PDA

View Full Version : Article about all the non-stuff planning for the hike.

MisterSweetie
03-03-2009, 11:52
I looked in the article section but couldn't find anything like this. I'm trying to think through all the preparations that need to be made before a hike.

Not "stuff" but things I need to consider so my wife will be fully prepared for my 6 month absence. This is the type thing I mean:

6 months rent
Travel expense for wife a few times
Insurance
(all the stuff that needs to be pre-paid)
etc.

Would anyone care to help me fill in the list? If there's an article, I just missed, it, please direct me that-a-way.

Thanks!
J

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2009, 12:00
The world simply continues on while you are away. Bills must be payed, homes cared for, cars registered and repaired, taxes prepared and filed, mail must be checked for legal notices, etc. Nothing really changes other than the fact that you aren't there to do it.

Spirit Walker
03-03-2009, 12:43
There is an essay in the Thruhiking Papers about that, entitled, "Is there a faster way outa here?"

http://spiriteaglehome.com/TH%20faster.html

For some of the on-trail questions, read "Thruhiking - Questions and Decisions"

http://spiriteaglehome.com/TH%20questions.html

Ginny

Lilred
03-03-2009, 12:43
You might want to leave another hiker guide with your wife so she has access to lodging and phone numbers in case she needs to get ahold of you and you're cell has no coverage. (if you're taking a cell) If you have your own vehicle, make sure she drives it every now and then.

berninbush
03-03-2009, 12:44
I would think your "list" of things like that will vary a lot depending on your individual circumstances. It's going to be very different for a hiker with a spouse at home vs. a single person who puts their stuff in storage for six months and hits the trail. Does your wife work? Is she earning money to cover her own food, living expenses, gas, etc.? Who normally does home maintenance type stuff? Do you have zero, one, or two cars? Is there a plan for your car to be driven and maintained? (It's really bad for a car to sit idle for six months and never started.)

Try explaining a bit more, and maybe an experienced hiker will be able to help you.

Blissful
03-03-2009, 16:16
Although some hikers abhor the thought - a spreadsheet might be helpful to list things you need to do and to leave with your wife. At least most bills, etc can usually be paid online or direct deposit which you could take care of (check also with your renter on that). Same with monitoring your bank account. You are in town often enough to keep track and call her if needed. And keep a list with you of items that will need to be taken care of during what times and months, etc.

I'd also have friends and family on hand too for her to call on to help out if things do go wrong with say cars, something on the homefront, etc. so she doesn't have to figure everything out on her own. Of course, unless she knows these things (I sure don't if something happens to a car!). And have a list of repair, garage you like, etc.

modiyooch
03-03-2009, 20:18
check the expiration date of your credit card. My daughter is out of the country for four months and they just sent her a new credit card to activate.