PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for Charity

Vagrant Squirrel
03-01-2009, 18:30
First of all, I am unaware if there is something like this already and if there is I would appreciate any information available.

The idea just came to me that while we are hiking for our own personal journey and enjoyment, there are others in the world who are in need of assistance. Why not combine the two and allow your personal journey to positively benefit the lives of others?

I was thinking about the March of Dimes or Walk for Life type events, where people who will be participating in the walks usually solicit donations from individuals and businesses. The donations usually follow the format where the donor pledges a certain amount of money for every mile walked or caps out at a maximum donation. Given that we will be enduring thousands of miles over rugged terrain, I can't think of a better way to help raise money for those in need.

I am leaving in the beginning of April, so I'm not sure how effective this will be given the short amount of time I have left. But it is something that I plan to look into ASAP and try to find a local charitable organization that I can team up with and then attempt to get some donor pledges.

The benefits of incorporating charity into your hike would be tremendous.
- You get to help those who are in need.
- It'll make your journey that much more meaningful.
- All of your hardships and triumphs can be shared with those who donated via your pictures and trail journal. This could easily be done by giving them a link to an online trail journal with photos, whether you update it as you hike or when you return.
- It exposes more people to the idea of hiking the AT and other LDH trails.

If anyone has any ideas or comments or has already done something like this, I would really love to hear about it.

Lillianp
03-01-2009, 18:42
I sadly don't know much, but I think I have HEARD of this happening before. Definitely find an organization, I would probably check on tax type documents as well-what if there are particular forms, especially for those who donate? Again, I don't know a thing about this, but those are the first questions that popped into my head.
Other than that, it sounds totally awesome and I would go for it if I were you. :)

High Life
03-01-2009, 18:42
well when i hiked in 07 there were two sobo's fiesta and siesta from TN.
there were raising money to build wells in africa . they sent out emails to donors along with pictures most of the way . im not quite sure about the amount raised . also in 2008
" the world expedition" started by Vagabond ( who is still walking someone in the south)
got himself sponsored by some gear making and walked the AT and around the USA
raising awareness for clean water more about Vagabond's journey can be found here
http://www.theearthexpedition.com/

generoll
03-01-2009, 19:42
seems to me that the best way for you to raise money for charity would be to forgo your hike and donate your salary to the charity of your choice

modiyooch
03-01-2009, 19:45
That's all well and noble, but I don't believe vs has a salary.

Magic Man
03-01-2009, 20:19
In 2007 Boo-Boo successfully raised some money for
her HAITI NURSING SCHOLARSHIP FUND
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=198472

Marta
03-01-2009, 20:58
There are quite a few hikers who do this every year. Jan Liteshoe raised money for hospice in 2003. Her TrailJournal was an important part of that effort. Because her TJ was well-written and popular, she was able to raise a significant amount of money.

Jeff Alt has done a couple of fund-raising and awareness-raising hikes--AT and JMT. He has written books about both efforts.

A couple of key points:

It's a lot more noble to ask for money if it is going directly to the charity, and not being used to fund your hike. One way to insure that there's no perception of you benefitting personally is to have the money go directly to the charity, and not have it run through your bank account.

Publicity is important, if you are to expand your fund-raising beyond your family and friends.

Anyway, good luck with your hike, whether it is for charity, or just for yourself.

generoll
03-01-2009, 21:35
In 2007 Boo-Boo successfully raised some money for
her HAITI NURSING SCHOLARSHIP FUND
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=198472

Any idea how much she raised? Was it more then she spent on her hike?

The Weasel
03-01-2009, 22:54
Every year there are quite a few people who propose to incorporate their thru with a charity, in a variety of ways, either by pledges per mile, publicity, or other ways. A few suggestions:

1) Keep the charity fundraising separate from your hike. Hearing about such things along trails gets sort of old. Most hikers have an agenda of some kind of their own, and hearing constantly about how someone is "helping the helpless" becomes less welcome than you might think.

2) Don't hit up other hikers for your charity. This is related to #1, but many hikers are on a tight budget or may be reluctant to pick your charity over ones of their own, and it can be uncomfortable for other hikers to say "no" when they don't want to say "yes."

3) Be careful about rationalizing "expenses" from the money that you generate. Be careful about charging any cost that you would have anyhow in a thru hike, since that can call into question your good intentions.

4) Have someone else handle the money collection and such things. You'll be too busy preparing for your hike.

It can be a great thing, if you're careful.

TW

George
03-01-2009, 23:07
I do not get the idea that someone should donate (pay) because you are out doing what you like if people want to get sponsored for a charity why don't they spend this time doing productive charity work instead of walking/running etc. that produces nothing if you want to hike, run, walk just do it don't hit up people for donations

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 23:12
I do not get the idea that someone should donate (pay) because you are out doing what you like if people want to get sponsored for a charity why don't they spend this time doing productive charity work instead of walking/running etc. that produces nothing if you want to hike, run, walk just do it don't hit up people for donations

agreed.

charity and an extended vacation are two separate and distinct things. raise money for charity some other way, some other time.

Desert Reprobate
03-01-2009, 23:32
A lot of times it is more about the publicity than the money. Bringing a cause to people's attention.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-01-2009, 23:33
Some very good points. The money should definitely be pledged and given directly to the charity by the donors. You're not looking for people to sponsor your trip for you... You're just trying to raise some money for those in need as an added bonus to a trip you we're already planning to take. I also agree that you should keep it separate from your hike and not bother other hikers about it. You'd probably be better off contacting local businesses in your area. Many of them have charitable donations factored into their budgets and if it's something that sounds interesting they just might bite. If you live in a small town/city, you might even be able to get the local paper to write a special interest piece and find donors that way.

Anyway, thinking about this more, I really don't think I'm going to have time to do it. I still need to get all of my gear and make other preparations for the trip. I'm doing everything sort of last minute as it is, so I'm not sure I can really handle adding a bunch of other tasks to my list. However, it was just a random idea that popped into my head and I decided to share it in case anyone found it worthwhile and would like to try it in their community.

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 23:42
A lot of times it is more about the publicity than the money. Bringing a couse to people's attention.

people attempting a thru are mostly trying to bring attention to themselves. do the charity thing another time ... when it is about the charity, not the hiker

sloopjonboswell
03-01-2009, 23:56
dreamer raised well over $10,000 for an area humane society. she got on the news a lot.

Tin Man
03-01-2009, 23:58
dreamer raised well over $10,000 for an area humane society. she got on the news a lot.

yep, all about the hiker. :)

buff_jeff
03-02-2009, 00:06
Everybody I've ever met hiking "for" charity has seemed to have a particularly blatant proclivity for seeking attention....:-?

Do it if you want, but please don't use the money to fund your hike, and don't be one of those guys (or groups of guys :rolleyes:) who goes out and asks on their websites or in person for money so they can continue their hike. These types of guys are out there...

dloome
03-02-2009, 00:30

This is generally my sentiment as well. Hike because you want to hike. If you want to raise money or help a good cause, you can do that too, separately- Probably far more effectively than you could by going on an extended backpacking vacation.

Though I realize that large scale events such as the 'Race for the Cure' or MS bicycle events can generate a tremendous amount of money for that cause, pretty much all individuals engaged in similar pursuits tends to ring hollow with me, particular when the pursuit and cause seem totally disjunct. (Let's say, hiking the AT and trying to raise money for Habitat for Humanity.) To me, it just seems that if you are genuinely and ultimately concerned with contributing to whatever, there are generally far more meaningful and effective ways you can get involved- Especially if your approach is incidental: Well, I'm going on this hike ANYWAY, so...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28024

Lilred
03-02-2009, 01:12
I think hiking for a charity is a good thing to do. Model-T hiked his last thru to raise money for a homeless shelter in Clarksville. He raised A LOT of money. And I seriously doubt that he did it 'for the attention'.

Tin Man
03-02-2009, 01:13
forgot the YMMV and the :) in my posts

Marta
03-02-2009, 07:53
Vagrant Squirrel--I suspect you're right about not needing to add another layer of complexity to your hike right now. A serious fund-raising effort adds a lot of pressure and a lot of work to a hike.

I think a lot of the above posters are being overly negative about hiking for a cause. I'm somewhat cynical myself, since we fairly regularly get questions on Whiteblaze from prospective raisers-of-funds who think it would be a great way to fund their hikes, and maybe, incidentally, throw the extra money towards the charity. But in the world outside Whiteblaze, an AT thru-hike is a big, unusual deal. It attracts people's attention. It can keep people's attention focused on your effort for a number of months, and generate a lot of excitement amongst non-hikers and would-be hikers. For causes that have trouble getting airtime and print-time, it can be valuable.

For the hiker, it adds quite a bit of pressure and work. Where most hikers just collapse at the end of the day, the fund-raising hiker often has to spend that extra effort to write their journal and get it out there so people can see how the hike is going. If they're lucky, they have interviews with local press as they pass through various towns.

buff_jeff
03-02-2009, 09:47
Maybe my post did sound like I was referring to all prospective and past charity hikers, but I didn't intend to denigrate the few (or many?) who have done it for the "right" reasons. I can only speak for the few that I've met in person.

righthike
07-21-2009, 13:58
I just stumbled across this thread on hiking as a charity. I wrote a chapter “Walking the Extra Mile” in my book “A Walk for Sunshine,” a reference for those seeking to hike as a charity. One point that has been stated by several hikers on this thread and I fully agree with is that a fundraiser should benefit a 401c non-profit. A fundraiser should not be implemented to pay for your hike. Getting professional sponsorship from equipment suppliers (i.e. free gear & supplies) is acceptable and standard practice for most charitable events. However, any and all money raised should go directly to the 401c. Giving a charitable donation is a tax write off because the money goes to a 401c.

Here are a few excerpts from my “Walking the Extra Mile” Chapter:

…Most nonprofit organizations are excited to receive extra funds, but they need advance notice and may need approval from a governing body regarding your proposal. Nonprofit organizations are continually conducting fundraisers and usually have a systematic process already in place to handle your special event…Separate Your Fundraiser from Your Expedition: The last place for advertisement is on the trail. Thank goodness! Whether your fundraiser is national or locally-based, keep the fundraiser off the trail. Every year, thousands of thru-hikers attempt the Appalachian Trail. If everyone began requesting funds on their journey, the friendly town folks along the way may become weary of hikers asking for handouts. Although I shared my goals with everyone I met, I conducted my fundraising activity in local Ohio communities, far removed from the Trail…
…The Appalachian Trail is a unit of the National Park system which has strict rules regarding fundraising within park boundaries that might supercede those of the federal forests and state parks and forest through which it passes. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC), the keepers of the Appalachian Trail, depend on donations and volunteers to function. As the steward of the Trail, ATC cannot endorse hikers walking the trail to raise funds primarily because it has no means to verify the fund-raisers, certify their accounting, or otherwise live up to the expectations that such an endorsement might suggest in the eyes of the general public. Please support the ATC in the following ways: 1.) become a member; 2.) donate to the ATC; & 3.) Become an ATC volunteer. For further information, see <www.appalachiantrail.org>.

I hope this is helpful. You can read the full chapter of “Walking the Extra Mile” in “A Walk for Sunshine.”

All the best in the great outdoors!

Jeff Alt
http://jeffalt.com

jfan
07-23-2009, 05:53
Any idea how much she raised? Was it more then she spent on her hike?

Why should that matter?

Jack Tarlin
07-23-2009, 16:18
Some great posts here, especially by Marta and Weasel, and they bear repeating:

*If you're doing a charity hike, keep your personal expenses ENTIRELY separate, and be prepared to pay for your hike on your own. Using charity money (i.e. donations from other individuals) to pay for your personal expenses while en route is beneath contempt, yet it happens every year. Donations or checks should be made out to the charity, always.

*By all means feel free to let folks know you're hiking for a cause, but never bang them over the head with this fact or attempt to guilt-trip people into contributing. The fact that one is hiking for a charity does not necessarily elevate anyone to sainthood, nor does it make their hike more noteworthy or "meaningful" than anyone else's; it also means that folks who aren't hiking for charity or those not interested in your pet cause are in any way "selfish."

People hiking for a cause should be aware that the vast majority of folks they'll meet while hiking also contribute their time and money to all sorts of charitable endeavors.

The difference is that the vast majority of folks elect not to advertise the fact.

Survivor Dave
07-23-2009, 16:38
Some great posts here, especially by Marta and Weasel, and they bear repeating:

*If you're doing a charity hike, keep your personal expenses ENTIRELY separate, and be prepared to pay for your hike on your own. Using charity money (i.e. donations from other individuals) to pay for your personal expenses while en route is beneath contempt, yet it happens every year. Donations or checks should be made out to the charity, always.

*By all means feel free to let folks know you're hiking for a cause, but never bang them over the head with this fact or attempt to guilt-trip people into contributing. The fact that one is hiking for a charity does not necessarily elevate anyone to sainthood, nor does it make their hike more noteworthy or "meaningful" than anyone else's; it also means that folks who aren't hiking for charity or those not interested in your pet cause are in any way "selfish."

This is understandable.
When I was a kid, we used to do the March Of Dimes walk for 20 miles. The way that worked was that folks would pledge so much per mile and at the end, you would collect money. Back then folks seemed more trustworthy to give cash hoping it would make it to the MOD. Today, most folks would give a check to the person hiking/walking and make it out directly to them.

Yes, there are a few who pledge and don't pony up which is shameful, but most honor their pledges.
At $.01 per mile its $21.78. Some folks would just right out donate a check in advance.

Is this a possibility for your charity?

I wouldn't go and do this after you start hiking as I believe it would interfere with YOUR hike.

As far as attracting attention, I think the low key on this might be best. I do however think that if there are folks that are knowledgeable of your venture, it will create awareness and possibly future donations.

Anne M
09-24-2010, 08:18
Hi Vagrant Squirrel

There is an organisation, www.DoItForCharity.com that allows you to join organised treks through some awesome places and either donate the money you’ve raised to the organising charity or to a charity of your choice. Hope you find it useful.

4eyedbuzzard
09-24-2010, 10:43
As long as you're completely funding your hike from personal funds, I can think of a lot of worse things to do. It does add a another layer of complexity to your hike though - pre, during, and post trip.

Lion King
09-24-2010, 13:20
A good way to do it is, as an example, put a thing on your website asking for people to donate to their local whatever (Never you personally) as you hike through...I did that with the AHA and some communiteis where I was on the news while on the ADT sent me emails saying thanks for the support and awareness.

This way you never have the donations in your hand, you dont get weird looks or backhanded questions about your motives.
My Dad died of heart problems, and he had military coverage etc...but a lot of families got **** and need the help.

If you do want a seperate link for personal donations make sure that is clear, aka "Feed a hungry hiker" button so it will never get confused with "DOnate to your local AHA" or whatever

HoorayCookies
01-25-2011, 15:35
I have to ask: If you're planning a big trip anyway, what's so terrible about adding a charitable component? Some of these responses sound as though the act of fundraising (provided you're not benefiting from it monetarily) is awful if not create for its own sake. I agree with most points: don't ask other hikers, don't lord it over others/brag/continually talk about it, don't do it to pay for your trip, etc. To many people, hiking the AT is a big event, not a simple run-of-the-mill vacation. It's also something that in itself is not productive (other than maybe taking yourself off the grid & unintentionally conserving fossil fuels for a few months); why not make it so? People receive a bit of attention for hiking the trail anyway; why not use that attention to garner some dollars (or whatever our currency may be) for a cause?

carpattack
01-25-2011, 15:52
Next year I will actually be thru hiking for a charity - Active Water, which started from Vagabond of Earth Expedition. I will be raising money (around $2 per mile) to build a well in Africa. Now I could save myself 6 months of not working and just cash in stock and donate that money to charity, but where is the adventure in that? Anyone donating will actually give directly to active water so they will only be supporting the building of the well and not my hotel and pizza fund. It is a simplified way to keep funds accountable. I think there is a cause that all of us hikers are passionate about and why not use our passion of hiking to help others. What a great way to make the adventure even more unforgettable knowing that not only did the hike change us, we made a tangible change to make the world a little bit better.