PDA

View Full Version : If I start the first week of May...

cupid
03-02-2009, 00:12
I am currently in college, and do not want to skip a semester so myself along with (maybe) 1 or 2 friends are planning to split the trail in half and do it in 2 summers back to back. I was just wondering how many (if any) thru or long distance hikers start out so late in the season going NOBO from Springer. Along with the socialization, what else would I be missing out on by starting early May? Thank you for your comments and opinions.

Yahtzee
03-02-2009, 00:15
You won't miss a thing. Plenty of people start early in May. Besides at 19, you'll catch a bunch early.

2 of my 3 starts were May 7 or later. I wouldn't start earlier.

All's good. Have fun.

Mask&Jono
03-02-2009, 00:16
im in college and leaving in may next year had the same question

cupid
03-02-2009, 00:24
im in college and leaving in may next year had the same question

we're not goin til next year either... so we'll probably see you out there.

I just hear alot about socializing being a fun part to some people. Last year my friends and I did a section and we really enjoyed the people. I just wanna make sure we don't miss out on that since we enjoyed so much.

George
03-02-2009, 00:29
might be missing some drinking days in the south but you will catch up with the partyers that are left. Some groups are pretty tight by then. For a fast hiker may is about the best time to start catching most areas in there best weather

Mask&Jono
03-02-2009, 00:30
yeah i go to UT so i get on the AT often and have seen a lot out there everytime so im sure you wont miss any socializing

leprechaun
03-02-2009, 01:14
I'll be starting May this year, but I'm attempting to do the whole thing in one summer. When I lived in Dahlonega (bout 20 minute drive from the AT) I still had plenty of people to socialize with in May, it really wasn't a problem.

Mask&Jono
03-02-2009, 01:29
im also trying to do it in 1 summer next may

leprechaun
03-02-2009, 03:15
Mask&jono, PM me here after august and I'll help you however I can. I know I've had a hard time finding info/advice on a fast hike.

Blissful
03-02-2009, 11:56
What you will get too- It will get progressively hotter and more humid. and buggier. Bears in the smokies. Certain Water supplies could be dry. Some services close.

Blissful
03-02-2009, 11:58
Fast hikes sound good but are very difficult to do. The AT is really tough stuff.

Oldgame
03-02-2009, 12:47
Last year, by April 30th the Springer caretaker had registered over 700 thru hikers. So May is probably a better time to start. Remember that the shelters and hostels may be filled up. Carry a tarp, tent, or hammock and try to get to the hostels early.

Also get your pack down to 30 pounds or less before you go. Otherwise, the Suches PO is use to hikers mailing gear home.

clured
03-02-2009, 14:41
Mask and Leprechaun,

I thru-hiked in '07 when I was 19 after my sophomore year of college - I had about a 95-day window of opportunity, and I finished in 84, which gave me enough time to go back home and decompress for a little while before heading back to school. It was the best experience of my life, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Kanati
03-02-2009, 18:18
Your only problem is going to be keeping your mind on your school work those last few weeks!! HaHa.

Enjoy your hike. :sun

JAK
03-02-2009, 18:27
I am currently in college, and do not want to skip a semester so myself along with (maybe) 1 or 2 friends are planning to split the trail in half and do it in 2 summers back to back. I was just wondering how many (if any) thru or long distance hikers start out so late in the season going NOBO from Springer. Along with the socialization, what else would I be missing out on by starting early May? Thank you for your comments and opinions.
we're not goin til next year either... so we'll probably see you out there.

I just hear alot about socializing being a fun part to some people. Last year my friends and I did a section and we really enjoyed the people. I just wanna make sure we don't miss out on that since we enjoyed so much.You sound like you have your head on very straight. I think your plan of spreading it over 2 summers is very wise. I haven't hiked the AT, and I am not of the college crowd age anymore even though I'm a greaduate student, but I'm guessing there will always be enough people for socializing. I've learned that 4 people is as much fun as 40, and 4 beer a night is also better than 40. Enjoy your hiking, and don't be afraid to do a little this year. It doesn't all have to be planned. I might hike my first mile on the AT myself this summer. Why wait until you can hike the whole thing, or a good part of it? Hikers hike.

McKeever
03-02-2009, 18:40
For a late start, it's all about averages. You might try starting your hike, later on get a shuttle to trail days for that week end, and return to where you stopped and continue up the trail. That way you'll get to meet the thu hikers that you read about in the shelter journals that are ahead of you. Consider that a thru hike for most hikers is a social experience as well as a wilderness experience. You will pass allot of hikers beyond Harpers Ferry and might catch up. There's a fine line of running with the March pack and keeping away from excessive partying. On the other hand, if you start in May you will hiking with mostly secion hikers heading up into the Smokeys so it wont be the same as heading out with thru hikers.

If you start in May, you should plan on getting up Katahdin no later than Oct 1 in case there's camping issues in the park that keep you from going up before overnight camping ends on the 15th or sooner. There can be early snow on Katahdin and the park can limit camping sooner than Oct 15 so don't count that out. You can average enough miles per day starting in May to finish without feeling that you have to hike like a mad man. Just hike easy but get your miles in per week and meet your goals.

JAK
03-02-2009, 19:20
If you are spreading it over 2 summers, both May, June, July, August, you can't be with the pack both years all the time, but it might be better to enjoy the first and last parts of the trail without the pack, but the middle portions with the pack. I don't know. I'm not exactly sure how that would work. You could maybe just join in this year where the crowd is, and hike as far as you can with them, and then maybe next year do the Southern most portion and Northern most portions that you missed, but maybe also stop here or there, like for trail days, or whatever.

buff_jeff
03-05-2009, 09:38
I sectioned Springer to Harpers Ferry last summer starting May 10 and there were plenty of thru-hikers the whole time. A lot of long-distance sectioners are also out and about.

bigben
03-05-2009, 11:06
I've said it before, May is a wonderful time to hike in the south. This will be the 4th year I've done a week in May. No bugs, not too cold, not too warm, enough other people to keep it interesting but never a crowd, ample space at almost any shelter, plenty of water, and beautiful green woods. I'm doing Winding Stair Gap to Fontana 5/8-5/15 with a zero at the NOC for rafting. See you out there.

Bigben

buff_jeff
03-05-2009, 12:38
I agree, BigBen. May seems to be the best hiking season down south. I couldn't have asked for a better time.