PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof breathable jacket

saimyoji
03-03-2009, 15:53
I'm looking for a good, lightweight, rugged jacket with pitzips and an internal pocket or two and with no internal liner. I found the precip on sale at REI for some colors, but it has no internal pockets. Under $150 is my goal.

I've scoured Marmot, MountainHardwear, OR, they have some good ones, but they're out of my $$ range.

Any ideas?

tuswm
03-03-2009, 15:59
try spadout.com I can usualy find stuff close to half off there.

flemdawg1
03-03-2009, 18:30
Found via Spadout:
SD Hurricane for $40-$70

http://www.backcountry.com/store/SDS0332/Sierra-Designs-Hurricane-HP-Jacket-Mens.html?avad=1768_df8c4f

Summit
03-03-2009, 19:33
Well, your < $150 limitation rules out your best option, an eVent jacket like the one made by Integral Designs - either the 'rain jacket' or 'thru hiker' . . .

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product.cfm?id=24&CFID=936962&CFTOKEN=95759745&mainproducttypeid=1

Pro-Lite Gear has them on sale at $208 and $192:

http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_thru_hiker_jacket.html

skinewmexico
03-03-2009, 23:30
Watch Steep and Cheap, they come up all the time. Spadout is good too, if you know what you want.

modiyooch
03-03-2009, 23:44
I bought a waterproof, lightweight, breathable Northface jacket for running for $100. I bought it at my local camping outfitters. I does have pockets and no liner; but I'm not sure about the ruggedness issue.

Summit
03-04-2009, 08:03
My breathable Marmot Precip isn't all that breathable. Same for all the other 'breathables' until the eVent fabric came along. I can't state from experience because I don't have one (yet), but from what I've read they are a quantum leap forward in the waterproof-breathable dreamworld! ;)

I love my Precip . . . best ounce-for-ounce jacket I've ever had. Just bought my wife one on Steap and Cheap for $42. Makes a great rain jacket for most occasions. But in the AT hiking environment, you will get perspiration buildup in it, even with the pit zips open, under all but the coldest conditions. I love it as a 'keep warm' jacket. Combined with a fleece or wool sweater underneath, and doing moderate exercise, it will keep you warm into the twenties.

greenmanner
03-04-2009, 08:37
The Marmot Precip and Cloudveil Zorro are effective shells. Sierra Trading Post currently has the Zorro for $70. Also, sometimes you can catch EMS running one of their products for a low price--I used one of their Gore-tex Paclite shells (Deluge) for a number of years and would recommend it, assuming the updated model is still about the same. When I bought the deluge I believe it was on clearance for around $100. My opinion, though, is that Gore-tex is overrated--it was cutting edge thirty years ago and I really never noticed an advantage over the others I've tried (I've used a Precip and currently a Zorro). Some will disagree, but I don't believe in spending $200 for a shell--the number of full days I spend in rain or wet snow are few, and the thing rides along in my pack 95% of the time. And when I have spent full days in rain, I've ended up rather moist from sweating anyway--it's still sticky wearing an expensive shell. Buyer beware about the the claims of miracle fabrics.

dloome
03-04-2009, 19:18
Cabelas makes a Gore-Tex Paclite rain jacket for under $100.

I'd copy a link, but it's huge. Just do a search for "Gore-Tex Paclite" at cabelas.com.

I got mine two years ago for $60 on sale. Most Gore-Tex Paclite jackets cost at LEAST $150. The design is simple and functional, and of course the material performs extremely well. Construction is excellent, absolutely no problems with it so far. I guess I've carried this jacket for about 1,500 trail miles and it still looks new. Not sure what the weight is, but since it has pretty much no extraneous features, it's likely comparable to any other Pac-Lite shell.

tuswm
03-05-2009, 02:04
I have the mountain hardware paclite crucial jacket. I like it. but what is so great about this event stuff?

Summit
03-05-2009, 08:10
I have the mountain hardware paclite crucial jacket. I like it. but what is so great about this event stuff?Reports of field tests I've read claim the fabric really is waterproof and really is breathable . . . i.e. very little sweat condensation buildup after vigorous exercise with it zipped up. That is a breakthrough!

BTW, REI has an eVent jacket . . . had it in my hands a couple of hours ago. It's $280 but weighs about twice that of ID's, which I have not had the pleasure of handling.

Incahiker
03-11-2009, 08:39
I would definitely recommend the paclite rainy river offered by Cabela. Just type in rainy river paclite in cabelas search and you will find it. Only cost $100 and it should be way better the a precip.

I myself bought a 6 ounce eVENT bike jacket without a hood to wear my waterproof sombrero with in the rain. I hate hoods, but I love my sombrero, much better peripheal vision and sound isn't muffeled. If it gets to cold then I can just throw on a balvaca cause I will have one anyways if it is that cold.

Wags
03-11-2009, 10:12
http://marmot.com/spring_2009/mens/outerwear/shells/mica_jacket