PDA

View Full Version : Issues with National Geographic TOPO! Explorer.

dloome
03-02-2009, 18:26
I usually find free topos online, but needed a bunch of maps for a Spring Break hike coming up in a couple weeks so I downloaded the Explorer application and some quads I need. I've more or less figured out the useful features of the program and learned the avoid the plethora of confusing and useless features that I've found the program riddled with.

My problem is this: I don't have a printer. (I usually save files to a CD-ROM and bring them to Staples or something which yields much better results than I'd get at home). After downloading the quads and sizing them to print, where can I go from there? The program doesn't give me any options for converting the file to jpeg or any format I can use, doesn't allow me to copy it into another program that I can save onto a disc and in fact doesn't seem to offer any way of saving the file at all. So far I am thoroughly unimpressed with the Explorer program, but would feel a lot better about spending the $25 if I could figure out how to just print the darn maps. :mad: Any input?

Kanati
03-02-2009, 22:06
If you can download the maps to a CD you may be able to carry it to a Fed-Ex Kinkos and have them printed for little cost. I recently left a construction site in Detroit with some drawings I had made that were 11 x 17 inches. I had 5 pages and they printed me 3 sets, 15 in all for $3.64

I'm guessing that Flaggstaff has one of these stores. If they do, give them a call.

Happy hiking.

Mr. Parkay
03-02-2009, 22:37
Hey Bleach,

Here's an idea:

First, install the freeware program CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/). Basically, cutePDF creates a fake printer driver, which captures data sent to the printer and turns it into a PDF document instead. When you press "print" within TOPO, cutPDF will create a PDF file on your desktop containing the output which would normally be sent to the printer.

Anyway, you'll end up with a bunch of PDF files, which you can take to Kinko's to get printed.

Hope this works!

dloome
03-03-2009, 21:50
Hey Bleach,

Here's an idea:

First, install the freeware program CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/). Basically, cutePDF creates a fake printer driver, which captures data sent to the printer and turns it into a PDF document instead. When you press "print" within TOPO, cutPDF will create a PDF file on your desktop containing the output which would normally be sent to the printer.

Anyway, you'll end up with a bunch of PDF files, which you can take to Kinko's to get printed.

Hope this works!

YES! YES! YESSSS!!!!! It worked. I was just about to claw my eyes out with this thing. :banana Thanks a bunch!

hikingshoes
03-03-2009, 22:21
hey what type of construction you do?Im a pipefitter(9.5yrs):)(
If you can download the maps to a CD you may be able to carry it to a Fed-Ex Kinkos and have them printed for little cost. I recently left a construction site in Detroit with some drawings I had made that were 11 x 17 inches. I had 5 pages and they printed me 3 sets, 15 in all for $3.64

I'm guessing that Flaggstaff has one of these stores. If they do, give them a call.

Happy hiking.