PDA

View Full Version : 60 mile section in VA... Where?

GotDuhka
03-02-2009, 13:34
Hey I'm trying to plan out a small hike for spring break. I have about 6-7 days and am planning on hiking around 60 miles. Anyone have a suggestion of where to do this 60 mile stretch in VA? S. VA closer to NC is preferable but some things are worth an extra couples hours driving so...:banana.

By the way. My spring break, like many of you, is actually still in winter, starting next weekend.

Blissful
03-02-2009, 14:23
Grayson Highlands State park. Hike AT north from Damascus. But be prepared for everything - cold, snow, warm, etc.

Groucho
03-02-2009, 16:44
Hey I'm trying to plan out a small hike for spring break. I have about 6-7 days and am planning on hiking around 60 miles. Anyone have a suggestion of where to do this 60 mile stretch in VA? S. VA closer to NC is preferable but some things are worth an extra couples hours driving so...:banana.

By the way. My spring break, like many of you, is actually still in winter, starting next weekend.

If you're leaving from the Durham area, Grayson Highlands S.P. off Rt. 58 is about 3 hrs. away. Good loop hikes from here using the AT and Iron Mountain Trails. You would need a good map, a Nat'l Geo or the Mt. Rogers map in the ATC SW Virginia packet.

You could also start from VA 16 at the Mt. Rogers Visitor Center, end at Damascus, and get a shuttle back to your car, if the Center allows parking now. This is ~ 64 mi.

bigcranky
03-02-2009, 17:13
Park in Damascus. Get a ride to the Mt Rogers Headquarters building. Hike the 65 miles southbound back to your car. The best section in Virginia.

Bidwell
03-02-2009, 18:47
lol - ditto what everyone else said.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 18:59
I concur with above, tho I'd also advise hiking South. It means an easy first day, which is always a nice thing, and your last day back into Damascus will be mostly a gentle downhill.

With ace local shuttler Lone Wolf temporarily out of commission, call the good folks at Mt. Rogers Outfitters (276) 475-5416 who can help you with shuttling; a safe place to leave a car; a place to get cleaned up after your trip's done, etc. They are THE go-to people if you're hiking anywhere near Damascus.

steve43
03-03-2009, 10:35
ditto w/ jack on hiking south. not only is it easier, you get to finish in damascus.

fifo