PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Sleep System?

Vagrant Squirrel
03-03-2009, 16:46
For the past 3+ years I've been sleeping on a very lumpy mattress and am looking forward to getting some comfortable, peaceful sleep on the trail.

I was thinking about going with the Big Agnes trifecta...

15 degree bag, with the air core pad inserted into the memory foam kit, inserted into the bag pad sleeve. I realize this will be some extra weight, which I'm willing to deal with, however I have a few concerns.

1. Will this all roll up together inside the bag? I know the pad rolls up in the bag (once deflated), but I wasn't sure if the memory foam kit would as well.

2. Will this setup last me the entire trip, or will it prove useless in the warmer weather? I'll sleep on top of the bag if I have to, but I'd prefer not to wake up in a pool of sweat.

3. If I fit this and a solo tent into a 4600 cu in pack am I going to have enough room left over for food and various essential gear? (I've never had a pack before, so I have no clue how much "stuff" will fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flemdawg1
03-03-2009, 17:41
Don't know about the memory foam thingy, but my down BA Crater 15 and Air Core mattress take up only about 1600 cu in. You should be fine, esp. if your Air Core is an insulated one.

A New Convert
03-05-2009, 04:26
The memory foam thing is probably overkill as the aircore mattress is super comfortable and rather warm all on it's own. In any case it will all pack up smaller if you take out the pad and either fold it at the bottom of your pack or flat against the back wall of the pack.

Be certain ahead of time that you try out the bag though. I have had the BA system with two different bags and return both bags for being unacceptably cold.

BC

EMAN
03-05-2009, 09:31
Only thing to be aware of is that BA's temp ratings are....generous. I have the Zirkel (20 degree) and the Air Core and at 22 degrees one night, I thought I was going to freeze my ass off. And this is a generous ass we speak of.
Nonetheless, I like the stuff.

RAW
03-05-2009, 09:48
Only thing to be aware of is that BA's temp ratings are....generous. I have the Zirkel (20 degree) and the Air Core and at 22 degrees one night, I thought I was going to freeze my ass off. And this is a generous ass we speak of.
Nonetheless, I like the stuff.

My Zirkel (which is for sale, along with a pad) has kept me plenty warm in those temps.
But the key is having the insulated air core pad underneath you. I feel that's the part that BA is a little too generous on. And the dual-core insulated pad is even better.

If I was still a tent-sleeper, the only sleeping stuff I'd have would be the Big Agnes system. But since I'm a hammock guy . . . . I'm getting away from zip-up bags.

rpenczek
03-05-2009, 10:25
I changed from typical mummy bag and Prolite to a BA system a few years ago and really like it. I find the temp ratings fair (but I sleep with the window open a bit in the wither in Indiana). I use the pad that is rated to 15 degrees and either a 15 degree down bag or a 50 degree syn bag depending on the season. I am also 300LBs and a side sleeper and my hips do not touch the ground, very comfy.

As to space in the pack, I use a GG Nimbus Meridian (3600 sqin) and don't have any space issues, but I don't backpack in December/January/February either.

The Zirkel for sale on this site looks to be a good deal.

Valentine
03-05-2009, 12:57
Yes. I have BA horse thief 35f and it is more like a 40-45f.
As far as comfortable sleeping try a hammock with an underquilt.