PDA

View Full Version : Where I stand on my 2009 NoBo Hike

SurferNerd
03-02-2009, 01:40
Hey ya'all, it's Vic..

It's been a long time since I've been on here, more out of shame than anything else I think. Sadly today is March 1, 2009...my scheduled start date of my 2009 NoBo Hike of the AT. Well the world has come apart via our economy and I have the best job in the world. I thought to myself, well I'm making bank, and I thank God I have a job..so I guess I could kick it off til 2010.

Two years I've been planning my thru hike. In 2008 I didn't go because of a broken car forcing me into debt on a newer one. I regret not going, and I dreaded the long years wait before I could make it out again. Well in 2009, it looked to be the same way. Another agonizing year of dreams to hit the trail. But there's hope in my future of 2009...

My employer approached me with a note two weeks ago stating that by the end of March, I'd either be laid off, or I'd join a traveling team who's home but once a month. So there's still hope in my future to hike the big trail. I yearn to be close to God, to smell the flowers, to see the sunsets, and to feel the blisters.

If my employer drops me..which I should know within two weeks. I'll liquidate everything I own and can toss, I'll drop all my bills that won't need to be paid, I'll drop 6 months into my ATT account, and away I'll be. I regret my only downfall will be dropping my unpaid car off to its owning lot. It's a risk I take, and a hit I'm worth having since I can't stand waiting any longer.

All in all, it's in God's Hands. Through prayer and his direction, I will know when its the right time to hit the trail..

q-tip
03-02-2009, 05:58
Thanks for the post. I put the dream out there and all was removed so I could do the thru this year. In the last 5 years I have completed 4 of my top 5 life goals and have 2 more in the works, hiking the ATand attending graduate school, which my enrollment has been deferred until 2010. I found by keeping the dream alive and taking the risk in telling poeple that I am going, I was able to pull off getting to the trailhead. I believe my faith and some help from fellow hikers and trail angels will get me to Katadan. Good luck to you!!

modiyooch
03-02-2009, 10:26
My thought is if you can't do it in full, why not do it in parts? I cherish each and every part.

Tilly
03-02-2009, 10:26
Good luck and don't worry. It will all come together when it needs to. I have been wanting to hike since '05 and now through different jobs, moves, surgeries, and house fires things are setteling out and coming through. I see you are 21. All the time in the world. And despite what others think a good job that you enjoy is very important, too. I put off my hike one year because I had a job I loved and I don't regret it. The AT isn't going anywhere. Good luck and keep us posted in your plans.

Marta
03-02-2009, 11:00
Good luck to you! Whatever happens, I hope you can enjoy it. If you're working, I hope you can enjoy your good fortune in having money coming in. If you're not working, I hope you enjoy your hike.

Rockhound
03-02-2009, 11:49
Good luck with getting laid off, but if for some reason you don't get laid off, no worries. You can just quit. You are 21 years old for Pete's sake. You keep putting your dreams on hold then the next thing you know you're 40. It's a shame we live in a time where most people judge others and themselves based on bank accounts and how much stuff they have. I feel everyone needs to adopt a much healthier disrespect for the all mighty dollar.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-02-2009, 12:05
I had wanted to do the AT back in '98 during my break between high school and college, but ended up not going. Now it's 11 years later and I'm finally getting to do it... But for some reason, in the back of my head, I can't help but think that if I had done it back then my life would somehow be completely different now. Maybe it wouldn't, who really knows.

But I'm of the opinion that rockhound stated. If you don't have a wife and kids or any other type of major responsibilities, now is probably the best time. I mean from what you said you're either going to get laid off anyway or have to join a traveling circus. Why wait around for them to decide your fate when you can decide your own? :)

Blissful
03-02-2009, 12:09
Very thoughtful post. Don't know if I would quit a job now, esp if it pays good - my brother was laid off in Dec and still hasn't found anything. Unfortunately one must consider the bank account with the way things are bottoming out these days. My son went to a dozen of places and got turned down before finally landing something at Paneras. Can't take a job or anything for granted right now.

There is the right time for everything. If you do get laid off and you've got the money to swing it and something for the future, go for it. Take care.

LoneWolf
03-02-2009, 21:19
"Two Years He Roamed the Earth... No Phone, No Pool, No Pets, No Cigarettes. Ultimate Freedom. An Extremist. An Aesthetic Voyager Whose Home is The (Trail). Escaped From Atlanta. Thou Shalt Not Return... And Now After Two Rambling Years Comes The Final and Greatest Adventure. The Clamactic Battle to Kill The False Being Within And Victoriously Conclude the Final Spiritual Revolution. Ten Days and Nights of Freight Trains and Hitchiking Bring Him To The Great White North. No Longer To Be Poisoned by civilization He Flees... And Walks Alone... Upon The Land to Become Lost In The Wild" -Alexander Supertramp

Don't let flagrant insignificances like Money or a job rule your life!! With any luck you will get laid off. And if not don't worry, like rockhound said... you can quit. So get started on your declaration of independence, And I'll see you out there in April.

Nest
03-03-2009, 01:33
Just go with your gut. Abby said you aren't allowed to hike with me though, so you will probably have to wait until next year since I am hiking this year.:D

Just make sure you don't have any regrets.

SurferNerd
03-03-2009, 23:36
Just go with your gut. Abby said you aren't allowed to hike with me though, so you will probably have to wait until next year since I am hiking this year.:D

Just make sure you don't have any regrets.

I'm sure this has to do with your crazy methods, and thoughtful stories...haha.

SurferNerd
03-03-2009, 23:38
So I had a conversation with my boss, and its true. I've been promoted to the Elite 5. I'd be traveling the country, living out of hotels, and rarely ever home. It pays really high numbers, so the money is always an incentive. Yes I'm 21, I can always quit. But to make it this far up the corporate food chain, then have to start all over...its not good. But we'll see what happens.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-04-2009, 00:47
So I had a conversation with my boss, and its true. I've been promoted to the Elite 5. I'd be traveling the country, living out of hotels, and rarely ever home. It pays really high numbers, so the money is always an incentive. Yes I'm 21, I can always quit. But to make it this far up the corporate food chain, then have to start all over...its not good. But we'll see what happens.

It's all in the spin... Wait til you are appointed to the team, then decline, quit and join the trail. Once you get back into the job market, you can tell prospective employers about this promotion you had received where you would get to travel the country and live out of hotels... Then tell them that you had to decline, because if you we're going to travel the country and live out of temporary housing you wanted it to be challenging, hence the reason why you went on the trail. :)

Vagrant Squirrel
03-04-2009, 00:51
Also, if the prospective employer gives some kind of response such as, "well how do we know you won't up and leave our employment for the same type of thing?" Then you simply reply with, "challenge me."

High Life
03-04-2009, 01:16
i hate to see someone not do the trail or quit or anything close
but at this point ... as steve miller sang .. " go on take the money and run "
the trail will be waiting when you return ..

Matteroo
03-04-2009, 02:41
hey high life! : )

I'd throw my beans in the making money route! If you're traveling hotels and making loot, chances are lots of those expenses are paid - will you have to use your own car even? at 21 if you don't have any serious debt you can save a lot and have such a healthy cushion when you hike, and for after you hike.. etc.

Saving and setting up for a hike.. hell i can't think of a better use of money.

DapperD
03-04-2009, 11:18
Hey ya'all, it's Vic..

It's been a long time since I've been on here, more out of shame than anything else I think. Sadly today is March 1, 2009...my scheduled start date of my 2009 NoBo Hike of the AT. Well the world has come apart via our economy and I have the best job in the world. I thought to myself, well I'm making bank, and I thank God I have a job..so I guess I could kick it off til 2010.

Two years I've been planning my thru hike. In 2008 I didn't go because of a broken car forcing me into debt on a newer one. I regret not going, and I dreaded the long years wait before I could make it out again. Well in 2009, it looked to be the same way. Another agonizing year of dreams to hit the trail. But there's hope in my future of 2009...

My employer approached me with a note two weeks ago stating that by the end of March, I'd either be laid off, or I'd join a traveling team who's home but once a month. So there's still hope in my future to hike the big trail. I yearn to be close to God, to smell the flowers, to see the sunsets, and to feel the blisters.

If my employer drops me..which I should know within two weeks. I'll liquidate everything I own and can toss, I'll drop all my bills that won't need to be paid, I'll drop 6 months into my ATT account, and away I'll be. I regret my only downfall will be dropping my unpaid car off to its owning lot. It's a risk I take, and a hit I'm worth having since I can't stand waiting any longer.

All in all, it's in God's Hands. Through prayer and his direction, I will know when its the right time to hit the trail..You will only be young once. A job where you are on the road and are told you will get to be home once a month will wind up turning into once every three months. I am assuming you have no kids yet and no morgage. Once this happens it will be much harder to thru-hike. If the car payment is a problem, work this year, save up enough to be able to pay it for the 6 months you will be hiking,and go next year. I think a job on the road like your's will be ok for awhile, but eventually you will most likely miss home and your loved ones, I think being young like you are now is without a doubt the best time to thru-hike.

shwn354
03-05-2009, 00:08
with your job you will be on the road and miss home too much. so you should quit and hike for six months:D

SurferNerd
03-11-2009, 13:40
Well I'm still in the air about it, I know I'm going to regret no going again for another year. I need the challenge, and I need the physical training. I'm looking into selling all my possessions via Craigslist. My REI dividend came in, its going ALL towards foods. Field strip them mountain houses. Love'em, but damn they're expensive. I don't need much of anything else. I think I'm gonna do some praying, see where it goes. Both options I have are great, and tempting.

cannonball
03-11-2009, 13:54
Prudence and patience. Those are 2 virtues that God really digs.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-11-2009, 14:13
Prudence and patience. Those are 2 virtues that God really digs.

I thought he was all about the leap of faith? lol.