PDA

View Full Version : Slingshots?

zoidfu
03-02-2009, 13:45
Does anyone know of a reputable maker of custom slingshots? I think taking one along would be pretty fun for killing time... I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago...

And yes, I realize they aren't a toy and they can injure, maim, kill...

If you think it's a bad idea, don't hold back and if anyone has any input on the legality, please chime in.

rjohns94
03-02-2009, 13:51
http://www.slingshotsusa.com/

I would recommend the Chief Aj slingshot with the extra power- power bands. compact, light, fits in a pocket, is accurate and easy to use. I carry one whenever I am on the trail, or in the woods. Lots of fun and has lots of uses. Check the laws on their use though in the areas you are going through.

wrongway_08
03-02-2009, 15:13
Its gotta be illegal in a few of the states but who cares.... everything illegal somewhere.

Sounds like fun, bring it along.... I could see setting up a "shooting gallery" at shelters ... maybe place bets on who can knock down the most.

Ekul
03-02-2009, 15:29
Does anyone know of a reputable maker of custom slingshots? I think taking one along would be pretty fun for killing time... I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago...

If you think it's a bad idea, don't hold back and if anyone has any input on the legality, please chime in.

i brought one to shoot mice in the shelters on a section hike and quickly realized the damn thing is heavy as the ammo(unless you are using rocks). Now I just carry Trex rat trap. made of plastic and weighs a few ounces.

Fun none the less but I was too tired to play lol. Although, keeping the snoring beasts that also sleep in the shelters at bay could be fun enough.

Now I dont go near shelters and prefer the soft ground if im not hanging:D

OldStormcrow
03-02-2009, 15:34
The "Wristrocket", available at K-mart. It will put a glass marble through a piece of 3/4 inch plywood at 50 yards.

rjohns94
03-02-2009, 16:02
problem with the wrist rocket (and I own two, one that folds and one that does not) is that it really takes up space. The Chief AJ i mentioned above its only 3 oz and comes with a video on how to shoot it properly. it fits in the smallest of places and using a 35 mm canister, you can take days worth of ammo for playing around. I carry three canisters, a Chief and an extra band when ever i am in the woods, hiking, or hunting.

fehchet
03-02-2009, 16:03
Slingshot, huh? I've only used mine for holding things up, so to speak. Didn't realize one could target shoot with them too. probably work really slick.
I must say I am against killing mice in the shelters or anything else that walks or flies by.

kyhipo
03-02-2009, 16:06
had fun with them in seattle! but personally hope I am not around.ky

The Weasel
03-02-2009, 16:06

Many states and cities consider carrying a slingshot on your person but in a pocket a "concealed weapon," which, of course, it is, just as much as a gun. While I doubt that you will get busted, cuffed, cavity searched and dropped in the slam until Monday morning, a ranger/game warden/LEO may well use that as a pretext for arrest if you are a problem otherwise. Up to you, but it's a real risk.

TW

David S.
03-02-2009, 16:37
A slingshot actually looks like fun...especially after watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0)

middle to middle
03-02-2009, 16:40
I carried one for a swhile and enjoyed wacking deer in the trail. And Mice ! talk about shelter fun.

Sly
03-02-2009, 17:14
The "Wristrocket", available at K-mart. It will put a glass marble through a piece of 3/4 inch plywood at 50 yards.

Somehow I doubt that.

Kanati
03-02-2009, 17:35

Several years ago there was an older fellow from NC who appeared on the Johnny Carson show with his homemade slingshots. He shot rocks which he kept in a clorax bottle. He didn't aim but shot from the hip and could hit anything he wanted. He carried a small one in his sock. He called it a derringer. I wonder if anyone else remembers this episode?

As kids my 3 older brothers and I always made our slingshots using a 1/2" dogwood limb for the fork and red innertube rubber for the bands. For the pocket we used old shoe tongues. We lived on gravel roads as there weren't too many blacktopped back then so we had plenty of ammo in the form of round rocks as they went straight. It's surprising how accurate you can become after a little practice. When there wasn't any game to shoot at we turned to combat. I usually got the worst of it as I was the youngest and smallest.

As we became older, out combat turned to B-B guns. One of my brothers had to go to the doctor to have a B-B taken out of his lip and I had a
B-B ricochet of the house and cut the Iris of my eye before stopping against my nose.

Dad finally took up the B-B guns after it got too dangerous.

Country boys will survive.

Seeker
03-02-2009, 20:27
http://www.slinging.org/

these guys do it the old fashioned way. i'm trying to learn.

rjohns94
03-02-2009, 20:39
Seeker,

I have a sling hanging from my small truck rear view mirror. It is amazing how far one can throw an egg size rock with one. I didn't make mine, bought it off the hoodlums forum. I often use it around lakes and such. They are very fun but pretty hard to get accurate. David had to have practiced quite a lot. I have spent hours with mine. enjoy.

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 03:14
A slingshot actually looks like fun...especially after watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0)

That guy is the man! I wonder if he's still around....

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 03:15
http://www.slingshotsusa.com/

I would recommend the Chief Aj slingshot with the extra power- power bands. compact, light, fits in a pocket, is accurate and easy to use. I carry one whenever I am on the trail, or in the woods. Lots of fun and has lots of uses. Check the laws on their use though in the areas you are going through.

Thanks! I think I'm going to give that one a try.

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 03:18
That guy is the man! I wonder if he's still around....

Nope... He passed away in 1994:(

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 03:53
Of course they work. do you need it? It's really not that much work, but what's your honest motivation? only you know. maybe you might consider something larger.......

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 04:02
Of course they work. do you need it? It's really not that much work, but what's your honest motivation? only you know. maybe you might consider something larger.......

What?

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 04:07
Well, a Mossberg Mariner is a little heavy but it won't rust.

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 04:15
Well, a Mossberg Mariner is a little heavy but it won't rust.

Neither would an AT4 but I'm just looking to shoot the bean cans that get left in the firepit and not scare the s%^$ out of people.

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 04:19
Oh, wally world wrist rocket will do the job; obviously,skip the amo and use small stone's-giddy-up.

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 04:22
Oh, wally world wrist rocket will do the job; obviously,skip the amo and use small stone's-giddy-up.

I used to have one of those when I was younger and the bands would break all the time... That's why I was wondering about custom models.

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 04:24
It's still gonna have surgical(comparable) tubing, carry a spare

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 04:33
It's still gonna have surgical(comparable) tubing, carry a spare

Some have "flatbands"... I wonder if they are any better:-?

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 04:35
Too tech. for me bro. I just used to snoke sh- with mine.

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 04:37
"smoke SH-"

fiddlehead
03-03-2009, 04:39
We carried one on our thru in 2002 on the PCT.
We quickly made a rule: If we kill anything, we have to eat it.

We got pretty good at it but stuck to aiming for trees and rocks and things like that.
There are some shots in my video of that hike.

Have fun.

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 04:42
Fiddle, What did you get? I'm doin PCT this spring. Any advice in general? (besides being an ass, that can't be helped)

zoidfu
03-03-2009, 07:40
had fun with them in seattle! but personally hope I am not around.ky

You were in the Battle for Seattle?

fiddlehead
03-03-2009, 08:29
Fiddle, What did you get? I'm doin PCT this spring. Any advice in general? (besides being an ass, that can't be helped)

Advice? Slingshots are like guitars. the more you practice, the better you will get.
Have fun.

I might see you out there. I'm joining my buddy (Diamond Dave) in July for 2 weeks. He is starting at campo around April 15.

Wheeler
03-03-2009, 09:01
Giddy up! Ive got much more practice at a wrist rocket than a guitar,but won't have either.I did'nt catch "battle for Seattle"

mister krabs
03-03-2009, 09:53
slingshots.com (http://talk.slingshots.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13) has an interesting looking forum with references to a couple custom slingshot makers. The sponsoring company has some good looking aluminum slingshots, both with and without wrist braces with pretty impressive specs.

Looks like fun!

OldStormcrow
03-03-2009, 10:11
Somehow I doubt that.

Have you ever used one, or is this just some sort of "gut feeling" of your's? I wouldn't have claimed it would do this if I had not actually done so at some point. I have shot everything from rocks to steel shot to glass marbles to 3/4 steel ball bearings to round smoke bombs with these things.

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2009, 10:22
... if anyone has any input on the legality, please chime in.

Illegal in NJ (what isn't)--especially with hollow point ammo:rolleyes:(joke-maybe?). Statute 2c 39-1 (seriously, an NJ court could definitely give you jail time for possesion of a slingshot under the Graves Act)

Wrist braced slingshots are illegal in NY.

There are a few others but I don't remember them.

rjohns94
03-03-2009, 11:57
the Chief AJ has flat bands and the process of continuous dipping makes them stronger than the "surgical tubing" used for others. To get consistency out of a sling shot, you need consistent fodder for it. Rocks have angles that cause them to catch wind and plane out of true flight. A .375 round lead ball will devastate a half inch board with ease. Marbles, paint balls, round shot, steel ball bearings all work well and protect the bands, slingshot and fingers. Rocks tend to give inconsistent holding of the pouch and its only a matter of when, that the rock will contact tubing, fork, or finger. The Chief model is not a wrist braced model, and with proper form will last seasons before the bands need replacing. As i mentioned above, i always carry an extra band because nicks or such and can end the bands life quickly. good luck with your choice.

kayak karl
03-03-2009, 12:16
Illegal in NJ (what isn't
we regulate our state parks :rolleyes:http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/svbs_12-03/pt2_d.pdf you can't even spit on path.:)

bkrownd
03-05-2009, 15:58
To get consistency out of a sling shot, you need consistent fodder for it. Rocks have angles that cause them to catch wind and plane out of true flight. A .375 round lead ball will devastate a half inch board with ease. Marbles, paint balls, round shot, steel ball bearings all work well and protect the bands, slingshot and fingers.

The ammunition of choice when I was a kid was taconite pellets collected from the railroad tracks. Apparently those taconite trains are pretty leaky.

freakflyer9999
03-05-2009, 16:11
As a kid, we made our own slingshot and were pretty good at killing cans with them.

As I got older I bought a wrist rocket and actually hunter rabbits, squirrels and other small edible animals with it. Switched to steel ball bearings for ammo.

I think that the last time I used my wrist rocket was an attempt to kill a large rat in the bedroom of my wife's grandmother. She had heard it in the middle of the night scampering around in her bedsprings and closed the bedroom door as she went to sleep in the recliner.

When I got there the rat was still running around the room. My brother-in-law and I shot it at least a half dozen times with steel ball bearings and glass marbles. Never seemed to even phaze it. We finally used a piece of steel pipe to crush his skull.

I never had a problem killing squirrels or rabbits with just one shot, but that rat was tough.

Mother's Finest
03-05-2009, 16:29
I personally have been shot by a wrist rocket. it hurt like hell, but did not break the skin.

bout 25 yards hit me in the left rib cage area. I was wearing a t shirt.

peace
jip

Kanati
03-05-2009, 16:47
Some have "flatbands"... I wonder if they are any better:-?

Flat bands are no better at lasting than the round bands. The problem is that the bands stretch more where they are attached to the handle forks than at any other location along their length. This "over use" causes them to break down pretty quick. Just the nature of the physics. what we did as kids using red innertube tube, which btw was true rubber, was to cut them a little wider at the end where we attached them and that would spread the force along the entire length, and they would last longer. But this is very difficult to do with scissors.

Good luck and happy hiking. :sun

The_RD_Less_Trvld
03-05-2009, 18:41
are you looking for a wrist rocket or an actual forked slingshot?

4eyedbuzzard
03-05-2009, 19:42
we regulate our state parks :rolleyes:http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/svbs_12-03/pt2_d.pdf you can't even spit on path.:)

I'm a former native of the Garden State. Born in Neptune, last lived in Pt. Pleasant. Used to work in Somerville and Perth Amboy. Escaped in 1995 to NH (Live, Freeze, and Die). Was just down there two weekends ago helping out a relative. It definitely hasn't gotten any better over the last ten years. Not to worry though, the nanny police state mentality is eventually going to infect every place under the sun--but hopefully not until after I'm 6 feet under.

Kanati
03-05-2009, 19:54

Z, we used to make small sling shots from a coat hanger and use gum rubber, rubber bands. We carried these to high school and shot B-B's. We could hide these in our socks. These would be great for the trail as they are very light, shoot hard and are accurate. The only tool you need are some needle nose pliers. Get your gum rubber, rubber bands from an office supply store.

Don't worry about the silly laws. Just have fun!!!

kayak karl
03-05-2009, 20:15
http://www.netlinkenterprises.com/prodimages/PS-52.jpg

Laser Sight:D

rjohns94
03-05-2009, 21:36
The chief has round bands, not flat. My bad