PDA

View Full Version : Budget $14 pot set 11oz .7 & 1.9L non stick

tuswm
03-02-2009, 22:26
I have read different threads about the tragically discontinued Wal-Mart grease pot and the target grease pot that I wasn't crazy about. I went in search of a new pot. I found this....

Product Description

Amazon.com Review
When navigating the great outdoors with only a backpack to carry supplies, nothing is more important than lightweight and compact gear. With this in mind, Open Country’s portable cooking set features lightweight metal construction and nests to take up minimal space. The entire set measures 6-1/4 by 4-1/2 inches when ready for transport, and weighs only 11 ounces. Two kettles with 0.7 and 1.9 liter capacities come with accompanying lids that rest inside each pot opening. Small D-shaped handles enable easy lid removal and take up minimal space. A compact aluminum clamp measuring 5 by 1 by 1-1/4 inches firmly grips kettle edges to keep fingers safe and provide control and safety during cooking. Exterior and interior pot surfaces feature a single layer of nonstick coating for easy cleanup and are dent-resistant. This kit was made in the United States. -- Amy Arnold
What’s in the Box
0.7 liter kettle with lid; 1.9 liter kettle with lid; 5-inch aluminum clamp

Product Description
MESS KIT 5 PIECE ALUMINUM

Lightweight set. Weight: 14.1 oz.

3 cup Kettle with lid.
2 quart kettle with lid and grab handle.
Coated with non-stick Xylan or hard anodized.
3 Cup pot also available separately.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AYVK8JQ3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Because of my job I only get to hike in the winter. I started off with a pocket rocket and tall 1L pot. That did not work well in the winter at all. Then I was lucky enough to get a MSR Reactor for free and it was great but only if it had a fresh canister. So then I got lucky again and got a MSR Simmerlite. The stove was great in cold weather just don't start it in a tent.

But I am still using a 1L solo pot, at night you could see the flames from the wide burner go right around the sides of the narrow pot. Well last weekend in a shelter a fellow hiker used my stove with a much shorter wider pot and it boiled water in like half the time. So I tried it when I got home. My solo pot is less then 4" wide and took over twice as much time to boil 2 cups of water then a pot at home that was 6.5". Then I Ordered this set, Ill post up a review when it comes.

Any and all advice and/or alternatives welcome.

Anyone else searching for budget camping items I hope this helps.

PS This is my first thread so I hope its not WTLW

WritinginCT
03-03-2009, 10:55
That's the Open Country set isn't it?

I used bigger OC billy pots for years car camping - cheap but more than servicable.

You can also get a similar pot at Antigravitygear.com for $10 (note this is a single pot).

optimator
03-03-2009, 14:32
Yep, that's the same 2 quart pot I paid $13 plus shipping for at antigravitygear.com ... I guess I better shop around better instead of trusting that I won't get screwed by a fellow hiker.:mad:

sarbar
03-03-2009, 23:44
Yep, that's the same 2 quart pot I paid $13 plus shipping for at antigravitygear.com ... I guess I better shop around better instead of trusting that I won't get screwed by a fellow hiker.:mad:

Not to be mean - but do realize that Amazon can buy in vastly huger quantities than the small retailers can. Many times you can find deals on sets, where there might be a weird size added. Not everyone wants a set though - hence single pots can be more expensive.

George isn't screwing anyone over - he would be selling the pots at the market price. He might not be the cheapest out there, but you are supporting a small business who does care for their customers.

fehchet
03-04-2009, 04:30

wow, we pounce fast

optimator
03-04-2009, 05:07
You guys are right, i'm sorry George. I was in quite a mood when I made that post and I vented my non related anger your way. Again I apoligize...:(

sarbar
03-04-2009, 12:11
Lol...well, yeah it is understandable :p Sucks to pay more - and I can understand that ;-)

tuswm
03-04-2009, 12:15
Optimator, I am sure its not that big a deal, also I would like to point out that for your money you got some form of service. I on the other hand did not get to ask any questions or get any advice from a knowledgeable sales person. I also don't even have any clue when or if I will ever get it. If you look at Amazon its currently out of stock.

sheepdog
03-04-2009, 12:20
You guys are right, i'm sorry George. I was in quite a mood when I made that post and I vented my non related anger your way. Again I apoligize...:(
I always like it when someone is big enough to say their sorry. Shows good character.:sun

tuswm
03-08-2009, 14:57
Well I got the pots Friday, that was fast for being out of stock. They are different then the ones in REI. They are black anodized and non stick. They are also super light. I think I could get away with just the small one for solo trips. I can fit my simmerlite the pots while nested with handle for the pot but the top for the small pot is not on the pot so it doesn't pit in just the small pot. But for trips with two or more people the small pot could be used for a bowl. The larger pot boiled water about 30% faster on my simmerlite in the kitchen but has one major flaw. There is no way to pick up the pot lid with out burning your hand with out some sort of a tool. Any ideas? I was thinking a small piece of rope maybe. The small metal finger hold in off to the side so when you left the lid off the lid doesn't balance or stay flat. so the side of the pot that comes up is right by your finger and burns your finger. why couldn't they put it in the middle just like the smaller pot? ***?

Wags
03-08-2009, 19:22
cut off the finger on an old wool glove. just toss that finger in with your cooking kit. weight will be negligable and won't be any hassle

ken209
03-09-2009, 15:11
get one of those silicone wrist bands and cut it, put a slit in it, pull the end through the slit.