PDA

View Full Version : What're YOU doing for Spring break?

dloome
03-02-2009, 01:13
...if you're a student or in the school system and get that precious week off? If not, what WOULD you do with a week?

I wanted to head up to the incomparable Canyonlands National Park in Utah, but also need to save money for my Summer hiking budget. So I decided to stay somewhat local and do a short hike I've been lusting after for awhile- Starting at the Colorado River in Grand Canyon (about 2,000') and hiking @ 80 miles to the summit of Mt. Humphreys, AZ's high point at 12,633'. About half the miles on the AZT and half cross country on the Coconino Plateau. Should be lotsa fun, cool temps, fair amount of seasonal water to be found, checking out some things along the way. Woop. Anyone else have fun plans?

dart7383
03-02-2009, 03:29
My plan is to have some friends that are still in school road trip me out to Georgia to start my NOBO. I'm already there in my mind. These last few weeks at home almost seem like I'm on pause. I just sit here second guessing everything I want to take with me. The weather here in N. IL has been terrible this winter, so I didn't get to train as much as I wanted to. I've been doing a lot of weight training and cardio, but I haven't been able to do much hiking. The thing that keeps me from getting out the most is the police. There are no trails around me, so I have to road hike. I've been stopped as a vagrant several times. My favorite was about a month and a half ago when they sent the whole force out to get me because 3 people called me in as a suicide attempt. I sat down on a guard rail over the local river to take a break, the rest is history. On the plus side, I now know just about the whole police force in my town. They are rooting me on now. They still have to respond to the calls about me, but now they roll up, see it's me and just smile and wave. I hope people around the trail are not so quick to report anyone with a pack as a vagrant. These yuppies around me are really starting to get on my nerves. OK, I got off on a rant there. I'm sorry for wasting your time if you read through this.

Doughnut
03-02-2009, 06:44
Hiking the Great Smoky Mountian National Park. Continue to section hike until I can take a few months and thru.

DoughNut

JF2CBR
03-02-2009, 06:50
I'm flying into Portland the last week in March then from there heading down the coasts of Oregon and Northern California spending a couple days in Redwoods National Park. From there, we head over to Yosemite and Kings Canyon National Parks before hitting Vegas for one night. Zion for a few days followed by a stop in SLC to visit a friend then back up to Portland to catch the return flight back to PA.

Thats the plan!

buff_jeff
03-02-2009, 09:55
First thing on the agenda is going to see Watchmen. After that I'm going on a short 2 day hike on the AT in PA with my dad, and then I'm basically just hanging out with friends and family all week.

bigcranky
03-02-2009, 10:28
My hiking partner and I are hiking all of Georgia.

Red Hat
03-02-2009, 10:47
Hiking the Great Smoky Mountian National Park. Continue to section hike until I can take a few months and thru.

DoughNut
I'll be picking up a Tennessee section I missed back in 05. Hope your hike is great!

Red Hat
03-02-2009, 10:51
My hiking partner and I are hiking all of Georgia.
In 2004 I thought an old out of shape hiker like me could do that 76 miles over spring break.... After three straight 10 mile days, I only got to Testanatee Gap on day 4. It was St Paddys day and I hitched a ride into Helen. Had a great time there, then I went over and visited in Hiawassee, then stayed at the Blueberry Patch seeing hikers until it was time to fly home. Good trip, even if I ended up at about 40 miles. The next year I took it slower and made it all the way past Erwin in six weeks.

Waterfall
03-02-2009, 10:57
Hiking the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. My "spring break" starts when tax season ends, so we hope to head south shortly after I punch out on April 15.

MoBill122
03-02-2009, 11:09
Hiking the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. My "spring break" starts when tax season ends, so we hope to head south shortly after I punch out on April 15.

The Pinhoti was my first backpacking trip ever last year. Was a great experience for an old fellow, doing a SOLO trip out there. I saw 2-3 other backpackers on the whole Alabama section, so expect to enjoy being alone in the woods. Have a great trip !

Lilred
03-02-2009, 12:10
My spring break is the first full week of April. I'll be hiking in Florida, from the gulf coast to the Atlantic Ocean. Probably several times since it will be up and down Duval St. in KEY WEST FL.!!!!

Waterfall
03-02-2009, 12:11
MoBill--thanks! I hiked about 60 miles of it about 10 years ago and haven't been back since, so I'm really looking forward to it.

JAK
03-02-2009, 12:37
Finishing my thesis.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 19:24
My spring break (i.e. the first day of Spring) should see me somewhere around Bly Gap heading into North Carolina.

I sure hope it's more hospitable than Central New Hampshire.

Lillianp
03-02-2009, 19:29
Hike a small mountain somewhere in Western Mass when I drop someone off, while driving home (to eastern mass). If I'm lucky and weather's good, perhaps Monadnock or something later on. As I have no money, I can't really spend any!

greepigfoot
03-02-2009, 19:32
planning to hike the NY ap trail. . . .unfortunately my spring break starts . . .FRIDAY!!!!!!

I hiked the canyonlands 2 years ago with BOSS it was pretty cool.

Gray Blazer
03-02-2009, 19:35
The correct answer is (A) Ron Haven's Hiker Bash and First Annual Franklin Trail Days.
See you there if you can make it. As Matty says, your jealousy is ours.

A-Train
03-02-2009, 19:48
I am both a student and in the school system and it was very fortuitous to get the week+ off on the same week for both.

Was planning on hiking the Northville Placid Trail but it seems it's too early to hike this trail. Looking at the Benton Mackaye Trail.

Any other suggestions for a 7-9 day hike on the east coast that is not the AT?

buff_jeff
03-02-2009, 19:54
My spring break (i.e. the first day of Spring) should see me somewhere around Bly Gap heading into North Carolina.

I sure hope it's more hospitable than Central New Hampshire.

Are you thru-hiking this year or just going out on a section hike?

greepigfoot
03-02-2009, 19:54
if you want a LONG FLAT TRAIL check out the batona trail in the pine barrens. 50 miles long so you can hike out and back in 7-9 days with no problem.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 20:11
Beat me, Buff Jeff.

Right now I just want to get my fat ass to Georgia and moving and see where the day takes me.

Finishing point of the trip to be determined later.

Hopefully, much later. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
03-02-2009, 20:42
Any other suggestions for a 7-9 day hike on the east coast that is not the AT?

The BMT in the Smokies or the Alabama section of the Pinhoti.

MOWGLI
03-02-2009, 20:44
I'll be leading a group of students from Ohio State University for a week in the Smokies. We'll be treating hemlock trees. Should be fun.

buff_jeff
03-02-2009, 21:46
Beat me, Buff Jeff.

Right now I just want to get my fat ass to Georgia and moving and see where the day takes me.

Finishing point of the trip to be determined later.

Hopefully, much later. :rolleyes:

Sounds good. I'm jealous, though. I have two more months until I can get out for a good amount of time. :o

Good luck!

buff_jeff
03-02-2009, 21:53
Are there no other graphic novel dorks in here? Nobody's going to see Watchmen?!

steve43
03-03-2009, 10:32
i teach in an elementary school, and i have the first full week of april off. my wife and i are going on a romantic get-a-way for a couple of days, and then i'm off for three days to hike the zaleski trail in southern ohio as a tune up for my section hike this summer. gotta love spring breaks!

fifo

oreotragus
03-03-2009, 11:27
Everyone have fun on your trips!

For my spring break (in 10 days), I am flying to Dublin, Ireland to hike on the Wicklow Way trail. For time and money constraints unfortunately I had to cut the hike to only a section of the trail. I am ecstatic though! I can't wait to see giant sequoias in Enniskerry!

mts4602
03-03-2009, 17:41
Smokies,

wish I could do the whole park at once, but oh well, I'm still going to have fun.

JAK
03-03-2009, 17:42
Finishing my thesis.Procrastinating.

Footslogger
03-03-2009, 17:43
What's Spring Break ??

'Slogger

JAK
03-03-2009, 17:45
We call it March Break up here.
Spring comes later. Much later.

jnflas91
03-03-2009, 17:58
5 days 90+ miles on the AT im MA as well i am saving money for summer plans

prain4u
03-04-2009, 01:22
I don't get a Spring Break. But, if I did, I would go to one of three places:

1) Section hike a part of the Appalachian Trail. Possibly start at Springer.

2) Visit New York City (again). It's a nice place to visit--but I wouldn't want to live there! (I tend to live in towns with populations between 150-1,000 people--and I love it!).

3) Visit someplace warm and "snow free". Last year, I was fortunate enough to visit Austin, Texas for a training conference at Spring Break time. I was given lodging at the Hilton. I got to visit the South by South West Festival (SxSW). I got to see all of the wild and crazy college kids who were in Austin for their Spring Break. I ate some nice food. The best part? My employer paid for everything AND paid me a nice salary. It doesn't get any better than that!

LIhikers
03-04-2009, 18:56
My 13 year old nephew and I plan to go out for a few days of backpacking in NY's Harriman State Park.

theinfamousj
03-04-2009, 19:54
My spring break is the second week of April (minus one day as a make-up for a snow day we has this week).

I want to get out and hike. I'm thinking the MST may be the way to go since it is local.

Kirby
03-04-2009, 19:59
I'm going to VT for my friends spring break, and I think hiking is on the docket, as I've told him he has no choice but to take me hiking.

My spring break is in April, and I hope to do some hiking, potentially down south.

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2009, 20:22
All the discriminating hiker really needs to know about Spring Break, 2009:

www.doylehotel.com

DuctTape
03-04-2009, 22:30
...if you're a student or in the school system and get that precious week off? If not, what WOULD you do with a week?

I wanted to head up to the incomparable Canyonlands National Park in Utah, but also need to save money for my Summer hiking budget. So I decided to stay somewhat local and do a short hike I've been lusting after for awhile- Starting at the Colorado River in Grand Canyon (about 2,000') and hiking @ 80 miles to the summit of Mt. Humphreys, AZ's high point at 12,633'. About half the miles on the AZT and half cross country on the Coconino Plateau. Should be lotsa fun, cool temps, fair amount of seasonal water to be found, checking out some things along the way. Woop. Anyone else have fun plans?

Sounds like fun, what sort of conditions are you expecting to find on Humphrey's Peak? I've always thought it would be fun to hike the railroad bed to Williams and see what sort of artifacts there are along the way.

...and you know there's at least one person out there who ran from Phantom to Humphrey's in less than 24 hours, right? :eek:

Lion King
03-04-2009, 23:31
2 chicks at once...:D

Monkeyboy
03-05-2009, 00:28
Going caving and whitewater rafting...........

flemdawg1
03-05-2009, 13:05
We homeschool, our "spring" break was last week in the Smokies.

dloome
03-06-2009, 18:41
Sounds like fun, what sort of conditions are you expecting to find on Humphrey's Peak? I've always thought it would be fun to hike the railroad bed to Williams and see what sort of artifacts there are along the way.

...and you know there's at least one person out there who ran from Phantom to Humphrey's in less than 24 hours, right? :eek:

Ugh... this is why I prefer walking places.

If the weather's good (not snow storming) Humphreys is usually awesome this time of year- Windy as hell maybe, but with the right gear and snowshoes, a total blast. The trail on the South side of the mountain down to Snowbowl is pointless to try and follow in snow, so I usually ridgewalk East towards Fremont peak, drop out of the wilderness area onto the ski slope and walk/glissade down to the road.

For this hike, I'm stashing my snowshoes ahead of time somewhere around Lockett Meadow so I can use them for the inner basin and the climb up the Weatherford which I imagine has at least several feet of snow still, if not significantly more in places. And probably really hard and icy, so I may stash my axe too- I'd only have to carry it for a day. I don't know if you've hiked the Weatherford Trail in Winter or early season, but right before it tops out above Humphreys saddle there almost this broad, rock hard snowfield pitched at about 50 degrees. A bit sketchy, but with the right gear, nothing but fun.

Heater
03-06-2009, 19:00
I don't get a Spring Break. But, if I did, I would go to one of three places:

3) Visit someplace warm and "snow free". Last year, I was fortunate enough to visit Austin, Texas for a training conference at Spring Break time. I was given lodging at the Hilton. I got to visit the South by South West Festival (SxSW). I got to see all of the wild and crazy college kids who were in Austin for their Spring Break. I ate some nice food. The best part? My employer paid for everything AND paid me a nice salary. It doesn't get any better than that!

Yeah. Austin is pretty nice, I guess... :D

LTHotSauce
03-06-2009, 19:21
Sobo from rockfish gap as far as I can in 9 days. Combined with last years section hike should be about 330 miles I will skip on my sobo thru in june

The_RD_Less_Trvld
03-06-2009, 20:38
I'm hiking the long path trail from NJ through NY. I'll be camping and reading the writings or Emerson and Thoreau...

Secret Squirrel
03-06-2009, 20:44
NOBO from Rockfish Gap to Skyland or maybe to Thornton Gap.

DuctTape
03-06-2009, 22:48
I don't know if you've hiked the Weatherford Trail in Winter or early season, but right before it tops out above Humphreys saddle there almost this broad, rock hard snowfield pitched at about 50 degrees. A bit sketchy, but with the right gear, nothing but fun.

I've only done the short jaunt up the Humphreys Trail in June. Have fun, and don't get blown off! :D

Nicksaari
03-06-2009, 22:57
First thing on the agenda is going to see Watchmen. After that I'm going on a short 2 day hike on the AT in PA with my dad, and then I'm basically just hanging out with friends and family all week.

saw it today. any fan would appreciate. its was phenomenal, but there were some important details left out, but hey- it was 2 hours 46 minutes long, there was now way they could tell the exact story of the graphic novel. but bravo to everyone that worked on the movie- it was moving to see some of those scenes from the book play out like that. amazing.

as for spring break, as i have always worked full time whilst in higher education, have to work around Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday- for i have rented the Conley Cabin in PATC's Vining Tract in Greene Co, VA.
lovely view, lovely weather, excellent libation as well as company and the dog. looking forward to a well deserved break form working hard January and Feb:rolleyes:

lysol
03-06-2009, 23:08
I used to work in software, so am extremely appreciative of my upcoming two-week spring break for private schools here in Mass:

Mar 10, SOBO from Lee, MA to NYC. Wingdale or Pawling train.

Hoping for warmth, but gearing for winter.

Speaking of teaching, one of the best lessons I've learned from the AT: just plan points A & B, , hike your hike, and enjoy. (Used to try to plan daily mileages, resupply, etc.,)

I hope to see some folks out on the trail, but usually it's pretty sparse when I'm out anywhere north of HF during my spring break.

chrishowe11
03-07-2009, 10:31
spending that time on the Biggelows up in maine should be a fun time, snow caves! have a great spring break everyone

sloopjonboswell
03-07-2009, 15:13
Neels Gap to somewhere! today yay!

ChrisM
03-08-2009, 20:06
Trying to do Sams Gap to Dennis Cove in 5.5 days

Lemni Skate
03-10-2009, 14:22
I'm going to take my kids (age 9 and 11) with me and start at Springer and go as far north as we can. My parents are providing auto support so we won't have to carry heavy packs. I'd like to knock out Georgia, but with two kids you never know. I started my section hike in May of last year and knocked out Harper's Ferry south to Dripping Rock south of SNP. So this will be part two. Five weeks this summer will be in Vermont/New Hampshire again with the kids. Hope to have at least 550 miles of trail done by end of year so I can say I've done 1/4 of it.

neighbor dave
03-10-2009, 16:14
i hear the mexican border towns can be kinda excitin'!:jump

unclemjm
03-10-2009, 23:59
I will be taking my wife and 9 of our teen and young adult friends to the Ozarks. They are not hikers but car campers so this trip is designed to have lots of day hikes.

The real reason for the trip that the others don't know is that I am on recon for a future Ozark Highland Trail adventure that I haven't told anyone about. :D

djp183
03-13-2009, 09:45
Pine Grove Furnace to PenMar, or possibly to possibly Harpers Ferry depending on my pace. Then up to my folks place for seder.

leeki pole
03-13-2009, 10:17
My girls are going to Panama City Beach, my Valentine's present to them. Me, I gotta stay and take care of the dogs. Spring break for me.;)

skinewmexico
03-13-2009, 10:54
Are there no other graphic novel dorks in here? Nobody's going to see Watchmen?!

Nope. My graphic novel (comic book?) expert, my 20 year old son, said it stunk. On toast.

I'm taking some Boy Scouts on a 5 day canoe trip.

Red Hat
03-13-2009, 11:23
Trying to do Sams Gap to Dennis Cove in 5.5 days

Please at least wave at us as you zoom by! We're going from Iron Mtn Gap (TN107/NC226) to Dennis Cove in the same time frame... So say hi to the old ladies...

Red Hat
03-13-2009, 11:26
2 chicks at once...:D

LOL, Lion King... my teacher friend and I are hiking this week along the TN/NC line after Erwin up to Kincora. Wanna hike with us?

skinewmexico
03-13-2009, 11:30
i hear the mexican border towns can be kinda excitin'!:jump

Yeah, dodging those drug gang shootouts is a hoot!

Austexs - never thought I'd see a tag line from a Joe Ely song on here....

flemdawg1
03-13-2009, 14:44
LOL, Lion King... my teacher friend and I are hiking this week along the TN/NC line after Erwin up to Kincora. Wanna hike with us?

:eek::banana