PDA

View Full Version : Bear Buckets? Useful Or Useless?

BrianD
05-19-2004, 10:38
> Wondering how people feel about "BEAR" buckets...
>
> Here in the backwoods of NH, black Bear are fairly common, but not a
> threat. They are really laid back creatures.
>
> I have only had one come near my campsite but he or she didn't come
> that close, just getting nosey.
>
> I am a suscriber of the old school or Bear prevention and hang my
> food. I am just curious as how some others feel. Are these buckets
> worth the 2 pounds that they add to the pack?
>
> Let me hear what the world has to say on this subject..
>
> See you all in the woods.
>
> Brian
>
>
>
>
> "I was born an AMERICAN; I
> will live an AMERICAN; I
> shall die an AMERICAN."
> -Daniel Webster

Grimace
05-19-2004, 12:23
Bear cans are useful where Bears have been habituated to go after human food. For example, Yosemite. Bears know people have food and go and get it. Hanging food from trees no longer works in Yosemite. NOr does keeping it your car for that matter.

I agree that in the White Mtns you prob do not need to carry a bear can. However, as the Whites become a more popular destination and as there become more bear/human encounters, it is only a matter of time before they will become more necessary. Stupid humans who do not appropriately store their food now, will cause problems for everyone in the future.

A bigger concern in the Whites are mice, chipmunks, raccoons, etc.

funkyfreddy
05-19-2004, 12:29
Bear canisters are very useful, save you the bother of having to rig a bear bag at the end of a long hike. Bear canisters are also good as they prevent mice, racoons, chipmunks, etc. from getting into your food as well. I would recommend carrying one in NJ as the bears there seem very habituated to humans. I believe they will soon be required in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks due to the "bear problems" of the past few years.

Peaks
05-19-2004, 15:30
Bears know where to find food. It's at the popular tent sites. Most of these tent sites have a bear box or bear cable. So, there is really no need to lug along a bear can in the White Mountains. Bears probably will not bother you if you camp at some place other than established campsites, or if you camp at the less popular tent sites.

Now, in the Adirondacks, the bears there are smarter than the average bear. So, when staying at one of the popular sites there, like Marcy Dam, Lake Coldin, and Flowed Lands, I would definately bring along a bear can.