PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Neels Gap

stumpy
03-02-2009, 11:09
I am planning a section hike from Springer to Neesl gap coming up in a couple weeks. Would it be better to walk north or south? I know Blood Mountain will be the highest point. Should we tackle that first thing, or save it for last?

Thanks,

Frick Frack
03-02-2009, 11:18
I have done both directions more than once and for me hiking south was easier (starting at Neels). Blood Mt will be harder this dirrection but the rest of the way is easier (for me at least). Either way it is some of the most beautiful hiking on the AT! Have a GREAT time!!

Bulldawg
03-02-2009, 11:19
That whole stretch is a breeze. Blood is much easier IMO coming from the south, but isn't bad either way. I'd do it from Springer to Neel. Plan for 3 to 4 days. Springer to Horse Gap, Horse Gap to Woody Gap, Woody Gap to Neel Gap; or some variant thereof.

Rockhound
03-02-2009, 11:33
3-4 days if you are a camper that likes to hike. 2 days if you are a hiker that likes to camp. It's only 30 miles.

Ox97GaMe
03-02-2009, 11:41
It wont be a problem either way. Not much difference as far as difficulty. Blood from Neels Gap is a difficult climb, especially first out with the loaded pack. But, it isnt any worse than the climb out of Woody Gap to Granny Top.

The bigger issue will be logistics getting to/from the trail. Hiking south may also require hiking the approach trail in order to get a shuttle. If you are staging vehicles at both ends, then it is basically a wash as to which way to hike.

have fun

stumpy
03-02-2009, 11:42
We are a couple of guys that like to hike and camp. :) Actually we are probalby not in the best hiking shape. We only get out about once a year, if we are lucky. We will have about 3-4 hours to hike on the 19th. Then all day on the 20, 21, 22. So we will not be in a hurry either way. If it turns out to be windy and cold, we will walk longer days. If the weather is nice, we will probalby spend a little more time in camp. My brother-in-law has already done that section, but it was several years ago. It will be all new stuff for me! :D

stumpy
03-02-2009, 11:45
We will have two cars (he is coming up from Florida, and I am heading over from Nashville). We will leave one at Neels and one at Springer. Since it seems like most people have said it is a wash either direction. We will probably meet at neels gap and drive together over to springer.

Blissful
03-02-2009, 11:51
Either way, but you will be in the thick of thru hikers, so be prepared to tent, etc.

stumpy
03-02-2009, 12:08
We figured as much. Kinda crowded, but this is the time we could go. We usually try to do a fall hike, but we didn't get that done this year.

ColdFire
03-02-2009, 16:03
I was wanting to do the same section in the next few weeks, where exactly would I want to leave my vehicles? :-?

max patch
03-02-2009, 16:24
There is a parking area 1/4 mile north of Neels Gap.

There is a parking area on USFS 42 0.9 mile north of Springer OR leave your car at Amicalola State Park and hike the 8 mile approach trail.

The parking at ASP is the safest of all options.

Ox97GaMe
03-02-2009, 16:42
Two additional things to consider...

a) It seems that the logical place to meet would be near Elijay. This requires least amount of backtracking with vehicles. This would imply starting the hike from Neels Gap

b) If you are only going to have 3-4 hrs of hiking that first day, it would probably be better to start hike from Springer end. There is the possibility of camping on Blood, but there isnt any water there, so you would need to hike down the back side either to the tent platforms @ Slaughter Gap Trail or at the Woods Hole Shelter. Starting from Springer gives you options of Stover Creek Shelter, Three Forks, and Long Creek Falls for camping.

stumpy
03-02-2009, 18:24
Thanks Ox. We will probably start at springer so we will have more options for camping that first night. How long is the drive from Neels back up to USFS and the parking area near Springer?

McKeever
03-02-2009, 18:48
With all the thru hikers starting, you can haul out and keep all the brand new expesive gear that's ditched along the way to lower pack weight!

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 18:55
I'd go Northbound. Blood Mt. is indeed lots easier that way, plus you finish up at Neel Gap (a good place to leave a car or get picked up), plus they have all sorts of food treats available, lodging, even a shower if you want.

For info on driving, distances, where to leave cars, etc., I 'd call Winton Porter at Neel Gap, and he'll happily help you out with anything you need.

Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap: (706) 745-6095

MoBill122
03-02-2009, 18:58
Neel's back to Springer Parking area ? That's about 35 > 40 miles, with maybe 10 miles on dirt forest service roads. About the same back to ASP, but that would be all on paved roads.
ASP to Neel's would be about a 38 mile hike... pushing your limits, if the weather turns to #@!#&*!! Springer to Neels is about 29 miles, and there again, not a fun trip if the weather turns bad on you. Unless you like walking in the rain or snow ! <G>
Have a fun hike !

Egads
03-02-2009, 19:55
Neel's back to Springer Parking area ? That's about 35 > 40 miles, with maybe 10 miles on dirt forest service roads. About the same back to ASP, but that would be all on paved roads.
ASP to Neel's would be about a 38 mile hike... pushing your limits, if the weather turns to #@!#&*!! Springer to Neels is about 29 miles, and there again, not a fun trip if the weather turns bad on you. Unless you like walking in the rain or snow ! <G>
Have a fun hike !

I'm confused by the mileage in your first sentence. The Springer parking area is 0.9 mi North of Springer, so it is actually closer to Neels Gap than Springer is. Springer to Neels is 30.5 mi. So if you hiked to Springer and back to the parking, the distance is 31.4 mi, not 35-40.

max patch
03-02-2009, 19:59
I'm confused by the mileage in your first sentence. The Springer parking area is 0.9 mi North of Springer, so it is actually closer to Neels Gap than Springer is. Springer to Neels is 30.5 mi. So if you hiked to Springer and back to the parking, the distance is 31.4 mi, not 35-40.

I don't know if his numbers are correct or not, but he is talking about the driving mileage, not the hiking mileage.

Egads
03-02-2009, 20:06
I don't know if his numbers are correct or not, but he is talking about the driving mileage, not the hiking mileage.

Makes sense now

Ox97GaMe
03-03-2009, 00:30
I would have to question the 30-40 mile driving distance between the two. It might be correct, as the crow flies, but you most likely wont be driving that way.

Routes from Neels Gap back to Springer will vary depending on how adventurous you want to be. I would plan on taking about an hour and a half to make the drive, minimum.

If it were me... and this is just a personal preference... I would drive north from Neels Gap to Blairsville, then west to Blue Ridge, then south to Elijay, east to Cartecay and into Springer via Big Creek Rd. It is a little longer mileage wise, but you will good, straight roads for all except the last 6.5 miles. This means you will be able to drive 55-60 most of the way. Other routes will restrict you to speeds of 45 in some areas, and if you take gravel Roads (like FS 42 from Suches) could even be down to 15-20 in some areas.

The second option, and probably the one most people would suggest is to go south to Dahlonega then east past ASP, then northwest to Cartecay and catch either Big Creek or Roy Rd route to summit.

Remember, sometimes the shortest distance between two points is NOT a straight line.

As for parking at Neels Gap, the trailhead parking is at Byron Reece Parking area. The trail junction to the parking lot is approx .5 miles south of Neels Gap on the AT. The Freeman Trail and Byron Reece Trail intersect the AT at the same location. You can do a road walk down to the parking lot from Neels. you will be walking a crooked highway with narrow shoulders. Could be a bit scary being on the shoulder if a tanker truck comes barrelling down the road. Not a bad walk back south on AT from Neels to the trail junction and then down into parking lot.

Bulldawg
03-03-2009, 00:53
Good God no!! Don't drive that way! Go north on US129/19 to GA180, about 3 or 4 miles north of Neel Gap. Take GA 180 to Suches/GA60, take a left, south on GA60. Go about 3/4 mile to Coopers Gap Road on your left. About 20-25 miles to Springer parking lot from there.

ColdFire
03-03-2009, 01:45
Thanks for all the good info everyone :)

BullDawg I dont see any map that shows Cooper Gap Road going to Springer? you must have to turn off of it somewhere to get on SFR 42?
And over 30 miles on a dirt road? :-? If you could be more specific I would appreciate it.

The other route I was looking at getting back to Springer from Neels Gap was via Dahlonega/Nimblewill by going up the Winding Stair Gap road then to SFR 42. That is about maybe 10 miles on a dirt road.

BTW I found this site, It's pretty cool and has lots of great info on the AT and other trails.

http://digitaltrailguide.com

Egads
03-03-2009, 04:18
Thanks for all the good info everyone :)

BullDawg I dont see any map that shows Cooper Gap Road going to Springer? you must have to turn off of it somewhere to get on SFR 42?
And over 30 miles on a dirt road? :-? If you could be more specific I would appreciate it.

The other route I was looking at getting back to Springer from Neels Gap was via Dahlonega/Nimblewill by going up the Winding Stair Gap road then to SFR 42. That is about maybe 10 miles on a dirt road.

BTW I found this site, It's pretty cool and has lots of great info on the AT and other trails.

http://digitaltrailguide.com

Cooper Gap road is FS 42

Nearly Normal
03-03-2009, 05:57
It's Neel Gap.

daddytwosticks
03-03-2009, 08:31
Bulldawg is dead on...follow that route. :)

Bulldawg
03-03-2009, 09:13
It's Neel Gap.

Bulldawg is dead on...follow that route. :)

Byproduct of spending the last 33 years in these mountains. Have a good hike!!

Dances with Mice
03-03-2009, 09:35
Good God no!! Don't drive that way! Go north on US129/19 to GA180, about 3 or 4 miles north of Neel Gap. Take GA 180 to Suches/GA60, take a left, south on GA60. Go about 3/4 mile to Coopers Gap Road on your left. About 20-25 miles to Springer parking lot from there.I think you just drove him into the lake. FS42 will be beside the closed 'Tritt Country Store' on your right following Dawg's directions.

And isn't FS42 named "Gooch Gap Rd" at that point? "Cooper Gap Road" runs up to Cooper from the Ranger Camp near Dahlonega. Whatever.

There's been enough various means suggested for getting from Neel to Springer to confuse anyone, so what's one more? Here's an easy route with less gravel:

Go to Suches as Dawg said, but turn right, north, on GA-60. The road will wind down from the ridge and just as it straightens out in the river valley you will find "Gaddistown Road" on your left. There will be also be a sign at the GA-60 intersection to "Pleasant Valley Baptist Church". It's a pretty drive up a really very nice valley to FS42 at Cooper Gap. The road turns to gravel about a half mile or so before the Gap. Turn right on FS42 and follow to Springer.

Dances with Mice
03-03-2009, 09:49
Go to Suches as Dawg said, but turn right, north, on GA-60. The road will wind down from the ridge and just as it straightens out in the river valley you will find "Gaddistown Road" on your left. There will be also be a sign at the GA-60 intersection to "Pleasant Valley Baptist Church". It's a pretty drive up a really very nice valley to FS42 at Cooper Gap. The road turns to gravel about a half mile or so before the Gap. Turn right on FS42 and follow to Springer.
Dawg was right on the name, it is Cooper Gap Rd, if not the direction.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Bulldawg
03-03-2009, 09:49
I think you just drove him into the lake. FS42 will be beside the closed 'Tritt Country Store' on your right following Dawg's directions.

And isn't FS42 named "Gooch Gap Rd" at that point? "Cooper Gap Road" runs up to Cooper from the Ranger Camp near Dahlonega. Whatever.

There's been enough various means suggested for getting from Neel to Springer to confuse anyone, so what's one more? Here's an easy route with less gravel:

You're right on all accounts DWM! Springer, there are Sooooooooooo many ways to get there. My favorite is to simply parachute in!!

Dances with Mice
03-03-2009, 09:51
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wlThat link wasn't useful. 3rd time might be the charm....

Search Google map for "Gaddistown Rd., Gaddistown, GA".

stumpy
03-03-2009, 09:59
It's Neel Gap.
You mean to tell me you don't shop and the WAL-MARTS or the TARGETS?:D

Ox97GaMe
03-03-2009, 10:44
All routes are possibilities. Any of the ones listed are likely to take an hour and a half or more to arrive at Springer. It will be a matter of your preference of driving on highway or gravel roads.

As was stated, what looks like the most direct route is to drive to Suches and catch Gooch Gap Rd / FS42. It will be a long, slow, bumpy ride for that 25 miles on the gravel road. If you drive in on this route, I would venture to say that you probably wont be driving it a second time after your hike. Have an alternate plan established for your second trip.

Speaking of.... maybe you want to go a different way each time. Just like backtracking on the trail, maybe you dont want to drive the same road twice.

In all, there are 6 different ways to get to the Springer parking lot. There is a posting in the Trailhead section that outlines each. All require driving on FS roads for some duration. The amount of time you want to spend on those gravel, not regularly maintained, roads is up to you.

I would think that weather conditions will also play a part in your decisions. I wouldnt be spending too much time on gravel roads if there has been snow or ice that day, or the day before.

And if you are planning to take FS42 from Suches both ways, I would suggest you top off your tank at the gas station in Suches before you start.

As for the others that offer suggetions... Think about safety for a person heading into the woods. Which route would you recommend if it were your sister, daugher, or mother making this drive. What are the options if bad weather sets in, or a mechanical problem arises. Would you still recommend these routes if you took those sorts of things into consideration? Are the risks worth the 10-15 minutes you might save in actual driving time?

max patch
03-03-2009, 10:57
I've hiked in GA for 30 years; and I've driven to Springer every possible way there is.

The suggestion to drive the length of FS42 from Suches where it starts out as Cooper Gap Road to the Springer parking lot is -- without question -- the worst of all alternatives.

The comments that Ox made are spot on.

Bulldawg
03-03-2009, 11:01
All routes are possibilities. Any of the ones listed are likely to take an hour and a half or more to arrive at Springer. It will be a matter of your preference of driving on highway or gravel roads.

As was stated, what looks like the most direct route is to drive to Suches and catch Gooch Gap Rd / FS42. It will be a long, slow, bumpy ride for that 25 miles on the gravel road. If you drive in on this route, I would venture to say that you probably wont be driving it a second time after your hike. Have an alternate plan established for your second trip.

Speaking of.... maybe you want to go a different way each time. Just like backtracking on the trail, maybe you dont want to drive the same road twice.

In all, there are 6 different ways to get to the Springer parking lot. There is a posting in the Trailhead section that outlines each. All require driving on FS roads for some duration. The amount of time you want to spend on those gravel, not regularly maintained, roads is up to you.

I would think that weather conditions will also play a part in your decisions. I wouldnt be spending too much time on gravel roads if there has been snow or ice that day, or the day before.

And if you are planning to take FS42 from Suches both ways, I would suggest you top off your tank at the gas station in Suches before you start.

As for the others that offer suggetions... Think about safety for a person heading into the woods. Which route would you recommend if it were your sister, daugher, or mother making this drive. What are the options if bad weather sets in, or a mechanical problem arises. Would you still recommend these routes if you took those sorts of things into consideration? Are the risks worth the 10-15 minutes you might save in actual driving time?

I've hiked in GA for 30 years; and I've driven to Springer every possible way there is.

The suggestion to drive the length of FS42 from Suches where it starts out as Cooper Gap Road to the Springer parking lot is -- without question -- the worst of all alternatives.

The comments that Ox made are spot on.

I guess to each his own, but I happen to like FS42 from Suches. I've driven it numerous times in both a 4wd truck and several times in an Acura Integra! On the other hand, the road up from Frank Merrill or from Nimblewill is rough in a couple of places in recent memory. I guess we can all agree to disagree. But if I were asking my wife to come get me at Springer from Neel, it would need to be the least amount of turns possible, and that route IMO is FS42 from Suches. Drive your own drive!

Nearly Normal
03-07-2009, 02:22
Drive your own drive!

DYOD
Now that's funny. :D

FatMan
03-07-2009, 10:04
OK, this guy has to be totally confused by now. Let me correct some of the errors here. Bulldawg's directions will work, but it will be a right hand turn onto Cooper Gap road, not a left. As DWM mentions, a left will put him into Woody Lake.

All references to Gooch Gap Rd should read Cooper Gap Road. There is no such animal as Gooch Gap Rd in the area.

Just to keep the game on...it's Neels Gap.

DWM's confusion about Cooper Gap Rd has merit. Cooper Gap Rd technically runs from SR60 in Suches to Cooper Gap and then down to the Ranger Station (USFS 80) to the left. USFS42 continues straight at Cooper Gap towards Springer.

DWM's Gaddistown Road route will work too, and is probably the best road to Cooper Gap. The last half mile can be rough but I have not been that way in quite a while so I cannot speak to the conditions. The only problem with this route is that although scenic, it is a fair distance longer.

Now for FatMan's take. I live on Cooper Gap Rd in Suches and drive down to Springer often. I can tell you that USFS 42 (Cooper Gap Rd in Suches) is in decent shape and very passable in a family sedan. Currently it is pretty rough from Gooch Gap to Ward Gap, but still very passable in a sedan. With that said, If I were driving from Neels to Springer I would not take the route that goes directly past my house. I would avoid Suches all together as SR180 - Wolf Pen Gap Road is no bowl of cherries. Not only is it a very winding steep road you will also encounter tons of cyclists who seem to have a problem with yielding to vehicles. If I was driving a sedan I would head south from Neels Gap on 19/129 and take business 19/9 in Dahlonega and then turn right at the sign for Camp Merrill. Then I would turn right at the gate onto USFS 80 and drive up to Cooper Gap and turn left onto USFS 42 on to Springer. If I were in a four wheel drive with some decent clearance I would go to Nimblewell Church Road and go up USFS 77 which is quite steep in places.

Best bet, if you don't like forest service roads park at Amicolola hike a couple more miles per day. Driving time between Neels and ASP is considerably shorter than Neels to Springer.

I can even get you there quicker on back roads down in the valley but without knowing the area you could easily get lost because of no road name signs. But if interested send me a pm and I will be as specific as needed. Good Luck and enjoy your hike.

Boudin
03-07-2009, 10:49
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. Part of the fun of the trip the the excitement and anticipation of your hike on the AT. If you take FS42 from Suches, you will cross the trail numerous times and probably see hikers at each crossing. This will increase your anticipation. No way is fast, so I would go the most exciting way. (It's not exciting because of bad roads). I make that trip probably 20 times a year. I love it. Watching for hikers, seeing people I know, seeing the trail. Go for it! FS 42 is fine even if you are in a small car. You don't need a truck or four wheel drive. We have made several shuttles in a two door front wheel drive Ford Focus. Just don't drive crazy.

JaxHiker
03-07-2009, 11:33
Now I wish I would've kept the handheld GPS on driving from Hogpen to Woody. I can't remember which way we went from Neel to Woody but I remember the sign for Booger Hollow. :D

Firecap
03-07-2009, 15:05
5 of us from Florida will be doing the same trip as Stumpy (AFSP to Neels). We will be staying in the AFSP lodge Wednesday night April 29 and hiking to Neels Gap from there. We plan to hike Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to arrive at Neels Gap sometime Sunday. We will be doing the approach trail and all of us will be tenting. Any suggestions on how to break down the 4 days? Best place to camp? etc. We are firefighters in average to above average shape and have hiked several 1 day trips on the AT of about 8 to 14 miles (including Stecoah Gap to NOC). This is our first multi-day hike. We have most of our equipment and have done extensive research on the food and equipment needs. Any suggestions on camping locations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Egads
03-07-2009, 15:29
Any suggestions on camping locations would be greatly appreciated.

Plenty of campsites. No need to worry about this.

JaxHiker
03-07-2009, 15:31
There's a shelter (I forget the name) at the foot of Blood Mtn. It's at the junction of the Freeman Trail which goes around the mountain.

bloodmountainman
03-07-2009, 16:12
There's a shelter (I forget the name) at the foot of Blood Mtn. It's at the junction of the Freeman Trail which goes around the mountain.
That's Woods Hole shelter, and it's about 1 or two miles south of Freeman Trail junction.

jpelaston
03-07-2009, 16:27
My wife and I are doing this section on March 19- 23 and are starting from the top of springer off FR42 i think... I am looking to find anyone that could help us get back to the truck from Neels.

Bulldawg
03-07-2009, 17:18
Would a moderator please change the thread title to read Neel Gap??

Kirby
03-07-2009, 17:19
Easy hiking.

JaxHiker
03-07-2009, 21:57
That's Woods Hole shelter, and it's about 1 or two miles south of Freeman Trail junction.
Well, I think you're right about the name, and your name certainly shouldn't make me question, but I seriously disagree with the distance. Well, let's clarify. It may be a mile to the shelter from the AT but the trails for the shelter and the Freeman are spitting distance from each other...if you're a good spitter. :p

JaxHiker
03-07-2009, 22:05
Anal much? :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/at/1201_1060.jpg

And your picture is taken right outside Walasi-Yi. Read their website (http://www.mountaincrossings.com) and it says, "After 25 years of serving the hiking community at Neels Gap the little store nestled below Blood Mountain on the Appalachian Trail was given a six page feature article in Backpacker's November issue."

Does it really matter, though?

Kirby
03-07-2009, 22:42
I'm fond of how the AT in GA has almost all their gaps labeled, but almost none, if any, of their summits.

Bulldawg
03-08-2009, 00:32
Just got home from Neel Gap, I checked, the signs still say Neel Gap as of 10:49pm tonight!!

FatMan
03-08-2009, 09:30
Just got home from Neel Gap, I checked, the signs still say Neel Gap as of 10:49pm tonight!!Since you seem to be on some kind of crusade here to have Neels Gap renamed Neel Gap, here is the form (http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/name_form.htm) you and others on your crusade can use to get it changed. Until that time that the name is changed it will be called Neels Gap in all official publications and maps. Good Luck.

Egads
03-08-2009, 09:47
Doesn't matter if you call it Neels Gap or Neel Gap; we all know where it is.

Bulldawg
03-08-2009, 10:14
Since you seem to be on some kind of crusade here to have Neels Gap renamed Neel Gap, here is the form (http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/name_form.htm) you and others on your crusade can use to get it changed. Until that time that the name is changed it will be called Neels Gap in all official publications and maps. Good Luck.

I'm not on any stinking crusade FatMan. I just call it whatever I want to call it. I don't need any stinking government to tell me what a land feature is. If we really, really want to get real technical and take all the stinking government bull**** out of it, it is Frogtown Gap. The government thinks it has a right to 30-40% of my earnings, doesn't make it right. The government thinks I should be more than happy to give up a large portion of my earnings to supports it's programs, still doesn't mean it's right. Still doesn't mean I shouldn't question that. SO why does a government document on the internet that says it is NEELS mean any damn thing to me either!!

Doesn't matter if you call it Neels Gap or Neel Gap; we all know where it is.

YEP, YEP!! FatMan is the one who gets bent out of the frame, I'm just messing with him!!

Dances with Mice
03-08-2009, 10:20
The Illuminati control our maps, brother, not the government. The extra "s" is there for a reason.

Bulldawg
03-08-2009, 10:26
The Illuminati control our maps, brother, not the government. The extra "s" is there for a reason.

You may be right brother. I will try to get the plaques and all at Winton's changed before it gets him on the bad list!!!

Dances with Mice
03-08-2009, 10:27
You may be right brother. I will try to get the plaques and all at Winton's changed before it gets him on the bad list!!!Thanks for reminding me - tell him he is now "Winston".

Bulldawg
03-08-2009, 10:38
Thanks for reminding me - tell him he is now "Winston".

Right!! It really shouldn't matter honestly, since we all know which one he is anyway, right?

stumpy
03-08-2009, 10:44

Is it really that big of a deal? It must suck living a life where you have to be correct all time!

Let it go. Neel or Neels, it does not chage a thing about my question or any of the helpful responses.

LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!:D

max patch
03-08-2009, 11:22
Since you seem to be on some kind of crusade here to have Neels Gap renamed Neel Gap, here is the form (http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/name_form.htm) you and others on your crusade can use to get it changed. Until that time that the name is changed it will be called Neels Gap in all official publications and maps. Good Luck.

He also thinks that if you say it loud enough and long enough that the sun will set in east.

Hikes in Rain
03-08-2009, 11:59
Neel(s) Gap. Should make everyone happy.

daddytwosticks
03-08-2009, 14:26
I've always liked the view from Woodys Gap (or is it Woodies Gap). Yes, I am a pot stirrer....:)

ColdFire
03-08-2009, 23:09
It's really stupid how so many threads on this forum get so screwed up and off topic. This thread was and is for people that are looking for legitmate and helpful information for trips that are important to them! Can a mod please clean this thread up and only leave the posts that contain helpful info?

And for the 10th time or whatever, NO ONE GIVES A **** WHETHER/WEATHER IT IS NEILS/NEELS/NEEL GAP!! If you don't have anything useful to post then try not to muddle the threads with your stupid BS. Thanks in advance, CF

Bulldawg
03-09-2009, 10:09
It's really stupid how so many threads on this forum get so screwed up and off topic. This thread was and is for people that are looking for legitmate and helpful information for trips that are important to them! Can a mod please clean this thread up and only leave the posts that contain helpful info?

And for the 10th time or whatever, NO ONE GIVES A **** WHETHER/WEATHER IT IS NEILS/NEELS/NEEL GAP!! If you don't have anything useful to post then try not to muddle the threads with your stupid BS. Thanks in advance, CF

Wow, who are you the fun police? What is funny to me is that all the packsniffers around here that have ZERO sense of humor.

http://discount-prescription.com/products/prod-zanax.gif
http://www.findanypharmacy.com/xanax.jpg
http://www.xanaxdeals.com/images/xanax-pills.jpg
Try these, it will help, I promise!

Berserker
03-09-2009, 12:30
I am planning a section hike from Springer to Neesl gap coming up in a couple weeks. Would it be better to walk north or south? I know Blood Mountain will be the highest point. Should we tackle that first thing, or save it for last?
NOBO...Blood Mtn would be a nice finish to the trip. Plus as others have mentioned the climb up Blood going SOBO would be much more difficult.

Any suggestions on how to break down the 4 days? Best place to camp? etc.
I answered a guy in a thread on Springer to Deep Gap sometime in the recent past, and gave him the itinierary in which I hiked that section. You can check that out. As for camping, it's everywhere. being near a water source, and your group size would be the most limiting factors.

Firecap
03-09-2009, 15:25
Thanks Berserker, I'll try to find that post. There will be 5 or 6 of us. At this point I'm guessing we will just stop wherever we happen to be near evening. My main concern would be where is the best place for us to stop on the first night? We are starting from the lodge around 9am having done the stairs the night before. Thanks

Bulldawg
03-09-2009, 15:32
Thanks Berserker, I'll try to find that post. There will be 5 or 6 of us. At this point I'm guessing we will just stop wherever we happen to be near evening. My main concern would be where is the best place for us to stop on the first night? We are starting from the lodge around 9am having done the stairs the night before. Thanks

Plenty of places to camp all along the trail in Georgia!!

max patch
03-09-2009, 15:34
My main concern would be where is the best place for us to stop on the first night? We are starting from the lodge around 9am having done the stairs the night before. Thanks

"Most" hikers would camp on Springer. Play it by ear. If it is too early to stop,
there are tentsites and water at Stover Creek Shelter 2.5 miles furthur. Another 1.5 miles gets you to Three Forks.

Carry the Data Book or one of the Handbooks or the Georgia Guidebook and you'll know all the options.

Berserker
03-10-2009, 13:20
I don't know if you ever found that post (you can just click on my name and click the "View All Posts" option to find), but irregardless here's how I did the first 4 days (of a longer trip):
Day 1: Amicalola SP to Three Forks
Day 2: Three Forks to Gooch Gap Shelter
Day 3: Gooch Gap Shelter to Slaughter Creek tent sites
Day 4: Slaughter Creek tent sites to Low Gap Shelter (this is past Neel Gap)

I camped at Three Forks, Gooch Gap Shelter and Slaughter Creek tent sites the first 3 nights. I don't know how many tents you guys will have, but all three of those spots would accommodate your group well. Three Forks has several large spots (it's on a forest service road though, so be warned that there will probably be some car campers there), Gooch Gap has several tent pads near it, and Slaughter Creek tent sites has about 7 tent pads if I remember right. Note that the above itinerary is about 12 miles a day with Sunday being a short day (Slaughter Creek tent sites are a short ways from the Blood Mountain summit).