PDA

View Full Version : How Does the AT cross US23/I26, NC/TN?

mikec
03-02-2009, 20:52
When I did this section in 1999, I26 was under construction. When I got to Sams Gap, the traffic was all backed up and there was a state trooper parked at the AT crossing. He would literally stop traffic and let hikers cross that busy road. Now that I26 is open, how does the trail cross this road? Is there a bridge, an overpass, an underpass? Or do you take your life into your hands like you do when you cross the Palisades Parkway in NY? Just curious.

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 20:57
I26 passes over US23 on a bridge. There is no exit there for the interstate. The AT is a short road walk on US23 under that bridge.

Cabin Fever
03-02-2009, 21:28
There is also a rest stop for I-26 on both sides. Shuttlers often drop the hikers off here either going or coming. You can hope right off the rest stop and onto the Trail. Did it myself last Saturday.

Ron Haven
03-02-2009, 21:33
I26 passes over US23 on a bridge. There is no exit there for the interstate. The AT is a short road walk on US23 under that bridge.Where it passes under I-26 going north on the A T you hike a few hundred feet and turn left up onto the trail.To get to there on the rd.You have to travel to the bottom of the hill going east on I-26 and exit off of the Wolf Laural exit and turn left to US23 and turn left again and drive up to the top.Just before you go under the under pass of I-26 the trail then turns right up the hill before Sams Gap.

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2009, 21:40
When I did this section in 1999, I26 was under construction. When I got to Sams Gap, the traffic was all backed up and there was a state trooper parked at the AT crossing. He would literally stop traffic and let hikers cross that busy road. Now that I26 is open, how does the trail cross this road? Is there a bridge, an overpass, an underpass? Or do you take your life into your hands like you do when you cross the Palisades Parkway in NY? Just curious.There is no immediate interstate access, it is fenced at the truck check stations but the overlook on the TN side is under a half a mile from trail. The trail passes under I26. The road goes by different names; Sams Gap Road/Old Asheville Highway/Old US 23/Flag Pond Road.

In order to access the trail from TN, you have to get off at Exit 50 (Flag Pond) on the Tennessee side which will turn left onto Upper Higgins Creek Road, then a left on Flag Pond Road.

Or you can take Exit 3/4 (Wolf Laurel) in NC, then left on Little Creek/Sams Gap Road.

There is a a maintained parking lot at Sams Gap. Nobo Trail is a gated stile, directly across from the parking lot, that switchbacks up to a right-of-way gate. Sobo trail goes under the bridge then immediately climbs up a steep drive to a cemetary. There is a AT post marker where it leaves the drive.

Cabin Fever
03-02-2009, 21:41
There is no immediate interstate access, it is fenced. The trail passes under a bridge. The road is considered goes by Sams Gap Road/Old Asheville Highway/Old US 23/Flag Pond Road.

In order to access the trail from TN, you have to get off at Exit 50 (Flag Pond) on the Tennessee side which will turn left onto Upper Higgins Creek Road, then a left on Flag Pond Road.

Or you can take Exit 3/4 (Wolf Laurel) in NC, then left on Little Creek/Sams Gap Road.

There is a a maintained parking lot at Sams Gap. Nobo Trail is a gated stile, directly across from the parking lot, that switchbacks up to a right-of-way gate. Sobo trail goes under the bridge then immediately climbs up a steep drive to a cemetary. There is a AT post marker where it leaves the drive.

The northbound/westbound side of I-26 is super easy to access the Trail from the rest stop. It is a standard cattle gate. Saw it myself Saturday. Two steps and you are over it.

Tennessee Viking
03-02-2009, 21:49
The northbound/westbound side of I-26 is super easy to access the Trail from the rest stop. It is a standard cattle gate. Saw it myself Saturday. Two steps and you are over it.Can you park there? My buds on the Highway Patrol say there is no car parking there since its a truck check station.

mikec
03-03-2009, 17:27
I'm glad that it's improved since I came through there. Thanks.

DiamondDoug
03-04-2009, 15:19
The "Hikers Yield To Traffic" sign that was there during construction is now in my office. :)

Cabin Fever
03-04-2009, 16:03
Can you park there? My buds on the Highway Patrol say there is no car parking there since its a truck check station.

No, you cannot park there, but Uncle J dropped me off there last year for a section hike to Erwin.