PDA

View Full Version : American Discovery Trail - walk across America

Slo-go'en
03-03-2009, 14:16
A lady I met on the AT last year and have become good friends with has put the idea in my head to walk across America with her next year. I am very seriously considering this insane idea. It sounds like it would be one heck of a grand adventure.

Since much of this ADT "trail" is road walking of one kind or another, I'm thinking of making sort of a two wheel cart to drag the packs behind us. I think this would be a lot easier than wearing them. The trick will be making it light enough to be able to carry if need be for a day or two and be able to break it down to mail ahead when not needed during longer sections of real trail hiking.

Well, we got a whole year to plan this walk, I'm sure just doing that much will be a job in it's self.

Freeleo
03-03-2009, 14:29
my thought is a skateboard attached to the bottom of the pack...you would have to get the lightest components possible with wheels trucks and deck..

enjoy your trip

Gray Blazer
03-03-2009, 14:41
Did you ever see one of those radio controlled mini-blimps at a big sporting event?

Gray Blazer
03-03-2009, 14:42
A lady I met on the AT last year and have become good friends with has put the idea in my head to walk across America with her next year. I am very seriously considering this insane idea. It sounds like it would be one heck of a grand adventure.

Since much of this ADT "trail" is road walking of one kind or another, I'm thinking of making sort of a two wheel cart to drag the packs behind us. I think this would be a lot easier than wearing them. The trick will be making it light enough to be able to carry if need be for a day or two and be able to break it down to mail ahead when not needed during longer sections of real trail hiking.

Well, we got a whole year to plan this walk, I'm sure just doing that much will be a job in it's self.

Google hand cart pioneers.

Slo-go'en
03-03-2009, 14:46
my thought is a skateboard attached to the bottom of the pack...you would have to get the lightest components possible with wheels trucks and deck..

enjoy your trip

Thats an interesting idea, will have to look into that! Thanks!

MOWGLI
03-03-2009, 14:48
There is a trans-continental bike route. Some of the ADT is a bike route. I would go that route before dragging a pack on wheels. Whatever you decide, good luck! Send Lion King a PM. He could prolly offer some sage advice.

Lyle
03-03-2009, 16:12
I was part of HikaNation, the precursor hike to the ADT. On that hike, one of the guys who fancied himself an inventor, mounted wheels to the frame of his pack and developed a harness so that it could be pulled through Kansas and Oklahoma. If I remember right, it only lasted for a short time. The small wheels just weren't up to the rigors of day after day, all day use over relatively rough surfaces while loaded. Plus, it was't much of an advantage effort wise.

One couple had a six-month-old infant with them. They used a one wheeled PVC pipe and nylon netting "deer carrier". This was a much sturdier device that utilized a bicycle wheel. It did take two folks to manuver it efficiently. This couple carried their own packs and gear, but used this carrier to transport all the diapers, formula etc. that their daughter required. This carrier was capable of handling the relatively gentle trails, but they still had to by-pass much of the western route through the mountains and the 500 miles of the AT. It did handle the miles and load with little problem tho.

I guess what I'm saying is others have tried, but there does seem to be a reason that most people find a backpack to be the most efficient way to carry a load when walking. What would you do with your device when a pack was needed? My understanding is that much of the ADT alternates between trail and road. I think it would be a bigger hassle to have to keep switching, but have at it if you're so inclined. One never knows.

Spirit Walker
03-03-2009, 20:47
When Karl Bushby walked from the tip of Tierra del Fuego to Alaska (part of an around the world walk), he pulled a cart behind him. There is a lot of discussion about it in his first book, but he may also have information on his website. Now that he's walking in Russia, he's pulling a sled.
http://goliath.mail2web.com/

ki0eh
03-03-2009, 21:28
http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/conversion_kits.php?conID=4

Tipi Walter
03-03-2009, 22:22
When Karl Bushby walked from the tip of Tierra del Fuego to Alaska (part of an around the world walk), he pulled a cart behind him. There is a lot of discussion about it in his first book, but he may also have information on his website. Now that he's walking in Russia, he's pulling a sled.
http://goliath.mail2web.com/

And check out George Meegan would used a rolling cart on his 19,000 mile journey from Argentina to Alaska.

http://www.amazon.com/Longest-Walk-Odyssey-Human-Spirit/dp/039608723X

Gray Blazer
03-04-2009, 08:55
I guess what I'm saying is others have tried,
The Mormon hand cart pioneers. A lot of them died on the frozen prarie. Brigham Young had to send a rescue party from SLC.

My sister and her family walked from Gainesville, FL to Portland, OR in the 70's. Nike and Jansport sponsered them (The Walking Warriners). Part of my present backpack was carried across the entire USA.

Lion King
03-05-2009, 15:43
Over all unless youre on a bike, the pull cart is a really bad idea.

Lots of Ups and Downs, even on roads. (Well...except the bike path stretches)...and almost all of Nebraska.

I dont recommend it.

Lion King
03-05-2009, 15:44
To see what the trail looks like you can check out any of the 50 plus video clips at my website of the ADT.

wandering_bob
06-11-2009, 17:42
See the Dixon Rollerpack at http://dixonrollerpack.com
7-1/2 pounds

wandering_bob
06-11-2009, 17:44
video of the rollerpack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3f9fz6RMGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAAEn1qR1qw

Pedaling Fool
07-05-2009, 11:47
I've just started researching this "trail", trying to get a feel of how much road walking, not really crazy about road walking for long distances. I also get the impression you'll be out in the open (prairies/deserts) a lot, also not desireable.

I'll wait for more detailed questions after some more research, but can anyone put a rough figure on the amount of road walking, i.e. 30%, 50%....

World-Wide
07-05-2009, 12:15
This site may have the information you're looking for or at least get you in touch with the folks with the answers!! Good luck.......W-W

World-Wide
07-05-2009, 12:15
http://www.discoverytrail.org/ Site.....oops!!

GottaWalk Ken
12-15-2009, 14:13
I've just started researching this "trail", trying to get a feel of how much road walking, not really crazy about road walking for long distances. I also get the impression you'll be out in the open (prairies/deserts) a lot, also not desireable.

I'll wait for more detailed questions after some more research, but can anyone put a rough figure on the amount of road walking, i.e. 30%, 50%....

East of Colorado there is a lot of "road walking". I lump rail-to-trail, C&O Canal, levee roads and most bike trails into road walking because they are flat and hard pack if not paved. There are still quite a few places where you cannot take a loaded bike on the official ADT.

In Colorado things change - drastically! There is still significant road walking until just past Denver. Then you get into single track trails mostly. By the time you get to Utah the roads will become little used dirt 4x4 tracks in most cases. But much of Utah, Nevada, and the first half of California are remote, hot or cold, dry or snowy. Even though the trail follows the Kokopelli Trail (mountain bike) in Colorado and Utah, don't even think about taking a loaded bike on it.

The western half of the ADT more difficult than the CDT - Less water, more remote, hotter in summer and just as cold/snowy in winter.

Yes, you will be out in the open a lot. I'll guess 80% of the time. Even the roadwalks in farming country are probably not shaded.

Ok, off the top of my head I'll put the road walking number at over 50%, but some of those roads are butt-kickers. If you are planning to hike or bike this trail you need to do some planning for the western portion. I suggest you go to www.discoverytrail.org (http://www.discoverytrail.org) and check out the ADT journals at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) including our journal http://www.trailjournals.com/GottaWalkADT .:)

Doctari
12-16-2009, 10:06
I second the Dixon Roller pack.

Also, the ADT goes near my house (about 4 miles away) in Cincinnati, & the northern loop RIGHT past my moms house about 25 trail miles west of Cinti. so as you get close, drop a PM & I may be able to put you up, or at least a shower & camp in the ample back yard. :D

megamawax
02-09-2011, 01:24
I just discovered that I can pretty much see the ADT from my driveway as it goes through Muncie Indiana. I want to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail sometime in the next decade, so seeing as how I'm so close to the ADT, I can use that as preparation.

That dixon roller pack looks pretty cool. I'm not sure I'd really want to pay $300 bucks for one, though. Of course, if you're hiking 5000 miles, maybe it's worth it.

Thatguy
02-09-2011, 10:28
I would suggest going to Youtube and putting in "American Discovery Trail." Mike "Lion King" Daniels hiked the entire trail a few years back.

I've watched all of the 60 plus episodes of his travels on the ADT and I enjoyed every one of them. After watching his experiences you may be even more inspired to hike the ADT.

GOOD LUCK!

megamawax
02-10-2011, 02:45
I would suggest going to Youtube and putting in "American Discovery Trail." Mike "Lion King" Daniels hiked the entire trail a few years back.

I've watched all of the 60 plus episodes of his travels on the ADT and I enjoyed every one of them. After watching his experiences you may be even more inspired to hike the ADT.

GOOD LUCK!

I started to do just that - watched the first 14 episodes today (wanted to see how the trail looked between Muncie, Indiana and Cincinnati, Ohio as I'm contemplating doing that section). I will readily admit that I am a total noob when it comes to long-distance hiking. I did a bunch of day hikes while I was living in California, and I did a little camping, but I've never done a multi-day hike. I figured the terrain between Muncie and Cincinnati wouldn't be too bad and that it would probably take somewhere between 7-10 days. However, I've looked at some maps, and it appears that this whole section is filled with farm land and small towns. Where does one camp? On the side of the road? I had hoped that Lion King's videos might enlighten me on this point, or possibly show some of the trail, but from what I've seen so far, his videos focus more on his encounters with people with some glimpses of the trail. I don't say that as a criticism as that would be like saying a potato is no good because it's not cold, sweet, and creamy. A potato serves its function and ice creams serves another function. I enjoyed Lion King's videos and plan on watching the rest, but they serve a function different from what I was particularly interested in. I've contacted some people associated with the ADT, so hopefully they can provide me with some additional information or point me in the right direction. I don't know that I really want to pitch a tent in some farmer's field. But maybe that's what hikers do. I really have no idea.

Spokes
02-10-2011, 06:33
Not the ADT but a fellow from Gastonia, NC named Jeff Rudisill just finished his walk across the country and used a modified Runabout Stroller frame. Pictures of it are on this page of his blog (http://walkingman2011.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html). Scroll down to the bottom.

He said he picked the Runabout because it had "airless" tires, a pretty important feature.

Thatguy
02-10-2011, 09:56
I think the best people to answer such questions are the members of the American Discovery Trail staff.

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.discoverytrail.org/about/staff.html

I think they could probably answer any question you may have about hiking the trail.

I agree, Lion King's videos are for entertainment and they serve that purpose well.

Lion King
02-13-2011, 20:05
I started to do just that - watched the first 14 episodes today (wanted to see how the trail looked between Muncie, Indiana and Cincinnati, Ohio as I'm contemplating doing that section). I will readily admit that I am a total noob when it comes to long-distance hiking. I did a bunch of day hikes while I was living in California, and I did a little camping, but I've never done a multi-day hike. I figured the terrain between Muncie and Cincinnati wouldn't be too bad and that it would probably take somewhere between 7-10 days. However, I've looked at some maps, and it appears that this whole section is filled with farm land and small towns. Where does one camp? On the side of the road? I had hoped that Lion King's videos might enlighten me on this point, or possibly show some of the trail, but from what I've seen so far, his videos focus more on his encounters with people with some glimpses of the trail. I don't say that as a criticism as that would be like saying a potato is no good because it's not cold, sweet, and creamy. A potato serves its function and ice creams serves another function. I enjoyed Lion King's videos and plan on watching the rest, but they serve a function different from what I was particularly interested in. I've contacted some people associated with the ADT, so hopefully they can provide me with some additional information or point me in the right direction. I don't know that I really want to pitch a tent in some farmer's field. But maybe that's what hikers do. I really have no idea.
Actually a great deal of what you see in those clips IS the trail.

It aint all wilderness, not until you get west of Denver, before that, you have a lot of city/town/country road hiking, but thanks!

Alien Grey 1972
02-13-2011, 20:23
Hey just saw the title and thought I would recomend two great books
"A Walk Across America" & "The Walk West" both by Peter Jenkins.
These books are the reason I got into hiking.

barich942
02-10-2015, 22:10
Hey just saw the title and thought I would recomend two great books
"A Walk Across America" & "The Walk West" both by Peter Jenkins.
These books are the reason I got into hiking.

These books soud good

Tennessee Viking
02-11-2015, 08:53
I used to live just down the road from the Iowa route in Waterloo.

dangerdave
02-11-2015, 12:00
You've got friends in Ohio!

The ADT comes within several miles of my house south of Chillicothe (follows the Buckeye Trail), just as you leave Scioto Trails State Park. Like Doctari said, you are welcome to our home. And I make wine (good wine!). Make a note, and if you want to set it up, PM me: pick-up, drop-off, excellent resupply, food, showers, and shelter. I would love to help by supporting your hike!