PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker Mag's 69 cool things

Grimace
05-19-2004, 09:15
In the most recent issue they have 69 good things about camping. One of them is a set of UTM coordinates that I don't know because I didn't bring the magazine to work. They are for a grassy campsite along the AT that the writers frequent a lot. Any idea where/what it is?

jamarshall
05-21-2004, 18:09
I did some calculations and came up with Fox Gap, PA. Probably near Kirkridge Shelter. I was just through there a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a great place to play with gear.

Lone Wolf
05-21-2004, 19:37
****** Backpacker.Yuppie rag.

Crash
05-22-2004, 13:10
****** Backpacker.Yuppie rag.

Did it have a hammock in that edition??
The mag really extolls the virtues of
heavy
overloaded
overpriced
poorly designed
crap for yuppies.

UTM?
Whats wrong with finding your own way?
and if it breaks or loses battery power they can call on their cell phones for help.

Yea, that's cool.

veteran
05-22-2004, 17:42
I did some calculations and came up with Fox Gap, PA. Probably near Kirkridge Shelter. I was just through there a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a great place to play with gear.

Your right on the location, check the map:

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=40.9367&lon=-75.18686&scale=24000&type=1&size=S&zoom=100

On the left side click UTM under coordinates, then put the crosshair
about an inch above the radio tower and you will have the location.

jamarshall
05-23-2004, 19:44
Nothing in this issue of Backpacker about hammocks though they did review the Hennessey a while back and thought it was interesting. I've found good advice in Backpacker and some pretty strange stuff, I read it all and make my own decisions - same as I do with the info I find here. :)

Grimace
05-24-2004, 12:50
Very cool. Thanks for the info. Was curious.

Wow, Crash. Had a rough Saturday?