PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 16:31
My girlfriend and I are at that odd stage where we aren't quite engaged, but we're talking about weddings and honeymoons and such.

We both like to hike and backpack, and we like the idea of a honeymoon near a trail, but staying at a place with modern plumbing seems best for a honeymoon, privacy is important, and it would be nice to have lots of options for what to do. It's likely to be in the middle of summer, so somewhere up high would be good.

We might well take off on the trail for a few days spontaneously, or we might decide to limit ourselves to day hiking.

Suggestions anyone?

Jonathan

Hikes in Rain
03-01-2009, 16:33
Cabin in or around Hot Springs, NC. Right on the train, up in the mountains, and on a Class II whitewater river.

MOWGLI
03-01-2009, 16:34
Go west young man. There is nowhere "up high" on the AT.

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2009, 16:35
Grayson Highlans State Park or the Roan Highlands.

Lots of good places to pitch a tent out of sight for a couple of days.

And congratulations!!

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 16:57
Cabin in or around Hot Springs, NC. Right on the train, up in the mountains, and on a Class II whitewater river.

Do you know any of these cabins? A cabin would make a lot of sense. These look like possibilities:

http://www.hotspringslogcabins.com/
http://www.hotspringstreehousecabins.com/
http://www.dancingsuncabins.com/

I'll have to check how close they are to the trail, but we'll have a car.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 16:58
Go west young man. There is nowhere "up high" on the AT.

Yeah, but I don't want to waste a lot of time getting there and back. We'll only have a week for this, wedding included.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 17:00
Grayson Highlans State Park or the Roan Highlands.

Lots of good places to pitch a tent out of sight for a couple of days.

And congratulations!!

Thanks!

Grayson Highlands is nice, probably more recreational possibilities in that area than just about anywhere else. I'll look into cabin rentals there - we've only camped so far.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 17:02
Oh, Roan Highlands was my first thought, I know the trails up there well, I know they have cabins with modern plumbing, and there are some nice B&Bs there too (Mountain Harbour is the one I've stayed at), but we might prefer a cabin for a honeymoon.

Jonathan

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2009, 17:10
An alternative to a cabin......spend a night at nearby Kincora Hostel and spend a night up in the treehouse. A very cool place to overnight!!

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 17:15
An alternative to a cabin......spend a night at nearby Kincora Hostel and spend a night up in the treehouse. A very cool place to overnight!!

Tell me about the treehouse - this is completely new to me!

Jonathan

modiyooch
03-01-2009, 17:16
What's wrong with Boone NC? You'll definately be UP there. You'll be in close proximity to Grandfather Mt, Mt to Sea trail, Damascus, Roan Mt, Beech Mt, Moses Cone, Parkway, Mt. Mitchell. The hikes would be endless.

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 17:27
What's wrong with Boone NC? You'll definately be UP there. You'll be in close proximity to Grandfather Mt, Mt to Sea trail, Damascus, Roan Mt, Beech Mt, Moses Cone, Parkway, Mt. Mitchell. The hikes would be endless.

Good suggestion! But ... one of my daughters lives there, I'm not sure I want to go to her home town for a honeymoon ;->

Jonathan

Hikes in Rain
03-01-2009, 17:38
Do you know any of these cabins? A cabin would make a lot of sense. These look like possibilities:

http://www.hotspringslogcabins.com/
http://www.hotspringstreehousecabins.com/
http://www.dancingsuncabins.com/

I'll have to check how close they are to the trail, but we'll have a car.

Jonathan

I'm sorry, I don't, but they look really charming! I'd guess you couldn't go too wrong with them. Bring groceries, cook for her, she'll love it.

Another option I don't know why I didn't think of: http://www.watershedcabins.com/

These are in and around Bryson City, and I've been a repeat customer for years with these folks. They cost a bit more, but heavens, they're worth it. High class, ultra luxury cabins.

McKeever
03-01-2009, 19:31
Depends are what month you want to take off on for your honey moon. Keep all options open including Nepal, Scotland, and New Zealand. On the domestic side, Colorado trail is stunning and way up high up and some of the trail towns like Leadville have private hostels. You can hike Mt. Elbert. For the AT, Gatlinburg has wedding chapels if you want to hike in the Smokey's and stay in town some. You can make arrangement to hike up to LaContelodge.com and stay there a night or two. The easiest place to base hiking with private rooms would be Gatlinburg.

Blissful
03-01-2009, 20:13
I would not honeymoon in the south in the middle of summer unless the cabin had AC. It's buggy, humid, and hot.

McKeever
03-01-2009, 20:47
It blows snow on Klingsmans dome year round. Gatlinburg can be very mild in summer. I guess it depends on the weather pattern we might get stuck with this year if the dought hits again.

Cabin Fever
03-01-2009, 21:12
It blows snow on Klingsmans dome year round. Gatlinburg can be very mild in summer. I guess it depends on the weather pattern we might get stuck with this year if the dought hits again.

I would not go anywhere near Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in the summer. It is probably the biggest tourist trap in the eastern United States. The traffic is terrible. You can hear motorcycles for 3 miles trail north of Newfound Gap.

Bootstrap
03-01-2009, 22:05
I would not go anywhere near Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in the summer. It is probably the biggest tourist trap in the eastern United States. The traffic is terrible. You can hear motorcycles for 3 miles trail north of Newfound Gap.

Yeah, I agree ... I drive by that place on the way to my parents ...

Jonathan

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 18:04
Bootstrap:

The treehouse is THE place to stay at Kincora. I helped Bob pick the spot and prepare the ground (i.e. ripped/cut everything outta there). Bob built it all by himself. Imagine a small bedroom, double bed with lots of quilts, several windows........20 feet up a tree, with a tree coming thru the deck! With a great tin roof, too, so it's a crazy place to be in a big rainstorm. Anyway, it's THE place to stay when you're at Kincora, just ask Bob when you get there, I'm not sure he takes reservations!!

rjohns94
03-02-2009, 20:57
peak of otter lodge in ?bedford va.

JDCool1
03-02-2009, 23:00
The Len Foote Hike Inn north of Amicola Falls State Park, Georgia would be a fun place, www.hike-inn.com (http://www.hike-inn.com). Other possibilities would be the various lodges in Shenandoah National Park. All would be close to trails for daytime hikes and provide a comfortable place for overnight. Another possibility would be to check out the Bed and Breakfast listings for Damascus and vicinity. Goodluck and have fun.

McKeever
03-04-2009, 16:50

The guy was asking about a quick wedding, town services, and up high, hiking (rules out Kincora). Gatlinburg is not big enough to have truly bad traffic, only cruising, and has all three and is a good base for hiking into the Smokey's, that is unless the Rev. Bob now does weddings! Not a bad service to add to Kincora! Helen GA is less crowded but the hiking can get tough.

skinewmexico
03-04-2009, 17:08
My girlfriend and I are at that odd stage where we aren't quite engaged, but we're talking about weddings and honeymoons and such.

That is an odd stage. Didn't do that one.

notorius tic
03-04-2009, 17:12
I agree Bonne or Banner Elk are Fanstastic places, You could go up to Blowing Rock an test your faith<: . Pretty especialy in the fall.:sun

McKeever
03-04-2009, 17:34
Anyone riden the steam train around Cherokee? What about basing out of Cherokee and going up into the Smokeys from the S.E.?

Frick Frack
03-04-2009, 18:06
My wife & I married on Springer and hiked to Franklin, NC for our honeymoon. We stayed at the Henson Cove B&B in Hiawassee two nights and did a day of slack packing between Unicoi Gap and Dicks Creek Gap. It was October though and the weather was perfect. If it is summer and you wish for more amenities I would go to Asheville, NC. Excellent places to eat, excellent cycling, excellent hiking, kayaking....all within moments of Asheville. You can find rental cabins all around the area at fairly good rates (esp now that times are tough). The Pisgah Inn is cool (on top of Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway). We did a supported bike ride on the BRP in July a few years ago and it was very cool up there . When we briefly lived in Asheville we constantly met couples out hiking/biking doing the very same thing as you are planning. If you wish to stay around the AT go to Hot Springs...our favorite trail town on the AT. It is romantic and there are plenty of activities to get involved in.

McKeever
03-04-2009, 18:30
Married on Springer, now that's style.

the goat
03-04-2009, 18:43

We both like to hike and backpack, and we like the idea of a honeymoon near a trail, but staying at a place with modern plumbing seems best for a honeymoon, privacy is important, and it would be nice to have lots of options for what to do. It's likely to be in the middle of summer, so somewhere up high would be good.

We might well take off on the trail for a few days spontaneously, or we might decide to limit ourselves to day hiking.

Suggestions anyone?

Jonathan

for a honeymoon, i recommend:
- fullhardt knob shelter, near troutville, va
- deep gap shelter in ga

i do not recommend:
- no business knob shelter, near erwin

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 18:49
- deep gap shelter in ga

i do not recommend:
- no business knob shelter, near erwin

Phone sex in the Telephone Pioneers Shelter in NY? Just sayin'. :sun

the goat
03-04-2009, 18:58
Phone sex in the Telephone Pioneers Shelter in NY? Just sayin'. :sun

nice one!

or perhap a nice cozy night up at beaver brook?:D

(have we crossed the line yet?)

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 19:10
nice one!

or perhap a nice cozy night up at beaver brook?:D

(have we crossed the line yet?)

Aren't we both Moderators? :eek:

McKeever
03-04-2009, 19:23

That's where the Queen of England lives.

kolokolo
03-04-2009, 19:25
My wife and I stayed last year at the CrippleCreek cabins near Wytheville, VA. We had our own cabin, and the owner brings breakfast to you. Cabin has a very large indoor hot tub. We enjoyed it very much.

You can check it out at

http://www.cripplecreekcabins.com/

the goat
03-04-2009, 19:30
Aren't we both Moderators? :eek:

poor role models, i tell you.....:D

Bootstrap
03-04-2009, 23:01
That is an odd stage. Didn't do that one.

We didn't intend to. Then my father got cancer, and we started moving faster than we would have otherwise. We've been dating for 3 years and were drifting toward marriage, we're now doing pre-engagement counselling with the pastor who will probably marry us, but we're also planning the wedding .... things are a little out of sequence for us right now, but we want to know that my father will still be healthy when we have the wedding.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
03-04-2009, 23:01
The guy was asking about a quick wedding, town services, and up high, hiking (rules out Kincora). Gatlinburg is not big enough to have truly bad traffic, only cruising, and has all three and is a good base for hiking into the Smokey's, that is unless the Rev. Bob now does weddings! Not a bad service to add to Kincora! Helen GA is less crowded but the hiking can get tough.

Oh, the wedding part we have covered, we'll be doing that in our local church.

And some of these cabins people are recommending look great! (But I'll steer clear of Gatlinburg ;-> )

Jonathan

Rain Man
03-05-2009, 12:31
My wife and I did our 30th anniversary at Mountain Magnolia Inn in Hot Springs, NC. I'd go back.

Mountain Magnolia Inn (http://www.mountainmagnoliainn.com)

May sound trite, but I'd say don't get too caught up in the Where, it's the Who that is important, and you're going to be with her.

Rain:sunMan

DaleTr
03-05-2009, 14:18
Crabtree Falls Campground in Tyro,Va. About 1 mile off the AT. $50.00 for a cabin. Many awesome day hike trailheads within 4 miles. Cabins right on the Tye River. Best cabin experience I have ever experienced.

Bootstrap
03-06-2009, 12:40
My wife and I did our 30th anniversary at Mountain Magnolia Inn in Hot Springs, NC. I'd go back.

Mountain Magnolia Inn (http://www.mountainmagnoliainn.com)

May sound trite, but I'd say don't get too caught up in the Where, it's the Who that is important, and you're going to be with her.

Now there's a nice thought! ;->

Jonathan

Bootstrap
03-06-2009, 13:28
Crabtree Falls Campground in Tyro,Va. About 1 mile off the AT. $50.00 for a cabin. Many awesome day hike trailheads within 4 miles. Cabins right on the Tye River. Best cabin experience I have ever experienced.

Looks nice - but perhaps a little spartan for a honeymoon? Doesn't look like they have air conditioning, for instance, which might be an issue in the middle of the summer. At least for a honeymoon ....

Jonathan

Gaiter
03-06-2009, 13:42
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the club that maintains Pennsylvania have cabins for renting, are they all rustic (i.e. w/o running water) or some other clubs may have cabins for renting, you can have your honey moon and support a maintenance club all in one

Bootstrap
06-25-2009, 18:22
Haven't been here for a while, but the wedding is definitely on for early August, and these suggestions will be very helpful ....

LIhikers
06-30-2009, 20:58
One year, when my wife and I finished a section hike in Boiling Springs, PA we stayed at the Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse. It's just a short ways down the road from the AT. You can check them out at http://www.allenberry.com/

dzierzak
07-06-2009, 13:29
The PATC, which maintains a chunk of the AT from RockFish Gap? to Duncannon? (I think), has cabins for member rental. Membership is only $40 for a couple. Most, if not all, require a hike in.

http://www.potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=194&Itemid=164

Chif
07-06-2009, 14:18
I will second the vote for Peaks of Otter Lodge near Bedford, Va. I stayed there on my honeymoon 17 years ago and several times since. Nice hiking trails, good restaurant, no TVs or phones in the rooms and right on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 14:23
his would be nice http://www.mountwashingtonresort.com/

karo
07-06-2009, 16:27
We were coming off the AT at Cloudlands on Roan Mt. when we encountered a wedding at the site of the old hotel. We quietly proceeded to our vehicle and as we were unpacking the couple came up to the car next to us. They had met there and it was the anniversary of their meeting at Cloudlands. Pretty cool, I thought. the wedding party was only a minister and another couple with them.