PDA

View Full Version : JMT Questions

SouthMark
03-03-2009, 19:29
Has anyone ever started from Glacier Point? If so what was it like?
If flying out and back, do you wear your hiking clothes or or is there somewhere to store street clothes?
What kind of weather can be expected first two weeks of September for the last half of trail?

Sly
03-03-2009, 19:53
Haven't been to Glacier Point. I wear my hiking clothes. IMO, Sept is a great month to hike. Warm days, cool nights.

rt8877
03-03-2009, 20:03
I sent clean clothes to the PORTAL STORE by UPS, then got ride to hostel in Lone PINE ,for hot shower and clean room

Dogwood
03-03-2009, 22:46
If flying out and back, do you wear your hiking clothes or or is there somewhere to store street clothes?
What kind of weather can be expected first two weeks of September for the last half of trail?

I didn't start my JMT thru at Glacier Pt., but you sure could. You could get to Glacier Pt by either having the bus/shuttle drop you off($), drive there, get someone else to drive up there and drop you off, hitch, or hike there. From Glacier Pt. I would take the Panorama Trl past Illilouette Falls over to the JMT near Nevada Falls or just before Nevada Falls bear left to Clark Pt and check out Vernal Falls first and then continue to Nevada Falls and away down the JMT you go after that. I never thought of it, but what you are considering is extremely well worth it in terms of scenery and less touristas and it doesn't add a lot of miles to your hike. I'll even make the first day or two of the JMT even more of a great start for you. Consider this: Start your JMT hike at Bridalveil Falls, from the parking lot at Bridalveil Falls take the main exit road out of Yosemite Park for less than 1/2 mile, after less than 1/2 mile you will see the old gated chipping asphalt paved road that used to be the main road in/out of Yosemite Valley on your left, take it for about 3 miles slightly upgrade to the Pahono Trl.(U will see a rusty old iron sign where the old road and the Pahono Trl cross, the sign will say Inspiration Pt., take the Pahono Trl up(left) along the top of the Yosemite Valley rim past great view pts that overlook Yosemite Valley including Inspiration, Dewey and Taft Pts, across Bridalveil Creek(nice campsite located near the creek, good source of water), past Sentinel Dome(often overlooked in favor of its more popular cousin Half Dome, well worth the short(less than 1 mile) side hike up to the top of Sentinel Dome!), and onto Glacier Pt. And again, I think what you are considering is well worth it in so many ways. If you decide to start at Bridalveil Falls it would add 1 to 1 1/2 day to the beginning of your hike. Stay the first night legally at Bridalveil Crk or get an early start and hit the ground running and get all the way from Bridalveil Falls to the campground just after Nevada Falls(campground before Half Dome, hit Half Dome the next morning on Day 2 of your JMT thru-hike). If you do decide to start the JMT at the official JMT start at Happy Isles(avoiding Glacier Pt and the Pahono Trl) and you want a more scenic and exhilarating trail over a steep grade and during good weather take the Mist Trl. up to the JMT. The Mist Trl. takes you along a hike right next to Vernal Falls.

SouthMark
03-03-2009, 23:13
Thanks all. Great idea rt8877.

Dogwood, I chose Glacier Pt. because I could get a permit from there the date I wanted. Also as you said the scenery should be great and fewer tourists. I think it will only add about four miles and less of a climb to start off.

Hey Sly was good to meet you at SORUCK. Had a great time.

Dogwood
03-03-2009, 23:23
I think the backpackers campsite in Yosemite Valley is a great staging area for the start of a JMT thru-hike. It's cheap, especially when considering the costs of some of the other accommodations in the valley, a bit off the beaten track(less tourists and noise), close to the JMT Northern terminus TH at Happy Isle(also close to transportation that can take you to near Bridalveil Falls). It's easy access to or within walking distance to just about everything in the valley - (PO - you can mail home those civilian clothes if you desire or to somewhere else(like the Lone Pine PO) so that you have them there at the end of your JMT thru-hike or mail supplies(like fuel, knife, too much gear wt to carry on the plane out from Alabama, etc) to the Yosemite Valley PO, laundry, buffet , decently stocked med size grocery store, backcountry office(place where you get up to date JMT trail beta, pick up permit, rent bear canister, etc), showers, take in a 3 D movie, check out the Ansel Adams gallery, check out the park info(history, wildlife, etc.), walk to Yosemite Falls, etc etc etc. Plus, if you are coming all the way out from Alabama it's not a terrible idea to take a day off to rest before beginning your thru-hike! I would find it a shame for someone to come all the way out to Yosemite NP and Yosemite Valley, particularly if they have never been there or have spent a limited time there, and not take in what Yosemite Valley has to offer!

SouthMark
03-03-2009, 23:52
Thanks Dogwood. Some great info. I like day off to rest and take in Yosemite idea. I have been to Yosemite once about 12 years ago. Will more than likely stay at the backpackers campsite in YV. The day off will help in a final check to make sure that I have covered all of the bases, permit, bear canister, etc. Once again I really appreciate the help. What year did you do the JMT (or PCT)?

Dogwood
03-04-2009, 00:46
JMT thru-hike southbound in 07. PCT nobo 08. Although JMT and PCT share much of the same tread they are NOT exactly the same. I may see you in the vicinity of Yosemite NP and Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP in early Sept 09 as I'm planning a Sierra High Route thru-hike around that time. Definitely consider the Pahono Trl addition. It's well worth it IMO. And, it's not as complicated as I may have made it sound.

SouthMark
03-04-2009, 10:44
One more question, at least for now. Which of two down bags that I have, a Mtn. Hardware Phantom 15 and a Montbel U.L.SS.Down Hugger #5 (40º)? I was considering the Montbel (a lb lighter) and supplementing it with my long underwear and GoLite down jacket.

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 10:46
September? Go with the bag rated at 15 degrees. I used a 40 degree bag in July and August, but I had a 4 season tent that added 10-15 degrees. September is colder.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
03-04-2009, 12:19

Glacier point is a great view point and the trail leading to Nevada falls appears to be similar. Have not been on it, though. To get over to the JMT, you're dropping down deep, climb back up, walk a great route high above the valley, and then drop down again to the bridge over Nevada falls. A bit longer than the JMT, but you should have a lot less traffic on the trail.

The only problem I have with Glacier Point as a starting point are the more difficult logistics to get up there, unless you have somebody to drop you off.

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/muir2008/maps/glacier_pt_jmt_start.jpg

I'm looking into the same route as an alternate for one direction of my yo-yo hike this summer, but I have to work out the logistics, which are much more ocnvenient in the valley.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
03-04-2009, 12:28
about weather - I've never done the JMT that late, so no first hand experience. It's going to be colder than summer, frost at night pretty much anywhere, but nice warm days, even at higher elevations. Significantly shorter days, which is offset by no more mosquitoes. Less places to get water, but Bear Creek and Evolution Creek crossings should be much easier than in early season.

I've climbed 13,057ft Mt. Dana in Yosemite in mid-October 2001 - the night before was freezing and I needed to wear my wind breaker from about 11,500 feet to the summit only due to the chilly wind. I'd say September is probably the best weather for a hike on the JMT, because your summer T-storms are less likely and there'll be a lot less people on the trail, too. I'd love to do a September hike, except my hiking partners have to be back to school after Labor Day...

ChrisM
03-08-2009, 20:08
Our permits are for glacier point, and we are thinking about starting there, as it is downhill, versus the climb out of yosemite valley.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
03-10-2009, 13:02
I'm looking into the same route as an alternate for one direction of my yo-yo hike this summer, but I have to work out the logistics, which are much more convenient in the valley.

did some research - there's a "tour bus" going from the valley to Glacier Point three times a day. It takes about 90 - 120 mins to get up to Glacier Point and the first one leaves at 8:30am, so you can spend the night down there and get to a pretty reasonable 10am start on Glacier point

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_GuidedBusTours_GlacierPointTour.aspx

not a cheap ride.

There is a camp ground about 10 miles away from Glacier Point on the road that leads up there, so you could spend the night there and try to organize a ride from the campground to the trailhead in the morning.

If you drive yourself and plan to leave your car at the trailhead, there is supposed to be a long term parking lot at the trailhead.

Bear Cables
04-18-2009, 14:16
about weather - I've never done the JMT that late, so no first hand experience. It's going to be colder than summer, frost at night pretty much anywhere, but nice warm days, even at higher elevations. Significantly shorter days, which is offset by no more mosquitoes. Less places to get water, but Bear Creek and Evolution Creek crossings should be much easier than in early season.

I've climbed 13,057ft Mt. Dana in Yosemite in mid-October 2001 - the night before was freezing and I needed to wear my wind breaker from about 11,500 feet to the summit only due to the chilly wind. I'd say September is probably the best weather for a hike on the JMT, because your summer T-storms are less likely and there'll be a lot less people on the trail, too. I'd love to do a September hike, except my hiking partners have to be back to school after Labor Day...

What part of September would be best...early, mid? I am retiring from teaching in May and want to hike some of the JMT soon.

Pacific Tortuga
04-18-2009, 14:59
"If you drive yourself and plan to leave your car at the trailhead, there is supposed to be a long term parking lot at the trailhead".

Killer advice from all and if you go by car clean it out and place a car cover over it. It does help to detour the locals from break-ins :mad: and helps the crooks ( da bears) not get deported or euthanized.

ndwoods
04-24-2009, 23:45
I would have no issue flying out in my hiking clothes...I would want to figure out a way to wash before flying back...you and your clothes will STINK!:)

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-25-2009, 11:48
I would have no issue flying out in my hiking clothes...I would want to figure out a way to wash before flying back...you and your clothes will STINK!:)

There's a public laundromat in Lone Pine. Stay at the hostel (http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/50375/page/1?PHPSESSID=af3fd9e12c1bf1c130e611bdd54d1854#Post5 0375)and clean up before you leave.