PDA

View Full Version : How much should a typical thru hike pack weigh starting out?

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:02
I was looking to get into the 28-35 lb marker? Is that legit?

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 21:03
You will be fine. Others will tell go heavier and others lighter. That ain't a bad zone for a starting pack weight.

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:09
I just weighed in at 34 lbs. and I'd like to eliminate things I know I wont need..but I want most things I have in there.

Heaviest items are food..and well, i can easily get rid of those into my stomach on the hike.

bigcranky
03-02-2009, 21:12
If your pack is at 34 pounds *with* food and water, you should be fine. Have a great hike.

fiddlehead
03-02-2009, 21:13
Depends if you resupply at neals gap or not.
I always do and start out with 2 days food.
That makes for a much lighter pack and helps get my trail legs in shape without hurting my back.

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 21:14
Half my pack weight was consumables when I left town. For me a good rule of thumb was if my gear weighed more than my food bag - I was carrying too much gear.

You will work some things out on the trail. Some things you are told you need or you feel you cannot live without will somehow seem less important and you will get rid of them. Don't be afraid...

Some things you didn't think of will become apparent. There are lots of places on the trail to get those minor things. Don't try to anticipate every need before you go or you will end up with more stuff falling under the previous paragraph.

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:15
If your pack is at 34 pounds *with* food and water, you should be fine. Have a great hike.

It is with food. I'll be bringing along two water bottles. I've got a water bottle holder on my pack so im not too worried about that added weight as im used to hiking with a platypus bladder which is absurdly heavy to me, haha

Depends if you resupply at neals gap or not.
I always do and start out with 2 days food.
That makes for a much lighter pack and helps get my trail legs in shape without hurting my back.

I will resupply at neels gap. I'm bringing about 3-4 days of food. 3 days for sure, I could stretch it to 4.

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:17
Half my pack weight was consumables when I left town. For me a good rule of thumb was if my gear weighed more than my food bag - I was carrying too much gear.

You will work some things out on the trail. Some things you are told you need or you feel you cannot live without will somehow seem less important and you will get rid of them. Don't be afraid...

Some things you didn't think of will become apparent. There are lots of places on the trail to get those minor things. Don't try to anticipate every need before you go or you will end up with more stuff falling under the previous paragraph.

I'm trying to look at the things ive packed but I essentially WANT all of them. Im interested to see what i choose to get rid of along the way

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 21:18
I'm trying to look at the things ive packed but I essentially WANT all of them. Im interested to see what i choose to get rid of along the way
Wants are sometimes harder to shed than you think.

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:22
Wants are sometimes harder to shed than you think.

truer words were never spoken. It's obvious that im bringing items i could live without (i.e. ipod, book to read, pillow, etc). but i can justify each as much as I can food!

stranger
03-02-2009, 21:31
I would say 35 with food and water might be a tad heavy considering you can resupply at mile 30, then 66, then 107, etc... but of course it comes down to mileage, I met people at Neels Gap that had started 3 days before me - everyone does different miles so pack weight will generally vary based on that. I think a base weight of 18-20lbs is something that is both easy to achieve and relatively light if you are only carrying 2-3 days of food.

My pack was alot heavier leaving Hot Springs than leaving Springer, cause I left Springer with 1.5 days of food and Hot Springs with 3.5 days, and I was eating much more at mile 270 than at mile 1.

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:33
I would say 35 with food and water might be a tad heavy considering you can resupply at mile 30, then 66, then 107, etc... but of course it comes down to mileage, I met people at Neels Gap that had started 3 days before me - everyone does different miles so pack weight will generally vary based on that. I think a base weight of 18-20lbs is something that is both easy to achieve and relatively light if you are only carrying 2-3 days of food.

My pack was alot heavier leaving Hot Springs than leaving Springer, cause I left Springer with 1.5 days of food and Hot Springs with 3.5 days, and I was eating much more at mile 270 than at mile 1.

On the last trip I went on, I underpacked food-wise..so this time I probably overpacked, which is quite alright with me.

When I get to the smokies I'm gonna have to figure out how I should resupply since resupply points are fewer and far between

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 21:37
Mail yourself some food to Fontanna from Franklin. Figure out what you need for about 3 days. If you miss anything you can pick it up at Fontanna while you are there. It is easy to get into Fontanna - you walk right up to a heated bathroom with a phone that calls the shuttle.

When you get to Newfound Gap hitch down to Gatvegas. It usually takes about 10 minutes to get a hitch - less if you are hitching with a girl. Resupply there 3 days, maybe get a cheap hotel. Get the outfitter to shuttle you back up if you cannot get a hitch back up.

Hike to Standing Bear and get 2 days food from the resupply room.

Kanati
03-02-2009, 21:41
[quote=SGT Rock;792941]Half my pack weight was consumables when I left town. For me a good rule of thumb was if my gear weighed more than my food bag - I was carrying too much gear.

Try as I might, I just can't get to this level. But, I don't seem to be overburdened at 33 lbs with 3-4 days food and 64 ounces of water. I would anyway like to return to the trail at about 28 pounds total if possible.

When I stop by to pick up my fj liner I would like to spend a few minutes with you on this subject if you've got time. .

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:44
I'm trying not to mail myself any food but if it comes down to that I guess I could. I was trying to just resupply at the towns as I go along

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 21:45
[quote=SGT Rock;792941]Half my pack weight was consumables when I left town. For me a good rule of thumb was if my gear weighed more than my food bag - I was carrying too much gear.

Try as I might, I just can't get to this level. But, I don't seem to be overburdened at 33 lbs with 3-4 days food and 64 ounces of water. I would anyway like to return to the trail at about 28 pounds total if possible.

When I stop by to pick up my fj liner I would like to spend a few minutes with you on this subject if you've got time. .
Absolutly. I'll bring my pack.

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 21:47
I'm trying not to mail myself any food but if it comes down to that I guess I could. I was trying to just resupply at the towns as I go along
Well if you think about it, this is buying as you go. You are mailing from the last big town what you like to eat and what is available. It isn't like buying now only to find two weeks later you cannot stand oatmeal anymore.

Just buy 8 days of food at Franklin where it is cheap and mail half to yourself in Fontanna. You COULD buy what you need in Fontanna, but it ain't cheap. And their store ain't big, so there is a chance you get what is left over by the 300 guys in front of you.

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 21:49
hmm..that is an excellent point.

bigcranky
03-02-2009, 22:04
On the last trip I went on, I underpacked food-wise..so this time I probably overpacked, which is quite alright with me.

Me too. I was very hungry when we finally got to Hot Springs on our 2007 section, and made some poor choices in what I consumed in town. Erp.

I am leaving Deep Gap on Saturday with 19 pounds of gear, a 9 pound food bag, and a liter of water. I need 4+ days of food to get to Neels Gap to resupply. I am very happy and comfortable with that pack weight.

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 22:06
Me too. I was very hungry when we finally got to Hot Springs on our 2007 section, and made some poor choices in what I consumed in town. Erp.

I am leaving Deep Gap on Saturday with 19 pounds of gear, a 9 pound food bag, and a liter of water. I need 4+ days of food to get to Neels Gap to resupply. I am very happy and comfortable with that pack weight.

see I'd like to be in the high 20s as far as pack weight..I'll live with what I've got I guess.

Meh, I'll probably end up mailing some stuff home in the beginning anyhow!

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 22:11
I hiked with 16 pounds in winter for the gear. I added a little since then. My base is about 11.5 pounds in summer. Fall/Spring is somewhere in the middle.

I carried about 2 pounds in bourbon

I carried about 1 pound in water.

I carried about 1 pound in miscellaneous consumables.

And I carried about 10 pounds of food. That is about 4 days food for me - I like to eat.

The most my pack ever weighed was about 35 pounds leaving Damasus. I had 5 days of food (about 12.5 pounds) plus a box of fried chicken and biscuits plus a few cigars with all my winter stuff.

bigcranky
03-02-2009, 22:28
I could knock off a pound in shelter weight, but my kid swiped my bivy and tarp for a trip to the Southwest for her spring break. So I'm taking our Double Rainbow. Not sure what I'm going to do with all that space...

SGT Rock
03-02-2009, 22:33
Oh I could have knocked off a pound or two from my pack as well. But I started with stuff people told me I would absolutely need and it turned out I was right thinking I didn't. I also started with some stuff I thought I might need based on a few winter hikes - but I didn't this time. And I started off with a few things I wanted that I got rid of...

But I also ended up adding in a few things I didn't plan for initially. And I ended up changing some things and bringing some new things that it turned out I wanted and carrying them didn't hurt me - and they made my hike more enjoyable.

In the end, weight is something you should obsess about. BUT it isn't something you should let kill your hike by going too heavy to take everything or too light to drive the fun away.

TOW
03-02-2009, 22:37
A typical pack when you are first starting out should weigh in around a couple of hundred pounds..........you'll fugure out how lite it should be after that.......

RememberYourZen
03-02-2009, 22:46
A typical pack when you are first starting out should weigh in around a couple of hundred pounds..........you'll fugure out how lite it should be after that.......

hahahah aint that the truth

Blissful
03-02-2009, 23:46

Looks good.

double d
03-03-2009, 01:46
RememberYourZen, you might want to do some "shake down" hikes, such as, go on a 3 day hike (Say FRi. to Sunday afternoon) and find out what you like to carry and what is not needed. It always helps, but you can't go wrong with good ol' Sgt.Rock's advice. Good luck and have fun.

Big Dawg
03-03-2009, 10:07
To me, the right pack weight depends on the size of the person. How big are you? Pack weight comfort will probably be different for a person 5'3" & 120 lbs versus a person 6'5" & 250 lbs. I'm the latter, and feel light & free w/ a total pack weight (w/ 7 days food & 2 liters water) of 38 lbs. To me, each person has to find the right balance of wants & needs, & the willingness to carry it.

maxNcathy
03-03-2009, 10:20
You will carry far more food than you need to..like I do most of the time.This year I hope to wisen up.
Sandalwood

Doctari
03-03-2009, 14:14
Like Sgt Rock says "Don't try to anticipate every need before you go" cause that is a sure way to add un-needed pounds. On my first long trip I used about 30 Lbs of gear, counting food. Actually carried over 65 Lbs of Stuff! OR: over 35 Lbs of "Anticipation". :cool:

Footslogger
03-03-2009, 14:18
Hindsight is 20/20 ...as the saying goes.

I started off at Springer in 2003 carrying around 43 lbs. After downsizing my pack and widdling away at the unecessary stuff I finished at Katahdin carrying 26lbs.

If I had it to do all over again I would have tried to start at my finishing carrying weight - mid 20lb range.

'Slogger

Pony
03-03-2009, 15:38
If you want to feel better about your pack weight read the sign in book at
Amicalola Falls. I was freaking out about my 46 lb pack until I read it. I was shocked by the amount of people starting with 60-80 lbs of stuff. After Neels Gap my weight was around 35 lbs and that was comfortable for me. I stopped weighing my pack, because it seemed like if I knew how much it weighed then I thought about it more. If it felt heavier than I wanted leaving town, then I would eat a lot of food on my first day out of town. Get some real food in your stomach before you resupply in town, or you'll most likely buy more food than you need.

JAK
03-03-2009, 15:51
It isn't rocket science to get down to 20 pounds plus 10 pounds of food and water.

It takes only one 2-5 day hike in summer to learn you need less food.
It takes a second 2-5 day hikes in summer to learn you need less clothing.
It takes a third 2-5 day hike to learn your shelter can be much much lighter.
Then you realize your tent is still fun, but your backpack was a total waste of money.

Then you get angry and decide to figure things out for yourself from then on.
You might freeze and starve a little on your first winter trip, but at your making your own mistakes.

SGT Rock
03-03-2009, 20:31
To me, the right pack weight depends on the size of the person. How big are you? Pack weight comfort will probably be different for a person 5'3" & 120 lbs versus a person 6'5" & 250 lbs. I'm the latter, and feel light & free w/ a total pack weight (w/ 7 days food & 2 liters water) of 38 lbs. To me, each person has to find the right balance of wants & needs, & the willingness to carry it.

Good point. I would just say take into account body shape too. So if you are 6'5" 250 pounds and are overweight - your body fat could be around 75 pounds - and your lean body mass is only 175. So in essence you already are carrying a 75 pound pack of food that you body has yet to digest. Now add a 35 pound pack in you are in the range of effort of 110 pounds for a 175 pound frame. If you just went by straight body weight it would seem you are only carrying a pack that is 14% of your weight, but if you compare your pack to your lean body mass it is more like 20% which is a more realistic way to gauge it. A hiker with that much body fat is probably going to end up burning it up on his hike and wonder how he got so skinny.

For what it is worth - this is how I figure a person should determine their From Skin Out Weight (FSO). So if you figure your LBM to be 175, then you want the weight of everything you wear and carry to come in at about 44 pounds. I say that because when you look at some folks gear list they "cheat" by having extra fanny packs and stuffed pockets to get that pack weight to 35 pounds, but have 12 pounds of other stuff.

OK, so say I am 5'8" 175, I have about a 10% bodyfat - so I have an LBM of about 157 pounds. That means I want to keep my FSO weight down to about 39 pounds so I'm only at 1/4 my LBM for what I have to carry. That is just a goal and these are all done using beer math. There is no hard rule.

lingo
03-05-2009, 02:05
Rock, I like the idea of using LBM as a determining factor in pack weight. After doing a little beer math of my own, I feel better about my pack. I am used to carrying about 50 lbs of gear through the woods for work. I was getting tired of people that I have talked to about my 40lb pack being too much. My #'s are close to yours. That is the first reasonable way I have seen of roughly determining pack weight. Thanks

JAK
03-05-2009, 09:17
I use height squared, as a good target FSO weight for adults.
That would be 25 pounds for 5', 36 pounds for 6'.

Lean body mass is probably better, and a good thing to know anyways.

Here is a good site for estimating lean body mass, based on weight, height, and waist line.
There are more accurate formulas, but waist line is a good thing to watch anyways.
http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/

I am 6' 0.5", 220 pounds, 43" waist
So I am 28.2% fat, which is 62#, so my lean body mass is 158#.
I think my lean body mass is actually a bit lower than than, but I'll take it.
It also estimates my basal metabolism and surface area, which is pretty cool.

Anyhow, 36 pounds FSO feels good for me, but when I am 230 I find it hard, and when I am down to 200 I find it very easy. Everyone is different by I feel it mostly in the mid-back, and the feet, and of course in the number of miles I can do in a day. In summer I try and go as low as 20 pounds FSO so I can run some, Spring/Fall 30 pounds, Winter as high as 40 pounds if I go out long enough, but 30 if on skis for just a weekend.

Big Dawg
03-05-2009, 13:59
Good point. I would just say take into account body shape too. So if you are 6'5" 250 pounds and are overweight - your body fat could be around 75 pounds - and your lean body mass is only 175. So in essence you already are carrying a 75 pound pack of food that you body has yet to digest. Now add a 35 pound pack in you are in the range of effort of 110 pounds for a 175 pound frame. If you just went by straight body weight it would seem you are only carrying a pack that is 14% of your weight, but if you compare your pack to your lean body mass it is more like 20% which is a more realistic way to gauge it. A hiker with that much body fat is probably going to end up burning it up on his hike and wonder how he got so skinny.........

Good info, Rock. I agree. &.... you called me out,,,, YES, I'm fat.:o hahahaha. Seriously, the reduction of the "50+ lb fat pack" I wear all the time would make me feel like I'm flying. I think if I got down to 175, I'd look emaciated, but understand what you mean re: LBM. Honestly, 200 lbs is prolly a good weight for me. I'm working on it. FWIW, last year this time I was 330 lbs. I've come a long way baby!! :D

JAK
03-05-2009, 14:14
Well done Big Dawg. You must feel great now.
How did you do it? Was if hiking or dieting or both?

I'm 6' 0.5" and 220#, so we have the same BMI.
I want to get down to 200# by summer, eventually 175#, maybe more.

At 6'5" 200# would be a great hiking weight. That would be like me at 175#.

Big Dawg
03-05-2009, 15:48
Well done Big Dawg. You must feel great now.
How did you do it? Was if hiking or dieting or both?

I'm 6' 0.5" and 220#, so we have the same BMI.
I want to get down to 200# by summer, eventually 175#, maybe more.

At 6'5" 200# would be a great hiking weight. That would be like me at 175#.

Thanks! I feel awesome, but realize at 200 lbs or lower, I'd feel,,, well,, friggin incredible!

A couple of things assisted my journey,,,,,, diet, excercise (hiking, Power 90, & I also own/operate a landscaping business). I could've been at 200 easy by now if I'd have stayed the straight and narrow, but it's been a roller coaster ride,,,, damn delicious food:rolleyes:. That's ok, I'm heading in the right direction.

I summitted Katahdin 8/07 w/ a buddy, Diablo, who thru'd that year, & I was around 300. It kicked my ass. That was one of the catalysts to my weight loss journey. I set a goal that once I reached 210, I'd head back up to Maine & kick some K ass... & take on the Knife edge too!

garlic08
03-05-2009, 16:16
I know this is an AT forum, but I think it's interesting that if this discussion were on a PCT forum, the pack weights would be about 1/2 of what is being discussed here. On the AT, you can carry pretty much whatever you want and still hike it in six months or so. But many hikers carry a much lighter load and have a different kind of experience. It all depends on what kind of hike you want to do, and you can adjust as you go, as many have already said.

I like Sgt Rock's post about the food bag outweighing everything else in the pack. Mine's the same, especially for the longer (100 mile) food carries.

bigcranky
03-05-2009, 16:27
I know this is an AT forum, but I think it's interesting that if this discussion were on a PCT forum, the pack weights would be about 1/2 of what is being discussed here.

I think part of that is weather at the start. Hiking in early March in Georgia is different from hiking in southern California desert in late April.

The other part may be resupply and water -- if I know I have to hump a gallon or more of water, and carry a lot of food, I'm more likely to keep my pack weight down to start with.

Finally, overall weather and rain conditions are different, most of the way. The limited hiking I've done out West was *very* different than AT Hiking in terms of rain, in both duration and amount.

JAK
03-05-2009, 16:34
I also think that is a great guideline, that half the weight should be food.

Another guideline that I like is that insulation, meaning wool, fleece, down fill, blue foam pads, etc, should be at least half the weight of all your gear. I came up with that while lugging an 8 pound tent around one January. I had enough insulation as it turned out, but way too much metal and nylon, and not enough food as I was slowed down.

So 50% Food, 25% Insulation, 25% for all the rest. See now say 30 pounds. 15 pounds food, thats food for about 10 days, perhaps 7 days in winter. 7.5 pounds of insulation might be 2 pounds in the sleeping bag, 8oz in blue foam pad, and 5 pounds in clothing, not counting shells. By my reckoning 5 pounds of clothing, 80oz, is good for 80 degrees below 80F, so 0F. That leaves 7.5 pounds for your pack, footgear, shelter, sleeping bag shell, rain shell, wind shells. Works for me.

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 20:48
Rock, I like the idea of using LBM as a determining factor in pack weight. After doing a little beer math of my own, I feel better about my pack. I am used to carrying about 50 lbs of gear through the woods for work. I was getting tired of people that I have talked to about my 40lb pack being too much. My #'s are close to yours. That is the first reasonable way I have seen of roughly determining pack weight. Thanks

Good to go. It just makes sense that a bigger guy should be able to carry more weight and at times will need to carry more weight in order to have gear to fit their frame. I have carried a lot more weight for work and when doing trail maintenance, but this gives you a zone...

Good info, Rock. I agree. &.... you called me out,,,, YES, I'm fat.:o hahahaha. Seriously, the reduction of the "50+ lb fat pack" I wear all the time would make me feel like I'm flying. I think if I got down to 175, I'd look emaciated, but understand what you mean re: LBM. Honestly, 200 lbs is prolly a good weight for me. I'm working on it. FWIW, last year this time I was 330 lbs. I've come a long way baby!! :D

Glad I could help to throw some sense into it. Keep on hiking and you will do fine. Every time I hear someone at work bitching about not being able to lose weight, I tell them I have the perfect weight loss plan. They can eat all they want, but they have to carry everything they eat 10 miles a day on the AT and all the other stuff they will need too. I figure 1 week per 10 pounds is about right.

I know this is an AT forum, but I think it's interesting that if this discussion were on a PCT forum, the pack weights would be about 1/2 of what is being discussed here. On the AT, you can carry pretty much whatever you want and still hike it in six months or so. But many hikers carry a much lighter load and have a different kind of experience. It all depends on what kind of hike you want to do, and you can adjust as you go, as many have already said.

I like Sgt Rock's post about the food bag outweighing everything else in the pack. Mine's the same, especially for the longer (100 mile) food carries.
I've thought about that. I've looked at some PCT gear lists and figure I would probably drop about 3 - 4 pounds of gear weight based on what I have seen. Lose the hammock and it's stuff, and some of the cold weather clothing I hike with in winter here. But 6 or 7 days of food at a shot, and desert where you need a gallon or so of water. Great thing with that sort of hiking is the weight goes down to very little the longer you are out in the wilderness.

maxNcathy
03-05-2009, 20:56
My pack is 19 pounds loaded with 3 days food and 2 litres of water..check out www.gossamergear.com (http://www.gossamergear.com) for help with shelter and pack weights.
Sandalwood

hiketech
04-21-2009, 17:23
truer words were never spoken. It's obvious that im bringing items i could live without (i.e. ipod, book to read, pillow, etc). but i can justify each as much as I can food!

One thing that I do when at the gym, commuting (car and subway/train), even during downtime at work or at home, is to do away with the bulk from my books by purchasing them on CD and ripping them to mp3 format (well I use Linux, so technically I prefer ogg), and then transferring them to my mp3 player.

Now don't get me wrong, there is something both special and uniquely soothing gained from reading a book, but logistically speaking, and if for no other reason than just wanting to knock out a few additional books, especially for scholastic purposes, listening to them on my mp3 player is an acceptable compromise. With high quality earphones and by lowering your player's volume, you can greatly extend battery life as well.

I'm planning a 2010 thruhike with my girlfriend, we're both avid readers, and we'll both be using mp3 players and cell phones for storing music, books, ebooks, maps, trail data, etc.; these will not contain vital information, just supplementary info, and should lighten our load just a bit.

stranger
04-21-2009, 22:24
Starting out 28 would be good, especially when you might only have 2-3 days of food until Neels Gap.

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 22:55
with or without the dogfood and the dogs gear?