
This would be a better therapy dog for Lone Wolf. Also a new beer brand just for him.My Sally has got that dog beat, she knows how to drink good Merlot, a wine that even LW likes........

TOW
03-01-2009, 19:09
I miss your dog ,wanderer.. i may have to swing by soon
And she misses you as well bro, come on down!

Sailor (The other one)
03-01-2009, 19:13
I'm prayin' for you, LW.
Get back here quick so I can disagree with you about LNT some more. Otherwise life will be way too boring without you.

Tennessee Viking
03-01-2009, 19:16
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/previews/945/60023032.JPG
Good choice goes with the beard

beeman
03-01-2009, 19:16
Lone WOlf, I only know you from WB and I too wish you a speedy recovery. My family and I will include you in our prayers now every night until you are recovered. Get well soon!

High Life
03-01-2009, 19:21
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/0/2/5/1347817525_23c6c4aea7_b_original.jpg

After Finding Gyspy's umm ..Bandana ..lone Wolf Bought me McDonalds :)
Thanks Buddy

PS : only wanderer its only a matter of time .. I've been a little nervous to come back
but trail gravity ..i'm helpless and i will walk again

deadhorsejoe
03-01-2009, 19:22
Hang in there Wolf. My dad has had 8 cardiac vessels bypassed in two different operations (10 years apart) and he is still going strong at 84. I believe he gets stronger after each procedure. We will keep you in our prayers.

bigcranky
03-01-2009, 19:33
Great photo, High Life.

High Life
03-01-2009, 19:42
Great photo, High Life.

hey thanks , cranky ...

Chaco Taco
03-01-2009, 19:47
And she misses you as well bro, come on down!

Wak and I played with your dog for a sec this past Tuesday. We didnt knock because we didnt wann adisturb you. I guess the same goes for Wolf. We just stopped in town for a couple of hours

Blissful
03-01-2009, 19:57
Just came on and saw this. Wow.

My aunt had this surgery a few years back and she is doing good. But has to be careful about diet and exercise. They can do wonders with the heart. I used to love cardiac nursing, it was my favorite.

But anyway, Lone Wolf and Gypsy, take the best of care. Thinking of you two. :)

bullseye
03-01-2009, 19:58
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Lone Wolf. I'm in for a coupla bucks on the trekking pole fund:rolleyes:.

TOW
03-01-2009, 20:25
Wak and I played with your dog for a sec this past Tuesday. We didnt knock because we didnt wann adisturb you. I guess the same goes for Wolf. We just stopped in town for a couple of hours
You come and play with my dog, you knock on my door you hear?! If she is outside I most likely will be inside because I hardly go anywhere without her.

Ever let that happen again, I won't feed you guys anymore chitlin's!

fiddlehead
03-01-2009, 20:26
Good luck my friend.

Maybe Gypsy can read this one for ya:

"Hear the lark and harken to the barking of the dog fox gone to ground.
See the splashing of the kingfisher flashing to the water.
And a river of green is sliding unseen beneath the trees,
Laughing as it passes through the endless summer making for the sea."

Get well soon Lone Wolf.

Press
03-01-2009, 20:30
Never met you but enjoy Wolf's posts here. Best of luck to you both! Carry on.

Ranc0r
03-01-2009, 20:38
Best wishes for a most speedy recovery, Lone Wolf!

Gypsy, do yourself a favor and tie that ole dog up to a good stout tree while he heals, then don't let him run too far until the Docs tell him to get out and leave the nursing staff alone.

Healing energy and strength to you both, from Ranc0r and Matrika in Ohio.

Toolshed
03-01-2009, 20:44
Hey LW - Bene out for the weekend and just hearing the news. God bless and a speedy recovery. I am glad to hear you seem to be pulling through well. apoistive Mental Attitude makes a huge difference. I Had aortic valves replaced a couple of times and it might be a little tough with the down time afterwards, but patience will pull you through!!
Cheers
Toolshed

prain4u
03-01-2009, 20:53
LW and Gypsy,
My prayers are going out to you folks for LW's speedy recovery.

ChinMusic
03-01-2009, 20:58
I just heard about this one my way home from a trip in Indiana. Best of wishes to you LW to come back stronger than ever.

Mrs Baggins
03-01-2009, 21:08
Please please please pass on my prayers and wishes for many blessings to Lone Wolf. We've had our (pretty nasty) disagreements but I want so much to meet him and buy him a beer and bury our differences. Please God he recovers and is back on his feet soon. Please let him know that Please..

Mrs Baggins

mindi
03-01-2009, 21:13
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Lone Wolf!

:) Sugargrits

maxNcathy
03-01-2009, 21:30
Thinking of You, Lone Wolf.
Blessings to You and Gypsy.
Sandalwood

Hoop Time
03-01-2009, 21:57
Add Cookie Monster and myself to what is becoming a very long list of well wishers hoping for LW's speedy recovery. The outpouring of support here pretty much shows you what kind of a guy he is. They say you can't keep a good man down, and if that is true, LW will be back on the trail in no time.

mrc237
03-01-2009, 22:13
Just got off the phone with the Wolf, he's recovering nicely and should be his ownself before we all know it. Gypsy is doing fine and all the outpouring of love and concern is a blessing. Remember this LW is young and strong and this is a minor setback that I'm sure he'll recover from with ease.

gypsy
03-01-2009, 22:16
Thank you all so much for your gracious and moving comments. We are so blessed to have good folks around us. I just got home from the hospital and Wolf is doing great. He's walking around a little, eating, and tomorrow they are going to move him to a regular room. Thanks so much for the prayers.
Much Love,
Gypsy

rainmaker
03-01-2009, 22:21
Follow the Doctor's orders and get better. Our thoughts are with you and Gypsy.
Ma & Pa Rainmaker

tomman
03-01-2009, 22:26
Gypsy,

Tell Lone Wolf I wish him a rapid recovery. My prayers are with him.

I had the same open heart surgery less than a year ago and it is very sore for a few days but you soon get over it. Tell him to walk as much as possible in the hospital as that will get him back in good shape much faster and get him back home sooner.

Tomman

The Weasel
03-01-2009, 22:42
LW has my prayers, and, as one who had a triple bypass 19 months before my AT thru attempt (a, I know that there are (and for him, will be!) great results (and they stays with you, as my 1000' climb straight up a local hill and related several miles of hiking today shows). Gypsy and all of his friends and familty have my prayers and thoughts, too.

Ramble~On
03-01-2009, 22:55
What the...... No worries! the man's a Marine!

Semper Fi LW! ~ take 24 hours light duty, a Motrin and we'll see you at formation 0530 Tuesday for PT.

Desert Reprobate
03-01-2009, 23:13
To paraphrase the man, "It's only heart surgery"

Petr
03-01-2009, 23:16
A few thoughts here:

1. I said earlier that I'm looking forward to my thru-hike next year and part of that was that I WAS looking forward to meeting Wolf and buying him a beer. I'd like to amend that to I AM looking forward to buying him a beer. My bad.

2. I'm typically skeptical of internet "relationships," but, even though I've never met Wolf or even PM'ed him, he's been a huge part of my inspiration to drop the rest of my life/future career for a few months and simply go for a "walk." 'Cause, after all, "it's really just walking."

3. To expand upon #2 above, this outpouring of concern for a man who is essentially a stranger to most of us has me feeling really...special, I guess... about this community of people that I've stumbled upon at a time in my life where I felt like I needed some support. Not that we should all fellate (or whatever the female equivalent is) ourselves for giving a crap, but I'm just enjoying the fact that there's a small corner of the world that still cares enough about strangers suffering to broadcast heartfelt concern and offerings of help in times of difficulty. It doesn't sound like much, but I have seen friends and family do a lot less for people in trouble over the last couple of years and it's revitalizing my spirit to be a part of something different.

I swear I'm not usually known to spout inane hippy crap: I've apparently been moved by the LW's plight. Thanks for putting up with me. And, Wolf, I AM going to buy you that beer (even if I have to drink it myself).

Peter

freefall
03-01-2009, 23:25
Best Wishes to Lone Wolf and to Gypsy. May all prognosis be good!

ki0eh
03-01-2009, 23:26
Here's one more well wish from another of the many recipients of your generosity. Easy to wear out a big heart I guess. Get well soon!

Kerosene
03-01-2009, 23:41
Sorry there buddy, I knew about the chest pains but I didn't know there was that much blockage. Glad to hear that you're doing well and hope to see you back soon.

Here's a recovery story if you need one to get you back on the trail:

Four years ago I'm playing a soccer game and one of our better players starts to make several really dumb plays towards the end of a tight game. After the game he's feeling really poorly, and I stick around and end up driving him home. Turns out he had a minor heart attack on the field and ended up with a double bypass and a pacemaker. He was back out on the field playing within the year, although of course he follows a much better diet now.

Take it slow, get your strength back, avoid the fried stuff at Dot's, and get back out to enjoy the wonderful country you live in. Best wishes.

ARambler
03-01-2009, 23:41
Best wishes to Lone Wolf and Gypsy.
Rambler

Frau
03-01-2009, 23:42
Godspeed, LW!

Frau

WILLIAM HAYES
03-01-2009, 23:56
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 00:02
Some of our boys (Hooch and Bearpaw) drove over there to check on Wolf and Gypsy. Hooch is a nurse and has worked cardiac...

Wolf is looking very good in Hooch's professional opinion. Sitting up and talking, being his old self. He will probably be in the hospital a few days - he estimated about 5. After that he probably won't be hiking again right away. Gypsy was going home to get some rest. I bet she needs it.

Hooch and Bearpaw are staying local tonight and checking in again tomorrow.

Bulldawg
03-02-2009, 00:14
Thank you all so much for your gracious and moving comments. We are so blessed to have good folks around us. I just got home from the hospital and Wolf is doing great. He's walking around a little, eating, and tomorrow they are going to move him to a regular room. Thanks so much for the prayers.
Much Love,
Gypsy

Gypsy,

So thrilled to hear Wolf is doing so well so soon. There have been too many prayers and good vibes going up for him today for him not to make a speedy recovery! I was looking forward to hanging with him in Georgia some this spring, but we'll just have to wait until 2010. He'll probably be hiking circles around all of us by then. I hope his recovery continues it's speedy path and he is good as new in no time. Tell him ole 'dawg says "****ing A man"!!

Lilred
03-02-2009, 00:19
DAMN!! Been working all day, but got that text message around 2. Glad to hear you're doing better Wolf, follow doc's rules and I'm sure you'll be better than ever soon. You're both in my prayers, and 11 pages of well wishes in one day surely testifies to how much you're loved. May God bless you both.

Tinker
03-02-2009, 00:37
I just read this one, Gypsy. I can hardly type. Lone Wolf is a fellow Rhode Islander and I've enjoyed his spirited and straightforward responses to fellow Whiteblazers on this site. My prayers are with him (and with you). Take care.

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2009, 01:07
If anyone is interested, Wellmont Bristol Medical Center has an online greeting card service. If you want to send get well wishes to Lone Wolf, you can visit: http://www.wellmont.org/wellwishes/default.aspx

Fill it out the form to Lone Wolf (or his real world name) at Bristol Medical Center.

camojack
03-02-2009, 01:16
A few thoughts here:

1. I said earlier that I'm looking forward to my thru-hike next year and part of that was that I WAS looking forward to meeting Wolf and buying him a beer. I'd like to amend that to I AM looking forward to buying him a beer. My bad.

2. I'm typically skeptical of internet "relationships," but, even though I've never met Wolf or even PM'ed him, he's been a huge part of my inspiration to drop the rest of my life/future career for a few months and simply go for a "walk." 'Cause, after all, "it's really just walking."

3. To expand upon #2 above, this outpouring of concern for a man who is essentially a stranger to most of us has me feeling really...special, I guess... about this community of people that I've stumbled upon at a time in my life where I felt like I needed some support. Not that we should all fellate (or whatever the female equivalent is) ourselves for giving a crap, but I'm just enjoying the fact that there's a small corner of the world that still cares enough about strangers suffering to broadcast heartfelt concern and offerings of help in times of difficulty. It doesn't sound like much, but I have seen friends and family do a lot less for people in trouble over the last couple of years and it's revitalizing my spirit to be a part of something different.

I swear I'm not usually known to spout inane hippy crap: I've apparently been moved by the LW's plight. Thanks for putting up with me. And, Wolf, I AM going to buy you that beer (even if I have to drink it myself).

Peter
If I could "fellate myself"...I'd never leave my room. :D

Jan LiteShoe
03-02-2009, 01:24
Aw man, late to this party and just glad it is turning out well.
Geez. What a thing. Trying to pull a "Clyde" there.

Lay off the bacon for a bit, and gain in strength daily. Hugs to Gypsy, I know that had to be frightening for the both of you.

Bulldawg
03-02-2009, 01:31
If anyone is interested, Wellmont Bristol Medical Center has an online greeting card service. If you want to send get well wishes to Lone Wolf, you can visit: http://www.wellmont.org/wellwishes/default.aspx

Fill it out the form to Lone Wolf at Bristol Medical Center.

Sent, thank for the info!

zoidfu
03-02-2009, 01:32

Fill it out the form to Lone Wolf at Bristol Medical Center.

So you can just send it to Lone Wolf and not his real name?

greentick
03-02-2009, 01:33
Prayers for LW and Gypsy!

greentick
03-02-2009, 01:35
So you can just send it to Lone Wolf and not his real name?

It's easy....

First name Lone
Last name Wolf

Like in the army, your bosses first name is Sergeant.:D

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2009, 01:36
So you can just send it to Lone Wolf and not his real name?If you know his real name, then send it as that. But 'Lone Wolf' should do the trick.

zoidfu
03-02-2009, 01:43
If you know his real name, then send it as that. But 'Lone Wolf' should do the trick.

Gotcha, thanks.

Sent.

JDCool1
03-02-2009, 01:44
Lone Wolf, "What a revolting development this is!" My prayers are for your healling and for Gypsy's strength. God bless and keep you my Trail Days friend.

sam4msu
03-02-2009, 02:46
Wolf has always been there so often for so many of us, I guess this is our opportunity to repay the debt. Gypsy, please let us know if there is anything needed.

superman
03-02-2009, 04:07
I got home from a funeral at 8:45 PM of a friend who died of a heart attack . Thomas Shea had the DSC, two silver stars, PH and more. Heart attacks suck...get better soon LW.

mweinstone
03-02-2009, 07:17
left love on gypsyas cell and some on the house phone. sorry bout the dump i took on the barbaque. i didnt want you useing it sept fer fish and veggies. so i thaught you might get a new one without greese and stuff on it and so i used the old one to crap in cause you werent home and i couldnt break in easy but i would have if i was hungeryer. xoxoxoxoxmatty.me and the paw may come. not that we dont , regularly. its just that we may come. .

mweinstone
03-02-2009, 07:26
wolf? wanna butt rub? it must hurt.

wrongway_08
03-02-2009, 07:42
Really late to the party but glad its turning out good for you Lone Wolf. Hope you get your arse back on WB soon buddy .... Personally, I think you just couldnt take the heat here and needed some time away .......:D!

Get well soon, your in my prayers! :)

Gray Blazer
03-02-2009, 08:12
Just heard the news. Hope you are feeling better. Not the same w/o you around here on WB.

T-Dubs
03-02-2009, 08:35
Hope things go well and LW is back on his feet soon.
Speedy recovery!

Groucho
03-02-2009, 08:35
All the best for you LW!

Ender
03-02-2009, 08:49
Just reading this... best wishes to LW for a swift and full recovery! My thoughts are with you and Gypsy and your families. Take care, and I hope you feel better soon!

Chatter
03-02-2009, 09:06
I just read this one, Gypsy. I can hardly type. Lone Wolf is a fellow Rhode Islander and I've enjoyed his spirited and straightforward responses to fellow Whiteblazers on this site. My prayers are with him (and with you). Take care.

Ditto that to Gypsy and LW from the other side of RI (only a few miles from Tinker). While I haven't met you yet, LW, I always read your posts. They're always short and to the point, not to mention provocative. :eek:

Do you remember suggesting "Duffy's Tavern and Restaurant" to Tinker? We ate there a few weeks ago with our better halves and it was definitely a Road House, Rhode Island style. We'll give you a full review when you get back in shape and geared up for some authentic seafood and brew.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

nitewalker
03-02-2009, 09:15
im just finding out this news about brother lonewolf and as i sit here trying to gather my thoughts a tear falls from my eye. as stated previously by some other caring whiteblazers we may not have met you but we all feel the same way about you lonewolf. your a man of many words, some good and some not so good however your still one of the good guys. lonewolf, i wish you a speedy recovery and gypsy keep your spirits hi and things will work out for both of you....this is just one more mountain that the both of you need to climb, so keep climbing......:sun

nitewalker:sun

sheepdog
03-02-2009, 09:44
Continued prayers and best wishes for a speady recovery.

camojack
03-02-2009, 09:45
I just got off the phone with the boy; he's in pretty good spirits, it sounds like.

He's a tough guy...he'll be fine.

Two Speed
03-02-2009, 10:22
Late to the party and kinda in a rush this morning, but wanted to add my wishes for a speedy recovery. Wolf, take care and do what your doctor tells ya.

cannonball
03-02-2009, 10:38
Cannonball,

I'm guessing that LW had an intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) in him to help him get through this critical period. It works by timing itself to the heart rate: when the heart contracts to send blood to the rest of the body, it deflates, allowing blood to pass through the aorta (the largest artery in the body that feeds everything else) to get oxygen to the brain and everything else, and when the heart is relaxed it inflates. The second phase is complicated (see below if interested), but the upshot is that by inflating it sends more blood (and oxygen) to the heart while a person is having a heart attack.

Probably more technical than is worthwhile, especially since this thread is about having Gypsy and Wolf in our thoughts/prayers, but I can't help myself (and understanding what's going on helps some patients cope better):

The coronary arteries that feed the heart are unlike any other arteries in the body in that they have maximum bloodflow when the heart is relaxed (i.e. not pushing blood out); the reason for this is that when the heart is squeezing blood out by contracting, it also squeezes shut all the vessels that feed the heart's muscle tissue. Our body's way of getting around this is to harness the "backpressure" in the arterial system; as soon as the heart is done squeezing blood into the body, a valve closes preventing the backpressure from re-entering the heart in a backwards direction. Our body's strategically place the coronary arteries right outside of these valves, taking advantage of the backpressure and piping blood (and oxygen) to the heart muscle tissue while it's relaxed. So, the simple genius of the IABP is that while it sucks blood forward into the aorta by deflating and creating negative pressure when the heart is squeezing (thus oxygenating the peripheral tissues/organs), it also forces blood and oxygen back into the heart tissue when the heart isn't squeezing, preventing heart muscle tissue death. It's a bad@ss gadget which has prevented a lot of mortality and morbidity.

Peter

Thanks for the education. I was operating from another mind set. In my case I did not actually have a heart attack. My arteries were too crooked and bent to put stints in. I had to have by pass as a preventative measure as I was headed" for the big one".
Perhaps thats why I missed out on the balloon experience.

LW, serious business- in a week or so your emotions are going to be all over the place. You will feel like you went from being a roaring lion to a meek little kitty. This is all normal and will pass even though you think you are "loosing it". Cry when you have to, admit your physically vulnerable, and ask the doc's to put you in cariac rehab. If you can, get up with some folks who have been through this. Gypsy seems like a top shelf women but you need to be able to relate to others who have walked the trail you are on now.Hell, pm me when you get home and I'll "talk ya throufg" if you choose.
Lastly, it may seem odd right now but let me advise you not to come through this with out it paying off somehow. You will get what I mean in a few months.;)

D'Artagnan
03-02-2009, 10:40
Dang! Just got in to the office this morning and checking for updates on WB and this is what I find.

I hate this happened but it sounds like you're in good hands. If there is anything you guys need, just shout. You know we're all here for you!

Waterfall
03-02-2009, 10:58
Glad to hear you're better, LW. Keep improving, and I hope to see you back on WB soon. You and Gypsy are in my thoughts and prayers.

The Solemates
03-02-2009, 11:08
get well wolf...you still got life to live

Footslogger
03-02-2009, 11:23
Today is the one year anniversary of my heart attack. I knocked out an extra mile on the treadmill this morning in honor of Lone Wolf !!

'Slogger

splash1986
03-02-2009, 11:48
Heart attacks suck. Get better Lone Wolf, WB wouldn't be the same without you.

Blissful
03-02-2009, 11:50
Hope you had a good night even though it is mega tough to get any rest at all in a hospital, ugh. Hope you can go home soon to rest. But thought about the both of you last night. Skipper and I said a prayer.

Jim Obermeyer
03-02-2009, 11:57
You'll need to give up bacon and beer and get hiking sticks and a cell phone. only kidding. Get well soon.

JAK
03-02-2009, 12:13
Try not laughing too much 'til they yank all the stitches out.

Thoughts and Prayers. Get well soon.

ChinMusic
03-02-2009, 12:30
Any prediction on when he makes his next post?

Woodstock 07
03-02-2009, 12:39
Hey Wolf,

Just got the news from Marit. I hope everything is going well and we are thinking about you. Take care of yourself man, the trail needs you out there.

Woodstock of the Where's Karl 08 adventure.

TOW
03-02-2009, 12:56
Just returmed from seein Wolf, I can't wait til Gypsy posts that pic of him and his beard. I had a good laugh, Gypsy and I both said he looked like he had one of them mutton chop type of beards. He took the ribbing in stride.......

Let me tell you something right now, if it wasn't for our Chief of Police, Bill Nunley, Wolf most likely would not be here. As it was they had to use electric on him twice to get his heart to beating right.

Man, it was good and emotional for me to see him. And I have never been shy about telling Wolf that I love him but today was the first time he looked me in the eye and told me he loved me too. We both had tears in our eyes.

I told him about all of you that were on here wishing him some love and healing, he was beside himself for that. He should be getting on here today sometime to let you know he is well and kicking after they move him to his own room.

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2009, 13:00
Great News!!!

Bulldawg
03-02-2009, 13:00
Just returmed from seein Wolf, I can't wait til Gypsy posts that pic of him and his beard. I had a good laugh, Gypsy and I both said he looked like he had one of them mutton chop type of beards. He took the ribbing in stride.......

Let me tell you something right now, if it wasn't for our Chief of Police, Bill Nunley, Wolf most likely would not be here. As it was they had to use electric on him twice to get his heart to beating right.

Man, it was good and emotional for me to see him. And I have never been shy about telling Wolf that I love him but today was the first time he looked me in the eye and told me he loved me too. We both had tears in our eyes.

I told him about all of you that were on here wishing him some love and healing, he was beside himself for that. He should be getting on here today sometime to let you know he is well and kicking after they move him to his own room.

That's great TOW!! Good to hear!

leeki pole
03-02-2009, 13:01
Haven't met you yet, LW, but I plan to in the near future. Get well soon, we already miss you around here. Prayers and best wishes to you and Gypsy. You'll be fine in no time.

peanuts
03-02-2009, 13:02
fantastic news!!!:banana:banana:banana

wakapak
03-02-2009, 13:02
Great News TOW!! Thanks for updating us!! Been thinking of them alot, glad to hear he is doing well!!

Alligator
03-02-2009, 13:04
I've been looking around for a hippy doll he can can kick around for exercise. I might even send him a box of Nature Burger for his first outing when he gets well. I know, I know it's bilious and all, but he's just going to have to watch his diet.

Alligator
03-02-2009, 13:06
And some tofu jerky. I'll probably have to make it with Mrs. Dash.

steve43
03-02-2009, 13:07
finally had a chance to check WB at lunch and....YIKES!... i'm glad to hear LW is doing better. i've had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times and can fully attest to his kindness and big heart.

LW, i'll be keeping you and gypsy in my prayers and thoughts... get well soon....fifo