PDA

View Full Version : REI Garage Sale

Jerk
03-01-2009, 11:11
So there is an REI garage sale next week. I have heard you can find some good deals, and I have also heard you have to deal with a lot of shopping maniacs. :eek:

For those that have been to these sales before, was it worth going to?

Thanks for your input.

bigcranky
03-01-2009, 11:32
Two rules:

1. Get there way early. Two or even four hours before it opens isn't too early. You want to be in the first 10-20 people.

2. Really know your gear -- brands, sizes, etc., that way you can decide quickly whether something is right for you. You can just start grabbing and hold onto stuff as you browse, too, but the actual gear goes very quickly.

3. It's all marked with an X in fabric marker, so you can't return it.

4. It's a complete and total zoo. But you can get decent bargains if you find stuff that fits and is in good shape. Be careful - some of the clothing has holes or tears.

bigcranky
03-01-2009, 11:33
Sorry I guess that was four rules....

shoe
03-01-2009, 11:49
I got a Thermarest Prolite 3 for $13.
My husband gets shoes there all the time for like 8 bucks.
And we got a Garmin GPS for 20 bucks.

Definitely get there early.
I am bummed that I missed the one at my store yesterday.

sliderule
03-01-2009, 12:13
I stumbled across one of those sales by chance. It was quite an eye-opener. The "pro's" grab everything they can carry as soon as the door opens. Then they find a spot in a quiet place to sort things out and determine if they really want to buy the stuff they grabbed up. I think it is safe to say that all the real "deals" were gone within two minutes of the doors opening.

Blissful
03-01-2009, 21:32
I stumbled across one of those sales by chance. It was quite an eye-opener. The "pro's" grab everything they can carry as soon as the door opens. Then they find a spot in a quiet place to sort things out and determine if they really want to buy the stuff they grabbed up. I think it is safe to say that all the real "deals" were gone within two minutes of the doors opening.

Well, that makes it so NOT worth it. I'll pass.

MintakaCat
03-01-2009, 22:43
I am bummed that I missed the one at my store yesterday.

If you're talking about the Atlanta store just off I-85, there was about a thousand other people there to take you're place. Yes, it was a zoo.

I've never been there early enough to find any real deals. I've had more success just keeping close tabs on their sales. A couple of months ago I got a couple of day packs that were marked down from $76 to $19.

Six-Six
03-02-2009, 12:14
I went to the Greensboro event last year, first time for me. Long line and the deals were grabbed within a few minutes by the first few dozen at the front of the line. You can probably get deals on clothes and shoes, but only if you are regular sizes. I am a tall guy with big feet and I didn't find a thing that made the trip or the standing in line worthwhile. I had already geared up with all new equipment anyway, so I didn't find a thing I didn't already have. I will spend my time watching the sales during the year and leave the yard sales to the short peoples. :)

Manwich
03-02-2009, 12:45
I guess these are store-specific sales? I couldn't find any information on the Marlton NJ store.

freakflyer9999
03-02-2009, 13:50
I just happened to show up at the REI garage sale in Dallas last year. It was several hours after they had opened, but there was still a lot of stuff left to choose from. There were a lot of people with their stashes scattered around the store going through stuff, setting up tents, etc.

I did notice that you had to look over everything very closely. There were a lot of items that were unuseable without substantial cost to repair/replace missing or broken parts.

It was definitely quite a zoo.

Kenny G.

SteveJ
03-02-2009, 18:21
Well, that makes it so NOT worth it. I'll pass.

5 or 6 years ago, I made it a point to show up at the Atlanta one on Claremont Ave. Got there early; was in line toward the front. Got in and got several things - best deal (only one I remember) was a just like new clip flashlight tent....as I recall it retailed for about $185 at the time, and I picked this one up for about $110.....I think I also was lucky enough to get a good deal on some trail shoes that fit, but not sure....

I guess, point is, you can get good deals if you understand that you need to be there early, be aggressive and grab everything you think you might want, then go sit down and go through your stuff.....

YoungMoose
03-02-2009, 18:26
too bad there isnt a REI near me

Blissful
03-02-2009, 20:34
too bad there isnt a REI near me

The Campmor store isn't far from you though, in Paramus.