PDA

View Full Version : chances of snow..

mattsGAME2009
03-03-2009, 13:44
Hey, I was wondering if someone could offer some advice about hitting snow on the trail. My plan is to hit the Approach Trail on April 15th. What are my chances of getting snowed on, whether right away or later in the Smokies, or whatever?

Not that I mind snow, we just got 12-14" up here yesterday. But, I really don't like sleeping in it and any info would helpful for planning.

I apologize in advance if I could have found this info easier. I just got laid off from my job in Jan, but with a hefty severence I am saying "Damn the man, hike the AT" and am suddenly planning this entire trip in less than 3 months...

High Life
03-03-2009, 13:53
i think you definitely have a chance of snow in the smokies in the spring .

and don't worry too much about planning i flipped in 07 on three days planning :)

Kerosene
03-03-2009, 14:00
Snow if possible at elevation almost any month of the year, but the chances that you'll hit something you can't easily work through between April 15th and the end of September are pretty slim. Even these folks (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=911) worked through an unexpected dusting! Just be prepared for temps in the 20's until you get to Pearisburg.

Slimer
03-03-2009, 14:48
I planned my trip in about 4 hours, and then hit the trail on april 24th....lol
Yeah, you might see a little snow in the Smokies, but you have plenty of time.

Blissful
03-03-2009, 16:06
You should be pretty good by then. Might get some bouts of colder weather still, maybe some sleet. Could have some remaining icy areas in the Smokies, you would be hitting it near May roughly. Shouldn't be bad at all. Have fun.

mattsGAME2009
03-03-2009, 18:06
Thanks everyone. I was figuring that it would be along those lines.

I plan to purchase a Marmot Hydrogen 30* bag, think it will be enough? The Hydrogen is so light and packs so small, it's great. I don't mind sleeping in all my clothes, I've lived in Maine my whole life so cold doesn't bother me much, and I'm not afraid to sleep a little cold.

I'm just out of my element in planning. I remember going for a hike (1500-3300'), not too far from the AT, on tax day last year here in Maine. At that time there was still about 4-5 feet of snow all through the woods. I know GA,NC,TN mountains are that height and higher, but the snow is practically gone, I'm just having a hard time knowing what to expect.

Thanks again.

bigcranky
03-03-2009, 19:55
I use a 30-F western mountaineering bag from mid-March through early November on the Southern AT. The hydrogen will be fine. Just have some extra clothes to wear to bed early on if it gets cold.

garlic08
03-04-2009, 00:54
Last year we had blizzards in late April above 6000', sleeping on snow-covered ground in 15 degree temps. I'm sure glad I had my Marmot Helium 15 as well as a down vest.

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2009, 01:26
Though its rare, but the last couple years TN/NC/VA have had April snow. But usually the general thought is to keep your winter gear until Damascus or after leaving Mt Rogers.